As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dude, you should totally watch this when you're high. [Drugs Enhancing Art]

• Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Rohan wrote: »
    Smoking some good quality weed and watching David Lynch's Dune is an experience. That's all I have to say.

That is my most hated movie of all time, fuck that shit.

Donnie Darko I think would be a good movie to watch high, although honestly I feel like I'm too old for it now.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Page- wrote: »
    So, if you can already get yourself in the right mood for enjoying whatever, the drugs are superfluous?

I'm still sort of wondering whether or not I'm actually missing out.

If someone needs to get high before they can enjoy John Cage and I can enjoy John Cage without getting high, then I shouldn't need to get high. But if getting high and then listening to John Cage actually changes what you hear or experience in a way I would never get sober then I am missing something. Maybe it's not important, but it's still something.

Think about this: You can enjoy a sandwich without mustard.

An interesting way of putting it, but I think I get it.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I mean I guess you can't really understand skydiving unless you've been, and it could be an amazing, peak experience. But plenty of people are either uninterested or not comfortable with the risks, and nobody can really say whether they'd have been significantly happier having tried it.

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Page- wrote: »
    So, if you can already get yourself in the right mood for enjoying whatever, the drugs are superfluous?

I'm still sort of wondering whether or not I'm actually missing out.

If someone needs to get high before they can enjoy John Cage and I can enjoy John Cage without getting high, then I shouldn't need to get high. But if getting high and then listening to John Cage actually changes what you hear or experience in a way I would never get sober then I am missing something. Maybe it's not important, but it's still something.

If you're really that curious you could just try it. I don't think people in general need drugs to appreciate music or art in general. I think it helps me a great deal, but I also consider myself somewhat unusual in that regard. You have no way of knowing how you'll react to it until you try it.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    if you're wondering whether you're missing out not getting stoned, sitting back, closing your eyes, and listening to a really good song then the answer is yes

you are missing out

drugs alter your perception, your thinking, and your reality. it is really impossible to describe the effect. They're not for every one and I would only recommend the safer ones. but man.

talk about transcendent.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've never much enjoyed the beat literature / poetry that was inspired by tripping and hating the man.

MrMister on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    MrMister wrote: »
    I've never much enjoyed the beat literature / poetry that was inspired by tripping and hating the man.
    That's because you are the man.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    QliphothQliphoth Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Straight out of Aldous Huxley's - The Doors of Perception:
    He could never, poor fellow, have seen a bunch of flowers shining with their own inner light and all but quivering under the pressure of the significance with which they were charged; could never have perceived that what rose and iris and carnation so intensely signified was nothing more, and nothing less, than what they were - a transience that was yet eternal life, a perpetual perishing that was at the same time pure Being, a bundle of minute, unique particulars in which, by some unspeakable and yet self-evident paradox, was to be seen the divine source of all existence.

Thats probably the best description I've seen of a psychedelic effect. Its practically impossible to describe their full impact on your mind. Marijuana of course isn't going to do nearly as much for you as the mescaline that Huxley is describing but it is going to alter your perception in different ways.

Qliphoth on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Are you talking about rap?

Robman on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Robman wrote: »

I'm talking about Beatnicks.

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Robman wrote: »

I think he means beat generation stuff, like beatniks. I can't quite tell if you're joking or not.\

edit: sigh, beat by a long time, I wasn't paying attention

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    Mad_Scientist_WorkingMad_Scientist_Working Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Qliphoth wrote: »
    He could never, poor fellow, have seen a bunch of flowers shining with their own inner light and all but quivering under the pressure of the significance with which they were charged; could never have perceived that what rose and iris and carnation so intensely signified was nothing more, and nothing less, than what they were - a transience that was yet eternal life, a perpetual perishing that was at the same time pure Being, a bundle of minute, unique particulars in which, by some unspeakable and yet self-evident paradox, was to be seen the divine source of all existence.

Thats probably the best description I've seen of a psychedelic effect. Its practically impossible to describe their full impact on your mind. Marijuana of course isn't going to do nearly as much for you as the mescaline that Huxley is describing but it is going to alter your perception in different ways.
    So the best description is a rambling paragraph of claptrap?

Mad_Scientist_Working on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Well it makes more sense when you read it high.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    no it doesn't, you're just high

weed is not a secret decoder ring

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    'Twas a joke that you'd need to be high to understand the quote that's supposed to explain what being high is like.

I've never personally been high or read Huxley.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sorry if it's been mentioned, but my opinion on pot and the making of things seem better, is that the drug just makes you think about things in a different way. You aren't necessarily thinking more creatively or suddenly just understand the meaning behind something better, you just are thinking about the whole thing differently than you would sober. You make connections you wouldn't otherwise (or, miss some you would normally), and take a fresh look at what it is you are watching/ listening to.

That's why people think it is enhancing them in some way. It is just forcing them to analyze a bit different than they normally would.

As for alcohol, that's all pretty much herp derp woohoo. But c'mon. That's just fun.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    There's actually a pretty spirited debate among some parties about whether or not ganja limited the mind of Sagan, the patron saint of smart stoners.

Robman on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

Yeah, McKenna is kind of out there in a pseudo-scientific religious kind of way. You might have better luck with John Ott.

TL DR on
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I enjoy the ganga, and I like listening to music and watching movies while high. There are very few things I would tell people that they HAVE to be high to enjoy though...

well except a few games...

Katamari Damacy, I'm looking at you.

astrobstrd on
    Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    Mad_Scientist_WorkingMad_Scientist_Working Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    UEAKCrash wrote: »
    Sorry if it's been mentioned, but my opinion on pot and the making of things seem better, is that the drug just makes you think about things in a different way. You aren't necessarily thinking more creatively or suddenly just understand the meaning behind something better, you just are thinking about the whole thing differently than you would sober. You make connections you wouldn't otherwise (or, miss some you would normally), and take a fresh look at what it is you are watching/ listening to.
    I listen to songs involving decapitation and bananas. When I am sober I think to myself I'm fucking insane. When I am drunk I will still think to myself I'm fucking insane.

Mad_Scientist_Working on
  • Options
    civil_disobediencecivil_disobedience Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    donnie darko + psychadelic lol

civil_disobedience on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011

adytum on
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    adytum wrote: »
    There's a quote, it's from a movie or an interview, sounds like it's from the 60's- I think I heard it on a Steve Lawler album- that goes something like

"All those musicians and artists that have contributed so much to your life and well being over the years? Really fucking high."

I wish I knew where that was from- but it encapsulates so much of this conversation..

That's Bill Hicks. The whole routine is great, if a bit simplistic...

astrobstrd on
    Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    KingGrahamKingGraham Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    2001: A Space Odyssey had been my favorite movie for some years before I ever tried psychedelics. One day, I took a small amount of LSD and spent a lazy Sunday tripping. As the trip wore on, I remembered that people back in the olden days of the 70's used to watch 2001 while tripping. Why should the tradition die? And when is it ever a bad time to watch my favorite movie? Sometimes it just feels good to live a stereotype.

Holy shit.

I'll certainly never look at that movie the same way again.

KingGraham on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    adytum wrote: »
    There's a quote, it's from a movie or an interview, sounds like it's from the 60's- I think I heard it on a Steve Lawler album- that goes something like

"All those musicians and artists that have contributed so much to your life and well being over the years? Really fucking high."

I wish I knew where that was from- but it encapsulates so much of this conversation..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J10w3FuCwfQ

TL DR on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    YEAH it's Bill Hicks.

do wish he were still around.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    He has some funny routines, but I'm not much a fan of his style.

TL DR on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2009
    "Man, the Beatles were so high they let Ringo sing a couple."

I haven't listened to his stuff for a while. Maybe I'll dig them out.

Bogart on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    i have a few friends like this
    halfbaked4.jpg
    but overall weed just makes everything feel better.
    riding a bike when high is fucking amazing, and so is sex, listening to pink floyd and eating pb&j's
    it's not some amazing discovery, it's the nature of the drug

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It's not just that drugs are going to cause people to see things differently, but you have to look at the specific effects of the drug and the style of art. The viewer is, of course, going to be the variable in the equation, but when you back up to a broader cultural level, you see pretty obvious trends circulating between people, elements of their lives (in this case, drugs), and the art itself.

It's not as if everyone involved in hip hop smokes marijuana or that everyone who smokes listens to hip hop, but the listeners, their primary intoxicants, and the aesthetic tropes of the genre all feed into each other over time. There's no shortage of straightforward rock music which sounds blatantly like music for people who are sober or reasonably drunk. Radiohead was mentioned for the ominous weed cloud, and they are a band who seem to toy with normal rock tropes and more sound designey elements at the same time.

Marijuana affects most peoples' sense of time. When time seems to be moving not more slowly but to be moving in more discretely expanded 'ticks,' everything from your sense of musical tempo to the cinematic pacing of a movie is going to be affected. If someone takes mushrooms, certain kinds of filtered synthesizers are going to make one sensation crawl across your scalp, and a plucked guitar string will create a different one. Poets loved opium and absinthe because they thought the languorous murk was a terribly romantic door into dreams or the subconscious or what have you.

On the more subjective level, as everyone has already said -- it's very, very difficult to verbalize the sensations of being on different drugs, because the act of feeling those sensations is itself changed. There's "Mondrian," and then there's Mondrian on 2cb. There's a dancehall song on desktop speakers while you're sitting in the office, and there's dancehall coming from a wall of subwoofers in a dark room with thick air surrounded by people smoking pounds of reefer madness. When you are consistently experiencing the art in the same mind set, with the same habitual thoughts, in the same setting, it's tough not to take those for granted and that's where the "drugs make you notice things you wouldn't have" comes into play.

There's nothing intrinsically good or bad with attempting to absorb art in a pseudo-scientific, dispassionate, pretend sterile sort of way -- you're talking about the history of the art gallery there -- but there's also nothing inherently invalid about being willfully situated in your experience of it, and something like taking hallucinogens is going to color that.

desc on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Better Bill Hicks Drugs and Music vid. That routine was much better in it's younger version:
    And, if you've got a Hulu account, here's the Enhancement Smoker bit from Half Baked:
    http://www.hulu.com/watch/25043/half-baked-enhancement-smoker

*edit* They've also got the Creative Smoker up there, along with the Scavenger and the Should Have Been There. Really good movie.

Houn on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Smoking some good quality weed and watching David Lynch's Dune is an experience. That's all I have to say.

I am renting this movie this weekend

you better not have steered me wrong!

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    More on-topic, I'm with the Op. Never touched the stuff, though I've had plenty of chances. I will say, though, that drugs have enhanced my entertainment at parties, even though I wasn't the one taking them. Probably because I wasn't taking them. Oh man, so many laughs...

Houn on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    He has some funny routines, but I'm not much a fan of his style.

I'm more a fan of his style than most of his actual jokes. when I play him for other people I feel uncomfortable because there aren't a lot of laughs per se, but I like the dude a lot and his character shines through hard. could definitely see it as off putting.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Most drugs open up parts of the brain that you haven't used since the first time you ate a pickle and OH MY GOD IT'S LIKE HEAV-okay I'm over it.

Now, breathing in the faintest dregs of potsmoke while listening to a decent violin/piano piece, I have spontaneously orgasmed.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

I am renting this movie this weekend

you better not have steered me wrong!

Two words:
    cotton mouth

desc on
  • Options
    voodoosporkvoodoospork Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    *snip*

voodoospork on
  • Options
    LynxLynx Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Personal experience? Weed, specifically, just makes everything seem better. Of course, you're impaired (Which is the downside), but I enjoy pretty much everything more when smoking weed. I do not suggest doing anything of particular importance while under the effects of weed, though (Like going to work or driving, for example).

Alcohol, on the other hand, is different. I enjoy drinking in social situations only. It loosens me up (And that's just with a good buzz. Getting wasted is usually never a good idea). As for enhancing things, it usually doesn't.

Psychedelics are interesting to experiment with. They give you a whole new perception on things. This is a double-edged sword, though. Some things will be quite interesting and fun, while others may cause you to freak out. If you are to try these, go for the safer ones and make sure you are in a controlled environment. Also, make sure to clear your day.

As for the creative effect, personally, I've found I am no more creative when under the effect of weed or psychedelics than I am sober. And, actually, have found myself less creative while under the effects of alcohol.

Lynx on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Weed is pretty damn awesome, although I can't play FPS's while I'm stoned.

Tetris Attack, though? I'm a fucking deity at that shit while high. It must be the colors. I can get people to play me while sober, but while I'm high? No takers.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    HKPacman420HKPacman420 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I find marijuana seems to improve nearly everything - except reading. I am unable to enjoy reading novels or short stories while high, I usually read a page or two and give up to go play video games. So there's that.

Alcohol improves a few things and impairs others imo. With a mild drunk on I'm able to perform at high paced video games much better than usual (Geometry Wars on the 360, The Specialists Half-Life mod,etc.), sex is desensitized a bit (though that has it's upside), and the worst takeout imaginable suddenly becomes fine cuisine that you simply can't get enough of.On the other hand, I'm extremely more likely to say something stupid.

Magic Mushrooms are different. In an attempt to play Super Smash Bros Melee on shrooms, next to no actual playing was done. Two of my buddies put their controllers down after falling to their deaths, I was obsessed with staying alive to the point where I simply very slowly moved back and forth on a platform, and my other friend couldn't get over how FAT Ness is AND OMG HE JUST KEEPS GETTING FATTER AND FATTER WTF.Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon is simply amazing on mushrooms, as is nearly anything by Daft Punk.

HKPacman420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]