As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Bitching About Bad Comics Thread

• jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The regular Captain America book picks up at 602 (or 603) once Reborn is over.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I was a bit peeved that the Captain America: Road to Reborn trade contained only a couple issues of storyline, and the rest was random filler

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The Road to _____ books are always a bunch of reprints and filler.

Robos A Go Go on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Keith wrote: »
    He's also really good at doing Frank Miller's style

Wasn't that issue of Plastic Man just the best?

I need to dig out my issues and scan that page of Billy Batson's funeral procession.

Munch on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2009
    Can I say how much I can't stand Bizarro?

At least when he speaks. It's just annoying and it isn't ever as clever as the writers think. I wouldn't mind him if they took away his ability to talk, though.

Garlic Bread on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    New Avengers continues to suck. If it doesn't end with Osborn sticking a bomb inside
    Cages chest before they stitch him back up I will be sorely disappointed

Plus as before I am totaly against an arbitrary power disruptor which is apparently just set to anything not human regardless of the source of their power.

DarkWarrior on
  • ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    i liked how he kept the real Avengers in spirit, or at least Spider-Man, when Ares' axe got caught in the webs

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    What I gotta ask is: Why the hell are HAMMER troops using pumpkin bombs? Not bombs that act like pumpkin bombs, but orange, pumpkin-shaped bombs with jack-o-lantern grins on them.

You'd think that for someone who says he's no longer the Green Goblin, he'd want to avoid any association. Even if he has warehouses full of the damn things, you'd think he'd at least spray-paint them black or something. Heck, I can even understand why the HAMMER troops use gliders like the Green Goblin glider. But the pumpkin bombs...?!?

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    He told them all it was for Halloween.

Wildcat on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    They specifically asked to be issued pumpkin bombs.

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    "This? No, these are ... these are squash bombs. I've reformed!"

Lux on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Lux wrote: »

I was making a phone call as I read this, so the receptionist on the other end heard, "Hi, this is desc at ahahaha!"

Thanks, jerkbutt.

desc on
  • StaxeonStaxeon Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Lux wrote: »

"That green gas? Its ... uh ... basil. Yeah, rosemary and basil, with squash. What, Halloween's not the only fall holiday you jerks, now preheat the HAMMER convection ovens!"

Staxeon on
    Invisible nap is the best nap of all time!
    No man should have that kind of power.
    (Twitter)
  • 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Crap, now I want to go back in time and enter Green Gobblin' in the superpets contest.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
    edited October 2009
    Red Hulk continues to be the stupidest piece of shit Ive ever read. Thankfully it didnt cost me anything.

Someone needs to make a new thread soon, prfereably with the title "Bitching About Bad Comics Thread: Bitch Harder"

DarkWarrior on
    edited October 2009
    Ok someone please explain whats going on with the Punisher.
    Is he really being killed and brought back as an undead soldier? I mean...wtf?

DarkWarrior on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Yes.

Wildcat on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yes. Daken slaughtered him, dismembering him significantly. He's being rebuilt Deathlok-style (though I don't think we know if it will literally be the Deathlok-process). There is no clear indication that it will ever be reversed (and, considering the tech necessary, it seems unlikely in the near future).

mattharvest on
    edited October 2009
    Yes. Daken slaughtered him, dismembering him significantly. He's being rebuilt Deathlok-style (though I don't think we know if it will literally be the Deathlok-process). There is no clear indication that it will ever be reversed (and, considering the tech necessary, it seems unlikely in the near future).

que Mefisto

but seriously changing the status quo on an established character isn't necessarily bad. It just mostly becomes bad because the writers either can't agree on the new direction or they can't keep themselves motivated enough to keep on the same path.

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
    edited October 2009
    At least give his
    kill to someone good. Not fucking Daken.

DarkWarrior on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    At least give his

If you read the scene, it's surprisingly apropos.
    Basically, Daken talks about how insulting it is for him to be Frank's killer, for it to be anonymous and nameless. Moreover, frankly (hah) it makes sense that someone like Daken do it. It's absurd that Frank would be able to fight him down, given his powers, and it's equally absurd that Daken would hold back from outright murder.

mattharvest on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I finished Y: The Last Man last night. The book was so good all the way through, and the end was such a letdown.
    It just felt off. I honestly don't know how I would have ended it to make it more satisfactory, but the way Vaughn ended it felt rushed and didn't provide much closure.

I obviously was not expecting a happy ending between Yorrick and Beth, since he foreshadowed it quite a bit with the dreams that something was wrong there.

But I also don't like the fact that he "settled" for Beth2 and that they had an unhappy marriage and the only reason they stayed together was for the benefit of Beth3.

I also really hated the whole Alter thing. She chases Yorrick & co around the globe for nearly 5 years because she wants to be killed by a man? Lame.

Like I say, I don't know how I would have ended the series. I just know that I was not satisfied at all with the way that it did end.

Lucascraft on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    At least give his
    Of the Dark Avengers, I'd rather it be him than, say, Bullseye. Fuuuuck you, Lester.

Anyways, I have a small gripe in regards to deaths recently.
    These deaths that are with out a doubt even more impermanent than the average comic book death are starting to irritating me. Ms. Marvel and X-Force were more annoying with it (There was no way Carol was staying dead, and pretty much everyone predicted that their would be time travel hijinks with Boom Boom), and now the Guardians have lost almost half their number (Including COSMO!).

I guess if it's as real as the story acts like it is, then for GoG the bitching is unwarrented. I mean, there should be casualties when a small team like that is taking on Magis, but if they're brought back three issues from now I'll be a little irritated.

And, if they are permanent, god damn it why is Cosmo dead noooooooo. But that's less bitching and more grieving for the coolest Russian telepathic space dog ever. :(

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
    edited October 2009
    At least give his

If you read the scene, it's surprisingly apropos.
    Basically, Daken talks about how insulting it is for him to be Frank's killer, for it to be anonymous and nameless. Moreover, frankly (hah) it makes sense that someone like Daken do it. It's absurd that Frank would be able to fight him down, given his powers, and it's equally absurd that Daken would hold back from outright murder.
    Punishers certainly older but hes been killing people before Daken was born and dealt with Wolverine a few times to. As far as Im aware theres nothing special about Wolverine or Daken physically apart from the healing, theyre just in phenomenal shape and Wolverine being very strong because hes carrying around Adamantium bones.

DarkWarrior on
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2009
    I look forward to someone like Ennis shrugging off the new cyborg Frank in a few years time as easily as he shrugged off the angelic Frank at the beginning of his maxiseries run. Maybe it'll be great, but after the incredible work done in the MAX series, robot-Frank seems like a retarded idea.

Bogart on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Does Daken have Adamantium?

Fencingsax on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    He's got magic claws that turn off healing factors, but no adamantium.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited October 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »

No, Im pretty sure he just has the Muramasa Blade on his forearms.

That affect all healing but his own.

DarkWarrior on
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Go go ignore man behind the curtain!

Seriously though, from what little I've read about him on wikipedia (and his stupid appearance in hulk) Dakan seems like a really fucking emo sociopath version of wolverine. oh yeah he also has mind control stink.

That combined with Red hulk has me semi convinced that marvel is determined to make stupid evil twisted versions of there heroes without ever bothering to use the characters they created back in the silver age who fulfilled the same role with none of the irritating stupidity.

Gaddez on
    edited October 2009
    Gaddez wrote: »

Go go ignore man behind the curtain!

Seriously though, from what little I've read about him on wikipedia (and his stupid appearance in hulk) Dakan seems like a really fucking emo sociopath version of wolverine. oh yeah he also has mind control stink.

That combined with Red hulk has me semi convinced that marvel is determined to make stupid evil twisted versions of there heroes without ever bothering to use the characters they created back in the silver age who fulfilled the same role with none of the irritating stupidity.

Wouldn't Dakens healing have kept him like 8 years old so far anyway? Hes a stupid character whose purpose I'm not quite sure of the reasoning behind. Hes been kind of interesting with his backstabbing in his own mini but things like the mood altering pheremones...its just like something was thrown in to make him slighty different than a taller, leaner Wolverine or X-whatever with a penis.

DarkWarrior on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I don't think a healing ability is going to prevent you from maturing into an adult.

august on
    edited October 2009
    august wrote: »
    I don't think a healing ability is going to prevent you from maturing into an adult.

I mean it retards Wolverines aging, hes like 150 or something.

DarkWarrior on
    edited October 2009
    Did you read what I posted or... ?

august on
    edited October 2009
    august wrote: »
    Did you read what I posted or... ?

Did I misread it? Whats the difference between aging and maturing into an adult?

DarkWarrior on
    edited October 2009
    Science?

The fact that biological and chemical process of become a fully adult human being is fundamentally different than the decay of cells and eventual death?

august on
    edited October 2009
    Not to mention most mutant powers don't manifest until pubescence.

august on
    edited October 2009
    combining real science and comic science is what will make the world truly go forward.

But yeah, the mutant gene goes active around puberty, so even if you ignore human biology, Daken could still be a tall buff 15 year old

which would explain most of Wolverine Origins

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hes a stupid character whose purpose I'm not quite sure of the reasoning behind.

My guess is that the little SOB was put in because the death of wolverines ongoing equal and oposite (sabretooth) was already planned and the designers were all "hey we're gonna need a replacement. lets custom build a character to fight wolverine! and make him Bi, since the kids are so damm keen on those gays!"

Gaddez on
    edited October 2009
    and we shall give him tattoos and his third claw will come out from under his wrists

HE SHALL HAVE A MOHAWK AND THE ABILITY TO SEDUCE WOMEN OR SOMETHING

BLACK BONES MEANS MAYBE THEY DON'T BREAK AS EASY MAYBE

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I don't think Daken would have stopped growing when he got his healing ability. It would only stop aging when his body started to break down, so he would grow normally until his natural body 'peak' and then it would stop the aging process.

So basically, you could split a human body's lifespan into two parts, Maturing and Aging. Maturing would be when the body is growing into it's adult state, Aging would be the body breaking down and eventually dying.
    The healing ability would slow down the switch between the two, therefore freezing the body in it's prime. Which is exactly how Daken is portrayed.

Sharp101 on
This discussion has been closed.