As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So many router problems...

BucketmanBucketman Call meSkraggRegistered User regular
Ok so, trying to set up my old school D-Link DI-604 router for Borderlands. I know what ports I need to open, so I went ahead and opened them. Running a port checker says there still closed. I followed all the steps here and still no go. I tried using 3rd party software that sets it up, another no.

So whats my problem? well I thought it might be my lack of a static IP address. so I followed These steps. However, when I check my IP with any random IP checker I get some weird IP. I set it for 192.168.0.103 but when I check it using an external checker I get my IP as 216.176.159.190.

I havent really messed with this stuff in like five years so I'm lost here. Any help you guys could provide would be greatly appricated. Thanks in advance

Bucketman on

• Options
    xYUUBINKYOKUxxYUUBINKYOKUx Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    that IP you get is the one that your ISP is giving the router. The outside world is always going to see the IP the router has and thats fine. The static IP is good to have internally if you need to open up ports so that you can set whatever port to be open on just 192.168.1.X. Does your router have a DMZ? If so try setting the DMZ to the ip you set.

xYUUBINKYOKUx on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    how much of a risk am I really taking with DMZ? I mean I have anti-virus and stuff on my PC. but it gives me a big old warning when I enable it.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    ok well I set up my IP (192.168.0.103) for DMZ, and it still won't work. Perhaps my PC isn't taking to the Static IP? All I did was go into my IPv4 settings and set it. that should do it right?

Also, I called up my ISP and got the propber DNS servers. And completely turned Windows Firewall off. At this point instead of timing out when I use port checkers the connection is getting refused

Bucketman on
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    There was something strange with Borderlands, that you had to create either a public lobby or invite some people into a private lobby, then restart.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    There was something strange with Borderlands, that you had to create either a public lobby or invite some people into a private lobby, then restart.

its not just with Borderlands though. No port checkers I use seem to get through.

I almost feel like it would be a good idea to go out and buy a cheapo $20 Belkin from Wal-Mart and see if its the 6 year old router just not wanting to work with newer stuff.

Bucketman on