As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

GVPresents: Halloween!

2»

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Nathan Broome aka Devildog

2zhfqzb.png

Origin: You ask anyone in the know about Nathan Broome, and if they're an honest sort, they'll tell you; he could have been one of the greats. One of the finest witches of all time.

How exactly he developed his affinity for magic is a matter of some considerable debate. Now some, they say he was just born that way, and if you'd ever seen his birth mark, his "Devil's mark," you might be inclined to believe them. And some, they say it all began with a curious sort of library book, bound in a curious sort of leather, penned with a curious sort of ink. Some say, out of earshot of the man of course, that it was a pact with the Devil himself. And Hell, maybe they're all true, in their own way.

But somehow or another, he came upon some power, and the boy simply took to it. A true magical prodigy. Now like all witches, Nathan couldn't be drowned, and he could fly with the aid of a broomstick, and use any number of magic tools; wands, pendants, staves, those kinds of things. He could manipulate one of the four base elements too; fire in his case. And like all witches, he could take an animal shape. Now most, they'll choose, you know, a bug. A crow. A cat. Something inconspicuous like, something that'll let 'em pass by unnoticed, that affords them some freedom of movement. Something real subtle. But Nathan, never bein' much of one for subtlety, he chose the shape of a dog. And not one of those cute little frou frou purse puppies. Hell nah, he picked the Scottish wolfhound. Biggest goddamn dog there is. Bred to kill wolves back in Scotland. Which, well-- it would make sense, wouldn't it? Fate bein' what it is.

You probably know the story. Hell, it being one of the oldest damn stories there is. A man goes out for a walk with his family and they're set upon by some men of poor character. Now, maybe if Nathan'd noticed the full moon that night, he woulda postponed the outing. If he'd been keepin' up on gossip, maybe he'd have known that a gang of werewolves had taken up residence in that particular park. But the fact is, he didn't, and there ain't no point in wondering about if's and maybe's. And the fact of the matter is, while four people walked into that park, only Nathan managed to drag himself out. Maybe it was the magic in him that did it, or one of the magic trinkets he had on him at the time. Or maybe it was just all that burning hate, and anger, and hurt inside him.

But Hell, no point in talkin' maybe's.

All that's known for sure is that, the next time Nathan Broome walked into that park on a full moon, he went in ready. It didn't take him long to find what he was lookin' for. The fight was fierce and fast, and when it ended, Nathan stood over the ruined bodies of the folk what done him wrong.

Now see, this here's the point in the story where one might expect old Nathan to swear vengeance against all werewolves, to walk the Earth wiping out them, and all the monsters like them. Hell, if only it were that kind of story. But the fact is, he didn't. The fact is, his nasty business done, he didn't feel a hunger for revenge, or a thirst for justice. Truth is, he didn't feel nothing. Nothing but empty. Soon after that, he pawned off all his magic trinkets, got himself a nice little pile of money, and spent the next ten years hiding at the bottom of a bottle.

Sure, some might think that's a bit of an extreme reaction. Other folks have lost people they cared about and not gone down such a bad road. But see, some people, they say that back on that grim day, when he killed them werewolves, he looked down, and saw the faces of his family right alongside those of the folks what killed them. Some say he found their bones, all chewed up and covered in spit, and put them to rest as was proper. Some say he never found a trace of those he thought dead, tried lookin' for them for a while, failed, and settled into despair. Again, maybe they're all true, in their way. Some stories are just like that.

But y'know, it's funny that you come asking after him now. Because see, there's been some rumors lately. Things people've been whispering about. Seems like some of Nathan's old friends and associates, sorcerors, witches, vampire hunters, those sort, have been going missing. People who were good to him, after the incident. Seems Nathan's a bit concerned, that he's been going around, trying to get back some of those trinkers he sold off a decade past. Seems he's found something worth involving himself in again, for the first time in years.

Yeah, Nathan Broome could have been one of the greats. And who knows? Maybe he still can be. But he'll have to hurry.
    Urrgh, that art came out so bad.

Munch on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited October 2009
    Okay. I'm going to give this until tonight (October 30th) at 11:59 central. Anyone who wants in, this is your ABSOLUTE LAST CHANCE to do so.

I think we'll likely take a break from these for a bit, since interest seems to be down. Or something.

DJ Eebs on
  • RobchamRobcham The Rabbit King of your pantsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    YOU GOTTA MAKE IT COOLER GEEBS

YOU GOTTA GIVE PEOPLE PRIZES

Robcham on
    edited October 2009
    Just for fun, here are some of the doodles I did when trying to develop the look of my character. For some reason, his top half kept getting fatter, while his bottom half kept getting skinnier.

2po7ceb.jpg

16gwxao.jpg

I actually much prefer the sketch versions. Much more energy and personality I think.

Munch on
    edited October 2009
    Robcham wrote: »
    YOU GOTTA MAKE IT COOLER GEEBS

YOU GOTTA GIVE PEOPLE PRIZES

man I ain't got money for prizes

DJ Eebs on
    edited October 2009
    Geebs you have to write erotic fan-fiction about whichever character wins.

Truly, it would be the most valuable of prizes.

Munch on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wait, now I'm interested Munch.

Wildcat on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    gonna write about a baby then

get geebs put away for a few years

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It was at the annual Brotherhood Masquerade when it happened...

She didn't realize it was him behind the mask. She didn't notice his speediness.

He didn't realize it was her behind the mask. He didn't notice the random happenstance that surrounded her.
    The Night Quicksilver banged Scarlet Witch. Coming soon to a theater near you.
    Starring Hugh Jackman as Quicksilver and Rebecca Romjin as Scarlet Witch.
    Special Guest Star: Ian McKellen as peeping tom Magneto.

Lucascraft on
    edited October 2009
    yes geebs

you must write fan fiction of the winning entry

and it must be good

Robcham on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    logic error

no fan fiction is good

does not compute

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
    edited October 2009
    EVERYTHING WRITTEN IS FAN FICTION OF LIFE

EVERYTHING

Robcham on
    edited October 2009
    And that's how Munch saved Halloween.

Munch on
    edited October 2009
    yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

Robcham on
    edited October 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    logic error

no fan fiction is good

does not compute

it's not necessarily good that fanfiction exists but it is possible for it to be well written

faynor you do not want to fuck with my knowledge of fanfiction because you will get burned

DJ Eebs on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    logic error

no fan fiction is good

does not compute

it's not necessarily good that fanfiction exists but it is possible for it to be well written

faynor you do not want to fuck with my knowledge of fanfiction because you will get burned

Geebs
    please don't post Of Mice and Mayhem
    not in front of the children

Antimatter on
    edited October 2009
    also I'm pretty sure that part of the deal with these was that people would be writing stuff about these characters but everyone is so disappointing that I doubt you could handle it

DJ Eebs on
    edited October 2009
    I AM HERE TO NOT DISAPPOINT YOU GEEBS

Robcham on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    geeebs one day I will write some juan chupacabra stuff

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited November 2009