As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A Boy and his Blob: Now with 100% more hugs!

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    adytum wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    I never knew there was a sequel to the first game already.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rescue_of_Princess_Blobette

That's the one that scarred me forever.

Seriously. It starts, you go through a corridor of vaguely logical puzzles to get past machines. The it's a dead end. When you finally figure out that you can make a hole in the floor here you get to the ridiculously, complex, large, boring and hazard filled sewer maze! At that point you give up. Or would do if you hadn't died already.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Jragghen wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I'm not interested in the game so much as I'm interested in seeing this blob hugging. Is there video of it on youtube yet?

Video here

He's doing it! He's hugging the blob!

emnmnme on
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Evander wrote: »
    There IS still a feeling that maybe it is not worthy of being a full retail release. 2D platformers feel like they should be 10-20 dollar downloadable titles these days, not full retail packages.

Careful, talk like that will get you Parish's foot planted firmly in your groin if he hears it.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Seriously. It starts, you go through a corridor of vaguely logical puzzles to get past machines. The it's a dead end. When you finally figure out that you can make a hole in the floor here you get to the ridiculously, complex, large, boring and hazard filled sewer maze! At that point you give up. Or would do if you hadn't died already.

Doesn't look that complicated to me!

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

I was never able to beat the game. I remember I could get up to the princess and just stare at her. I think I played the game just to hear the theme song play over and over again though.

Shens on
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Toys 'R Us better hurry up and stock the game that's missing in my triumvirate of awesome so I can hurry up and play this.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    They had plenty of copies at the one I went to. I can't imagine the game, awesome as it is, selling out that quickly. What else are you planning to get, pray tell?

Grimthwacker on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    s_86 wrote: »

Truthfully, I just want to hug that blob. Every game henceforth should have a hug button.

That'd be a pretty awkward feature for the next God of War game.

emnmnme on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Hmmm, clearly my 9 year old brain was not up to the task.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited October 2009
    Just got this game, haven't played it very far yet but it is super great. Beautiful game, the animations have nice little flourishes you might not expect, like having an actual animation for when the boy hits his head on the ceiling instead of just stopping his movement. There are all kinds of small things I notice that help it feel like a more full featured design. Even the level decoration critters such as frogs are well-animated. You might think it's annoying with the boy yelling "BLOB" all the time, and perhaps it does get annoying later, but there are probably 20+ voice clips with different phrases and at different levels of urgency.

I kind of wish the blob had a mouth to show his emotions rather than changing colors which really doesn't help me much. If you tell him to stay put and then walk away he turns pinkish which I have no idea what it means.

So far it reminds me of Lost Vikings' puzzle platforming, obviously with only one person to worry about and with a bigger bag of tricks (though not so big yet, with just a couple beans). The balloon bean is pretty useless considering you can just call for him three times and he'll turn into a balloon anyway. I wish we had the ketchup beans (spawned him where you threw it).

Anyway, I like it! People should play it.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

Truthfully, I just want to hug that blob. Every game henceforth should have a hug button.

Especially for God of War -- motherfucker is all RAGGH RAGE AND ANGER cause he didn't get hugged enough. Dude needs to just chill and hug something instead of tearing off heads and limbs and shit.

Zxerol on
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

That'd be a pretty awesome feature for the next Army of Two game.

Jragghen on
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    My copy showed up today. I don't know when I'm going to be able to get around to playing it, but I have it, and they have my money, and that's the most important part.

Artereis on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Funnily enough, O was actually a hug button in one of the God of War games. Was it the original or Chains of Olympus? I forget, but there was a segment where you had to protect your family while fighting off demons. The humor of O being both "hug your family" and "tear the fucking wings off of that harpy" was never lost on me.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    edited October 2009
    This gets better as you go, the first boss fight isn't that difficult but is still pretty badass. If you played Zak and Wiki, it's like those bosses - since you aren't exactly a powerhouse, you solve a few puzzles to navigate the boss throughout the environment and eventually defeat him with the power of your mind.

Also holy crap, the first level of the second area is nostalgic. <3

UncleSporky on
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Lunker wrote: »

Funnily enough, O was actually a hug button in one of the God of War games. Was it the original or Chains of Olympus? I forget, but there was a segment where you had to protect your family while fighting off demons. The humor of O being both "hug your family" and "tear the fucking wings off of that harpy" was never lost on me.

It was the first game.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2009
    This gets better as you go, the first boss fight isn't that difficult but is still pretty badass. If you played Zak and Wiki, it's like those bosses - since you aren't exactly a powerhouse, you solve a few puzzles to navigate the boss throughout the environment and eventually defeat him with the power of your mind.

Also holy crap, the first level of the second area is nostalgic. <3
    Nostalgia overload! Hell yes, this is the greatest game ever!!! I will never get tired of hearing that tune.

Now that the gloves are off and the challenge is ramping up, I have to say this is one of the best Wii games I've played this year. WayForward made sure you have to use all your transformation abilities to their full extent, and for that, I salute them.

Grimthwacker on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Urge to buy at full price...rising...

RainbowDespair on
    edited October 2009
    Urge to buy at full price...rising...
    Do it. From what I've gleaned, the game is 40 stages long (4 worlds, 10 stages each), and the extra 10 challenge stages in each world bumps the total up to 80. You'll be getting a lot for your money.

And hugs. Hugs for all!

Grimthwacker on
  • IvandashsmithIvandashsmith Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Evander wrote: »
    As much as I love and desire this game, I have to wonder why they couldn't make it control like it used to: one button tosses a bean which the blob automatically eats, and one button snaps him out of it.

I guess you might need him to go up high for some reason. Just seems a little complicated as reviews have been saying.

I just came from playing this game, and you description sounds to me like how the game is played

what did you think was different?

If you play the original and play the new one, you'll notice they're different. First, selecting a bean is on a ring menu, locking you out of movement while choosing (from what I've seen). The original just cycled through with select. Obviously each has its advantages and disadvantages, but it's strange that the new game is the one that stops you from moving when it's much more action oriented and might require you to dodge things.

Second, you are immobile when throwing a bean. Same point as above. You have to mess with trajectory rather than being able to just tap a button and watch the blob do his stuff. And the point has been made in at least IGN's review that you have to press a button to call blob over and make him eat the jellybean rather than it being automatic as in the old game.

Look what you made me do, I wrote a big stupid explanatory thing when I just want to enjoy the game. Like I was saying, not a big deal!

EDIT: Ok I will save this post with a real life boy and his blob. Man and his blob. Whatever.

http://vimeo.com/5509560

I don't know if many people know, but you can just TAP the A button to drop a bean, no trajectory, and it behaves the same as the first game. You don't always HAVE to aim, but the aiming can be quick, and the accuracy is welcomed by me.

On your issue with the game pausing while picking a bean: this is a much more forgiving mechanic for an action game. Imagine if you were playing any other game where you had to enter your inventory and the gamme continued. I think someone told me the new Alone In the Dark does this, and a lot of people hated it. If Fallout 3 did this to me, I would be pissed.

Ivandashsmith on
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I just picked this up with Brutal Legend, and I started playing it almost immediately. It is fabulous. I'm glad to see this game is getting love on the forum because I can't imagine it seeling very well.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2009
    I just picked this up with Brutal Legend, and I started playing it almost immediately. It is fabulous. I'm glad to see this game is getting love on the forum because I can't imagine it seeling very well.
    I'm glad to see you're liking the game so much Love, and I really hope it does sell better than expected. Unfortunately that kind of thing happens with these lower profile titles; they sell by word-of-mouth and a dedicated fan base rather than pure hype. Just look at WayForward's own Shantae - most people missed out on it despite being a critical darling, but now that they've become a well-known developer they've been able to make the sequel(s) their fans have wanted for years now.

Hopefully folks like us can spread the word about A Boy and His Blob, that it's a great game anyone can enjoy, not just the nostalgic fans of the original. Hey, it's worked for Valkyria Chronicles so far - maybe we can start our own forum meme. Apologies to Rent, but we can make "Hug a Blob" into the next "Get a VC sig, you!"
    Not bloody likely, though.

Grimthwacker on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The only real negative of this game to me was the Blob's horrendous AI, he's unbelievably stupid when it comes to crossing gaps or maneuvering around obstacles, and it's a frequent issue in the later levels. It's really important that you know that calling him 3 times in a row will make him turn into balloon form automatically and return to you.

Zek on
    edited October 2009
    Get equipped with: NEW AVI/SIG COMBO!!!

I'll do my part to get the word out about this game. I mean come on, how else are we going to get people's attention? Free money? World Series tickets? Ellen Page in edible lingerie???

. . . Okay, that last one was wishful thinking on my part.:P

As far as Blob's tracking goes, it's been frustrating, sure, but not game-breaking. Like Zek said, three whistles will bring him back to your side with no problem, and if you need to keep him in one place just push down on the Control Pad.

Grimthwacker on
    edited October 2009
    I gave in and picked up this game today from Gamestop. It was just too cute! Sadly, I accidentally took both the game and the store's display copy so I need to head back and return the display copy now. I'll be sure to share my thoughts after I play it a bit.

RainbowDespair on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    A Boy and his Blob, is it turning your children into kleptomaniacs?
    More at 11.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    edited October 2009
    Played the game for about an hour tonight. The difficulty is ramping up a little slower than I'd like and there are a few minor annoyances like not being able to remap the controls and the hub world (which result in more downtime between levels than I would like), but overall it's been enjoyable so far & it looks like it'll just get better, the further I get in.

RainbowDespair on
    edited October 2009
    Played the game for about an hour tonight. The difficulty is ramping up a little slower than I'd like and there are a few minor annoyances like not being able to remap the controls and the hub world (which result in more downtime between levels than I would like), but overall it's been enjoyable so far & it looks like it'll just get better, the further I get in.
    Yeah, the first world is pretty much the tutorial; once you get to the boss, things start getting interesting. I'm near the end of world 2 right now; the puzzles are getting more complex (but very organic and intuitive), and the challenge stages require good reflexes and quick thinking. Just stick with it and you'll be rewarded.

Grimthwacker on
  • Taxman29Taxman29 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hey everybody. I'm glad you're all enjoying the game. I thought you would find this slightly amusing. It has been my wallpaper since April.
    Escape_from_Blobalonia_by_NickWoz.jpg

Taxman29 on
    edited October 2009
    Hard. Core. And also very H-scroll wrecking.

So far the World 3 challenge stages have been very tough - precision rocketeering, trampoline bouncing, parachuting . . . the second half is where the challenge really gets ramped up. I don't regret getting this for a second.

Grimthwacker on
  • OpiumOpium regular
    edited October 2009
    Hard. Core. And also very H-scroll wrecking.

That's your own fault for using a retarded browser.

Opium on
  • 12gauge12gauge Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Hmmm, clearly my 9 year old brain was not up to the task.

I beat it, but god - I think I never put into my gameboy again afterward.

12gauge on
    davidoc0.jpg
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I just ordered this game along with Muramasa through amazon. It'll be a 2D extravaganza.

SteevL on
    edited October 2009
    My 8-year old daughter & her friend just tried to play this game. They couldn't figure out the controls without my help, they got stuck on the first level, and after they figured things out, they almost immediately decided to play Wii Sports instead. Oh and they almost deleted my save while they were messing around. This game really should have gone for a more explicit interface (Tutorial + save slots).

This game is going to get murdered in sales, but at least they got one from me.

RainbowDespair on
    edited October 2009
    That's rather unfortunate to hear. I'd like to say that "It's all there in the manual", but based on this testimony an in-game tutorial system might have been a good idea for younger players. We also could have done without the "delete file" trash can, too; it's cute, but they really should have specified what it is. Ah, well, at least you're still enjoying the game, right?

Grimthwacker on
    edited October 2009
    Ah, well, at least you're still enjoying the game, right?

Yes, but I'm still a bit disappointed in the game even so. The slow pace is really bugging me. Like when you come across a puzzle, first you need to select the right jelly bean (and it seems like the jelly bean I want is always the last one I select), then you need to throw it, then you need to wait for your blob to eat it, then you need to call him to you when you're done - repeat, repeat, repeat. Then when you beat a level, you need to wait for it to load the hub stage, then you wait for your blob to spit out treasure chests, then you wait for it to reveal the new item, and then finally, you can go to the next stage (although if you want to go to a bonus stage, you also need to walk over to the appropriate place in the hub). Since the game really isn't designed for younger players despite its appearance (I'm only on the second world & there's no way my daughter would have gotten this far, even if the game had kept her attention, too many tricky puzzles & reflex moments), I really wish they had sped up the pace a bit.

The game is gorgeous and there's some good puzzles in here, but it's little things like this that keep the game from being merely a good game and not a must-buy or modern classic in my mind.

So the morale of my story: going from Splosion Man (i.e. Sonic on steroids) to Boy & his Blob might not have made for the smoothest transition.

RainbowDespair on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Taxman29 wrote: »
    Hey everybody. I'm glad you're all enjoying the game. I thought you would find this slightly amusing. It has been my wallpaper since April.
    [IMx]http://fc06.deviantart.com/fs50/f/2009/289/7/f/Escape_from_Blobalonia_by_NickWoz.jpg[/IMG]

Goes good with the hardcore cover art from earlier
    boyblobta.jpg

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I like those bullet holes. They're a nice touch.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • BrilliantInsanityBrilliantInsanity Charleston, WVRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    agoaj wrote: »
    Taxman29 wrote: »
    [IMx]http://fc06.deviantart.com/fs50/f/2009/289/7/f/Escape_from_Blobalonia_by_NickWoz.jpg[/IMG]

Goes good with the hardcore cover art from earlier
    boyblobta.jpg

That blob has bloobies. This disturbs me.

BrilliantInsanity on
    steam_sig.png

Sixty -40- on Origin for some ME3 goodness.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/brilliantinsanity/
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Picked this up over the weekend with birthday monies, played through the first world and its bonus levels (man, fuck those Mega Man Parachute stages). Agree with the slow pacing complaints and the bizarre lack of any tutorial. Yeah, the manual is only a dozen pages and the controls aren't complicated, but it just seemed weird, especially for younger gamers.

But you know what I find really inexcusable? There's no reference as to what the damned jellybean flavors are! That's half of the concept's charm, but instead of "punch = hole" I just get to select a red bean. I had no idea that the parachute was pear-flavored (for "pearachute", I guess) until I looked it up in the manual (it's one of seven-ish they mention).

Don't get me wrong; I'm enjoying the game so far, but those omissions seem jarring.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social