As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat] of the living

• MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    desc wrote: »
    Googling my name brings up a sailor from WWII and a distant relative of mine with the same name that also lives in Mass, who is also my age.

I tried contacting him on facebook once and I think we realized our great grandfathers were brothers and that's our connection.

Huh. That's kind of cool.

Yeah my great grandparents came over to Massachusetts with their entire family in 1911. As they got older, the brothers moved to various parts of the state. My great grandfather moved to South Boston, I think his brother moved to Medford or something. And I forget where the third one landed.

Unfortunately, the real identity of my family died with my great grandmother in 2001. She knew the family's last name before it was americanized by the immigration officials.
    so just dig her up and ask her

MikeMan on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    googling my name also brings up nothing about me personally.

For this I am glad.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    hmm, i'd never seen the 123people thing until now.

Dynagrip on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    MikeMan wrote: »
    the line between humans and animals is impossible to define

that's fucked up

why is that fucked up?

Arch on
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

that's fucked up

:?:

Leitner on
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    ok phew hiccups are gone

stomach is still gnawing though

i want class to be over so i can fucking eat >_<

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    who the fuck is this guy? There's a young guy with my last name that I haven't heard of

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2009
    Echo wrote: »
    I guess it's because I have a forum persona named Echo that I want to keep a bit separated.

On the flip side of this, I don't really like finding out what people are really named. It's as if I have some larger-than-life mental image attached to the forum persona, and then finding out that they're a real person deflates it.

Echo on
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Arch wrote: »
    hey :winky:

so far I don't like this book (evo psyc) and I think my problem is considering behaviors (self esteem, aggressiveness, altruism, sexuality, etc) a phenotype

I just feel weird about it

to be fair, I feel weird and curious about "instinctual" behaviors in animals as well. as in- beyond LOOKING like a cat, what makes a cat do the things that cats generally do? i just don't know how I feel about that

i mean logically it MUST be genetic because what ELSE would it be? but...I dont know something about that bugs me

can't put my finger on it

This is something that interests me as well, but you have to realize that something can be genetically influenced without being hard coded into the genes. Small changes in how the genes interact with the development of the whole being can lead to sweeping changes in that being overall. Genes can rely upon reasonable expectations of the environment to provide further information that isn't actually part of what's coded in there; for instance, you're going to be developing inside of a womb, or in human cases you'll be submerged in a social milieu after birth. That sort of thing, if you get where I'm coming from?

What I'm basically saying is that there is certainly nothing like a DNA code -> human behavior link. That would be daft.

Winky on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Variable wrote: »
    wow there are video tributes to this guy with the exact same name as me who died. this is fucked up to watch.
    there was another Variable PenisHunter in the world?!?!?!?!

also are you going to the party tomorrow

yes.

mike you have to see this.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited October 2009
    I guess it's because I have a forum persona named Echo that I want to keep a bit separated.

On the flip side of this, I don't really like finding out what people are really named. It's as if I have some larger-than-life mental image attached to the forum persona, and then finding out that they're a real person deflates it.

I am sooo much huger than my forum persona.

HUGE.

And fat, but getting better ;-)

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    edited October 2009

that's fucked up

why is that fucked up?
    well just think about that fucking shit.

we're just a mammalian brain. once we start hooking brains up to vats and computers and shits there will be no line between humanity and non-humanity. whence morality if that is the case?

MikeMan on
    edited October 2009
    Winky wrote: »
    hey :winky:

so far I don't like this book (evo psyc) and I think my problem is considering behaviors (self esteem, aggressiveness, altruism, sexuality, etc) a phenotype

I just feel weird about it

to be fair, I feel weird and curious about "instinctual" behaviors in animals as well. as in- beyond LOOKING like a cat, what makes a cat do the things that cats generally do? i just don't know how I feel about that

i mean logically it MUST be genetic because what ELSE would it be? but...I dont know something about that bugs me

can't put my finger on it

This is something that interests me as well, but you have to realize that something can be genetically influenced without being hard coded into the genes. Small changes in how the genes interact with the development of the whole being can lead to sweeping changes in that being overall. Genes can rely upon reasonable expectations of the environment to provide further information that isn't actually part of what's coded in there; for instance, you're going to be developing inside of a womb, or in human cases you'll be submerged in a social milieu after birth. That sort of thing, if you get where I'm coming from?

What I'm basically saying is that there is certainly nothing like a DNA code -> human behavior link. That would be daft.

yea i understand, and i know all that (science degree remember?)

i just feel weird about statements like "what evolutionary advantages come from having low-self esteem?" (or insert any other trait here)

don't know why

Arch on
    edited October 2009
    syn is fucking lucky

his company not only pays for his personal trainer, he works out DURING WORK HOURS and gets paid for it

ffffffff

Hakkekage on
    edited October 2009
    I wonder if I dodged a bullet that this kid died.

was the grim reaper aiming for me?

suddenly I'm 100% spiritual.

Variable on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

that's fucked up

why is that fucked up?

we're just a mammalian brain. once we start hooking brains up to vats and computers and shits there will be no line between humanity and non-humanity. whence morality if that is the case?

Like the ratbots they made?

nexuscrawler on
    edited October 2009
    If I gave you my name you could find out where all my family lives, their names, date of birth, and income for last year all on the same site

Maybe I shouldn't?

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    edited October 2009

that's fucked up

why is that fucked up?

Like the ratbots they made?
    yeah

MikeMan on
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

You watched too much Final Destination, that's all. :P

Haphazard on
    edited October 2009

FINAL DESTINATION

MikeMan on
    edited October 2009
    they made ratbots? :o

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If there's no sand on a map, is there any way to get glass? an I trade for sand or raw glass?

YamiNoSenshi on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited October 2009
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    syn is fucking lucky

his company not only pays for his personal trainer, he works out DURING WORK HOURS and gets paid for it

ffffffff

speaking of which, I need to call my driver and make sure he will be there to pick my date and I up after the show on Wednesday and take us to the Palm... I need to do this before I leave to go work out during business hours 8-)

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    syn is fucking lucky

ffffffff

man why am i working this shitty-ass job?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    edited October 2009
    rich prick

Whether or not I come tomorrow, you guys have to trash his apartment

Hakkekage on
    edited October 2009
    haps and mikeman.

Variable on
    edited October 2009
    If there's no sand on a map, is there any way to get glass? an I trade for sand or raw glass?

not really, no.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited October 2009
    ok winky back to reading this book maybe it will explain my problems more

Arch on
    edited October 2009
    How was publishing tax lists a good idea

Is there anything good that can really come from making everyone able to see how much money everyone makes

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    syndalis wrote: »
    syn is fucking lucky

ffffffff

speaking of which, I need to call my driver and make sure he will be there to pick my date and I up after the show on Wednesday and take us to the Palm... I need to do this before I leave to go work out during business hours 8-)

And I'm the one who got yelled at for being a "fucking rich engineer".

YamiNoSenshi on
    edited October 2009
    Elldren wrote: »
    yeah, it's some crazy shit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QPiF4-iu6g&feature=player_embedded

MikeMan on
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh man, my Chinese teacher just sent me an e-mail asking where I've been D:.

Winky on
    edited October 2009
    rich prick

Whether or not I come tomorrow, you guys have to trash his apartment

uh yeah when were we not gonna trash his apartment?

Variable on
  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    My last name is useless, but I'm apparently the only one on the planet paired with the first/last combination.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
    edited October 2009
    syndalis wrote: »
    syn is fucking lucky

ffffffff

And I'm the one who got yelled at for being a "fucking rich engineer".

Ok but you just got out of college ok

Hakkekage on
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Cinders on
    edited October 2009
    Elldren wrote: »
    yeah, it's some crazy shit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QPiF4-iu6g&feature=player_embedded

I find the use of resident evil style typing effects diminish the power of what I'm watching.

Variable on
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    syn is fucking lucky

ffffffff

I get paid for working out during work hours too. well, once a week.

Dynagrip on
    edited October 2009
    you have found an ink ribbon!

MikeMan on
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    haps and mikeman.

Sitting in a tree!

Wait...

Haphazard on