As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The New GOP Thread: Taking Anti-Intellectualism to a Whole New Level

1282931333460

Posts

  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Are there any intelligent conservatives here?

    I suppose if there were, they'd stay the hell out of this thread, but I think it would keep us more on track and less "REPUBLICANS HARGLBARGL"

    'Sup.

    There aren't any intelligent Republicans left on the board though. Unless maybe if Yar still self identifies?

    Yar, Jeff, Sal. Occasionally we get a few that stick around for a while before either melting down or just giving up. There were never too many.

    Yeah, Salvation finally gave in and left the Republican Party around the Palin pick (I suppose he would say it left him) and Jeffe hasn't been a Republican for years now.
    I decided to vote for Obama after the Palin pick. I renounced my affiliation to the party when McCain dicked around with the bank rescue by pushing a plan on the House Republicans that amounted to "1. Suspend Capital Gains taxes for ten years 2. ????????? 3. Profit!"

    The utter insanity of the party since the election hasn't really done anything to make me regret that.

    Basically in the same spot. Still registered Republican. Might change it to independent cause Democrat and especially Libertarian have the same crappy connotations to it.

    Sheep on
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong For Workgroups Version 3.11 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The problem is that the democrats are only better because they're so goddamn ineffectual! If it weren't for all the party in-fighting that comes from being the catchall-party for years, we'd have the most retarded legislation in years cruising right on into law right now.

    Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The problem is that the democrats are only better because they're so goddamn ineffectual! If it weren't for all the party in-fighting that comes from being the catchall-party for years, we'd have the most retarded legislation in years cruising right on into law right now.

    The blue dogs have made good legislation demonstrably worse.

    wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong For Workgroups Version 3.11 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    True, they're mostly responsible for gutting the health bill so that it's useless to everyone.

    Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2009
    Sheep wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Are there any intelligent conservatives here?

    I suppose if there were, they'd stay the hell out of this thread, but I think it would keep us more on track and less "REPUBLICANS HARGLBARGL"

    'Sup.

    There aren't any intelligent Republicans left on the board though. Unless maybe if Yar still self identifies?

    Yar, Jeff, Sal. Occasionally we get a few that stick around for a while before either melting down or just giving up. There were never too many.

    Yeah, Salvation finally gave in and left the Republican Party around the Palin pick (I suppose he would say it left him) and Jeffe hasn't been a Republican for years now.
    I decided to vote for Obama after the Palin pick. I renounced my affiliation to the party when McCain dicked around with the bank rescue by pushing a plan on the House Republicans that amounted to "1. Suspend Capital Gains taxes for ten years 2. ????????? 3. Profit!"

    The utter insanity of the party since the election hasn't really done anything to make me regret that.

    Basically in the same spot. Still registered Republican. Might change it to independent cause Democrat and especially Libertarian have the same crappy connotations to it.

    I'm an independent. Social liberal, fiscal conservative, military hawk.

    The problem is that every Republican I've had a chance to vote for, other then John Warner, has been insane and the party is driven by lunatics. So I've just voted democratic my entire life.

    The Democratic party base is also full of lunatics. But since they lack an over arching agenda their leaders don't rail forward as much of the stupid as the republicans do.

    psychotix on
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    psychotix wrote: »
    The Democratic party base is also full of lunatics. But since they lack an over arching agenda their leaders don't rail forward as much of the stupid as the republicans do.

    Will Rogers said it best when he was asked if he belonged to an organized political party.

    AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    psychotix wrote: »
    Sheep wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Are there any intelligent conservatives here?

    I suppose if there were, they'd stay the hell out of this thread, but I think it would keep us more on track and less "REPUBLICANS HARGLBARGL"

    'Sup.

    There aren't any intelligent Republicans left on the board though. Unless maybe if Yar still self identifies?

    Yar, Jeff, Sal. Occasionally we get a few that stick around for a while before either melting down or just giving up. There were never too many.

    Yeah, Salvation finally gave in and left the Republican Party around the Palin pick (I suppose he would say it left him) and Jeffe hasn't been a Republican for years now.
    I decided to vote for Obama after the Palin pick. I renounced my affiliation to the party when McCain dicked around with the bank rescue by pushing a plan on the House Republicans that amounted to "1. Suspend Capital Gains taxes for ten years 2. ????????? 3. Profit!"

    The utter insanity of the party since the election hasn't really done anything to make me regret that.

    Basically in the same spot. Still registered Republican. Might change it to independent cause Democrat and especially Libertarian have the same crappy connotations to it.

    I'm an independent. Social liberal, fiscal conservative, military hawk.

    The problem is that every Republican I've had a chance to vote for, other then John Warner, has been insane and the party is driven by lunatics. So I've just voted democratic my entire life.

    The Democratic party base is also full of lunatics. But since they lack an over arching agenda their leaders don't rail forward as much of the stupid as the republicans do.

    Run for office.

    Please

    MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    psychotix wrote: »
    The Democratic party base is also full of lunatics. But since they lack an over arching agenda their leaders don't rail forward as much of the stupid as the republicans do.

    Will Rogers said it best when he was asked if he belonged to an organized political party.

    It's also worth noting that the lunatic lefty fringe has zero pull with anyone in a position of power. Contrast that with the inmates running the GOP asylum.

    wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The problem is that the democrats are only better because they're so goddamn ineffectual! If it weren't for all the party in-fighting that comes from being the catchall-party for years, we'd have the most retarded legislation in years cruising right on into law right now.

    I see a pretty significant difference between the two party platforms.

    I also see a very big difference between the "worst" Democrats and the "worst" Republicans.

    Grayson is uncouth and despite my appreciation for bravado, would likely be ineffective as a political leader due to his big mouth. Lieberman, on the other side of the scale, is a dishonest huckster who constantly supports terrible policies, offers terrible arguments in support of his own, and is generally a combination of idiotic and corrupt.

    Compare either of them to Michelle Bachmann. "Democrats suck, so do Republicans!" is true to a degree, but "the democrats are only better because they're goddamn ineffectual!" ignores some very big, very obvious, and very important differences between the parties.

    As bad as a "Blue Dog America" could be, a "Michelle Bachmann" America would be insane. "Evil empire from a videogame" levels of insane.

    PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Taking the most cynical view of the extremes of the two parties, one wants give all the money to the poor, and one wants to give all the money to the rich.

    Which one am I more comfortable with seeing get money? The people who actually need it.

    Incenjucar on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    psychotix wrote: »
    Sheep wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Are there any intelligent conservatives here?

    I suppose if there were, they'd stay the hell out of this thread, but I think it would keep us more on track and less "REPUBLICANS HARGLBARGL"

    'Sup.

    There aren't any intelligent Republicans left on the board though. Unless maybe if Yar still self identifies?

    Yar, Jeff, Sal. Occasionally we get a few that stick around for a while before either melting down or just giving up. There were never too many.

    Yeah, Salvation finally gave in and left the Republican Party around the Palin pick (I suppose he would say it left him) and Jeffe hasn't been a Republican for years now.
    I decided to vote for Obama after the Palin pick. I renounced my affiliation to the party when McCain dicked around with the bank rescue by pushing a plan on the House Republicans that amounted to "1. Suspend Capital Gains taxes for ten years 2. ????????? 3. Profit!"

    The utter insanity of the party since the election hasn't really done anything to make me regret that.

    Basically in the same spot. Still registered Republican. Might change it to independent cause Democrat and especially Libertarian have the same crappy connotations to it.

    I'm an independent. Social liberal, fiscal conservative, military hawk.

    The problem is that every Republican I've had a chance to vote for, other then John Warner, has been insane and the party is driven by lunatics. So I've just voted democratic my entire life.

    The Democratic party base is also full of lunatics. But since they lack an over arching agenda their leaders don't rail forward as much of the stupid as the republicans do.

    Run for office.

    Please

    I have a suspicion that only a lunatic would go through all the effort required to run for a higher-level office.

    jothki on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    psychotix wrote: »
    Sheep wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Are there any intelligent conservatives here?

    I suppose if there were, they'd stay the hell out of this thread, but I think it would keep us more on track and less "REPUBLICANS HARGLBARGL"

    'Sup.

    There aren't any intelligent Republicans left on the board though. Unless maybe if Yar still self identifies?

    Yar, Jeff, Sal. Occasionally we get a few that stick around for a while before either melting down or just giving up. There were never too many.

    Yeah, Salvation finally gave in and left the Republican Party around the Palin pick (I suppose he would say it left him) and Jeffe hasn't been a Republican for years now.
    I decided to vote for Obama after the Palin pick. I renounced my affiliation to the party when McCain dicked around with the bank rescue by pushing a plan on the House Republicans that amounted to "1. Suspend Capital Gains taxes for ten years 2. ????????? 3. Profit!"

    The utter insanity of the party since the election hasn't really done anything to make me regret that.

    Basically in the same spot. Still registered Republican. Might change it to independent cause Democrat and especially Libertarian have the same crappy connotations to it.

    I'm an independent. Social liberal, fiscal conservative, military hawk.

    The problem is that every Republican I've had a chance to vote for, other then John Warner, has been insane and the party is driven by lunatics. So I've just voted democratic my entire life.

    The Democratic party base is also full of lunatics. But since they lack an over arching agenda their leaders don't rail forward as much of the stupid as the republicans do.

    Run for office.

    Please

    I know I plan on at least running for local office. Eventually. Mainly to get the power balance... re balanced since the local big church controls everything that Wal Mart doesn't.

    Sheep on
  • PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Taking the most cynical view of the extremes of the two parties, one wants give all the money to the poor, and one wants to give all the money to the rich.

    Which one am I more comfortable with seeing get money? The people who actually need it.

    One extreme believes that Obama is a secret Muslim terrorist born in Kenya who is going to make abortions mandatory and steal all our guns.

    Another extreme wants to cap CEO salaries and provide universal health care and on-demand abortions to illegal immigrants.

    I mean, "let's just raise taxes on the rich forever and provide unlimited social services for everyone!" isn't a great or particularly functional platform, but at least its partially grounded in reality. I realize there are some really crazy far-left types if you go into the bowels of the internet, but they're not represented at all in national politics, hence not really relevant to a Democrats vs. Republicans discussion limited to politicians in office.

    PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »
    psychotix wrote: »
    The Democratic party base is also full of lunatics. But since they lack an over arching agenda their leaders don't rail forward as much of the stupid as the republicans do.

    Will Rogers said it best when he was asked if he belonged to an organized political party.

    It's also worth noting that the lunatic lefty fringe has zero pull with anyone in a position of power. Contrast that with the inmates running the GOP asylum.

    And that's really what it boils down to.

    I've got a different idea of what government should be. I'm a social liberal in the sense that I think you should be able to do whatever the fuck you want as long as it doesn't screw over someone else. Gay marriage, fine with it. I think that the purpose of government for social issues should be stopping other people from telling you what to do or screwing you over. It still boggles my mind that we have to pass laws to allow people to do something, rather then just spend time telling people that no, you can't discriminate against X just because you don't like them.

    On the fiscal/economic side of things. I'm for competition, pro big business, and not a huge fan of high taxes. On the other hand, I'm for strong regulation to prevent corporations from controlling things and running them into the ground. I also realize taxes pay for things we need and have no problem with that, I just think that currently a lot of money is wasted on rather stupid things and greedy contractors bleeding the system. And oddly enough, regulation is good for competition, so I don't understand why you can't be pro regulation and pro business at the same time.

    Military, well I'm ex military so I'm all for a large defense budget and properly equipped troops. I'm also not against military action when it is in our best interest, I don't even mind if we strike first. On the other hand, I feel that many of the people in charge have no experience actually being in the military and tend to use that power to try and reshape the world acording to their ideology, and in my mind, that's not a good reason to start blowing shit up.

    psychotix on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The problem is that the democrats are only better because they're so goddamn ineffectual! If it weren't for all the party in-fighting that comes from being the catchall-party for years, we'd have the most retarded legislation in years cruising right on into law right now.

    I see a pretty significant difference between the two party platforms.

    I also see a very big difference between the "worst" Democrats and the "worst" Republicans.

    Grayson is uncouth and despite my appreciation for bravado, would likely be ineffective as a political leader due to his big mouth.
    Oh no, he's uncouth! Please, excuse me as I retrieve my monocle from my glass of champagne. Oh Jeeves!

    Captain Carrot on
  • LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    JONJONAUG wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    NotYou wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Regardless, have we figured out how punishing hate crimes harsher infringes on one's right to freedom of religion?

    Do we actually punish them harsher? My understanding of hate crimes is it just gives the Feds an excuse to come in and prosecute a case, because a lot of times, local courts won't be willing to prosecute a couple of good ol' boys out for a round of good old fashioned gay-beating.

    The sentencing is more harsh. Mostly it bothers stupid white folks who tend toward violent crime and don't want to pay extra for racism that they may or may not have exhibited in their day to day criminal activities.

    Also it bothers people who think it's not a very rational way of punishing people. 2 guys go beat the crap out of 2 different people. One of them hates the guy he beats up because he just doesn't like him. The other hates him because he doesn't like the way he looks. One gets a harsher sentence? Why? What if he beat him up but just did it for fun rather than out of hate. Should that also receive a different sentence? The justice system has far too much leeway to over-punish some groups of people rather than others. Or under punish if you want to look at it from the other perspective.

    One guy goes out and shoots a man in Reno, just to watch them die. Another guy accidentally hits someone with their car and they die. One gets a harsher sentence? Why? The justice system has far too much leeway to over-punish some groups of people rather than others. Or under punish if you want to look at it from the other perspective.

    You're either an idiot or a blatant troll.

    His example listed two cases where harm was intentional, you listed one case where harm was intentional and one where it wasn't.

    The idea behind hate crime laws is to counteract racism. Racism doesn't exist to the extent that it did back when the laws were passed, so in some states/cases it works and in others it just causes a giant clusterfuck.

    COLOR="RoyalBlue"]CITATION NEEDED[/color

    When's the last time we had an honest-to-god race riot in this country? Rodney King? Maybe up in Detroit at some point after that?

    Cincinnati Ohio, Over the Rhine riots, 02 I think. I know because I was there.

    LibrarianThorne on
  • PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The problem is that the democrats are only better because they're so goddamn ineffectual! If it weren't for all the party in-fighting that comes from being the catchall-party for years, we'd have the most retarded legislation in years cruising right on into law right now.

    I see a pretty significant difference between the two party platforms.

    I also see a very big difference between the "worst" Democrats and the "worst" Republicans.

    Grayson is uncouth and despite my appreciation for bravado, would likely be ineffective as a political leader due to his big mouth.
    Oh no, he's uncouth! Please, excuse me as I retrieve my monocle from my glass of champagne. Oh Jeeves!

    He FRUMPLED my PETICOAT! UNLEASH THE IMMACULATELY GROOMED HOUNDS!

    On a more serious note, like I said I appreciate some fierce rhetoric but the guy does have a big mouth. That doesn't mean I want him kicked out of office, it does mean he's not my go-to guy for intelligent, reasoned debate. The "honor the dead" website is probably a good example, its not that he's mean or shrill that upsets me, but that his eagerness to be witty or mean sometimes makes him stupid. I'm generally in favor of politicians in general being less polite, but that's a different subject.

    PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2009
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Are there any intelligent conservatives here?

    I suppose if there were, they'd stay the hell out of this thread, but I think it would keep us more on track and less "REPUBLICANS HARGLBARGL"

    'Sup.

    There aren't any intelligent Republicans left on the board though. Unless maybe if Yar still self identifies?

    Yar, Jeff, Sal.

    Yeah, I shrugged off Republicanism right around last year's election. I'm currently unaffiliated, but I'll probably register as a Dem when elections roll around next year.

    ElJeffe on
    Maddie: "I named my feet. The left one is flip and the right one is flop. Oh, and also I named my flip-flops."
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Racism hasn't gone away, but things are still a damn lot further along now than in '69. That shouldn't disabuse the notion that there is a lot further yet to go, but...well look at some of the shit that regularly occurred in the 50's and 60's that are unheard of today. I mean, look at Emmett Till. The fact that we still aren't at the mountain top doesn't mean we're still sitting at base camp; nor that we should ignore the huge strides that have been made.

    moniker on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The problem is that the democrats are only better because they're so goddamn ineffectual! If it weren't for all the party in-fighting that comes from being the catchall-party for years, we'd have the most retarded legislation in years cruising right on into law right now.

    I see a pretty significant difference between the two party platforms.

    I also see a very big difference between the "worst" Democrats and the "worst" Republicans.

    Grayson is uncouth and despite my appreciation for bravado, would likely be ineffective as a political leader due to his big mouth.
    Oh no, he's uncouth! Please, excuse me as I retrieve my monocle from my glass of champagne. Oh Jeeves!

    He FRUMPLED my PETICOAT! UNLEASH THE IMMACULATELY GROOMED HOUNDS!

    On a more serious note, like I said I appreciate some fierce rhetoric but the guy does have a big mouth. That doesn't mean I want him kicked out of office, it does mean he's not my go-to guy for intelligent, reasoned debate. The "honor the dead" website is probably a good example, its not that he's mean or shrill that upsets me, but that his eagerness to be witty or mean sometimes makes him stupid. I'm generally in favor of politicians in general being less polite, but that's a different subject.

    Having a big mouth can itself be a means of fucking people over in tangible ways. Joe McCarthy, anyone? Grayson isn't anywhere near there, but pretending that words don't have any power is idiotic.

    moniker on
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Run for office.

    Please

    None of the conservatives on this board would make it through a primary.

    Salvation122 on
  • PantsBPantsB Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The Dems have plenty of politicians who are desperate to be completely and utterly reasonable, and polite and civilized and who would never think to become more than slightly pointed in their remarks regardless of what the Republicans do. They are above that. Everyone expects it of those asshole Republicans.

    Unfortunately, one can't expect to win through indifference to lies and rising above the fray no matter what the other side says. Sometimes you have to point out what the Republicans are. Sometimes you have to fight. The party needs more Graysons, Frankens and especially Franks and Leahys. If your party is all Adalai Stevensons and no LBJs or even Tip O'Neils you lose.

    PantsB on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2009
    I can appreciate the substance of what Grayson is attempting to do. There's a lot of crazy shit coming out of the GOP, and he's calling them on it in a very blunt fashion. But I really don't think what he's doing is going to help. So far, the only upshot of his (admittedly entertaining) tirades is that folks like Bill O. and Limbaugh are talking about what dicks the Democrats are. I'd be surprised if Grayson convinced a single person that the GOP's ideas on health care are shit, but he probably convinced a few that he's an asshole.

    I fail to see the utility in that.

    ElJeffe on
    Maddie: "I named my feet. The left one is flip and the right one is flop. Oh, and also I named my flip-flops."
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    psychotix wrote: »


    On the fiscal/economic side of things. I'm for competition, pro big business, and not a huge fan of high taxes. On the other hand, I'm for strong regulation to prevent corporations from controlling things and running them into the ground. I also realize taxes pay for things we need and have no problem with that, I just think that currently a lot of money is wasted on rather stupid things and greedy contractors bleeding the system. And oddly enough, regulation is good for competition, so I don't understand why you can't be pro regulation and pro business at the same time.

    The best thing the GOP has accomplished in the last decade or so is convincing Americans that the Dems are somehow against these things. The Democratic party is pretty damn corporatist too with just a bit more leaning towards union dominated industries. The Dems are pretty damn iffy about raising taxes too they just don't beat the tax cut drum on every single issue. Frankly taxes are overdone as an issue by the GOP since our taxes are fucking low as hell compared to other 1st world nations anyway.

    nexuscrawler on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2009
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Run for office.

    Please

    None of the conservatives on this board would make it through a primary.

    Yeah, if I ever run, I'm almost certainly running as a Dem. You can be a conservative Dem (though "conservative Dem" usually just means "pro-corporation" of late). A liberal Pub, though, will be devoured, churned into paste by the intestinal tract of right-wing media, and squirted from its angry sphincter into a puddle of squelching obscurity.

    ...

    I think I just nauseated myself a bit.

    ElJeffe on
    Maddie: "I named my feet. The left one is flip and the right one is flop. Oh, and also I named my flip-flops."
  • PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I can appreciate the substance of what Grayson is attempting to do. There's a lot of crazy shit coming out of the GOP, and he's calling them on it in a very blunt fashion. But I really don't think what he's doing is going to help. So far, the only upshot of his (admittedly entertaining) tirades is that folks like Bill O. and Limbaugh are talking about what dicks the Democrats are. I'd be surprised if Grayson convinced a single person that the GOP's ideas on health care are shit, but he probably convinced a few that he's an asshole.

    I fail to see the utility in that.

    No, I think that, tactically, a political part needs a strong, motivating message both to appeal to undecided voters and to motivate their base.

    "Umm, sir, I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but Obama is not technically a terrorist because, well, and here's where we will have to politely disagree, he, for instance, has never killed anybody or committed acts of terrorism, per se."

    That doesn't convince undecided voters that you're worth having in office, that doesn't get money from your base. A little fire and brimstone is important, being the "spineless, technically correct" party isn't a good way to win elections.

    My concern and complaint is mostly that being angry and loud often leads one to being angry, loud, and stupid. I only take issue with the "stupid" part, I basically want meaner, angrier, nastier, and smarter politicians with plenty of patience.

    In a perfect world we could all sip tea and discuss politics and there would be no reason to raise your voice. In reality being the guy who meekly mumbles while Bill O'Reilly screams costs you votes and support, no matter how right or wrong you are.

    PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2009
    I prefer someone in the Barney Frank mold - calm, quiet, and snarky as hell. He still makes headlines, but he doesn't seem to have a reputation as a giant cock, outside of the general opinion of those on the right that anyone who supports the liberal agenda is a giant cock by definition.

    ElJeffe on
    Maddie: "I named my feet. The left one is flip and the right one is flop. Oh, and also I named my flip-flops."
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I can appreciate the substance of what Grayson is attempting to do. There's a lot of crazy shit coming out of the GOP, and he's calling them on it in a very blunt fashion. But I really don't think what he's doing is going to help. So far, the only upshot of his (admittedly entertaining) tirades is that folks like Bill O. and Limbaugh are talking about what dicks the Democrats are. I'd be surprised if Grayson convinced a single person that the GOP's ideas on health care are shit, but he probably convinced a few that he's an asshole.

    I fail to see the utility in that.

    No, I think that, tactically, a political part needs a strong, motivating message both to appeal to undecided voters and to motivate their base.

    "Umm, sir, I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but Obama is not technically a terrorist because, well, and here's where we will have to politely disagree, he, for instance, has never killed anybody or committed acts of terrorism, per se."

    That doesn't convince undecided voters that you're worth having in office, that doesn't get money from your base. A little fire and brimstone is important, being the "spineless, technically correct" party isn't a good way to win elections.

    My concern and complaint is mostly that being angry and loud often leads one to being angry, loud, and stupid. I only take issue with the "stupid" part, I basically want meaner, angrier, nastier, and smarter politicians with plenty of patience.

    In a perfect world we could all sip tea and discuss politics and there would be no reason to raise your voice. In reality being the guy who meekly mumbles while Bill O'Reilly screams costs you votes and support, no matter how right or wrong you are.

    So you're saying that the Republicans hold a majority of the Congress and the White House?

    moniker on
  • KanamitKanamit Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Just do what this one prominent local liberal Republican that I know did: go to Planned Parenthood fundraisers because you're pro-choice one day and say that you're pro-life in the Republican primary debate a few days later.

    Kanamit on
  • PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    snip

    So you're saying that the Republicans hold a majority of the Congress and the White House?

    I'm capable of understanding the difference between being complacent, assertive, and insane. If Republicans were loud, assertive, angry, effective, and intelligent, then yes, I'd certainly hope they would hold a majority of the Congress and the White House.

    As they're loud, angry, worthless, insane, and self-destructive, I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make, aside from maybe "being angry and stupid isn't effective," which is kind of what I already said in about three different ways.

    PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2009
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Run for office.

    Please

    None of the conservatives on this board would make it through a primary.

    That and it takes a certain type of crazy to go through that.

    I'm also an atheist, so no way in hell would I make it.

    psychotix on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    As the seat of office becomes higher, the chances of any politician NOT being pro-corporation approaches zero.

    Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I can appreciate the substance of what Grayson is attempting to do. There's a lot of crazy shit coming out of the GOP, and he's calling them on it in a very blunt fashion. But I really don't think what he's doing is going to help. So far, the only upshot of his (admittedly entertaining) tirades is that folks like Bill O. and Limbaugh are talking about what dicks the Democrats are. I'd be surprised if Grayson convinced a single person that the GOP's ideas on health care are shit, but he probably convinced a few that he's an asshole.

    I fail to see the utility in that.

    No, I think that, tactically, a political part needs a strong, motivating message both to appeal to undecided voters and to motivate their base.

    "Umm, sir, I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but Obama is not technically a terrorist because, well, and here's where we will have to politely disagree, he, for instance, has never killed anybody or committed acts of terrorism, per se."

    That doesn't convince undecided voters that you're worth having in office, that doesn't get money from your base. A little fire and brimstone is important, being the "spineless, technically correct" party isn't a good way to win elections.

    My concern and complaint is mostly that being angry and loud often leads one to being angry, loud, and stupid. I only take issue with the "stupid" part, I basically want meaner, angrier, nastier, and smarter politicians with plenty of patience.

    In a perfect world we could all sip tea and discuss politics and there would be no reason to raise your voice. In reality being the guy who meekly mumbles while Bill O'Reilly screams costs you votes and support, no matter how right or wrong you are.

    So you're saying that the Republicans hold a majority of the Congress and the White House?

    The democrats certainly act like they do, which is the whole problem

    override367 on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA
    edited October 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    Racism hasn't gone away, but things are still a damn lot further along now than in '69. That shouldn't disabuse the notion that there is a lot further yet to go, but...well look at some of the shit that regularly occurred in the 50's and 60's that are unheard of today. I mean, look at Emmett Till. The fact that we still aren't at the mountain top doesn't mean we're still sitting at base camp; nor that we should ignore the huge strides that have been made.

    Fair enough. The problem is that when people point out the progress we've made, it's usually as part of an argument on why we should disassemble those programs which have helped us make said progress.

    Bionic Monkey on
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sheep wrote: »

    I know I plan on at least running for local office. Eventually. Mainly to get the power balance... re balanced since the local big church controls everything that Wal Mart doesn't.

    Wow... you have my sympathies sir.

    Deebaser on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sheep: I'm sure you've thought of this already, but just in case... When you actually do go for it, I would advise asking the admins to Rygar-fy your account here, just in case. I know if I ran for office I wouldn't want anyone sifting through my posts here.

    Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    psychotix wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Run for office.

    Please

    None of the conservatives on this board would make it through a primary.

    That and it takes a certain type of crazy to go through that.

    I'm also an atheist, so no way in hell would I make it.

    Psssshhh... don't mention the fact that you're an atheist, and throw in a couple "Cod Bless America"s and no one will know.

    Deebaser on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Sheep wrote: »

    I know I plan on at least running for local office. Eventually. Mainly to get the power balance... re balanced since the local big church controls everything that Wal Mart doesn't.

    Wow... you have my sympathies sir.

    And that is NOT hyperbole.

    I wish I did have a tally of how much business this town has lost because the people down town want to keep it "quaint". Our alcohol laws are ridiculous. Mississippi's is ridiculous ANYWAY. Our prohibition era laws are still on the books.

    They constantly refuse businesses over shitty things, and the businesses always go to the next city down I55. So more and more cool shit gets built there because there's always cool shit being built there.

    Thankfully some of it is lightening up. They recently expanded the city limits to allow businesses to build along a major highway. Still at least 5 years out. Maybe more given the recession.

    Sheep on
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I prefer someone in the Barney Frank mold - calm, quiet, and snarky as hell. He still makes headlines, but he doesn't seem to have a reputation as a giant cock, outside of the general opinion of those on the right that anyone who supports the liberal agenda is a giant cock by definition.

    Al Franken is awesome as well.

    Loren Michael on
  • psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2009
    Deebaser wrote: »
    psychotix wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Run for office.

    Please

    None of the conservatives on this board would make it through a primary.

    That and it takes a certain type of crazy to go through that.

    I'm also an atheist, so no way in hell would I make it.

    Psssshhh... don't mention the fact that you're an atheist, and throw in a couple "Cod Bless America"s and no one will know.

    I'll pass, and I'm to blunt for that. I tend to say what's on my mind.

    psychotix on
This discussion has been closed.