As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The New GOP Thread: Taking Anti-Intellectualism to a Whole New Level

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    There are liberal Republicans? Does that mean there are also conservative Democrats?
    There aren't really liberal Republicans anymore. There have to be moderates for there to be enough middle ground to link with the liberals.

Conservative Democrats are pretty much universally self-interested shit heads.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    There are liberal Republicans? Does that mean there are also conservative Democrats?
    There aren't really liberal Republicans anymore. There have to be moderates for there to be enough middle ground to link with the liberals.

How dare they represent their constituency instead of the Party!

Salvation122 on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I want to know what leads to the conclusion of conservative Democrats automatically being self-interested shit heads. We've got two people making that claim.

Henroid on
    edited October 2009

Their constituency is the pharmaceutical and coal industries?

To expand, conservative Dems tend to go against the polled wishes of their constituencies when future campaign funding is on the line.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It would be more accurate to call them corporate democrats. They're voting against the interests of their constituents and what they want in favor of what the corporations that own them want.

Dr Mario Kart on
    edited October 2009
    It would be more accurate to call them corporate democrats. They're voting against the interests of their constituents and what they want in favor of what the corporations that own them want.
    They refer to themselves as Conservative Democrats, though. At least a large portion of them do. They are explicitly corporatist, but they want to claim to be conservative because it doesn't have the same immediate negative connotations, or at least it didn't used to.

OptimusZed on

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

The problem with conservative democrats and liberal republicans is that they're not being honest. They're doing what they need to do to stay in office while pursuing a private agenda that their constituents wouldn't approve of. If they wanted to genuinely serve their constituents, they'd register independent and hold universally centrist policies.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh we're going with a very specific definition of Conservative, okay that helps my understanding here.

Henroid on
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Let's take the example of Bobby Bright (D, AL-2).

Bobby Bright picked up a seat that had been Republican controlled since '65 with a 0.6% margin of victory. He is from a state widely regarded as being the most radically conservative in the nation. He votes with the party 70% of the time. Expecting him to fall in lockstep with Pelosi is madness.

Salvation122 on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Let's take the example of Bobby Bright (D, AL-2).

Bobby Bright picked up a seat that had been Republican controlled since '65 with a 0.6% margin of victory. He is from a state widely regarded as being the most radically conservative in the nation. He votes with the party 70% of the time. Expecting him to fall in lockstep with Pelosi is madness.

In general, I can understand this. However, with the party's most prominent domestic priority you'd hope for some support even if it was risky. I don't like cowardly legislators.

Also: Alabama? Pffft, Oklahoma is way more conservative.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Bright was an independent for 9 years in which he served as Montgomery's mayor, apparently doing a very good job. I'm not sure why he joined the dems last year.

Donkey Kong on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Nobody's saying that Bright and Matheson have to vote our way all the time. However, all of the Democrats from Arkansas (Mike Ross) are against the public option, and their constituents are for it. Their seats are safe.

Captain Carrot on
    edited October 2009
    Scalia update: an asshole, but not a gigantic racist asshole. He was misquoted.

enlightenedbum on
  • The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

ummm... Blue Dogs?

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Bright was an independent for 9 years in which he served as Montgomery's mayor, apparently doing a very good job. I'm not sure why he joined the dems last year.

Didn't want to be in the minority, which is understandable because being a freshman congressman is tough enough as it is.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited October 2009
    Scalia update: an asshole, but not a gigantic racist asshole. He was misquoted.

I like that. I'm gonna borrow it. Also, it's something of a relief to know he was misquoted. I mean, not in a "I like that guy don't be unfair" kind of way. But in a, "oh okay, our Supreme Court isn't as embarrassing" kind of way.

Henroid on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

It's not. They had to pick an alternate target after people got out ahead of the impending SEIU demonization and made a firebreak.

A, the AARP is full of old people, and old people vote in droves and vote Republican.
    B, the AARP is one of the most powerful lobbying groups in Washington and can easily defend itself with little to no outside support.
    C, ACORN and SEIU are organizations that, had they not been brought up in this context, have very low name recognition otherwise. EVERYBODY knows the AARP. They're much harder to define just on that.

This is going to turn out disastrously badly. Let them take their shot.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    edited October 2009
    Gosling wrote: »

It's not. They had to pick an alternate target after people got out ahead of the impending SEIU demonization and made a firebreak.

A, the AARP is full of old people, and old people vote in droves and vote Republican.
    B, the AARP is one of the most powerful lobbying groups in Washington and can easily defend itself with little to no outside support.
    C, ACORN and SEIU are organizations that, had they not been brought up in this context, have very low name recognition otherwise. EVERYBODY knows the AARP. They're much harder to define just on that.

It's like you know me! <3

It's the usual thing people have been coming to expect, news wise. The reaches for offense measures is getting thinner, making much less sense, etc. I mostly want to see the backlash they're going to receive in alienating any constituents.

Henroid on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think the question is whether they can bully AARP into quietly backing off their support of Democratic reforms.

Maybe they can.

Speaker on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

The last line of the article makes me look forward to the days to come. "It's our turn"? Are we going to see an army of the eldery attacking the GOP?

Delzhand on
  • big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Because in 2008, there were tons of people pissed at Bush willing to vote against anybody with an R next to their name?

Also, there aren't any liberal Republicans in Congress anymore because Dems or super-right wing primary challengers beat them in 2006 or 2008. Lots of those Blue Dog seats used to be Republican - moderate or mixed districts that switched from liberal Republican to Blue Dog.

big l on
  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Delzhand wrote: »
    The last line of the article makes me look forward to the days to come. "It's our turn"? Are we going to see an army of the eldery attacking the GOP?
    Grandma doesn't stand a chance against GOP Death Squads.

Bama on
    edited October 2009
    Speaker wrote: »
    I think the question is whether they can bully AARP into quietly backing off their support of Democratic reforms.

Maybe they can.

Bullying old people never seems to go well. They are old. And crotchety.

enlightenedbum on
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Rep. Mike Pence - GOP douchebag of the day
    It is deeply offensive to their service and to millions of Americans to pile so-called 'hate crimes' legislation onto a bill that authorizes critical resources for our troops. Hate crimes legislation is antithetical to the First Amendment, unnecessary and will have a chilling effect on religious freedom.
    I'm not sure how legislation against hate crimes is offensive to the troops since the troops are fighting for the right of the people in this country to live true to themselves and not have to face persecution because they're gay, black, or whatever. Also, apparently committing a hate crime is an expression of religious freedom.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2009/10/pence-obama-has-used-his-position-as-commander-in-chief-to-advance-a-radical-social-agenda.php

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Bullio wrote: »
    It is deeply offensive to their service and to millions of Americans to pile so-called 'hate crimes' legislation onto a bill that authorizes critical resources for our troops. Hate crimes legislation is antithetical to the First Amendment, unnecessary and will have a chilling effect on religious freedom.
    I'm not sure how legislation against hate crimes is offensive to the troops since the troops are fighting for the right of the people in this country to live true to themselves and not have to face persecution because they're gay, black, or whatever. Also, apparently committing a hate crime is an expression of religious freedom.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2009/10/pence-obama-has-used-his-position-as-commander-in-chief-to-advance-a-radical-social-agenda.php

pffft, i thought our troops were fighting because we hate muslims!

NotYou on
    edited October 2009

Is he Westboro's liaison to the government or something?

Henroid on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Hate crime laws are another one of those things that are philosophically unsound but highly practical. Hate crimes traditionally are under-punished compared to non-hate crimes, so laws are made to arbitrarily make them worse. They're the criminal law equivalent of affirmative action.

jothki on
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Of all the pathetic invocations of Amendment rights I've seen, I think that takes the cake.

Cervetus on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited October 2009
    I hate the AARP. I hope they and the GOP destroy each other.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Irond Will wrote: »
    I hate the AARP. I hope they and the GOP destroy each other.

If you ever need support for a short-sighted plan that will ultimately fuck over future generations, the AARP's got your back!

Scooter on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Let the AARP smack the GOP around for a while, then close up the Country Kitchen Buffet before they get too powerful.

KalTorak on
  • sterling3763sterling3763 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hey video game enthusiasts! Have I got a new game for you.

Oh, sure it's crazy, but it's not mainstream. But it is being advertised on Drudge. If you refresh a few times you can see it for yourself.

sterling3763 on
    edited October 2009
    So this is the conservative answer to "George W. Bush was the worst president in history".

STAY CLASSY POLITICAL NUTJOBS.

Donkey Kong on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    heh, how do you play it?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »
    heh, how do you play it?
    It would almost be worth it to have PA flood it with a group called Poe's lAw and have Obama's evil nazi forces win

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    heh, how do you play it?

Use your powers of cognitive dissonance!

You might be sitting in your trailer at the moment, staring blankly at a computer monitor while wearing some piece of Nascar merchandise with a fast food sheen to your skin, but you think you're saving America!

RedTide on
    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hey video game enthusiasts! Have I got a new game for you.

Oh, sure it's crazy, but it's not mainstream. But it is being advertised on Drudge. If you refresh a few times you can see it for yourself.

I... what...

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    RedTide wrote: »
    heh, how do you play it?

Use your powers of cognitive dissonance!

You might be sitting in your trailer at the moment, staring blankly at a computer monitor while wearing some piece of Nascar merchandise with a fast food sheen to your skin, but you think you're saving America!

Special prizes if you're from VA, NJ or NY-23 and you play continuously next Tuesday during voting hours!

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
This discussion has been closed.