As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The New GOP Thread: Taking Anti-Intellectualism to a Whole New Level

• Options
    CorbiusCorbius Shepard Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I believe its one of the story planets in Mass Effect 2.

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
    PSN: Corbius
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Saw it coming. The video was super quiet and I knew my speakers were up. Nothing was apparently wrong. Video instructed me to look closely. RED FLAG. SOUND OFF.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2009
    As soon as I change my underwear I am going to punch you through the internet, cd.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    Suriko wrote: »
    I'm going to admit that this made me laugh:
    Latest Nobel Awarded Makes 4 Nobel Prizes For Obama!

March 16, 2011 - Barack H. Obama Recieved his 4th Nobel Prize today topping off the lunacy of that once esteemed organization. Obama and Nobel stunned the world in 2009 when Barack won the Nobel Peace Prize for absolutely nothing, as in Zero. World leaders were stunned and all were shocked that the fix was in globally. He followed up that ridiculous win with a Nobel Prize in Biology in 2010 after he explained the birds and the bees to his daughters. Quickly followed in succession by Nobel Prizes in Medicine for his Socializing America's Health Care industry, in Chemistry for a bad bout of farting in the White House and now a Nobel Prize for Science for helping one of his daughters in her Science fair.

1, 2, 3, 4........ 5?

:lol:

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    big l wrote: »
    Cervetus wrote: »
    I saw that there was a video from some cable news channel on the front page and assumed it was Fox News, but was shocked as I scrolled down and noticed the CNN logo. Then I saw that it was Lou Dobbs and it made sense.

March 16, 2011 - Barack H. Obama Recieved his 4th Nobel Prize today topping off the lunacy of that once esteemed organization. Obama and Nobel stunned the world in 2009 when Barack won the Nobel Peace Prize for absolutely nothing, as in Zero. World leaders were stunned and all were shocked that the fix was in globally. He followed up that ridiculous win with a Nobel Prize in Biology in 2010 after he explained the birds and the bees to his daughters. Quickly followed in succession by Nobel Prizes in Medicine for his Socializing America's Health Care industry, in Chemistry for a bad bout of farting in the White House and now a Nobel Prize for Science for helping one of his daughters in her Science fair.

safhdsafrlcjksahrnewrlhew

Edit: One of the made-up headlines is "Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck Found Dead in Camp". I'm looking forward to the future.

Edit 2:
    C.O.R.N.Y. Plants Some ACORNS in Eastern Virginia

March 5, 2011 - The Congress of Rejected and Neglected Youth had an ACORN planting party in Fairfax County. It was attended by Barack Obama and hundreds of Madrasas students chanting "Death to America, Long Live Obama!". The rally was attacked by a few hundred Militia members led by Ted Nugent. The children were spared but all others were slaughtered except former President Obama who escaped with his own police force guard, the Ameri-troops. Ted was quoted as saying, "If you value the American way, if you believe in the words and spirit of the U.S. Constitution and our sacred Bill of Rights, if you know in your heart that you have the right, the duty, and the spiritual obligation to protect yourself and your loved ones from evil in all of its forms, then lock and load motherf***er."
    They're really not making themselves look very good.

Ted Nugent? Nobel Prize for Science?!? Fart Jokes?!?!?

It's slashfic without the creepy sex.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    CorbiusCorbius Shepard Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Shit, now I have the slashfic with the creepy sex in my head now. Awesome.

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
    PSN: Corbius
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I saw that there was a video from some cable news channel on the front page and assumed it was Fox News, but was shocked as I scrolled down and noticed the CNN logo. Then I saw that it was Lou Dobbs and it made sense.

Edit: One of the made-up headlines is "Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck Found Dead in Camp". I'm looking forward to the future.

Edit 2:

March 5, 2011 - The Congress of Rejected and Neglected Youth had an ACORN planting party in Fairfax County. It was attended by Barack Obama and hundreds of Madrasas students chanting "Death to America, Long Live Obama!". The rally was attacked by a few hundred Militia members led by Ted Nugent. The children were spared but all others were slaughtered except former President Obama who escaped with his own police force guard, the Ameri-troops. Ted was quoted as saying, "If you value the American way, if you believe in the words and spirit of the U.S. Constitution and our sacred Bill of Rights, if you know in your heart that you have the right, the duty, and the spiritual obligation to protect yourself and your loved ones from evil in all of its forms, then lock and load motherf***er."

It's like someone read Liberality for All and said "man, that's not nearly stupid enough, let me just multiply it by a million."

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »

Edit 2:

It's like someone read Liberality for All and said "man, that's not nearly stupid enough, let me just multiply it by a million."

Well, Ted Nugent's involvement makes it somewhat less surprising.

Seriously, if anyone would lead a few hundred militia to try and kill the President, it'd be him.

I haven't heard him deny he's not planning to lead armed militia to kill the President, after all. Why could he be hiding?

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I refuse to believe that game was crafted by someone being serious. My sense of sanity will notlet me believe it.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    Scooter wrote: »
    Every civilian employee of the government is evil and every military employee of the government is awesome!

But only because they'll disregard the orders of the civilian employees!

Including those directly elected by the people!

Directly elected, like Obama. People should wake and understand the truth. The military needs to disobey Obama because we can not trust him. He is part of a conspiracy to undermine U.S. sovereignty for a globalist agenda. This is not for the betterment of humanity but for the secret agenda of an elite slave making class. This is all the proof you should need!

Don't ever support military dissension

That's a horrible idea and makes you a terrible human being for supporting it. The last thing you, I, or anyone else want is the military ignoring its chain of command. That way lies madness

You don't know anything about the military and it shows

Rent on
  • Options
    civil_disobediencecivil_disobedience Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Rent wrote: »
    Every civilian employee of the government is evil and every military employee of the government is awesome!

Directly elected, like Obama. People should wake and understand the truth. The military needs to disobey Obama because we can not trust him. He is part of a conspiracy to undermine U.S. sovereignty for a globalist agenda. This is not for the betterment of humanity but for the secret agenda of an elite slave making class. This is all the proof you should need!

That's a horrible idea and makes you a terrible human being for supporting it. The last thing you, I, or anyone else want is the military ignoring its chain of command. That way lies madness

lol well you would feel different if you watch the attached video lmao

civil_disobedience on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Ha ha, you are funny, let's please not derail the thread with feigned conspiracy paranoia.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Yeah, I did

I apologize :P

Well done

But now I wonder, have you been joking about everything? Was this just an elaborate bel Air? because if so I commend you
    (Motherfucker)

Rent on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Whoops I meant for that (Motherfucker) to have a :P after it

Please don't ban me jeffe >.> <.<

Rent on
  • Options
    CleonicusCleonicus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

1, 2, 3, 4........ 5?

Cleonicus on
    Debate 'n' DeHockey team: Astronauts
  • Options
    rational vashrational vash Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Cleonicus wrote: »

1, 2, 3, 4........ 5?

Addition is just another one of the left's ivory tower, feminazi tools.

Real men talk first and add never

rational vash on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Weren't there a bunch of military personnel calling in to talk shows in support of McChrystal ignoring the chain of command because Obama's not actually the president or something like that?

Now that's scary.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Edit 2:

Wow, it's a strange coincidence that they named a complete bad ass after a pussy that sat in his own shit for a week because he was afraid to get drafted.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Edit 2:

Wow, it's a strange coincidence that they named a complete bad ass after a pussy that sat in his own shit for a week because he was afraid to get drafted.

Eh, it's not so amazing, considering the number of draft-dodging chickenhawks on the right.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Bullio wrote: »
    Rep. Mike Pence - GOP douchebag of the day
    It is deeply offensive to their service and to millions of Americans to pile so-called 'hate crimes' legislation onto a bill that authorizes critical resources for our troops. Hate crimes legislation is antithetical to the First Amendment, unnecessary and will have a chilling effect on religious freedom.
    I'm not sure how legislation against hate crimes is offensive to the troops since the troops are fighting for the right of the people in this country to live true to themselves and not have to face persecution because they're gay, black, or whatever. Also, apparently committing a hate crime is an expression of religious freedom.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2009/10/pence-obama-has-used-his-position-as-commander-in-chief-to-advance-a-radical-social-agenda.php

I love how he says something that shows he never actually bothered to read the bill he's ranting against.

The bill outright has a section of it that basically says the bill shall not be taken to infringe upon free speech rights.
    SEC. 4711. CONSTRUCTION AND APPLICATION.

Nothing in this division, or an amendment made by this division, shall be construed or applied in a manner that infringes on any rights under the first amendment to the Constitution of the United States, or substantially burdens any exercise of religion (regardless of whether compelled by, or central to, a system of religious belief), speech, expression, association, if such exercise of religion, speech, expression, or association was not intended to--

(1) plan or prepare for an act of physical violence; or

(2) incite an imminent act of physical violence against another.

(3) FREE EXPRESSION- Nothing in this division shall be construed to allow prosecution based solely upon an individual's expression of racial, religious, political, or other beliefs or solely upon an individual's membership in a group advocating or espousing such beliefs.

(4) FIRST AMENDMENT- Nothing in this division, or an amendment made by this division, shall be construed to diminish any rights under the first amendment to the Constitution of the United States.

(5) CONSTITUTIONAL PROTECTIONS- Nothing in this division shall be construed to prohibit any constitutionally protected speech, expressive conduct or activities (regardless of whether compelled by, or central to, a system of religious belief), including the exercise of religion protected by the first amendment to the Constitution of the United States and peaceful picketing or demonstration.
    http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/F?c111:2:./temp/~c111KyWrlQ:e1398895:

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Regardless, have we figured out how punishing hate crimes harsher infringes on one's right to freedom of religion?

Henroid on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    Regardless, have we figured out how punishing hate crimes harsher infringes on one's right to freedom of religion?

My church beats up a gay man every Sunday. We also burn crosses on people's lawns on Thanksgiving and Easter. How dare you presume to let government interfere with my religion! :P
    So, yeah, no. It's not infringing.

Houn on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

The argument (not going to even get into "is it valid or not") is that if it's my religion to hate on *protected group*, and my pastor preaches about how we should all hate *protected group*, the pastor shouldn't get in trouble if any of his followers actually goes and does something violent against them. Because, you know, it's my religion to hate them, the law just says we can't do anything about it!

That said, I'm sure the same people would get all bent out of shape if I made a religion that encouraged hatred against say, middle aged straight white christians, and some of my followers actually went and beat up/killed some folks over it.

But I can see the desire for speech ("I hate ____ group!") to not be a crime, as opposed to action. Though incitement to violence should remain a crime, and fall under hate crimes (does it?)

kildy on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Houn wrote: »

My church beats up a gay man every Sunday. We also burn crosses on people's lawns on Thanksgiving and Easter. How dare you presume to let government interfere with my religion! :P
    So, yeah, no. It's not infringing.

Houn, I thought I told you not to listen to those Mormon missionaries.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Guys, someone in my class who I generally thought was a well-reasoned and rational individual is playing that fucking game you just linked, United States of Earth or whatever the fuck.

Face punching is about to be had. I can see it now. The face punching.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Guys, someone in my class who I generally thought was a well-reasoned and rational individual is playing that fucking game you just linked, United States of Earth or whatever the fuck.

I don't know. It's probably pretty meta. Can you play as the Obama side? Because that would be something I'd be down with to do with PA for the lulz.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Are you sure he isn't playing it to be ironic? Or just to see what it is first hand?

Henroid on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    kildy wrote: »

The argument (not going to even get into "is it valid or not") is that if it's my religion to hate on *protected group*, and my pastor preaches about how we should all hate *protected group*, the pastor shouldn't get in trouble if any of his followers actually goes and does something violent against them. Because, you know, it's my religion to hate them, the law just says we can't do anything about it!

That said, I'm sure the same people would get all bent out of shape if I made a religion that encouraged hatred against say, middle aged straight white christians, and some of my followers actually went and beat up/killed some folks over it.

But I can see the desire for speech ("I hate ____ group!") to not be a crime, as opposed to action. Though incitement to violence should remain a crime, and fall under hate crimes (does it?)

The problem with that argument is there are already specific exceptions in the former bill (now law).

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    I think you guy will get get a little kick out of the headline from my school's gag paper:
    Reinharz Resigns Over Failed Olympic Bid
    Rio Beats Brandeis For 2016 Games, Name of Duran Duran Song.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Are you sure he isn't playing it to be ironic? Or just to see what it is first hand?

No, he was apparently pretty high level. I just glanced at the screen and saw a bunch of stats and graphs and stuff and him clicking and I was like "Noooooo!"

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Do we actually punish them harsher? My understanding of hate crimes is it just gives the Feds an excuse to come in and prosecute a case, because a lot of times, local courts won't be willing to prosecute a couple of good ol' boys out for a round of good old fashioned gay-beating.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Do we actually punish them harsher? My understanding of hate crimes is it just gives the Feds an excuse to come in and prosecute a case, because a lot of times, local courts won't be willing to prosecute a couple of good ol' boys out for a round of good old fashioned gay-beating.

The sentencing is more harsh. Mostly it bothers stupid white folks who tend toward violent crime and don't want to pay extra for racism that they may or may not have exhibited in their day to day criminal activities.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

The sentencing is more harsh. Mostly it bothers stupid white folks who tend toward violent crime and don't want to pay extra for racism that they may or may not have exhibited in their day to day criminal activities.

Also it bothers people who think it's not a very rational way of punishing people. 2 guys go beat the crap out of 2 different people. One of them hates the guy he beats up because he just doesn't like him. The other hates him because he doesn't like the way he looks. One gets a harsher sentence? Why? What if he beat him up but just did it for fun rather than out of hate. Should that also receive a different sentence? The justice system has far too much leeway to over-punish some groups of people rather than others. Or under punish if you want to look at it from the other perspective.

NotYou on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Because one of these crimes is much more likely to occur again.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Because one of these crimes is much more likely to occur again.

poor people and black people are also a lot more likely to commit more crimes. Can we add a few years to all their sentences too?

NotYou on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    More likely to be convicted!=more likely to commit.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying that a large percentage of convictions are for crimes that weren't committed? I'm sure that happens, but not so often that it negates my argument.

NotYou on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Re: hate crimes.

I agree with the spirit of the law but I also agree that it's unenforceable.

I'm more against other ways of trumping up sentences, especially "previously served time in prison for a drug-related offense". So if I get arrested for drug and go to jail for 60 days or something, if I happen to assault someone after, I can get MORE prison time on the beating?

At least increased sentences for a hate crime is related to the crime at hand.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    NotYou wrote: »

I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying that a large percentage of convictions are for crimes that weren't committed? I'm sure that happens, but not so often that it negates my argument.

No, I'm saying that rich and/or white people are a lot less likely to be caught/prosecuted/sent to jail.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited October 2009
    NotYou wrote: »

Also it bothers people who think it's not a very rational way of punishing people. 2 guys go beat the crap out of 2 different people. One of them hates the guy he beats up because he just doesn't like him. The other hates him because he doesn't like the way he looks. One gets a harsher sentence? Why? What if he beat him up but just did it for fun rather than out of hate. Should that also receive a different sentence? The justice system has far too much leeway to over-punish some groups of people rather than others. Or under punish if you want to look at it from the other perspective.

I'm okay with it. Motive is a factor in the severity of sentencing all crimes, as it should be. Explicitly increasing the penalties for crimes spurred by a certain motivation held to be especially socaially destructive doesn't strike me as abhorrent.

It's mostly white straight dudes caterwauling that the world ain't fair. Fuck em.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
This discussion has been closed.