As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mini-Phalla] Blackadder Goes Phorth [Result - Village Victory]

18910111214»

• Options
    MicroMicro Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Day 1 and 2 were absolute bloodbaths, I couldn't believe what was happening when all the orders came in.

The vig killing the seer on day 1, and then being killed himself on day 2 was certainly interesting - but this phalla has shown me more than anything else that Guards can be utterly powerful creatures, game winners in fact in this case.

The win, though, goes down almost solely to kime spotting Bob's inactivity right before the end. Without it the mafia would have won straight up.

Micro on
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Jobastion wrote: »
    Micro wrote: »
    I by the way, hate inactivity, and thus hated even trying to use that plan, because it was a horrible thing to do, basically telling bob not to play the game.
    I guess, what I'm trying to say, is inactivus is a great thing, but should always come second to the will of the players, and if the players want to kill someone, let them... Then deal with inactivity if someone's still alive.

Don't you think it's depressing that we've spent longer discussing inactivity and the mechanics surrounding it than the village spent discussing who to vote for on ANY night?

I do. I was greatly depressed this entire game at the lack of activity. Especially with your exceedingly excellent narrations, and the awesome base material.

Well it didn't help that most of the specials died on night one.

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Job, one thing you've said has really stuck with me though - the impact on Bob.

With the way my mechanics played out, it actively meant that she was encouraged not to participate in the game. That's a real shitty thing for me to encourage and that fact, above anything else, will make me reconsider mechanics in future, so thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Bob, I'm sorry.

Micro on
  • Options
    CleonicusCleonicus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Day 1 and 2 were absolute bloodbaths, I couldn't believe what was happening when all the orders came in.

The vig killing the seer on day 1, and then being killed himself on day 2 was certainly interesting - but this phalla has shown me more than anything else that Guards can be utterly powerful creatures, game winners in fact in this case.

The win, though, goes down almost solely to kime spotting Bob's inactivity right before the end. Without it the mafia would have won straight up.

Look two posts up from kime's ;)

Also, I managed to have the most posts in this mini, aside from the host. And I think I contributed very little to the conversation other than I'm a villager.

Cleonicus on
    Debate 'n' DeHockey team: Astronauts
  • Options
    JobastionJobastion Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Also I'm ragging on you because if by the clarification you gave earlier, we should actually have seen Fluffy die to inactivus. Fluffy died to no mans on day 4, but was inactive days 1 and 3, and should have wiff'd it then. Which is why simon, having been equally inactive as fluffy was such a shock to see that happen to.

Jobastion on
    Recommended reading - Worm (Superhero Genre) & Pact (Modern Fantasy Thriller) |
    Backlog Wars - Sonic Generations | Steam!
    Viewing the forums through rose colored glasses... or Suriko's Ye Old Style and The PostCount/TimeStamp Restoral Device
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    A couple questions:

1) Was Daius really an unkillable guard?
    2) There's no way we should have lost with the seer dead day 1. No way. Inactivus killing half the mafia was...very saddening. Where's the question in this? Oh wait, there it is :P

So yeah, village winning with zero seerings while having no aim whatsoever....blargh. :(

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Oh Bob, what the heck was that part of your picture that's cut off supposed to say anyway?

Jobastion on
    Viewing the forums through rose colored glasses... or Suriko's Ye Old Style and The PostCount/TimeStamp Restoral Device
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Also I'm ragging on you because if by the clarification you gave earlier, we should actually have seen Fluffy die to inactivus. Fluffy died to no mans on day 4, but was inactive days 1 and 3, and should have wiff'd it then. Which is why simon, having been slightly more active than fluffy was such a shock to see that happen to.

I just missed it on Day 3, as I said in the thread I had a few things going on. I can only apologise for that, bad hosting on my part.

I picked it up on Day 4, was going to kill him to inactivus, but then a kill order came in for him anyway, and as it was something that couldn't trickle I let it go.

I can understand that it sent out mixed messages - something I will learn from

Micro on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    El Skid wrote: »
    A couple questions:

2) There's no way we should have lost with the seer dead day 1. No way. Inactivus killing half the mafia was...very saddening. Where's the question in this? Oh wait, there it is :P

So yeah, village winning with zero seerings while having no aim whatsoever....blargh. :(

1) No - he just kept guarding himself
    2) One of the kills was by self-design, the other was due to others's inactivity

Listen, I know this is frustrating, utterly frustrating, for the mafia - you SHOULD have won, and only things outside of your control stopped that being the case. I do apologise.

Micro on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Anywhoo, it was still fun, and down to the wire, and I'm writing this one down as a win with a little star by it that leads to a footnote that says the GM fudged the dice ^_^

Jobastion on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Feel free to do so!

(I think we're all winners here - I DOOO hope it was fun, despite the problems with it)

Micro on
  • Options
    DaiusDaius Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Man, you say that as if I was doing it to be a dick.

I did guard Loser that one time.

Daius on
    bigbosssig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    A couple questions:

2) One of the kills was by self-design, the other was due to others's inactivity

Listen, I know this is frustrating, utterly frustrating, for the mafia - you SHOULD have won, and only things outside of your control stopped that being the case. I do apologise.

Oh not blaming you, Micro. Just frustrated with the way things worked out.

The only real thing I'd ask you to change for next time is: Don't have inactivus kill people after all the votes are in and before everything happens for the night. If someone is winning the vote, they are dying anyway, and removing them before the vote hits them means that people who have been planning on things have those plans shot out the window. If someone is going to die, either make it right at the start of the day, or if you have to halfway through a day. Doing it that way just makes things...random.

Don't get me wrong though- I had fun and all. And thanks for running, as always :)

Edit- Self guarding is also pretty powerful, so maybe that's a second thing lol

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Daius wrote: »

No, not at all! You played an almost PERFECT guarding game.

Micro on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The thing that won it for the goodies? Kime spotting Bob's inactivity.

I think the mafia boards attributed this to me, too, but I just want it known that the credit goes to Cleo:
    Cleonicus wrote: »
    BobCesca is going to die to Inactivus tonight, and everything will be screwed.

I'm just the one who asked the official clarification (which was important, but I didn't actually spot it.)

...'course, I'm happy to take credit for the win :P. And survival! That rarely happens.
    2) There's no way we should have lost with the seer dead day 1. No way.

Seers are important, but there's no way that an early death for a seer completely ends the chances of a win for the good guys. I mean, obviously you guys should have won, really, but due to general skill on your part and flailing on the village's until the end. Not just because you happened to hit the seer Day One.

Daius, it's the best part of being a guard in a Micro Phalla :P.

Addendum: As Micro said, you did a fantastic job guarding, Daius. So much so that I was suspecting some sort of auto-guard ability...

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    A couple questions:

The only real thing I'd ask you to change for next time is: Don't have inactivus kill people after all the votes are in and before everything happens for the night. If someone is winning the vote, they are dying anyway, and removing them before the vote hits them means that people who have been planning on things have those plans shot out the window. If someone is going to die, either make it right at the start of the day, or if you have to halfway through a day. Doing it that way just makes things...random.

Don't get me wrong though- I had fun and all. And thanks for running, as always :)

You chaps are right - from henceforth, in Micro games, Inactivus will hunger at the beginning of the NEXT day, not at the end of the inactive day.

So there you are.

Micro on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    kime wrote: »

Seers are important, but there's no way that an early death for a seer completely ends the chances of a win for the good guys. I mean, obviously you guys should have won, really, but due to general skill on your part and flailing on the village's until the end. Not just because you happened to hit the seer Day One.

Heh. I did mention the total lack of aim as well just below that. :P

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Heh. I did mention the total lack of aim as well just below that. :P

I cut it out to make your point weaker :lol:.

kime on
    Steam profile
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    A couple questions:

You chaps are right - from henceforth, in Micro games, Inactivus will hunger at the beginning of the NEXT day, not at the end of the inactive day.

So there you are.

<3

Jobastion on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Kime - Villager, not evil

Muhahahahah, my ass.

Hahaha, I'm never evil, silly! Don't you know that?

KIIIIIIIIIIIME

The whole game was interesting to watch, with excellent narrations, Micro. ;-)

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Oh, and if the current hosting situation continues that next Micro-mini will be REAL soon.

Micro on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    B:L wrote: »
    Kime - Villager, not evil

Muhahahahah, my ass.

Hahaha, I'm never evil, silly! Don't you know that?

KIIIIIIIIIIIME

The whole game was interesting to watch, with excellent narrations, Micro. ;-)

Thanks B:L, much appreciated. PLAY NEXT TIME!!

Micro on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Oh, and if the current hosting situation continues that next Micro-mini will be REAL soon.

Double <3

Jobastion on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Dare I ask for a sneak preview of the topic?

Apparently so

El Skid on
  • Options
    CleonicusCleonicus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

And the sign-ups are GO!!
    Not really

Cleonicus on
    Debate 'n' DeHockey team: Astronauts
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'm putting together a conversion mechanic based on genetics - in effect each player will have 'genes' and it takes two players to convert another to their side. The genes of the 'parents' will create the genes of the convertees.

Genes = abilities/powers

Basically, I need to run a mini some time soon to test this mechanic and work out the kinks in it - I know it'll have some troubles, and may even ruin the game, but will need people to bear with me. Once I've got the mechanic sorted it will lead to my main, which will be a HUGE faction based game set in the Medieval conflicts between England and France, particularly the hundred years war. The genetic mechanic - once sorted out - will be the Royal blood line (the specials) on either side.

I can't guarantee that it'll be my next mini, because I've also started writing the Fox and Phalla 2, but it'll be pretty soon.

Micro on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Can I be Lord Flashheart in this game, and impregnate everyone? (Yes, even the men)

Jobastion on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

Addendum: As Micro said, you did a fantastic job guarding, Daius. So much so that I was suspecting some sort of auto-guard ability...
    Oh, so is that standard for Micro games? I was about to post asking if, provided he kept self-guarding, there was any way for Daius to be killed by the mafia.

Self-guarding is very, very strong.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Spectrum wrote: »

Oh, so is that standard for Micro games? I was about to post asking if, provided he kept self-guarding, there was any way for Daius to be killed by the mafia.

Self-guarding is very, very strong.

Dunno if it's standard, but in Fox and Phalla, I was the guard and could self-guard. I could even protect against the vote :P.

Although we lost anyways :(. (Grrrr Mr D!)

kime on
    Steam profile
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Micro, that was fun. Sorry I forgot to vote on Sunday, though it nearly worked out well for us.

I love me some Blackadder. I just wish more people had recognised my quotes earlier on in the games so I could have essentially just posted in Blackadder quotes the whole time :P

BobCesca on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I am the best mafia targetter. Even when I am the village vig.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I didn't even get to impregnate someone with my impressive machinery. :(

I had fun watching this, and the narrations were great! Thanks for putting the effort in, Micro.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    As promised!

Blackadder
    lg-promo-blackadder-goes-forth-1.jpg
    Captain Edmund Blackadder...

...and you are surrounded by absolute idiots. You're going to get through this damn foolish war by any means necessary and you're going to use your air of superiority, your egotism and delightful smugness to your best ability.

Now then, General Melchett has entrusted you with the very important task of finding these German spies. Thus, you're in charge of organising the vote, private investigations, that sort of thing. But, considering everyone else has the intellect of a goldfish constantly surprised by its own reflection you're taking matters into your own hands and are killing a people at Staff HQ on your own initiative.

Thus, you are a vigilante. Every day pm me the name of your target, you may change this as often as you like.

For added info on the character check out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Blackadder

Baldrick
    baldrick.jpg

Private S. Baldrick

Your father was born in the mud, as was his father, as was his father, as was his father, as was his father, as was his father, as was his father, as was his father, as was his father... you get the idea.

Frankly you're at the very bottom of the food chain, lower than the lowliest mouse, more ignored than ones own shadow. People treat you like an idiot, expect you to be an idiot and on the whole don't disappoint. For instance, check out one of your attempts at war poetry:

Ding-a-ling

The lyrics of another attempt were the frankly remarkable:

Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom,
    Boom, Boom, Boom,
    Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom,
    Boom, Boom, Boom

But, you're also something of the 'savant' to go along with your idiocy. Sometimes you say things of such complete and stinking dogswill that they verge into the genius, into pure and unadulterated wonder. God knows how you manage it.

Nonetheless, you often come up with 'cunning plans'. The elucidation of these cunning plans usually starts with the words: 'I have a cunning plan' - this is when people decide to kill themselves, especially the long suffering Blackadder who has put up with you for far too long.

As it is, without meaning to, sometimes your cunning plans foil the best laid plans of others which makes you an absolutely formidable guard.

Every day, pm me the name of someone you'd like to explain your most recent cunning plan to, that person will be protected from EVERYTHING aside from the vote which is unblockable.

You may change your vote target as often as you like.

George
    Blackadder_4_george.jpg

George

(or Lt. George C. St Barleigh)

On the day the war started you and your 9 best friends (The Trinity Tiddlers) headed straight off down to the recruitment office at Cambridge University to enlist to give the Hun a darn good thrashing.

As it is, the others are all dead, and you're only alive because of Captain Blackadder's schemes to keep you all from going 'Over The Top'. You don't realise this though because of your frankly stunning stupidity and naivety, and you just think the war is just one jolly big jape. Although you lack any kind of skill, competence, or authority as an officer, your upper-class status and educational background mean you went straight into the commissioned ranks upon enlisting. No one, bar the ever faithful Baldrick ever listens to you.

You are, however, incredibly well connected. Your family has more money than sense (not much sense, LOTS of money) and so you can use the 'Old Boys' Network' to your best advantage. You can 'have a quiet word with the chaps' to see if any one is a 'good sort' and so thus discover who they are, and who they're working for.

This makes you a very capable, if dimwitted, seer.

Every day, pm me your seer target and I will reply with their character name (if they have one) and alignment. You may change your target as often as you like up to vote close.

Flash
    flashheart_396x222.jpg

Squadron Commander The Lord Flashheart

But everyone can call you the Flash because you're in and out in 10 seconds and great at making triplets. WOOF!

You're rude, arrogant and damn loud but God the women want you. In your own words: 'If word got out that I was missing 500 women would kill themselves, and I wouldn't want that on my conscience. Although I would want them on my face. WOOF!'

But, despite all the women wanting you, you've only got eyes for Bob, and she only has eyes for you. Thus, on the positive side, you're well aware that Bob is in fact Ohtsam. On the (potentially) negative side, whatever happens to Bob happens to you, and whatever happens to you happens to Bob.

I can no better explain The Flash than by pointing you in this direction - it'll be the best 10 minutes of your life:

WOOF!

Bob
    Blackadder_4_bob.jpg

Bob

You are the ever devoted Bob. Devoted to Lord Flashheart (the cheeky Devil).

Because of your devotion, you never take your eyes off Flashheart, so you know he's good, and you know he's Kay. On the (potentially) negative side, whatever happens to Flashheart happens to you, and whatever happens to you happens to Flashheart.

You are aligned with the village, you want to remove all the Germans.

Darling
    blackadder_4_captain_darling.jpg

Captain Darling

Cursed from birth by a ridiculous surname joined with the English tendency to refer to others by their surnames alone you have grown into a twisted, bitter, sadistic shell of a man.

You are the ultimate brown noser, you despise anyone with a bit of wit, and you enjoy - oh dear God do you enjoy - the suffering of others.

There is one man you idolise and respect, however, and he just so happens to be your boss, General Melchett. You are chief of his staff and you take special delight in interpreting his orders in whichever way gives you the most power and most control over your fellow troops.

Thus, because your nose is consistently up General Melchett's rear end, you can not fail to spot that he is LoserForHireX.

Also, between the two of you, you can order one person per day to 'Go Over the Top' into No Man's Land. You have no real concept of what this means, you just know that they very rarely come back.

Thus, the person you order over the top has a 70% chance of being killed on that day, thus you are an IMPERFECT VIG. Your attack will always hit the right person, it just might not be successful.

Between you both you have ONE target per day. You must both agree on this target and BOTH of you must pm me the same name. If I receive different targets, or if only one of you gets in touch then the power goes to waste for that day. Likewise, as soon as one of you is killed or taken out of the game, the power is lost.

You are aligned with the village and want to see an end to the Germans who are interrupting your torturous treatment of your fellow man.

Melchett
    general_melchett.jpg

General Melchett

You are a blubbering buffoon, utterly convinced that the best way to attack an enemy position is to approach it as slowly as possible whilst standing as tall as possible whislt carrying as heavy a bag as possible; you are in love with your pigeon Speckled Jim and you have absolutely no idea about military strategy; but! you went to the right school, know the right people, and you're in charge.

Frankly you're a lunatic, but that doesn't stop you from sending more and more men to their deaths all in the name of some goal or other (that you've forgotten) and you think this war stuff is jolly good fun.

Captain Darling never leaves your side, and so you know you can trust him. He is Shalmelo.

Between the two of you, you can order one person per day to 'Go Over the Top' into No Man's Land. You have no real concept of what this means, you just know that they very rarely come back.

Thus, the person you order over the top has a 70% chance of being killed on that day, thus you are an IMPERFECT VIG. Your attack will always hit the right person, it just might not be successful.

Between you both you have ONE target per day. You must both agree on this target and BOTH of you must pm me the same name. If I receive different targets, or if only one of you gets in touch then the power goes to waste for that day. Likewise, as soon as one of you is killed or taken out of the game, the power is lost.

Germans
    germanspy.png

A German Spy!!!

Yes, you're one of four infiltrators into General Melchett's HQ. The four of you are: BobCesca, Jobastion, El Skid and Kias (all 4 of you are copied in on this message).

Blackadder is hot on your tail, so you're resorting to desperate measures. Gone are the tactics of reorganising the general's study until he gets thoroughly confused and demoralised, and they've been replaced by the science of killing. Yes, that's right killing - who'd have thought there'd be killing in a war? Certainly not me.

Anyhow, I digress.

Every day you have two kills to target as you please - just pm me the name of your two targets any time before vote close. Any of you may send in the orders, and the LAST orders I receive on any given day will be the ones I work with.

If you are reduced to one remaining team member at any point, your number of kills will also be reduced to 1.

Please forward me the links to any proboards.

Village
    a261115.jpg

You are a faithful British Tommy sent over the seas to France to give a mighty bosh to the terrible Hun. You love your King, you love your country and you have a weird, desperate respect for your father because he used to beat you as a child - but he did it with love.

You're lucky, though, as you're not posted on the front lines - no hand shaking with German machine guns for you - instead, you're posted at Staff HQ with General Melchett and Captain Darling.

But! you know that there are spies around - nasty vile sickening German spies who have no clue what cricket is, and certainly daisy up a whoopsy on Sundays (the damn pansies!!). General Melchett has appointed Captain Blackadder as his very own spy catcher, and Blackadder has come to you for help.

Every day, you've got a chance to assess the evidence and !VOTE in the game thread for who you think might be a German spy. Whoever gets the most votes, gets an early morning appointment with the lovely polite chaps at the firing squad.

Micro on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    So, seeing as how there were no roles that made those cyan things show up... were those just "HaHa I hates the mafia fun times", or were they "all part of the plan"?
    (I had initially thought that killing shal was why the cyan public over the top thing showed up, but then I saw that they kept the terrible (in that it was largely ineffective at killing cleo) vig ability even after that)

Jobastion on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The cyan vote was always part of the plan, but was originally going to be a 'one-nighter', I decided to keep it on as I quite liked the dynamic it created. I don't think it did a great deal of harm.

Micro on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    It was a cunning plan!
    Despite it being directly attributable to our "loss"*^1, I will say that I rather enjoyed it, and the non-retractableness of it. Did you also use the %30 chance of survival for that one, or was it guarenteed death?

[tiny]Footnote 1: Moral Victory Indeed[/tiny]

Jobastion on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yep, 30% chance same as the other.

Micro on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Many thanks for running this phalla, Micro. It's good to have you back!

Wildcat on
This discussion has been closed.