As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dude, you should totally watch this when you're high. [Drugs Enhancing Art]

Page-Page- Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
I don't take drugs of any kind, even alcohol. It's not any sort of ethical or religious decision, I've just never felt the need and I can't stand the taste of alcohol (and I've tried many times).

At the same time, Radiohead is one of my favourite bands of all time; in fact, I listen to a lot of music even weirder than they put out, from Captain Beefheart and John Cage, to Battles and The Flaming Lips. I enjoy Aqua Teen Hunger Force, I find the surreal humour produced by the likes of Channel 101 to be hilarious, FLCL is one of my favourite animes, and I enjoy other things like Look Around You and Don Hertzfeldt's cartoons.

I'm not gong to rant against drug use, because frankly I don't care. However, I rarely go to concerts because I find the inevitable haze of pot smoke to be extremely distracting and annoying. When I saw Radiohead in 2003 it was probably the breaking point; there was basically a cloud of pot smoke over everything, I don't even know what the hell those people in the front of the floor were up to (except that the band actually stopped the show because someone collapsed at the front, waited for them to be taken to an ambulance, Thom made a couple of awkward comments, etc.). But I'm digressing, because the main thrust of this topic is just why?

Does getting wasted actually improve your perceptions or something? I can enjoy a song like Everything in it's Right Place just by listening to it. I'll admit that my mood will alter how I feel toward a given piece of art (or entertainment), but am I missing something by not dropping acid before I go to a show? What worries me more is that some people only seem to enjoy certain things WHEN they're high. Shouldn't the art itself be able to transport you?

tl;dr: Does getting high or wasted qualitatively improve certain bits of art or entertainment. Are people who experience things sober actually missing out?

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
stream
Page- on

• WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    No it doesn't make it qualitatively better. But things certainly do seem more important/you feel more involved mentally with what you are listening to/watching.

Wassermelone on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I wouldn't go so far as to say it's objectively better every time, but the experience can be very different. More interesting at the very least.

Frankly, though, talking about this to somebody who doesn't do drugs is a little like trying to explain color to a blind man. That's not meant to be a dig on you, it's just that verbally describing the way drugs alter perception doesn't really do it justice.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • TalkaTalka Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I don't know if I can say sober people are missing out, but in my personal experience... yes, weed makes music better. Alcohol not as much as weed, but some kinds of music get better when you're plastered or at least buzzed.

Talka on
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It doesn't improve art. It only improves your thoughts about art. Drugs make you feel good. Music pleases you as well. Therefore you percieve something to be better than it would be without drugs.

JebusUD on
    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Odd. Most of my friends smoke pot now and then, but they have terrible tastes in music and films, so it's not something I can talk to them about. I will admit that the thing that's brought me closest to trying something like pot was the idea that I could experience something like music in a different way.

Then I caught a whiff of the stuff and had to leave the room. I'd probably be one of those annoying guys who just sits around and acts retarded when high, anyway, so no big loss. ;o

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I have had a couple experiences with weed where I felt a child-like sense of wonder

a Weight Watchers ice cream sundae was suddenly the best sundae I'd ever had

or, I was watching a documentary about the ocean and I could not get over how beautiful the fucking jellyfish were

or, I played Beetles Rockband and the intro was mindblowingly awesome

so yeah, I think drugs can alter your experiences and cause you to notice or enjoy things more than you otherwise might

alcohol doesn't have this effect, that I've noticed

skippydumptruck on
    edited October 2009
    Well, I do get the occasional msn conversation that goes a little like this:

friend: I've got this bottle of red wine, I'm feeling so good right now.
    me: sounds good.
    friend: going to play some speed chess.
    5 minutes later
    friend: lolol this is the best shit ever. I'm playing so retarded and I don't care. This guy is pissed as hell, but I won't rematch.

Substitute speed chess with super low-stakes online poker once and a while and you get the general idea.

Seems fun enough, wish I could taste something besides alcohol when I try to drink.

Page- on
    stream
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I have had a couple experiences with weed where I felt a child-like sense of wonder

or, I was watching a documentary about the ocean and I could not get over how beautiful the fucking jellyfish were

so yeah, I think drugs can alter your experiences and cause you to notice or enjoy things more than you otherwise might

wut

A big greasy poutine is the best food on god's green earth after a night of awful beer and worse rum

Robman on
    edited October 2009
    Robman wrote: »
    wut

A big greasy poutine is the best food on god's green earth after a night of awful beer and worse rum

I just started smoking

I've been drinking for a long time

so maybe alcohol isn't as wonderful to me anymore?

<<

>>

skippydumptruck on
  • HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Robman wrote: »

wut

Oh man. Limed so hard.

Havelock on
  • ClipseClipse Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Blade Runner is spectacular when you're hammered. That's all I've got.

Clipse on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I have always thought that people who tell you to listen/watch/whatever something when you're high cause oh man it's so much better are retarded. Of course you think it's better, you're stoned out of your mind. You think watching snails cross the sidewalk is high philosophy and that cheesy fries are the world's best cuisine.

Ugh. If I ever have one more person tell me to get baked before listening to an album I think I'ma slap them.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    edited October 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »
    I have always thought that people who tell you to listen/watch/whatever something when you're high cause oh man it's so much better are retarded. Of course you think it's better, you're stoned out of your mind. You think watching snails cross the sidewalk is high philosophy and that cheesy fries are the world's best cuisine.

Ugh. If I ever have one more person tell me to get baked before listening to an album I think I'ma slap them.

INORITE

how dare they enjoy something!

skippydumptruck on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

INORITE

no, see

I quite enjoy being stoned out of my mind (well not stoned normally but you get the idea)

I'm just not out there trying to convince people it gives me wonderful perception of art that I never had before

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The reason everyone is stoned at a Radiohead concert is that listening to them sober is fucking torture.

And yeah, you can have fun without drinking or doing drugs; you can also start a fire with a couple of sticks, but why bother when we've invented the fucking lighter?

Thanatos on
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    The reason everyone is stoned at a Radiohead concert is that listening to them sober is fucking torture.

And yeah, you can have fun without drinking or doing drugs; you can also start a fire with a couple of sticks, but why bother when we've invented the fucking lighter?

Every advancement in civilization has been done to make smoking pot easier and more rewarding

Robman on
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Some guy on here had a great story about how he was doing acid one time when his mom unexpectedly came home from work early. She decided to unwind with a movie--the movie, in this case, being Event Horizon.

I did shrooms once, and it went poorly for all sorts of social reasons, but the actual hallucinations were great. I'd love to get the chance again in a more controlled environment.

Edit: for topicality, drugs can absolutely go well with art. I used to love getting wasted and watching TV, which I think is a pretty common thing. Comedy gets funnier, and drama gets more moving. It's a roller-coaster. It's not necessarily that drugs are putting you into contact with a better realm of aesthetic appreciation... merely a different one. I certainly wouldn't want to be drunk every time I watched TV for the rest of my life.

MrMister on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

INORITE

no, see

I quite enjoy being stoned out of my mind (well not stoned normally but you get the idea)

I'm just not out there trying to convince people it gives me wonderful perception of art that I never had before

I think certain things are more interesting than other things in the same vein when high. Like, Jaws high is a lot more interesting than, say, Schindler's List high.

That is, if you can get passed the menu. I once got stoned and intended to watch Wanted but the music during the DVD menu was so good at the time that I just let that play on loop for an hour.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've tried to explain the pros of watching something or listening to something while drunk or high to a friend of mine who doesn't drink or do any drugs (like the OP, it's not a moral objection; he just doesn't have the desire to).
    Basically, it removes a certain sensory filter, so you experience things more intensely. While this won't necessarily make a shitty song or movie good, it can make an okay one amazing. The reason there's a filter in the first place is because it would be pretty difficult to function day to day without it.

TubularLuggage on
  • Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I kinda have trouble just sitting down and listening to music, normally. I mean, I like music, but I get bored, I need something else to do while I listen. But if I smoke weed, I have no trouble just focusing on nothing but the music. Admittedly, I might not remember it well afterward.

Pi-r8 on
  • RebeccaRebecca Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    As far as my experiences are concerned pot and alcohol don't really make anything "better". I'm using quotes here because yes you do have a bit of an altered perception when under the influence, but I could get the same experience without the drugs and or alcohol if I really focused on what I was doing. Like eating something, close your eyes and smell the food before taking a bite, chew slowly focusing on each ingredient that makes up the dish and then let the flavors meld together before swallowing. It'll taste better.

What worries me more is that some people only seem to enjoy certain things WHEN they're high.

These are the people who I avoid, because no matter what you are doing they are going to want to make you take what ever it is they are taking. I could be wrong but it always felt that they wanted me to try it to justify them taking it. Everyone is doing it so it's ok.

Rebecca on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    MrMister wrote: »
    Some guy on here had a great story about how he was doing acid one time when his mom unexpectedly came home from work early. She decided to unwind with a movie--the movie, in this case, being Event Horizon.

I did shrooms once, and it went poorly for all sorts of social reasons, but the actual hallucinations were great. I'd love to get the chance again in a more controlled environment.

Edit: for topicality, drugs can absolutely go well with art. I used to love getting wasted and watching TV, which I think is a pretty common thing. Comedy gets funnier, and drama gets more moving. It's a roller-coaster. It's not necessarily that drugs are putting you into contact with a better realm of aesthetic appreciation... merely a different one. I certainly wouldn't want to be drunk every time I watched TV for the rest of my life.

Event Horizon would be pretty terrible. The first time I tried mushrooms, some idiot put this on.

TL DR on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    it makes any given experience different than it would be. sometimes this is better, sometimes (rarely in my experience and never for me personally) it can make things worse. sometimes it's mindblowing better or soulcrushingly worse.

if you have no interest in experiencing something differently than you have by all means don't try any drugs.

to the point, as I think the first response said, it's not measurably better. for some people the different experience is more enjoyable than the vanilla one.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

Event Horizon would be pretty terrible. The first time I tried mushrooms, some idiot put this on.

Paprika is not a good movie to show a first-timer, either.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

edited October 2009
    Basically, it removes a certain sensory filter, so you experience things more intensely. While this won't necessarily make a shitty song or movie good, it can make an okay one amazing. The reason there's a filter in the first place is because it would be pretty difficult to function day to day without it.

Right.

The brain has a natural ability to filter out irrelevant information. Like right now while I write this post I naturally ignore the frame around the text box and the sound of my fingers on the keys and my cat sitting on the floor beside me.

But when that filter is removed or subverted by drugs, you tend to notice nuances that you might not have noticed before. Beyond that, details that might otherwise seem irrelevant take on a much more important quality.

I'll use an analogy for Page-'s benefit. If you've ever seen Citizen Kane, you know that when the main character dies he utters the word "Rosebud" and it's a big mystery what "Rosebud" could possibly mean until the big reveal at the end. If you don't know the twist, you might be wondering if it's code for something or a metaphor or somebody's name; you're running through all the possible permutations in your brain for what the significance of Rosebud could be.

Well, on certain drugs, insignificant details take on a significant quality. It's easy for your brain to go on the same kind of exploratory bread crumb trail, mapping out possible metaphors and meanings for a line from a song or a bit of dialogue from a movie.

Now, you're not necessarily going to learn anything new about the song or movie - and that's fine, because it's all in your head anyway. But that sort of free-flowing mental association is fucking amazing for creativity. If you draw or paint or write or play an instrument, you can find incredible amounts of inspiration from a single experience.

Feral on

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    rosebud was a term wrh used for his wife's vag

or at least that's what I've heard.

but that's neither here nor there.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    edited October 2009
    I've heard that the drugs = creative catalyst idea is mostly a myth, though. At least from a lot of artists, which is obviously anecdotal, but still, they should know.

Still, the rest makes sense. I can only relate to altered moods with my experiences of being severely sleep deprived, where things are just different, and I laugh at stuff I never would have otherwise.

Page- on
    stream
    edited October 2009
    Page- wrote: »
    I've heard that the drugs = creative catalyst idea is mostly a myth, though. At least from a lot of artists, which is obviously anecdotal, but still, they should know.

Depends on the drug.

Feral on

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Feral wrote: »

Just browsing through the wiki, I can see the part where
    "...Almost immediately, the chief of the department, Doctor Toratarō Shima, goes on a nonsensical tirade and jumps through a window, nearly killing himself."

being pretty goddamn rough.

TL DR on
    edited October 2009
    Feral wrote: »

Just browsing through the wiki, I can see the part where
    "...Almost immediately, the chief of the department, Doctor Toratarō Shima, goes on a nonsensical tirade and jumps through a window, nearly killing himself."

being pretty goddamn rough.

It's a really hard movie to follow the plot when you're sober.

Feral on

edited October 2009
    Paprika IS some fucked up shit. Not in any sort of bad way, but it's completely the type of thing I can imagine someone saying you need to experience stoned or hopped up on shrooms or whatever.

Page- on
    stream
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Smoking some good quality weed and watching David Lynch's Dune is an experience. That's all I have to say.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
    edited October 2009
    I've heard that the drugs = creative catalyst idea is mostly a myth, though.

That its a myth is true. I went to art school and theres a fair amount of drug use there. The people using had art no more brilliant (or stupid) than the ones that were not.

Wassermelone on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Variable wrote: »
    rosebud was a term wrh used for his wife's vag

or at least that's what I've heard.

but that's neither here nor there.

i've heard rosebud used as a term for the butthole

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've heard that the drugs = creative catalyst idea is mostly a myth, though.

That its a myth is true. I went to art school and theres a fair amount of drug use there. The people using had art no more brilliant (or stupid) than the ones that were not.

Still, correlation doesn't equal causality (and yes, I realize that could work the other way too). It could be possible that they'd be even less creative without the drugs. Or maybe when they're using the drugs, they're not making an effort to focus on being creative.

I'm certainly not saying drugs always make someone more creative, but I definitely think certain drugs do assist in the creative process for some people.

TubularLuggage on
  • StreltsyStreltsy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Art is an emotional heightener, it's really not so different from a drug (except that it's not damaging); combining the two can take you on a even wilder ride.
    Pi-r8 wrote: »
    I kinda have trouble just sitting down and listening to music, normally. I mean, I like music, but I get bored, I need something else to do while I listen. But if I smoke weed, I have no trouble just focusing on nothing but the music. Admittedly, I might not remember it well afterward.

I find this to be the most rewarding aspect for me as well, it's hard for me to just sit down and listen to an slow-paced music without some sort of intoxication because I get distracted; and surfing the web or playing a game while listening to music feels disrespectful to me (if it's the first time you're listening to it anyways), and undermines my judgment or whether or not I actually like what I'm listening to (good art should stand on its own). Drugs put you in 'the mood' to be more receptive towards art, those moods happen from time to time anyhow but then you're not always prepared with the time to appreciate the art or the actual art on hand when they do.

Basically, what Feral said.

Streltsy on
    410239-1.png
    edited October 2009
    So, if you can already get yourself in the right mood for enjoying whatever, the drugs are superfluous?

I'm still sort of wondering whether or not I'm actually missing out.

If someone needs to get high before they can enjoy John Cage and I can enjoy John Cage without getting high, then I shouldn't need to get high. But if getting high and then listening to John Cage actually changes what you hear or experience in a way I would never get sober then I am missing something. Maybe it's not important, but it's still something.

Page- on
    stream
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I don't really care about art unless I've injested weed or a hallucinogen.

Even music. Music is good, sure. But I'm just not that big into music, unlike pretty much everyone else I know. I only get really into, I only feel moved by it when its either live or I'm intoxicated. Funny that Radiohead is mentioned in the OP, because for a long time Radiohead would be the music I'd choose after I smoked a joint.

This applies to other sorts of art as well. It just puts me in the right frame of mind, and interpretive, rather than analytical state.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
    edited October 2009
    So, if you can already get yourself in the right mood for enjoying whatever, the drugs are superfluous?

If someone needs to get high before they can enjoy John Cage and I can enjoy John Cage without getting high, then I shouldn't need to get high. But if getting high and then listening to John Cage actually changes what you hear or experience in a way I would never get sober then I am missing something. Maybe it's not important, but it's still something.

Think about this: You can enjoy a sandwich without mustard.

TL DR on
    edited October 2009

Yes you are missing out in a way. For example, you will never experience shrooms unless you eat shrooms.

But theres plenty of valid reasons to never do any of that stuff, and anyone who would judge you for that is someone you can do without.

Wassermelone on