As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Windows 7 - 64 or 32 Bit

InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Games and Technology
Hey guys, I've been contemplating about building a new computer for myself, namely for gaming. I've decided to take the leap on Windows 7, but the question I now face is whether I should go for the 32 bit or 64 bit version. I've been out of the loop on PC gaming for the longest while, and I've been hearing the worst stories about 64 bit compatibility issues. On the other hand, I've also heard that 64 bit allows you to expand beyond 4GB of ram while 32 bit limits you to 4GB?

It would be great if you guys could give me a nudge in the right direction. If this thread is supposed to be in the technology sub forum, I apologize and hope the moderators can move it to the right place. Thank you in advance. :mrgreen:

camo_sig2.png
Inzigna on

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    64 bit.

End thread.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If your processor supports 64bit, go with it. I've had Windows 7 64bit for a couple of months now and haven't experienced any problems so far.

By the way, there's a technology forum where this sort of stuff is usually discussed.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    64 bit if it is a new machine, no question.

Here is the Windows 7 thread;

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=100658

Windows 7 is a pretty awesome OS, enjoy!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    it is most probable that you have not been hearing compatibility problems with Windows 7 64bit, you've been hearing compatibility problems with windows XP 64bit edition which was a burning pile of garbage.

From now on, consider 32bit as the gimpy stepchild.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So far on Win 7 64 I've installed and played Mass Effect and Baldur's Gate 2, and next week I'll be throwing Dragon Age on there as well. I haven't had any issues.

I know it's not a comprehensive list by any means, but it's a modern game and an older game and they both run fine.

I would think that if you're building a gaming PC you probably want to get at least two years out of it, and the higher supported memory alone makes 64-bit the go to choice in my opinion.

langfor6 on
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've used only 64bit OS for over a year now. XP, Vista and now 7.

Never had any trouble running any applications, only XP 64 gave me trouble with drivers. Used Vista 64 for a year without any trouble at all, switched to 7 about 2 weeks ago.

Satsumomo on
  • InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Lovely, my dilemma has been settled then, kudos to all of you fine gentlemen (and ladies, just in case).

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
This discussion has been closed.