As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat]ulator

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    redx wrote: »
    awesome bar
    Mouse gestures
    firebug
    stylish
    grease monkey
    no script
    adblock plus + element hiding helper

I can't imagine a more enjoyable web browsing experience. Firefox, with a little help, does everything I want, except for syncing my history(for improved and consistant awesomebar action), cookies and passwords between my desktop and netbook.

But it's so slow.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Feral wrote: »
    Passerbye wrote: »
    These tower defense style games are fun. :D

inorite?

A friend introduced me to Kongregate, so Desktop Tower Defense and Bloons Tower Defense III are being had.

Edit: I'm gonna have to tell Max about this, since he's looking for more game varieties to test his flash skills on.

Passerbye on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    murine gesticulation is stupid.

They have such tiny hands you can never really make it out.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Singing the chorus of "Troublesome '96" makes me feel a little guilty. Anyone else get this same problem?

Assuming you're not black, that is.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

which, it sort of is.

If you're some kind of sociopath.

Also hearing how people delight in killing others in D&D as a DM makes me realize d&d is not the game for me.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2009
    I had to Google murine.

Well done.

Organichu on
    edited October 2009
    Ryadic wrote: »
    Singing the chorus of "Troublesome '96" makes me feel a little guilty. Anyone else get this same problem?

Reminds me of when Dynamite Hack covered the easy e song, singing that song in public as a whitey whiterson got strange looks.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    awesome bar
    Mouse gestures
    firebug
    stylish
    grease monkey
    no script

I can't imagine a more enjoyable web browsing experience. Firefox, with a little help, does everything I want, except for syncing my history(for improved and consistant awesomebar action), cookies and passwords between my desktop and netbook.

But it's so slow.

Yeah, it takes whole tenths of a second longer to render a page, if I unblock all the slow ass java scripts and ads. All the stuff that takes a while to render I don't normally load, so it's a pretty minimal difference.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    awesome bar
    Mouse gestures
    firebug
    stylish
    grease monkey
    no script

But it's so slow.

yeah I would have said everything redx is saying, except chrome is so much faster it all becomes moot.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Preacher wrote: »

which, it sort of is.

I am. But my mask is pretty good and I'm not prone to violence or overtly hostile.

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited October 2009

Someone did a whole thing on when is and is not an allowed time.

singing along to a song is an allowed time, if you really like the song.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Bama wrote: »
    How about if you do like lolcats you go to icanhascheeseburger and knock yourself out?
    This seems to be the ideal solution.
    Good thing this is [chat] then.

As I said before, no one's making you click the spoilers to see the lolcats. :P
    Again, this is the kind of thing that got the G&T chat thread taken away. Note that I am not, in any way, shape, or form saying that D&D's chat thread is in danger of being taken away.

Thanatos on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    When Chrome gets AdBlock, I'll try it.

Thanatos on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

which, it sort of is.

Also hearing how people delight in killing others in D&D as a DM makes me realize d&d is not the game for me.

I dunno, I am playing in my first ever D & D game and my buddy who is GM said we're supposed to "feel like heroes."

Having said that, he is not averse to letting us get our asses whupped when we do things which are tactically stupid.

desc on
    edited October 2009
    [oops thats not censored.[/URL]

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I love Bloons tower defense.

Quid on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    When Chrome gets AdBlock, I'll try it.

This and the slightly iffy dealing with certain things (like no WYSIWYG on boards) are the key problems. Sadly, I don't Chrome will ever get an adblocker.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

which, it sort of is.

Well, I don't delight in it, but you ARE supposed to be both adversary and narrator.

the thing about the story with the dm making the dragon eat the guy- imagine this is "real life" and not some game. you jump at a dragon it will eat you.

i am just saying that like...when I DM I make it realistic. You are a huge warrior? cool but that doesn't mean you can take out like 40 gnolls by yourself. This isn't God of War.

tangent sorry I am now in an arguing mood

Arch on
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Than if I posted many multiples of photos all the time, or even half of the time, I would see your complaints as warranted. Given that I post photos occasionally, and rarely for more than a single page or two (and if I'm doing photo trees I always spoiler, 'cause otherwise that's just rude) in any given posting session, I maintain that you're just complaining because you don't like lolcats.

Passerbye on
    edited October 2009
    desc wrote: »

I dunno, I am playing in my first ever D & D game and my buddy who is GM said we're supposed to "feel like heroes."

Having said that, he is not averse to letting us get our asses whupped when we do things which are tactically stupid.

I don't mind a challenge, but the way some people talk about it from the nerd rage and other threads I've see. Some DMs find that if the players lived they failed, and I think thats kind of a dumb way to play. I mean Gabes d&d games sound fantastic by comparison to "LOL SPAWNED SATAN KILLED MY PCS LOL".

Also I really despise people who start and end a sentence with lol. Just lol in general.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited October 2009
    MrMister wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    I'm with MrMr on this. There's really no good justification for driving while high, and advocacy seems misplaced. It's doubly illegal and it puts people at siginificant risk. Granted it's not the worst thing you could be doing to put other people at risk, but it is still a colossally irresponsible thing to do.

Question: would the same principle extend to anti-anxiety medication (like Xanax or Klonopin) if the person in question had a bona fide general anxiety disorder?

No one needs to smoke before driving. Someone might need to take Xanax before driving. But, if Xanax does cause a dangerous impairment, then that person should try to use alternate arrangements in any but the most pressing circumstances.

What if marijuana is the most effective antianxiety medication available for a given person with the fewest side effects?

Alternately phrased: just because marijuana has been shown to be impairing in normal individuals does not necessarily mean it is impairing in individuals who have an endogenous chemical imbalance compensated for by cannabinoids.

Corollary: some "recreational" smokers may be self-medicating such an imbalance.

Would your argument potentially apply to alcohol as well? I mean someone suffering from DTs is probably more at a risk of driving than someone a little drunk.

The argument I'd make is that if someone's menatl, psychological or emotional state precludes them from driving then they shouldn't be driving. In my experience, even fairly low levels of a depressant like Xanax siginifcantly dull my reaction time and focus. I'm not a physician, but it strikes me that this is the expected result of taking Xanax.

Granted there are outliers and exceptions. Some people honestly probably do "drive drunk better than they drive sober" and some people can probably reliably land a jumbo jet full of passengers while blazed out of their minds. It's still a horrible idea to make these outliers and exceptions a basis for policy.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited October 2009
    I don't get people saying Firefox is slow.

How fucking instantaneous do you need this shit?

Cause my stuff always loads faster than it takes for me to click on another tab.

Quid on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ugh.

Mom ran my phone minutes out talking about kitties and horses and ducks.

Incenjucar on
  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I don't think you really get to feel like heroes unless you're in serious peril sometimes.

People quickly forget the monty haul dungeon crawls, but the remember the epic fight where someone had to scramble to stabilize a fallen comrade while someone else unleashed an attack that barely defeated the monster that was a standard action away from murdering the entire party.

Bama on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited October 2009
    Arch wrote: »

which, it sort of is.

Well, I don't delight in it, but you ARE supposed to be both adversary and narrator.

the thing about the story with the dm making the dragon eat the guy- imagine this is "real life" and not some game. you jump at a dragon it will eat you.

i am just saying that like...when I DM I make it realistic. You are a huge warrior? cool but that doesn't mean you can take out like 40 gnolls by yourself. This isn't God of War.

tangent sorry I am now in an arguing mood
    But 4th is designed to let you FEEL all Kratos-like.

Why do so many DMs running 4th ignore minions? They are the Puttys of the D&D world. Send a dozen at your party before the real fight and make 'em feel like badasses.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    edited October 2009
    If you send me either inventory reports which only show depletions without a current count or only show inventory per-bottle, you are Hitler.

This has been your daily tip on how not to annoy desc at work.

desc on
    edited October 2009
    Quid wrote: »

You need to share your love more often, then. I only recently discovered it.

Passerbye on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    These tower defense style games are fun. :D

inorite?

A friend introduced me to Kongregate, so Desktop Tower Defense and Bloons Tower Defense III are being had.

Edit: I'm gonna have to tell Max about this, since he's looking for more game varieties to test his flash skills on.

Gemcraft is a hells of addicting tower defense game on Kongregate, too.

And then there's Vector Tower Defense: http://www.candystand.com/play/vector-td-2

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    edited October 2009
    Than if I posted many multiples of photos all the time, or even half of the time, I would see your complaints as warranted. Given that I post photos occasionally, and rarely for more than a single page or two (and if I'm doing photo trees I always spoiler, 'cause otherwise that's just rude) in any given posting session, I maintain that you're just complaining because you don't like lolcats.

by thor, shut up about it already.

either keep posting lolcats, or don't.

please don't keep posting about why you would be justified in doing so. Its much worse than the lolcats themselves.

just send him a bunch of PM's self-righteously excusing your actions. Everyone will like that better.

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited October 2009
    Bama wrote: »
    How about if you do like lolcats you go to icanhascheeseburger and knock yourself out?
    This seems to be the ideal solution.
    Good thing this is [chat] then.

As I said before, no one's making you click the spoilers to see the lolcats. :P
    Again, this is the kind of thing that got the G&T chat thread taken away. Note that I am not, in any way, shape, or form saying that D&D's chat thread is in danger of being taken away.

Not this again.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited October 2009
    You gotta fight!

dun nuh

For your right!

dun nuh

To loooooooooooooolcat!

:roll:

Bama on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Not this again.

It's like the perfect troll.

Inquisitor on
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    doot doot

what to do with my day?

I can only read The City & The City in short bursts, it's kind of tiring

skippydumptruck on
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    syndalis wrote: »

Someone did a whole thing on when is and is not an allowed time.

singing along to a song is an allowed time, if you really like the song.

I understand singing along is allowed. Hell, I personally believe that saying in a context that carries no racism in it whatever can be acceptable at all.

However when the lyrics state, "All you N****s die," I'm thinking it's not quite "ok".

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2009
    Quid wrote: »

You need to share your love more often, then. I only recently discovered it.

Gem tower defense is a good one too, but not as enjoyable visually.

Lots of really fun shooters on there too. The bubble shooter is one of my favorites.

Quid on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    MrMister wrote: »
    I'm with MrMr on this. There's really no good justification for driving while high, and advocacy seems misplaced. It's doubly illegal and it puts people at siginificant risk. Granted it's not the worst thing you could be doing to put other people at risk, but it is still a colossally irresponsible thing to do.

Question: would the same principle extend to anti-anxiety medication (like Xanax or Klonopin) if the person in question had a bona fide general anxiety disorder?

No one needs to smoke before driving. Someone might need to take Xanax before driving. But, if Xanax does cause a dangerous impairment, then that person should try to use alternate arrangements in any but the most pressing circumstances.

What if marijuana is the most effective antianxiety medication available for a given person with the fewest side effects?

Alternately phrased: just because marijuana has been shown to be impairing in normal individuals does not necessarily mean it is impairing in individuals who have an endogenous chemical imbalance compensated for by cannabinoids.

Corollary: some "recreational" smokers may be self-medicating such an imbalance.

Would your argument potentially apply to alcohol as well? I mean someone suffering from DTs is probably more at a risk of driving than someone a little drunk.

The argument I'd make is that if someone's menatl, psychological or emotional state precludes them from driving then they shouldn't be driving. In my experience, even fairly low levels of a depressant like Xanax siginifcantly dull my reaction time and focus. I'm not a physician, but it strikes me that this is the expected result of taking Xanax.

Granted there are outliers and exceptions. Some people honestly probably do "drive drunk better than they drive sober" and some people can probably reliably land a jumbo jet full of passengers while blazed out of their minds. It's still a horrible idea to make these outliers and exceptions a basis for policy.

Well, policy when it comes to driving is pretty much fucked in the ass in the US because even though driving is technically a privilege we treat it more like a right (and we kind of have to because public transit sucks in so many locations).

I'm just talking about social shame, passing moral judgment on people. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    edited October 2009
    I liked gemcraft more than bloons, but the power progression in gemcraft makes the game stupid easy after a certain point.

Bama on
    edited October 2009
    Wally, he brought it up. As well, a couple of others (you) have expressed similar sentiments. Why would I send a PM when [chat] can address all of you?

Besides, he's trying to make it out like I'm spamming with photos, which is not even remotely true. Sorry for expecting my mods to meet a higher standard. :?

Passerbye on
    edited October 2009
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Not this again.

It's like the perfect troll.

Everytime I see perfect anything I always see Christopher Mcdonalds face from perfect storm.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited October 2009
    desc wrote: »

I don't mind a challenge, but the way some people talk about it from the nerd rage and other threads I've see. Some DMs find that if the players lived they failed, and I think thats kind of a dumb way to play. I mean Gabes d&d games sound fantastic by comparison to "LOL SPAWNED SATAN KILLED MY PCS LOL".

Also I really despise people who start and end a sentence with lol. Just lol in general.

Oh, yeah. Nerdrage thread does have examples of abject failure.

@Bama + Syndalis: Agreed, and my party nearly got wiped fighting a plant-blob monster thingy and an undead archer and the near-deathness is what made it awesome (I got to announce something about my tree-form warden wading out of the water with his half-branchy body covered in blood and plant matter and felt all 8-) about it).

And minions are absolutely the key. I demand mooks to slap aside and it's not like they can't do a bit of damage before you hit 'em, so they are one of my favorite elements so far in the way fights have been structured.

edit: tldr I like the general approach and rules of 4E a ton. I have owned previous D&D editions and never bothered to play them.

desc on
This discussion has been closed.