As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stalking Just Got Easier! [Google Latitude]

ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster ApocalypseThe Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
edited October 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
So, have we gone too far?

Google Latitude

Google Latitude allows you to share your location with friends and view their locations on a map.

Latitude is completely opt-in, so you must enable it before you can start sharing location and can disable it at any time.

With Latitude, you can also:

- Share your location and status updates with the friends you choose
- See on a map where your friends are and what they're up to
- Quickly contact them with text message, instant message, or phone call
- Control how much or how little location info you want to share with whomever you choose.

Now, I know forfeiting your privacy is all the rage with the kids these days, but this seems like it may even be too much for the most avid "I'm currently taking a poop LOL" Twitter users.

I understand they have security features and such, but I just don't get it. I don't get why anyone would possibly want this beyond, perhaps, a parent who has given their child a cell phone.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
Chanus on

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Google Latitude allows you to share your location with friends
    can disable it at any time.
    Control how much or how little location info you want to share with whomever you choose.
    Chanus wrote:
    Now, I know forfeiting your privacy is all the rage with the kids these days, but this seems like it may even be too much for the most avid "I'm currently taking a poop LOL" Twitter users.

Yes, it sounds horrifying. The people in 1984 had more freedom and privacy than we do now.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm not saying "ZOMG YOU'RE ON THE GRID" or anything... it just seems like a really stupid idea.

Chanus on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Privacy isn't being killed, it's committing suicide.

Henroid on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    Privacy isn't being killed, it's committing suicide.

Yeah, this is more the way I see it.

Chanus on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Could this conceivably get me out of explaining directions to stupid friends? If so, sign me the fuck up.

dumbshit that wants directions: "Hey I'm lost"

me: "'Well, I'm here, 'tude it brah"
    *deebaser gets back to whatever*

Deebaser on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    It's letting your friends know where you are. And you have the option to sign up or not, and the option to disable it later if you change your mind. It's basically the 21st Century equivalent of your friends calling you on the phone and asking where you are. With the newly added option of telling them to fuck off and hang up without looking rude and offending them.

You guys are being drama queens. This is not a privacy issue by any stretch of the imagination.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Cool idea. Wouldn't work for me. Basically it'd list me in like three places and pretty much nowhere else (home/office, girlfriend's place and the grocery store).

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    iglidanteiglidante Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, I don't move around too much. I'd either be at work, in my apartment, or maybe in the car on an errand.

iglidante on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    All I said was I think it's stupid. You're the one getting all worked up about it. :P

I feel cell phones are invasive enough, combined with all the shit I get from people for not answering when I don't want to... this just seems like another step in that direction.

It's absolutely a privacy issue... I think the problem is you think I'm saying it's some sort of governmentally enforced privacy issue or something.

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Gyral wrote: »
    Cool idea. Wouldn't work for me. Basically it'd list me in like three places and pretty much nowhere else (home/office, girlfriend's place and the grocery store).

The only logical interpretation here is that either you live at your office, or your girlfriend lives in a grocery store.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Drama is a good word to describe what this will lead to. "Who the fuck told Frank we were meeting here?" "Oh shit, sorry guys, left my Google on."

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Richy wrote: »

The only logical interpretation here is that either you live at your office, or your girlfriend lives in a grocery store.

Produce are people too!

Chanus on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Telecommute/work from home. But the second might also be true. I've never seen someone have such a storage of groceries on hand at any time.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Chanus wrote: »
    It's absolutely a privacy issue... I think the problem is you think I'm saying it's some sort of governmentally enforced privacy issue or something.

No it's not. It becomes a privacy issue if someone collect personal information on you that you do not want to share. You choose to sign up and give your location, and you can choose to stop at any time. No one is collecting any information against your will.

It would be a privacy issue if Google automatically registered everyone to this thing and made the information public. They're not - they're letting everyone decide if they want to sign up or not, and letting them decide what is shared with whom.

Like I said, it's as much a privacy issue as your friends calling you on the phone and asking where you are.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009

No it's not. It becomes a privacy issue if someone collect personal information on you that you do not want to share. You choose to sign up and give your location, and you can choose to stop at any time. No one is collecting any information against your will.

It would be a privacy issue if Google automatically registered everyone to this thing and made the information public. They're not - they're letting everyone decide if they want to sign up or not, and letting them decide what is shared with whom.

Like I said, it's as much a privacy issue as your friends calling you on the phone and asking where you are.

You're either just completely misunderstanding what I'm saying or you're willfully misunderstanding what I'm saying for the point of argument.

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    You choose to sign up and give your location, and you can choose to stop at any time.

I think people (I know I can speak for myself) know this; my commentary is based on people out there - in the world, right now - who use tools like this or Facebook, and then turn around and bitch about privacy being dead or some such.

Henroid on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You choose to sign up and give your location, and you can choose to stop at any time.

I think people (I know I can speak for myself) know this; my commentary is based on people out there - in the world, right now - who use tools like this or Facebook, and then turn around and bitch about privacy being dead or some such.

That isn't hypocritical. Freely giving away information about yourself and your private life is different from having to give it.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

You're either just completely misunderstanding what I'm saying or you're willfully misunderstanding what I'm saying for the point of argument.

O_o I'm going to go with "completely misunderstanding", then. Why don't you explain to me where you see a privacy issue? Maybe that'll help clarify things.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    O_o I'm going to go with "completely misunderstanding", then. Why don't you explain to me where you see a privacy issue? Maybe that'll help clarify things.

It's more of a "What the hell is the matter with kids today?" complaint than an "OMG Google is invading my bedroom!" complaint.

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

It's more of a "What the hell is the matter with kids today?" complaint than an "OMG Google is invading my bedroom!" complaint.

I'm still not seeing your point, sorry. What's the matter with Google Latitude?

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Couscous wrote: »

That isn't hypocritical. Freely giving away information about yourself and your private life is different from having to give it.

Shouldn't you tell them that, then?

Henroid on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Boost or Amp'd mobile did something like this on their phones a few years ago, before they went out of business. And XKCD did a comic on it a few months ago, too.

latitude.png

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Nothing is wrong with Google Latitude, I question the people who would use it.

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Boost or Amp'd mobile did something like this on their phones a few years ago, before they went out of business. And XKCD did a comic on it a few months ago, too.

latitude.png

I remember that.

Henroid on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

The same people who twitter everything, or update their facebook status constantly.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009

The same people who twitter everything, or update their facebook status constantly.

Precisely. It's not the product's fault these people have no sane understanding of privacy.

Chanus on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Precisely. It's not the product's fault these people have no sane understanding of privacy.

But but if I don't share my location with Google Latitude while I update my Twitter feed with pictures from Facebook how will I get more friends, followers, and ePeen?

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited October 2009

But but if I don't share my location with Google Latitude while I update my Twitter feed with pictures from Facebook how will I get more friends, followers, and ePeen?

l2pNoob :p

Chanus on
  • Options
    clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yea, and I remember plenty of people making cheap versions of a lowjack for their cars using a Boost phone with that feature enabled and sticking the phone under the seat or something. I see that solution is back once again.

I see no problem with this. I see no problem with people who will use this. I can see people overusing it, but theres no reason to generalize all users into overusers.

clsCorwin on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2009
    All of my friends can already pretty much figure out where I am. If it's 8-5 on a weekday, I am at work. (Well, normally.) If it's not that time period, I'm probably at home. If I'm not at home, I'm probably somewhere without access to a computer on which I can post my current whereabouts.

I see this is not much different from those teenagers who are compelled to call all of their friends every five minutes to report their whereabouts.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So, basically... you could use this app to track your movements and let you know how big a no-life loser you actually are...

Jesus Christ, this is bordering on assisted suicide.

GungHo on