As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 10-28-09: all will be well

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Or she knows enough to know how she should act, which isn't the way she'd usually choose to act because it's cryptic and manipulative.

Being cryptic and manipulative doesn't really work in the long run unless you know what you're doing.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Or she knows enough to know how she should act, which isn't the way she'd usually choose to act because it's cryptic and manipulative.

Being cryptic and manipulative doesn't really work in the long run unless you know what you're doing.

It's worked for her so far!

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

Yeah, but she now has as much idea about what will happen as anyone else, so eventually she's going to screw up, and then she's either going to have to explain why she was wrong, and it will eventually come out exactly what she was doing.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Yeah, but she now has as much idea about what will happen as anyone else, so eventually she's going to screw up, and then she's either going to have to explain why she was wrong, and it will eventually come out exactly what she was doing.

Unless the only reason she acted the way she did was because she knew she had to, in which case she'll start acting normal now that the obligation to be mysterious has passed.

I'm pretty confident that this is what'll happen.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Has anyone thrown out the idea that the whole "um, I know stuff" thing is pretty much how a kid who wasn't trained in subterfuge from birth would react when placed in her situation, and that the smugness displayed when it actually worked is pretty much how a kid would act once that initial stumble wore off?

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    143999 wrote: »
    Has anyone thrown out the idea that the whole "um, I know stuff" thing is pretty much how a kid who wasn't trained in subterfuge from birth would react when placed in her situation, and that the smugness displayed when it actually worked is pretty much how a kid would act once that initial stumble wore off?

The problem is that she was in close proximity of Monet (and to a lesser extent, Frost), who would catch shit like that. Also, that generally works for kids, but adults aren't that stupid, especially X-Factor.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    X-Factor
    Until I saw young Layla Miller again, I hadn't realized how much I missed her. She was such a great character. I don't think the pay-off was worth not having her around for years. And now they have taken away her future vision, the source of her quirkiness.

She will be missed.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    X-Factor
    Until I saw young Layla Miller again, I hadn't realized how much I missed her. She was such a great character. I don't think the pay-off was worth not having her around for years. And now they have taken away her future vision, the source of her quirkiness.

She will be missed.
    This I can agree with.
    Valeria is not a suitable replacement. Jamie said it best. Darwin is only creeped out by Valeria because he wasn't there for Layla.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Valeria's only a cameo.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Blackjack wrote: »
    X-Factor

She will be missed.
    This I can agree with.
    Valeria is not a suitable replacement. Jamie said it best. Darwin is only creeped out by Valeria because he wasn't there for Layla.
    Wait, do we have young Layla at all? I thought that the point was that we now don't.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    X-Factor

She will be missed.
    This I can agree with.
    Wait, do we have young Layla at all? I thought that the point was that we now don't.
    We don't. That's what we're saying: we're going to miss young Layla.

Robos: I think I read somewhere that PAD is going to try to bring her back fairly often, if not make her a regular outright.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited October 2009
    Really? Man, Reed Richards is the worst parent ever.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Really? Man, Reed Richards is the worst parent ever.

He did do that one thing where he let the DHS pretend to take his kids away and then let the empty house where his kids were supposed to be get blown up. I guess that's good parenting?

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That's exactly what I was thinking, Robos.

Just have her hang out with X-Force and use her super genius to be a violent Amadeus Cho knock off.

"This shock tart, when thrown at my kozy koup, will generate enough force to kill those 10 purifiers over there"

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    That's exactly what I was thinking, Robos.

Just have her hang out with X-Force and use her super genius to be a violent Amadeus Cho knock off.

"This shock tart, when thrown at my kozy koup, will generate enough force to kill those 10 purifiers over there"
    X-Force and X-Factor are different things.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited October 2009
    I know, I was just taking it to its most logical conclusion.

Val could wear Garanimals in dark gray and black.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That's not really a logical conclusion at all.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The idea that Val would be a regular occurring character in X-Factor just doesn't click with me, even if it is Peter David writing it. De age Layla if you want a snarky little kid, or pull an Ultimate Tony and have Layla's sister appear out of nowhere.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    The idea that Val would be a regular occurring character in X-Factor just doesn't click with me, even if it is Peter David writing it. De age Layla if you want a snarky little kid, or pull an Ultimate Tony and have Layla's sister appear out of nowhere.

I had the same reaction to Darwin and Longshot as well, and I still sort of see them as ancillary characters. Shatterstar is cool, though.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Shatterstar is okay but only because he has actual connections to Rictor. I could take him or leave him.

Longshot and Darwin are dead weight and never should have been brought on.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited October 2009
    I'd take him and then leave him. Bow chicka wow wow.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Shatterstar is cool because it lets PAD write all kinds of gay jokes.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think the explanation for Layla's powers(wich I have only seen in scans here so sorry if I get it wrong) is the worst explanation ever.

Like bar none.

She used to be so cool with her "I know stuff".

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    I think the explanation for Layla's powers(wich I have only seen in scans here so sorry if I get it wrong) is the worst explanation ever.

Like bar none.

She used to be so cool with her "I know stuff".

I think the character had to undergo a change of that magnitude to stick around. Letting her continue in that fashion forever would have gone from annoying to unbearable.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    But...she still "knows stuff."

We just know how she knows stuff.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, but "I got a future dictonary stuck in my head and can't remember it all".

Isn't as cool as "I know stuff"

I always figured that she had a chaos magic version of precongition, where she can see the future but seeing it changes it. Thats why she wouldn't tell anyone the source of her power, because it would backfire on her. I mean she first appeared in House of M a gigant overwriting of reality by the Scarlet Witch. I always figured she was a failsafe made by the Scarlet Witch to undo the reality she made. Like Wiccan and his brother, a figment of the scarlet witch given form.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Also, she has reached the limit of the stuff she knows.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    She basically doesn't matter anymore, that's the most frustrating part about it.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Technically, in that she is from a time period past when her knowledge extends. In the current time-line, though, she still knows stuff and will for eighty more years.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    My moment of the week was finding the following at a local library:
    Invincible Hardcover Vol 1
    Invincible Vol 4 and 5
    Jack of Fables 1-5
    Scott Pilgrim 1-5
    Y: The Last Man 1-3

I'll be able to find the remainder of Y at another library, I just didn't have time
    oh yeah, my brother got a few Dreamwave Transformer comics for a quarter each, that was neat

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Technically, in that she is from a time period past when her knowledge extends. In the current time-line, though, she still knows stuff and will for eighty more years.

Unless, of course, that future is averted, which is what they should all be trying for. That's the thing about Cable and Bishop and all that time traveling bullshit. What they should be working toward is making sure it doesn't happen in the first place. It's why those stories don't work.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Junior YankJunior Yank Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    I wish Marvel had kept the whole "Frankencastle" thing under wraps till after this came out since you could kinda see the ending coming but still fantastic. Bravo Rick Remender.

I don't pay attention to comics news or solicits, so this was a surprise to me! I kept waiting for one of the New Avengers to help Frank.

MOTW: Ares: "Consider. The human fist."

Junior Yank on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited November 2009
    This isn't the X-Factor thread, guys. Like, three pages in this thread were about that, and man

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    RobchamRobcham The Rabbit King of your pantsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    GEEBS THE MOD

KICKIN ASS AND TAKIN NAMES

BRINGIN ORDER TO THE GRAPHIC VIOLENT

Robcham on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited November 2009
    damn it rob that is not on topic

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    KidDorkKidDork Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Picking up and reading the first two issues of Beasts of Burden was my MOTW. I hadn't even heard of the series until I heard about it on Awesomed by Comics. Just good comic books.

KidDork on
  • Options
    ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    the second issue surprised me with how dark it got

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wolverine First Class #20. Part two of Kitty and Logan's adventures with the Skrulls.

PAD writes an awesome Captain Marvel and Super-Skrull (Kl'rt). Their fight ruled, and it made me miss Mar-Vell.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Invincible- Pretty darn good until the gore kicked in
    Jack of Hearts- Awesome
    Scott Pilgrim- Ehhhhhhhhh it was OK
    Y: The Last Man- FUCK YEAH

Antimatter on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    The mission is to get you back to A.I.M., we can't wait for him.
    I like your take charge attitude, think you could ever go for a guy without a body?
    No.
    Bitch.

As usual pretty much anything Deadpool wins.

DarkWarrior on