As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wheel of Time: Towers of Midnight

Lady EriLady Eri Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
I am only halfway done, but I feel like Brandon Sanderson has done more in the chapters I have read then Robert Jordan has done in six books. Only one sniff! Amazing. It doesn't feel exactly like Robert Jordan, but he manages to capture most of the essence while finishing off loose ends.

So far I am very satisfied with this book, and I hope I get the Moiraine Rand meeting payoff I have been waiting for since book six.

Lady Eri on

• Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I need to pick this up.

Except I just started Song of Ice and Fire, again.

So, Sanderson is doing a good job?

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    DisenchanterDisenchanter Magnolia, DERegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    friend and I went out the day it came out, and he is done with it and I am abou half way through. Only part either of us has noticed doesn't quite sound like RJ is the prolgue other than that, the book moves to fast to notice anything else.

Disenchanter on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It's been so long since I've read them I'd have no idea what's going on or who the minor characters were.

I don't remember CoT or KoD at all.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I like to hear that Sanderson is doing a good job. I might read the entire series once he is done (definitely not before). I stopped reading a couple of books ago out of disgust that the plot wasn't moving at all.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So is there an Abridged WoT version that I can read before I tackle the last three books? I mean, I would hate to relearn why I hated the series to begin with.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    DiscoGobboDiscoGobbo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So is there an Abridged WoT version that I can read before I tackle the last three books? I mean, I would hate to relearn why I hated the series to begin with.

http://www.encyclopaedia-wot.org/
    Ultra-condensed summaries of every chapter of every book with handy hyperlinks for the 6 billion characters and locations.

I still really like WoT, and even I recommend reading that site instead of Book 10.

DiscoGobbo on
    PSN ID : DiscoGobbo.
    Warrior | Mage
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    DiscoGobbo wrote: »

http://www.encyclopaedia-wot.org/
    Ultra-condensed summaries of every chapter of every book with handy hyperlinks for the 6 billion characters and locations.

I still really like WoT, and even I recommend reading that site instead of Book 10.

That's the attraction. Jordan was such a superb "world-creator" that I was always happy to gloss over the bad plot issues to learn more about the world and mythology.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So I went to the library yesterday to look around and what do I see? This book. I had no idea it was even coming out around this time.

Now, I really do like this series, but like most people I'll agree that a lot of it just drags along so slowly it's a bit hard to read sometimes. But, having invested so much time in actually reading all the books, I just have to finish it and know what happens and all that jazz. I've only read part of the prologue, but it seem pretty decently paced so far.

I was quite saddened when I learned that Robert Jordan passed, but when I learned that Brandon Sanderson was going to finish writing the last book (well...three books) I was quite overjoyed, as I liked his Mistborn trilogy a great deal, and also liked his new book a lot. Haven't quite gotten around to reading Elantris yet though.

Schide on
  • Options
    SparserLogicSparserLogic Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm going to go on record as saying I only partially dislike how slowly the plot moves, even in the later books.

My reasoning? I enjoy the simple act of reading. I have plenty of spare time in the evenings while my wife does her arts and crafts hobbies and I don't mind reading endless amounts.

Simply put, more is better for me as I just get to spend more time reading.

So the last book is going to be three books? Wow. That's amazing, I had completely written this off as being too weird to read but I will have to read it if he's taking the time to write three.

My mindset for this is going to be like Star Wars I, II and II. I didn't really expect them and will give them a chance, but if they are horrible I will simply fall back on RJ's original work.

SparserLogic on
  • Options
    galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm reading this right now, little past halfway done.

Sanderson's really doing a hell of a job. I didn't know how anyone could really tie an ending on the story, but he's doing it, and doing it well. I can somewhat tell the parts that are RJ's and the parts that are Sanderson's, they blend really well.

And the plot moves. It's creaking a bit, but it's moving. Sometimes in leaps. It's turning out to be an entertaining read. And thank God. I've been reading these since Lord of Chaos, so roughly 15 years. Glad to see there's an ending coming.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Can't find book 12, but here's book 9 and book 10

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    galenblade wrote: »
    I'm reading this right now, little past halfway done.

Sanderson's really doing a hell of a job. I didn't know how anyone could really tie an ending on the story, but he's doing it, and doing it well. I can somewhat tell the parts that are RJ's and the parts that are Sanderson's, they blend really well.

And the plot moves. It's creaking a bit, but it's moving. Sometimes in leaps. It's turning out to be an entertaining read. And thank God. I've been reading these since Lord of Chaos, so roughly 15 years. Glad to see there's an ending coming.

I am not sure how to think on how the Egwene parts are progressing, but again, any progress is better then no progress.

Lady Eri on
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I stopped reading after book 7. If I just pick up book 12 now, will I feel like I've missed anything in between?

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Bliss 101 wrote: »
    I stopped reading after book 7. If I just pick up book 12 now, will I feel like I've missed anything in between?

Nothing a short summary wouldn't take care of.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    Josiah_9Josiah_9 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I was just at the book store to kill some time and spotted this, I had no idea it was out. I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend.

Josiah_9 on
    Saturate.jpg
  • Options
    JimmyhatesyouJimmyhatesyou Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I picked this up Thursday night, finished it quickly and am doing a re-read now.

I'm happy to not be disappointed with this book. Sanderson could have done so much worse with the material. The characters sound like they should most of the time and the brevity is a very welcome change. He seems to understand that we don't need to read that the Seanchan have a slow, slurred manner of speech every time one of them opened their mouths, the lack of repetition makes it that much faster to get to the next awesome event.

If anything, I wish that certain characters/events would have received more attention in this book, they even mention the resolution to a story arch at the end of the book that we don't get to see, save for a quick vision that left me thinking I had missed a chapter somewhere.

All the same, this was a great book. It shows that the end of the series is in good hands, and is heading in the right direction with a minimal smoothing of skirts.

Jimmyhatesyou on
  • Options
    SloSlo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    He's defnitly cutting away loose ends, I mean, jesus
    Masema dying like that? What the fuck was the whole point of the prophet storyline than? I just KNOW that there was something else there, but I understand that Sanderson had to cut down and finish off all these dangling threads

Slo on
  • Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Slo wrote: »
    Masema dying like that? What the fuck was the whole point of the prophet storyline than? I just KNOW that there was something else there, but I understand that Sanderson had to cut down and finish off all these dangling threads
    Rand has been doing everything he can to unite the North/East and the West/South, he needed to do something about Masema. Because of his huge following he could not just kill him without touching off a huge cluster fuck. So he sends Perrin to get him, and bring him away from his power structure. Masemas had power only so long as he stayed the hell away from Rand. Much like with the two competing Aes Sedai in Egwenes camp. The one was using Egwenes name constantly, claiming her authority, and as long as Egwene remained in the white tower she had power. They explained the gamble of it, that as soon as Egwene returned her only hope to maintain power was to tie herself to her.

Masema had lost most of his followers, he was down to I think under 100 if I remember right. He was planning to recruit more and once again be the colossal problem he had before. Maybe there was something else there, but it was the perfect time for someone to kill him.

Detharin on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Detharin wrote: »
    Rand has been doing everything he can to unite the North/East and the West/South, he needed to do something about Masema. Because of his huge following he could not just kill him without touching off a huge cluster fuck. So he sends Perrin to get him, and bring him away from his power structure. Masemas had power only so long as he stayed the hell away from Rand. Much like with the two competing Aes Sedai in Egwenes camp. The one was using Egwenes name constantly, claiming her authority, and as long as Egwene remained in the white tower she had power. They explained the gamble of it, that as soon as Egwene returned her only hope to maintain power was to tie herself to her.

Masema had lost most of his followers, he was down to I think under 100 if I remember right. He was planning to recruit more and once again be the colossal problem he had before. Maybe there was something else there, but it was the perfect time for someone to kill him.
    While I have yet to pick this up, this sounds like a GRRM move. Killing a character without much weight was never something that RJ would be able to accomplish. I think we'll see a really worthwhile Last Battle as from all reports, Sanderson is cutting down on the number of storylines necessary for a clean resolution. I mean, let's be honest: RJ's biggest issue was his ridiculous attachment to storylines. Perrin running around like a moron post-battle of Two Rivers was very, very frustrating. But again, this was supposed to be a trilogy, and even Sanderson has to write three more books.

I recall very clearly being about 17 and remarking to a friend that we'd have graduated from college before the series ended. That happened two years ago, and there are still two more books to come.

Makes me want to play the godawful WoT d20.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Knowing Sanderson, the series will be finished by the end of next year. The guy is crazy prolific. Like, he has somewhere around ten novels he's written that he hasn't published. This in addition to the nine he's already published and a few others underway.

He's 33.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Detharin wrote: »

While I have yet to pick this up, this sounds like a GRRM move. Killing a character without much weight was never something that RJ would be able to accomplish. I think we'll see a really worthwhile Last Battle as from all reports, Sanderson is cutting down on the number of storylines necessary for a clean resolution. I mean, let's be honest: RJ's biggest issue was his ridiculous attachment to storylines. Perrin running around like a moron post-battle of Two Rivers was very, very frustrating. But again, this was supposed to be a trilogy, and even Sanderson has to write three more books.
    Actually it fits right in with other points where RJ just suddenly kills off a character. Like when Asmodeon got taken out, or where the women were poisoned. I think its in the prologue, and if i remember right alot of the prologue was already finished by RJ premortem so it would make sense.

I tore through it Wednesday, was a very enjoyable read. The writing was well done, and I did not find any of the characters acting in any odd ways. Damn good book, i look forward to the final 2.

Detharin on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well, if I was writing the book I might just open it with...

"And then Rand woke up, he realized that everything which had happened since book 7 had been a dream and resolved to never speak of it again"

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Well, if I was writing the book I might just open it with...

"And then Rand woke up, he realized that everything which had happened since book 7 had been a dream and resolved to never speak of it again"

I would have Rand abducted by aliens Life of Brian style.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    So I finished this last night.

Spoiler-free, this was pretty goddamn good. Didn't like all of it, but what it did right made it well worth it. Sanderson really has eliminated most of the doubts in my mind about his ability to carry the torch. Nothing really seemed out of place, and the plot actually drew me in and kept me engaged for the duration.

Spoilers for the entire book, be warned:
    Rand's reunion with Tam had me tearing up. I didn't see it coming, and the tension of that scene was palpable. My heart really went out to Rand like it hadn't before. He knew what he had lost, we knew what he had lost, and that he was almost gone. His reaction to that, and his epiphany on Dragonmount were excellently written.

Graendal went out like a bitch. I hate to say it, but it was a pretty ignominious end, even for one of the Forsaken. I was hoping for a little more than a "nuke it from orbit" ending, especially in the face of how Semirhage went out. And yes, I'm assuming she's gone for good, despite theories going around.

Egwene's chapters were pretty good, though it stretched my suspension of disbelief at times. Good to see that plotline (mostly) wrapped, and wrapped in exciting fashion. Maybe now we can move on to more interesting things.

The intro to the first Mat chapter had me rolling. I can't think of a more perfect way to encapsulate Mat's observations on the female gender than that opening dialogue.

Verin's reveal was a headsmack moment. Her nature was obvious given all the foreshadowing. And I like the fact that she outwitted even those who bound her, her last act redeeming pretty much everything she ever did. I was a bit misty when she died.

I'm actually looking forward to the next book, and I can't recall the last time I felt that.

EDIT: Fuck, sorry about that, didn't check my tags.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Also done with Book 12:
    Still no Moiraine return payoff, but I can be patient. Surprised how many Black Ajah there were, 200+!

Lady Eri on
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I gotta say I really enjoyed the book as well. I blazed through it on the 27th and read it again yesterday.
    I was a bit disappointed with the Perrin and Mat scenes. Perrin's were almost useless, I wished he'd showed the Morgase reveal instead of the wagon scene or something to move his plot a bit faster.

Mat was good, I enjoyed his backstories and interaction with Talmanes (Even if Talmanes had a near personality transplant) but I wish it ended with his arrival in Camelyn.

Rand's final chapter though is what sold the book for me. I absolutely loved it.

Z0re on
  • Options
    taerictaeric Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    galenblade wrote: »
    So I finished this last night.

Spoiler-free, this was pretty goddamn good. Didn't like all of it, but what it did right made it well worth it. Sanderson really has eliminated most of the doubts in my mind about his ability to carry the torch. Nothing really seemed out of place, and the plot actually drew me in and kept me engaged for the duration.

Spoilers for the entire book, be warned:
    Rand's reunion with Tam had me tearing up. I didn't see it coming, and the tension of that scene was palpable. My heart really went out to Rand like it hadn't before. He knew what he had lost, we knew what he had lost, and that he was almost gone. His reaction to that, and his epiphany on Dragonmount were excellently written.

Graendal went out like a bitch. I hate to say it, but it was a pretty ignominious end, even for one of the Forsaken. I was hoping for a little more than a "nuke it from orbit" ending, especially in the face of how Semirhage went out. And yes, I'm assuming she's gone for good, despite theories going around.

Egwene's chapters were pretty good, though it stretched my suspension of disbelief at times. Good to see that plotline (mostly) wrapped, and wrapped in exciting fashion. Maybe now we can move on to more interesting things.

The intro to the first Mat chapter had me rolling. I can't think of a more perfect way to encapsulate Mat's observations on the female gender than that opening dialogue.

Verin's reveal was a headsmack moment. Her nature was obvious given all the foreshadowing. And I like the fact that she outwitted even those who bound her, her last act redeeming pretty much everything she ever did. I was a bit misty when she died.

I'm actually looking forward to the next book, and I can't recall the last time I felt that.

EDIT: Fuck, sorry about that, didn't check my tags.

I gotta say that
    The Verin reveal is perhaps one of my favorite scenes in this series now. I do admit that I kept hoping that she would somehow pull through. I'm very interested in what is in that note she left Mat, now.

A lot of the scenes with Rand were tough. Good lord that guy has gone through some shit. Strangling Min was just fucking wrong. I did like the scene with him and Moridin, though.

It was incredibly awesome to see Tam stand up to Cadsuane on his behalf.

taeric on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Picked up Eye of the World again last night...

6 months and I'll be able to open those spoilers :-(

SparserLogic on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

It used to take me 6 months to get through 1-6, back in the day.

Then I read 1-6, 1-8 and 1-9.

Now I just read the spoilers.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009

It used to take me 6 months to get through 1-6, back in the day.

Then I read 1-6, 1-8 and 1-9.

Now I just read the spoilers.

Yeah... I barely get the time to read that I wish these days.

Full time job + wife requiring full time attention + very long books = 6 months to burn through all 11.

I just don't want ANY plot point going over my head when I finally finish this damn series.

SparserLogic on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It took me three months to listen to all of it.

But in my line of work I can listen to it while working, so...

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I hate to say it, but I think the series improved with the death of the old author.

Lady Eri on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Lady Eri wrote: »
    I hate to say it, but I think the series improved with the death of the old author.

I dunno. Knife of Dreams was definitely at least a smaller return to form. I think Jordan realized that he had to end things, and then worked actively to do so.

Granted, Sanderson's picking that up a bit more dramatically, but I think RJ would've gotten there.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Anyone listen to the audio book? Any good?

Disco11 on
    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited November 2009
    Finished it last night. You can definitely tell it's a different author, but mostly in good ways. Some excellent and satisfying resolutions to a number of plot lines, including some that had dragged on for far too long.
    Fantastic to see the endless "how crazy is Rand going to get" thing resolved, and it made for a good climax for the book. And although it wasn't the most important, my favorite plot line resolution was Verin's. Short, but very nicely done. Sanderson is hand's down a more emotionally evocative writer than Jordan.

Tiger Burning on
    Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Can I just read the stuff by the new author? I got so sick of Jordan around (gasp) book six.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    itchyeyesitchyeyes Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've never read any of the WOT books. From what I understand, the first 3 are great but after that they get pretty tedious. Impressions of book 12 seem to be pretty positive everywhere I look, and I've enjoyed other Sanderson books in the past, in particular The Final Empire. So here's my question. Is it worth slogging through the 8 books in the middle of this series in order to get the experience of the books at the beginning and end?

itchyeyes on
    Itchyeyes55.gif
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    itchyeyes wrote: »
    I've never read any of the WOT books. From what I understand, the first 3 are great but after that they get pretty tedious. Impressions of book 12 seem to be pretty positive everywhere I look, and I've enjoyed other Sanderson books in the past, in particular The Final Empire. So here's my question. Is it worth slogging through the 8 books in the middle of this series in order to get the experience of the books at the beginning and end?

I'd wait until the series is finished to be able to get the whole picture, at this point. The last two are supposed to come out in the next two years.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    hottoqhottoq Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wow, I saw this at the bookstore and actually laughed out loud the cover artwork was so bad. I mean, it's always been pretty bad, but I'd forgotten...

hottoq on