As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Bitching About Bad Comics Thread

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Kind of like the Viltrumites in Invincible. "The older we get, the slower we age!"

As a side note, I like Daken, partially because everyone seems cognizant of the fact that he's a bunch of lame cliches, but nonetheless seem determined to make him work within the Marvel U.

Munch on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, the healing process is going to slow his aging, but it's not going to stop it altogether. If Wolverine isn't stuck as an 8 year old, Daken isn't either. I agree that mixing comic science and real science is a bad idea, but Wolverine and Sabretooth have at least set a precedent for characters with healing factors that still age.

And Daken is still a lot older than he looks. In Dark Wolverine (or possibly Dark Avengers ? ) there is a scene where he reminds Osborn that he is older than everyone on team, except Ares.

Hensler on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Daken is Joe Quesada trying to push a character onto us that he made so it can live beyond his time as EiC. It's his Beyonder that never learned how to die and go away.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Everything is a Joe Quesada conspiracy!!!!!

I'm with Munch on this one. Daken is the convergance of several things that should suck, but kind of end up working as a whole. I've liked what I've read of him for the most part, he's a pretty fun villain to read.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Dark Wolverine has been good, and so has Dark Avengers. It's really just the Wolverine: Origins stories with him that have been really bad.

Hensler on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Dark Avengers has been awesome. But at the same time it can't go on for much longer. Part of the fun about it is watching everything slowly go to shit as a bunch of crazies/psychos try to work together for the king crazy/psycho and the realisation that this is all going to end in tears. If it kept on going for ages, as in, the team actually worked, then that would take away all the coolness. And nobody wants to take away the coolness.

Solar on
  • Options
    ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think the Hood and his group are going to take over Dark Avengers when Osborn's administration eventually falls

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm not sure what to think of the Hood and his merry men. One the one hand, having a bunch of villains co-ordinate themselves to be a serious threat to the heroes and actually pull off some significant crimes is cool. On the other, whenever Spider-Man (or whoever) is fighting some random villain, I'll always be thinking "why doesn't he just call up his buddies, and they all turn up and kick the fuck out of spidey? 'Cause they all hate him and would probably jump at the chance." It means that having one-on-one fights with villains will be rarer and thats a shame.

Solar on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So, I just realized somthing about the X-force Rulk crossover; it's got fucking punisher being hired as a mercenary by rulk. WTF is this? Since when does frank ~a pitiless psychopathic engine of justice~ take jobs from an obvious supervillain like red hulk? Wouldn't he have busted a cap in his ass?

Gaddez on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Gaddez wrote: »
    So, I just realized somthing about the X-force Rulk crossover; it's got fucking punisher being hired as a mercenary by rulk. WTF is this? Since when does frank ~a pitiless psychopathic engine of justice~ take jobs from an obvious supervillain like red hulk? Wouldn't he have busted a cap in his ass?

Loeb

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2009
    Dark Wolverine is a pretty fun book

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Loeb

I swear If I ever happen to be in the same room with him I'm gonna sit on his chest and throw punches into his face and with each blow name one of his truly atrocious acts afflicted to the marvel universe via his shitty writing.

I fully expect my hands to be smashed to pulp before the end.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    Daken is the convergance of several things that should suck, but kind of end up working as a whole. I've liked what I've read of him for the most part, he's a pretty fun villain to read.

I liked when he recently met Skaar.

"Tribal tats, funny hair, bad attitude.. you're kind of stealing my shtick, kid."

Munch on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

Loeb

I swear If I ever happen to be in the same room with him I'm gonna sit on his chest and throw punches into his face and with each blow name one of his truly atrocious acts afflicted to the marvel universe via his shitty writing.

Meh, his stuff is largely ignored (or can be ignored).

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Munch wrote: »
    Daken is the convergance of several things that should suck, but kind of end up working as a whole. I've liked what I've read of him for the most part, he's a pretty fun villain to read.

"Tribal tats, funny hair, bad attitude.. you're kind of stealing my shtick, kid."

Which is funny, since Skaar's people have been doing it since forever, while Daken's people have been doing it since the 1990s.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    143999 wrote: »

Which is funny, since Skaar's people have been doing it since forever, while Daken's people have been doing it since the 1990s.

I'm not sure what to say here. Are you under some sort of impression that Daken is most likely saying this out of a genuine belief and/or irritation that Skaar is stealing his "shtick"?

Because he's probably just saying it to be a flippant smart ass.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009

Loeb

Its hard to ignore the creation purposely of someone stronger than the Hulk, Thor, the Watcers who is able to drain the Hulk of the very source of his power.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »

I'm not sure what to say here. Are you under some sort of impression that Daken is most likely saying this out of a genuine belief and/or irritation that Skaar is stealing his "shtick"?

I was also unaware that tattoos were invented in the 1990s.

august on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    We wont go into two super healers who have tattoos.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    But this is the perfect thread for tattooed super heroes.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

Loeb

Its hard to ignore the creation purposely of someone stronger than the Hulk, Thor, the Watcers who is able to drain the Hulk of the very source of his power.

No, it's really easy to ignore it - the key is to not buy anything with Loeb's name on it, and to filter out any mention of Loeb-ness in non-Loeb books. How I'll pull this off with Parker's HULK WAR thingee, I have no idea.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    We need a hero with two mohawks, one on either side of his head, lean, tall, red, bleeds yellow and is covered in tatoos.

That are rad.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »

And I was doing the exact same thing.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    august wrote: »
    I was also unaware that tattoos were invented in the 1990s.

...you two seriously have no eye for nuance.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Since someone brought up Loeb, you know what book I think he needs to be put on?

Exiles.

Think about that shit. Every weird, crazy thing Loeb likes to do could, if directed towards Exiles, make an amazing comic. You just know his first arc would have, I dunno, Spider-Man Noir, Samurai Daredevil, Captain Native American, Doom 2099, and Thor: Herald of Galactus, all fighting like, Fin Fang Falactus.

And it would be awesome.

Munch on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Munch, this will be the first and only time I ever say this to you.

Fuck you! :x

Jeff Parker had a greaaaat book, putting Loeb on it would just make me sad. :P

(I still love you, though <3)

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    That is a Loeb book that I would actually buy. I don't think he would bug me nearly as much if he were writing outside of the main continuity (or the Ultimate one).

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Which artist would join him to cover up his terrible writing though?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Land.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Oh, that's worth it then. Two bad creators doing bad work on a book that doesn't matter.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'd love to see what Land would splice together to make Fin Fang Falactus.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    the Matthew Broderick Godzilla, more than likely.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Hey, I have much love for Parker's Exiles.

But let's face it, that book was always doomed for cancellation.

Now, stick Parker's team in a back-up feature of a Loeb-written Exiles book and boom, guaranteed adventures of quippy Black Panther and gay Beast for at least twelve issues.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »

Maybe just Matthew Broderick and Godzilla.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »

Maybe just Matthew Broderick and Godzilla.

They could have a dunk competition with charles barkley.

KVW on
  • Options
    DoctorstrongbadDoctorstrongbad Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Land needs to work on his stuff.

Charles Barkley needs to watch out for MechaJordan.

Doctorstrongbad on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Charles Barkely beat Godzilla at hoops. He fears nothing.

(Except Jay and Silent Bob.)

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Hey, I have much love for Parker's Exiles.

But let's face it, that book was always doomed for cancellation.

Now, stick Parker's team in a back-up feature of a Loeb-written Exiles book and boom, guaranteed adventures of quippy Black Panther and gay Beast for at least twelve issues.

I wish Judd Winick would return to Marvel. His Exiles run is one of my all-time favorites.

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    So Ms Marvel wrapped up the war of the marvels arc, and I really don't know what Marvel is trying to do with Karla. It could just be Reed being Reed and always overshooting things badly (he starts with something decent then always takes it off the rails), but come on, good Ms. Marvel talking to bad Ms. Marvel will create a change? All it needed was Carol going "Trust me, I'm an alcoholic" and Karla looking at a picture frame with her and Clint while listening to generic chick music (for this instance let's go with Leona Lewis).

TexiKen on
  • Options
    DoctorstrongbadDoctorstrongbad Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The Meeting of marvels in a marvel comic is interesting. If only they would of went to the intersection of marvel street and marvel lane. They need help promoting themselves.

Doctorstrongbad on
This discussion has been closed.