As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The New GOP Thread: Taking Anti-Intellectualism to a Whole New Level

• ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I can appreciate the substance of what Grayson is attempting to do. There's a lot of crazy shit coming out of the GOP, and he's calling them on it in a very blunt fashion. But I really don't think what he's doing is going to help. So far, the only upshot of his (admittedly entertaining) tirades is that folks like Bill O. and Limbaugh are talking about what dicks the Democrats are. I'd be surprised if Grayson convinced a single person that the GOP's ideas on health care are shit, but he probably convinced a few that he's an asshole.

I fail to see the utility in that.

He also sucks really bad at picking the right words, where I think it makes it hard for moderates to sympathize with what he's saying. Like, "Republicans want you to die, and quick."

Well, no, they don't want you to die, but plenty in Congress are apathetic if you do. And, really, that probably goes for both parties.

Like a few previous posters have said, I prefer Franken (in the senate) or Frank where they just point out the error without being too hyperbolic or an unsympathetic dick about it.

Clevinger on
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Grayson is very useful for the democratic party. First of all, the base eats it up like crazy. For years, even decades, they see the GOP slandering and lying, and someone who actively calls out all the lies, and hits them back at the same level, is something they've been asking for all that time. See how popular Grayson is on dailykos.

Second, going negative works in some ways. You tend to get a lot of media attention. And Grayson gets even more, since he's the most extreme on his side on the fence. You drag down both yourself and your opponents, which can turn out quite well if you stand to benefit from less people showing up for an election.

In a perfect world, you don't need Grayson. But a lot of voters are not well informed, and certainly not rational. And if you sling the right mud, you can be very effective with those voters.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »
    The problem is that the democrats are only better because they're so goddamn ineffectual! If it weren't for all the party in-fighting that comes from being the catchall-party for years, we'd have the most retarded legislation in years cruising right on into law right now.

The blue dogs have made good legislation demonstrably worse.

Reminds me of Lewis Black's take on the two party system

"We have the Democrats, who are a party of no ideas, and the Republicans, who are a party of bad ideas. A republican stands up and says "I HAVE A REALLY SHITTY IDEA!" and then a Democrat stands up and says "AND I CAN MAKE IT SHITTIER!"

Undead Scottsman on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    To paraphrase TYT, under normal political circumstances where both sides are civil, Grayson would be a blight to be purged with fire.

Under the circumstances we have now, he's really the only voice on the left shouting back to the pack of howling monkeys on the right.

override367 on
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    To paraphrase TYT, under normal political circumstances where both sides are civil, Grayson would be a blight to be purged with fire.

Under the circumstances we have now, he's really the only voice on the left shouting back to the pack of howling monkeys on the right.

Did they say that after the first hour? I know i should subscribe, but I really only listen to the first hour on the way to work.

Oh yeah, that's awesome and sums it up perfectly.

Deebaser on
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Grayson is very useful for the democratic party. First of all, the base eats it up like crazy. For years, even decades, they see the GOP slandering and lying, and someone who actively calls out all the lies, and hits them back at the same level, is something they've been asking for all that time. See how popular Grayson is on dailykos.

Second, going negative works in some ways. You tend to get a lot of media attention. And Grayson gets even more, since he's the most extreme on his side on the fence. You drag down both yourself and your opponents, which can turn out quite well if you stand to benefit from less people showing up for an election.

In a perfect world, you don't need Grayson. But a lot of voters are not well informed, and certainly not rational. And if you sling the right mud, you can be very effective with those voters.

I would rather that only Grayson stoop to the GOP's level than the entire party. Let the GOP bicker with Grayson all they want, but at the end of the day it's still only one man combating an entire party with the same rhetoric. It says more about the GOP than it does Grayson.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    psychotix wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Run for office.

Please

None of the conservatives on this board would make it through a primary.

That and it takes a certain type of crazy to go through that.

I'm also an atheist, so no way in hell would I make it.

Psssshhh... don't mention the fact that you're an atheist, and throw in a couple "Cod Bless America"s and no one will know.

I'll pass, and I'm to blunt for that. I tend to say what's on my mind.

Say you're a Unitarian.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
    edited October 2009
    Bullio wrote: »
    SanderJK wrote: »

I would rather that only Grayson stoop to the GOP's level than the entire party. Let the GOP bicker with Grayson all they want, but at the end of the day it's still only one man combating an entire party with the same rhetoric. It says more about the GOP than it does Grayson.

Totally agree, but I would really, really like to see alot more senators actively challenging bullshit with facts like Franken though. In this environment we need someone like Grayson though, on the offensive, etc.

He speaks entirely in sound bytes as well, which is awesome. Seriously listen to the man talk to the media, nothing he says can be taken out of context, and it's all very quick and to the point. That means some of it is inaccurate, but it's how the right has been shitting on healthcare.

override367 on
  • psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Run for office.

Please

Psssshhh... don't mention the fact that you're an atheist, and throw in a couple "Cod Bless America"s and no one will know.

Say you're a Unitarian.

Well, if you want to get technical I got baptised as an Episcopalian at church that my dad only went to because a lot of his friends when he worked in the white house under Nixon went to. I met Ollie North and others there. But I was always told it was a bunch of bullshit and just done for image... haven't been to church since I was rather young.

psychotix on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Run for office.

Please

Say you're a Unitarian.

By the time you're old enough to actually have a chance running for the Senate (not just eligible) who knows, being an Athiest might not be a killer. You'd just be the equivalent of Keith Ellison or something.

moniker on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Goddamnit, Bob McDonnell's going to be elected Governor of Virginia next week. Fuck.

Captain Carrot on
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Run for office.

Please

Well than that pretty much kills your political ambitions right there.

Deebaser on
    edited October 2009
    Goddamnit, Bob McDonnell's going to be elected Governor of Virginia next week. Fuck.

Well, that's the Dems fault.

As a VA resident, things are very complicated here. You can slice up VA into three items. NoVA, socially liberal as all hell. Most civilians are pretty hardcore progressive, but there are a lot of military people for whom Democrats, unless they are ex military and pro gun, don't sit right. This is your "blue" area.

SOVA, rednecks... as far right as you can get.

Military on the coast. Pretty far to the right, and given the hatred tossed at the military by many on the left and the "the military is great, just not my kid" by the pro military on the left, will bolt to right off reflex.

That's not to say it's not winnable by the blue team, it is. VA is at core (other then the far right areas) about pragmatics and making money, and for the most part rather liberal on the social side. The issue is that the democtratic party thinks they can just run anybody and say "Mark Warner" and grab the governors spot, that's not the case. Warner is/was, rather a fiscal conservative, and a no nonsense type of guy and and incredibly charismatic, didn't hurt that he made millions as in the private industry in telcoms and NOVA's wealth is all in telcom and IT. Time Kaine was Warner light, Deeds is Kaine light.... hence the fail.

Also, we aren't blue. Webb, is not your typical democrat but fits in well here. Low key guy, drinker, gun lover, military. Warner had his record as governor and frankly will slaughter anybody here for anything, he could easily take VA and a good portion of the South for a pres ticket just by being the VP on it. So they are both powerhouses.

Deeds, is a shitty candidate. And he lacks any of the advantages our senators had when they ran for their offices.

Plus, I take it you don't understand the tristate politics over transportation here. Deeds fucked that up which is instant death there.

I probably just won't vote.

psychotix on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Of course Obama won there too, so a more traditional Democrat can. But Deeds didn't run that way either.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Has this been posted yet?

http://www.scribd.com/doc/21808122/Judge-Carter-Ruling-on-MTD

I haven't read the whole thing (30 pages) but I take it it's not good for Orly.

Scooter on
    edited October 2009
    Scooter wrote: »
    Has this been posted yet?

http://www.scribd.com/doc/21808122/Judge-Carter-Ruling-on-MTD

I haven't read the whole thing (30 pages) but I take it it's not good for Orly.

That woman is crazy. Like Level 5 Bachmann crazy.

Deebaser on
    edited October 2009
    Of course Obama won there too, so a more traditional Democrat can. But Deeds didn't run that way either.

Mostly frustration at Bush and Obama is seen here as an actual centrist, who lied to the liberals and convinced them that he was a progressive (the left equivilant of a birther here) when everybody thought he was a centrist.

If he pushes through UHC, removes DADT, and pulls from Afghanistan he's fucked in 2012 and odds are Repubs get their senate seats back.

VA is rather silly.

psychotix on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Deeds also chucked a good portion of the traditional Democratic machine in the state. His advisors lost this one for him before he ever really even had a chance.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited October 2009
    If he pushes through UHC
    I'm sure 2038 Obama is shaking in his boots.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited October 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    If he pushes through UHC

Any sort of government health care here is viewed as fucking horrible. Mostly because of how shitty health care in the military, and through it tricare and VA health options, actually are. It's viewed as a fucking cluster fuck, and it is. So here it's "well, if they keep fucking the troops with it who keep paying out of pocket extra rather then using the system, we don't fucking want it".

So any sort of health care reform is bad. Unless he keep things private and magically drop prices, it's a losing issue.

psychotix on
    edited October 2009
    If he pushes through UHC

Any sort of government health care here is viewed as fucking horrible. Mostly because of how shitty health care in the military, and through it tricare and VA health options, actually are. It's viewed as a fucking cluster fuck, and it is. So here it's "well, if they keep fucking the troops with it who keep paying out of pocket extra rather then using the system, we don't fucking want it".

So any sort of health care reform is bad. Unless he keep things private and magically drop prices, it's a losing issue.
    Then hopefully he's not counting on VA in '12. If you're in a lose-lose with one state, you might as well put yourself up for a win in another.

OptimusZed on

edited October 2009
    They aren't reforming health care, they're reforming health insurance. And I'd love to have the care my grandpa gets through the VA or Medicare compared to the shit that I'm on. Just without the whole, you know, 'serving in the navy' bit.

moniker on
    edited October 2009
    If he pushes through UHC

Then hopefully he's not counting on VA in '12. If you're in a lose-lose with one state, you might as well put yourself up for a win in another.

I'd agree, but the dems need to quit pretending that it's trending democratic, or that they can run a progressive here.

They can win here by running non progressives.

psychotix on
    edited October 2009
    So despite Virginia having two Democratic Senators for the first time in thirty years, neither of whom is a blue dog, and voting for a Democrat for President for the first time in forty-four, it's not trending Democratic?

Captain Carrot on
    edited October 2009
    So despite Virginia having two Democratic Senators for the first time in thirty years, neither of whom is a blue dog, and voting for a Democrat for President for the first time in forty-four, it's not trending Democratic?
    It's trending slower than the country in aggregate. Compared to 6-8 years ago, we've practically lurched leftward as a nation. This is being seen everywhere, but more in some places than others.

OptimusZed on

edited October 2009
    Wait, I thought the VA had fantastic care per dollar it was given

override367 on
    edited October 2009
    53-44, 54-46, 46-53 in the last three elections. That swung pretty hard, and in fact faster than the country as a whole.

enlightenedbum on
    edited October 2009
    53-44, 54-46, 46-53 in the last three elections. That swung pretty hard, and in fact faster than the country as a whole.
    That's interesting. I'll be curious to see if that proves to be more than just spasmodic.

OptimusZed on

edited October 2009
    That's interesting. I'll be curious to see if that proves to be more than just spasmodic.

There is a question if it the speed of the turn around was just young people and African Americans turning out more than usual for Obama and if those groups would continue to do so for other Democrats. Clearly not when the candidate actively pisses off the base and the Obama White House, but someone vaguely competent? Wouldn't surprise me.

enlightenedbum on
    edited October 2009
    It's trending slower than the country in aggregate.
    Actually, it isn't. In 2000, Bush beat Gore in Virginia 52.5 to 44.4, 8.5 percent more Republican than the whole country. In 2008, Obama beat McCain in Virginia 52.6 to 46.3, 1 percent more Republican than the whole country. Virginia's moving to the left on its own in addition to partaking in the general shift.

Captain Carrot on
    edited October 2009
    Isn't the VA Governor's mansion pretty much always occupied by a member of the party not currently in the White House? Not that I believe in 'curses' or anything, but still.

moniker on
    edited October 2009

There is a question if it the speed of the turn around was just young people and African Americans turning out more than usual for Obama and if those groups would continue to do so for other Democrats. Clearly not when the candidate actively pisses off the base and the Obama White House, but someone vaguely competent? Wouldn't surprise me.
    2008 was a perfect storm for Republicans in a lot of ways. The really unfortunate thing is that the energy is completely gone at this point. The elections to take back power are always more highly charged than those to simply maintain it. Especially when a lot of people are feeling let down by the results so far.

OptimusZed on

edited October 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    Isn't the VA Governor's mansion pretty much always occupied by a member of the party not currently in the White House? Not that I believe in 'curses' or anything, but still.

The party occupying the White House has lost every Gubernatorial election in Virgina since 1981.

enlightenedbum on
    edited October 2009
    It's trending slower than the country in aggregate.
    Actually, it isn't. In 2000, Bush beat Gore in Virginia 52.5 to 44.4, 8.5 percent more Republican than the whole country. In 2008, Obama beat McCain in Virginia 52.6 to 46.3, 1 percent more Republican than the whole country. Virginia's moving to the left on its own in addition to partaking in the general shift.
    Yeah, I spoke from personal experience rather than hard data. My bad.

OptimusZed on

edited October 2009
    OptimusZed wrote:
    2008 was a perfect storm for Republicans in a lot of ways. The really unfortunate thing is that the energy is completely gone at this point. The elections to take back power are always more highly charged than those to simply maintain it. Especially when a lot of people are feeling let down by the results so far.
    Hold on, Sparky, we've got more than a year until midterms. Plenty of time for shit to change.

Captain Carrot on
    edited October 2009
    OptimusZed wrote:
    Hold on, Sparky, we've got more than a year until midterms. Plenty of time for shit to change.

Not really, it's the mid-terms. You always lose a bit with those or at best stay even. The fact that the Dem's won two consecutive elections as well as they did is an outlier. I mean, hopefully one that continues; but still, eventually things are going to revert back to the mean.

moniker on
    edited October 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote:

Not really, it's the mid-terms. You always lose a bit with those or at best stay even. The fact that the Dem's won two consecutive elections as well as they did is an outlier. I mean, hopefully one that continues; but still, eventually things are going to revert back to the mean.

The election cycle stops for maybe six months in off years these days. Maybe. By the August recess it was election time again.

enlightenedbum on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I don't think the 2010 midterms will be that bad for the democratic party, not because they'll necessarily do well, but because there just aren't that many opportunities for republican pickups.

I mean it's really hard to see the republicans picking up more than one or maybe two seats in the senate, which is academic given that the dems apparently can't whip their fucking caucus for shit in that chamber anyway, and if they lose five or ten moderate seats in the house it doesn't matter that much.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    edited October 2009
    I'm calling it now: nothing much will change. we'll gain Missouri, Ohio, and New Hampshire, no other seats will change hands. And yes, I'm keeping Reid, Bennet, Dodd, Lincoln, and Burris in mind.

Captain Carrot on
    edited October 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »
    I don't think the 2010 midterms will be that bad for the democratic party, not because they'll necessarily do well, but because there just aren't that many opportunities for republican pickups.

I mean it's really hard to see the republicans picking up more than one or maybe two seats in the senate, which is academic given that the dems apparently can't whip their fucking caucus for shit in that chamber anyway, and if they lose five or ten moderate seats in the house it doesn't matter that much.
    Polling was still showing Dems netting seats in the house as of a month or so ago. I haven't really seen anything since. I think there was also a +1 or so in the Senate. The lull is coming, but it's starting at a very high point to begin with. As of the latest real round of results that I know about the Dems weren't set to make the pickups they did this last round, but they were still making pickups.

OptimusZed on

This discussion has been closed.