As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Field of Dreams II: The L.A. Raiders

ElkiElki get busyModerator, ClubPA mod
edited November 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
Things you need to know:

• Somewhere outside of L.A. exist something called the City of Industry, a shopping district with 800 residents.
  • The voters of Industry voted 60-1 to approve a $500 million bond package for public improvements to prepare for a new stadium.
  • Schwarzenegger signed a bill exempting the project from environmental regulations to speed up construction.
  • It'll be a 75,000-seat, $800 million stadium (current working title: Los Angeles Stadium)
  • It will be a privately financed stadium, as promised by realty mogul Ed Roski Jr and his Majestic Realty. Use as much salt as you'd like with that one. It'll still be on public land.
  • Now, you're asking. What team? Well, no team. Yet. The plan is simple: If you build a new stadium in L.A. the NFL will send a team there. However Majestic did compile a short-list of teams they'll be targeting: The Chargers, the Raiders, the Rams, the Vikings, the Jaguars, the Bills and the 49ers.
  • On a weirdness note: they're already selling club seats.

My main objection to this is entirely selfish. I don't want to see NFL football in L.A. I don't think I can stand having another big market team for ESPN/Fox/CBS to devote coverage to; it will kill me. I just love my football, and I fear for it.

But what is actually crazy is that 61 people get to decide that this gets to happen. That is simply the most insane use of technicalities I've ever seen. It's absolutely insane. How do you do that? It just seems really sleazy. I mean is really sleazy.

And does the NFL want to lose the boogeyman it uses to make cities cough up $$$ for new stadiums?

L.A. forumers, how do you feel about getting a pro-team?

Some links:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/23/us/23stadium.html
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-walnut-nfl24-2009oct24,0,4601355.story
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-zirin29-2009oct29,0,5453451.story
http://www.sgvtribune.com/ci_13500252?source=rss_viewed

smCQ5WE.jpg
Elki on

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I heard something that the initial plan is to make a facility to host Superbowls in and hopefully get a team in the next five years.

I think Jacksonville is most likely going to be relocated. Bills, 49ers are too storied, Chargers are drawing a hell of a lot better, no one wants the Raiders.

I guess the Rams are fairly bad off too, but not like the jags.

Jags could be doing awesome and they'd still have attendance problems.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    takyristakyris Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    In an alternate future in which American Gods is written several years from now, this stadium is built, ignored, and filled with spectral football players who never made the cut in college and are now cursed to go three and out back and forth through a stadium whose seats are filled only with those proud fools who ordered its construction, watching a punt-fest for all eternity.

takyris on
  • Options
    KanamitKanamit Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I am so sick of the Chargers whining. Go to L.A., Chargers, I dare you.

Kanamit on
  • Options
    DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've heard stories about how if you built a stadium in LA, even if you only ever use it to host the super bowl, and the stadium isn't even used by a team, the NFL would still make a shitload of money off it.

It was in some Bill Simmons podcast with some NFL insider, and it was really, really interesting.

Raiders have the best shot at it I think. Their marketing is still fairly solid from the days when they were badasses, and a new owner could do a lot with them money wise, even if they continue to suck major ass.

edit: didn't even see that you already mentioned the super bowl thing gears.

Duki on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2009
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The voters of Industry voted 60-1 to approve a $500 million bond package for public improvements to prepare for a new stadium.

Can the state of California even bring a bond to market at this point? Personally I wouldn't trust the paper of any CA municipalities right now.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Deebaser wrote: »
    The voters of Industry voted 60-1 to approve a $500 million bond package for public improvements to prepare for a new stadium.

Can the state of California even bring a bond to market at this point? Personally I wouldn't trust the paper of any CA municipalities right now.
    California has a constitutional requirement to pay off debt before everything except education.

Kanamit on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    I would support Boston building a new stadium if we could use it to house the Braves, whose name would be changed back to "Beaneaters."

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm confused about how a city with 800 people can vote for a 500 million dollar bond. Is every single resident super rich, or what?

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Pi-r8 wrote: »
    I'm confused about how a city with 800 people can vote for a 500 million dollar bond. Is every single resident super rich, or what?
    Industry brings in the tax dollars without needing many services.

Kanamit on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I hear J'ville has the best shot at actually moving in the next few years. They can't seem to give their seats away, and the genius that though rural north Florida was the ideal spot for an NFL team needs to be shot from a cannon into the sun. It's a tiny, bullshit market that already has four other established NFL franchises no further than four hours in any direction. It's like opening a Tim Horton's on a block between Starbucks and Dunkin' Donuts, across from another Tim Horton's.

And really, who wants the Raiders?

Atomika on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    If it happens and they end up with the Jags, it'll be sensible to make KC an AFC South team and put LA in the AFC West.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Elki wrote: »
    If it happens and they end up with the Jags, it'll be sensible to make KC an AFC South team and put LA in the AFC West.

It's just really replacing one whipping boy with another, isn't it? That works for me. Then the Houston Texans can play the Dallas Texans and everone will be marginally confused.

Atomika on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Don't want it. Without a local team, we get the best games broadcast every week. If instead of getting PIT vs MIN or BAL vs NE, I had to watch Raiders/Jaguars vs ______ or suffer through blackouts, I'd suddenly have a lot more free time on Sundays. Basically, I like the NFL too much to want it here.

I remember going to City of Industry exactly three times ever. One was for a job interview, the other 2 were strip clubs. That's basically all you need to know about the city.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    BubbaT wrote: »

Don't want it. Without a local team, we get the best games broadcast every week. If instead of getting PIT vs MIN or BAL vs NE, I had to watch Raiders/Jaguars vs ______ or suffer through blackouts, I'd suddenly have a lot more free time on Sundays. Basically, I like the NFL too much to want it here.

I remember going to City of Industry exactly three times ever. One was for a job interview, the other 2 were strip clubs. That's basically all you need to know about the city.

Well, that and that Harvey Keitel is a badass.
    City-of-Industry-Poster.jpg
    No, I've never seen this movie. And I hope I never do.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    SpacehogSpacehog Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Having two teams leave your city in the same goddamn year should exempt your town from ever having a NFL franchise ever again. Perhaps I'm just not paying enough attention, but I just don't see the fine citizens of Greater L.A. clamoring for a NFL team. I remember before we had, ahem, acquired the Ravens, we had all kinds of events, petitions, mass begging, you get the picture. I just haven't seen that in LA. other than the 60 people in City of Industry apparently.

Spacehog on
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Things you need to know:

• Somewhere outside of L.A. exist something called the City of Industry, a shopping district with 800 residents.
    More an industrial city (and it is a city in and of itself outside of LA that has more money than God because there's nothing but business there and boasts a total of 61 residents, last I checked)
    [*]The voters of Industry voted 60-1 to approve a $500 million bond package for public improvements to prepare for a new stadium.
    They didn't need a bond because they're swimming in money, but whatever. Easy to do when that's your entire population in the city right there.
    [*]Schwarzenegger signed a bill exempting the project from environmental regulations to speed up construction.
    Well, they're already choking on their own industrial exhaust...
    [*]It'll be a 75,000-seat, $800 million stadium (current working title: Los Angeles Stadium)
    The Coliseum isn't going to be too happy about that.
    [*]It will be a privately financed stadium, as promised by realty mogul Ed Roski Jr and his Majestic Realty. Use as much salt as you'd like with that one. It'll still be on public land.
    It'll be privately funded until it isn't. And the NFL won't drop a dime on it.
    [*]Now, you're asking. What team? Well, no team. Yet. The plan is simple: If you build a new stadium in L.A. the NFL will send a team there. However Majestic did compile a short-list of teams they'll be targeting: The Chargers, the Raiders, the Rams, the Vikings, the Jaguars, the Bills and the 49ers.
    This has actually been the plan for years and the way it's been done. The stadium gets built, then a team expresses interest. That's why LA hasn't been terribly enthusiastic about trying to get an NFL team back, because they have other things to spend the money on.
    My main objection to this is entirely selfish. I don't want to see NFL football in L.A. I don't think I can stand having another big market team for ESPN/Fox/CBS to devote coverage to; it will kill me. I just love my football, and I fear for it.

But what is actually crazy is that 61 people get to decide that this gets to happen. That is simply the most insane use of technicalities I've ever seen. It's absolutely insane. How do you do that? It just seems really sleazy. I mean is really sleazy.

And does the NFL want to lose the boogeyman it uses to make cities cough up $$$ for new stadiums?

It's easy to do when the City of Industry is it's own municipality, has only 61 residents total, and can decide whatever it wants to do within it's own borders. Actually, that's not entirely true. Environmental review is going to require a look at traffic patterns, which will affect other municipalities around it greatly, who can raise an objection (and it will require environmental review; what Schwarzenegger signed isn't going to fly in the courts at all).

I don't want an LA team, period. Football is nothing but a pure money money pit for cities that host a team. With only about six home games per year, ticket and concession sales don't cover shit for upkeep, staffing, etc. And if it's the Raiders, keep them far away from LA. Raiders fans are nothing but deranged thugs.

Admittedly, I worked on the proposed upgrades to the Rose Bowl, which was supposed to attract an NFL team before they decided to pass. But that was just a job which I had to do, even if I didn't like it. Oh, some interesting behind-the-scenes stories came out of that one.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    It is has lucky number 777 residents as of 2000. 1/3 of which are either related to the mayor or his tenants.

Kanamit on
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

Same here. NFL isn't really a great stadium experience anyway unless you are loaded. As for Industry, I used to buy computer stuff back in the day when I geeked out on that sort of shit. Pain in the ass to get to unless you double the size of a couple of freeways.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Huh... what does it mean that they can ignore environmental regulations in order to expedite its construction? If I were a resident of Industry I'd be a bit worried about that. Also I didn't know that California's executive office had that type of authority.

user on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    user wrote: »
    Huh... what does it mean that they can ignore environmental regulations in order to expedite its construction? If I were a resident of Industry I'd be a bit worried about that. Also I didn't know that California's executive office had that type of authority.

Seriously, Industry is what the name implies. I'm pretty sure a copper mine would improve the place environmentally.

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I thought this was going to be a movie thread about a sequel to Field of Dreams. I am immensely thankful it is not.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Same here. NFL isn't really a great stadium experience anyway unless you are loaded. As for Industry, I used to buy computer stuff back in the day when I geeked out on that sort of shit. Pain in the ass to get to unless you double the size of a couple of freeways.

I've only been to one NFL game, and I actually thought it was pretty damn fun. Well, except the fact that it was a godawful game (note to Seahawks: you suck). But having been to every pro sport now (including MLS) I found NFL to be pretty good.

And we were, literally, two rows away from the very back (on the upper level). Terribad seats.
    I don't want an LA team, period. Football is nothing but a pure money money pit for cities that host a team. With only about six home games per year, ticket and concession sales don't cover shit for upkeep, staffing, etc. And if it's the Raiders, keep them far away from LA. Raiders fans are nothing but deranged thugs.

Yeah, it seems like unless you've pulling in a couple Super Bowls or multi-purposing the stadium (like the Sounders/Seahawks) you're going to have a hard time paying for it.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Yeah, it seems like unless you've pulling in a couple Super Bowls or multi-purposing the stadium (like the Sounders/Seahawks) you're going to have a hard time paying for it.

I've got a feeling that LA is never going to run short of excuses to use a really nice stadium. You've got two major NCAA football teams and a shitload of bands that are constantly looking for venues, as well as whatever monster truck/motocross/xgames bullshit the kids are running to these days.

Atomika on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm pretty sure if the rams or the raiders move back to Oakland, Zuul returns in the prechosen form of Gozer the Gozerian.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited November 2009

I've only been to one NFL game, and I actually thought it was pretty damn fun. Well, except the fact that it was a godawful game (note to Seahawks: you suck). But having been to every pro sport now (including MLS) I found NFL to be pretty good.

And we were, literally, two rows away from the very back (on the upper level). Terribad seats.

People that want to go to NFL games can go to San Diego. It's 2-3 hours on the freeway - I'm guessing there's a lot of people who drive farther to get to Seattle or Green Bay or wherever.

Also, there used to be 2 teams in LA and no one went to see them. I remember only being able to watch 1 game on Sundays because the other 2 were blacked out Raiders and Rams games.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

This really boils down to preference. My own experience is that I would much rather go see an MLS game at the HDC but I like soccer. I also like football, but mostly I like football on TV. For me, the problem with football is that the game itself is close to 4 hours with around 30 minutes of action. I enjoy the tailgate and the postgame party, but the game itself takes too fucking long. That said, if I was going to 2 games a year I could totally get into it. Make a day out of it. Ironically, I think if I lived in Pittsburgh and had a bit of cash I would be all over this for as many games as I could afford. In LA not so much.

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    SpacehogSpacehog Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Podly wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure if the rams or the raiders move back to Oakland, Zuul returns in the prechosen form of Gozer the Gozerian.

Then we're already fucked.

Spacehog on
  • Options
    GrizzledGrizzled Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    As a former (and hopefully future) resident of the Bay Area, and a current resident of LA, and a football fan, I have a few thoughts here.

- I would never haul my ass all the way out to City of Industry to watch a football game.

- Especially if the team was the Raiders. Everyone who keeps talking about the Raiders moving to LA needs to stop and realize that Al Davis is basically a senile crazy old man, and until he dies or the team is wrested from his twisted clawhands, the Raiders will not only remain one of the worst teams in the NFL, they will also be a continual source of ridiculous drama and hassles for whatever city they are in.

- The Jaguars are pretty gawdawful too. Basically all the teams that have been suggested as the new LA team are either A) terrible, which would create a disincentive to go watch them, or B) just positioning themselves for a stadium deal in their home city - I have a really hard time imagining that the Vikings or 49ers would be let go to move to LA.

- As has been mentioned in the thread, I have yet to meet an Angeleno who actually cares that we don't have an NFL team here. After all, we have the Lakers, the Dodgers, and USC; three teams that can be counted on to at least be in competition for the championship year after year. What do we need a crappy football team for? The only people who really seem to be gung-ho about this proposal are some sports columnists, some politicians, and the business people who stand to profit from the whole deal - which, of course, might be good enough to make it happen, only to be a dreadful failure inside of 5 years.

All in all, there is no reason for an NFL team to be here and all the suggested "solutions" to this "problem" are stupid. However, certain people might make a ton of money off of it, so it might happen anyway.

Grizzled on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

This really boils down to preference. My own experience is that I would much rather go see an MLS game at the HDC but I like soccer. I also like football, but mostly I like football on TV. For me, the problem with football is that the game itself is close to 4 hours with around 30 minutes of action. I enjoy the tailgate and the postgame party, but the game itself takes too fucking long. That said, if I was going to 2 games a year I could totally get into it. Make a day out of it. Ironically, I think if I lived in Pittsburgh and had a bit of cash I would be all over this for as many games as I could afford. In LA not so much.

I probably wasn't clear, but football is probably my least favorite sport to go watch live. I prefer soccer, hockey, or even baseball. But it was still a ton of fun.

And oddly, the game didn't feel as "long" as I thought it would.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Huh, I'm not even sure how the 49ers or Vikings are on that list. I can't imagine either of those teams moving.

The Twins finally got their new stadium and the Vikings are arguably more popular up here these days than the Twins. I expect the Vikings will have a new stadium within the next decade, especially if they remain reasonably competitive.

And I think the 49ers just have too much history where they are. It'd be like the Steelers moving to Philly or something :P
    Does anyone build stadiums anymore without multi-purposing them? Have a dedicated stadium for NFL games only seems like it would be a laughably gigantic waste of space.
    *edit* Wait are you talking multi-team as opposed to multi-purpose?

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    As someone who watched the last team expansion that gave us the Texans, the NFL bent over backwards to give LA every chance it needed to have a team, and even then LA didn't care enough to get one. What makes this different now? There seems to be a disconnect between what will happen with the general LA population and what the media thinks they need for a certain market.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    user wrote: »

Well, as I mentioned, literally only about 60 people actually live in the City of Industry, no joke. As it's name implies, it's nothing but business.

California's executive office actually doesn't have that power. This is going to wind up in court and get delayed anyway, especially with neighboring cities like Diamond Bar, which is where the South Coast Air Quality Management District's main office is. Every state and federal agency will be suing to stop this project until full environmental review is performed.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Huh, I'm not even sure how the 49ers or Vikings are on that list. I can't imagine either of those teams moving.

The Twins finally got their new stadium and the Vikings are arguably more popular up here these days than the Twins. I expect the Vikings will have a new stadium within the next decade, especially if they remain reasonably competitive.

And I think the 49ers just have too much history where they are. It'd be like the Steelers moving to Philly or something :P
    The Vikings lease on the Metrodome expires after the 2011 season, so a new stadium in ten years gives them 8 years to find somewhere more profitable, like LA. I do agree that it seems unlikely though. Their threats to leave don't feel real at all, more like fear mongering and bluffing.

Cauld on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Does anyone build stadiums anymore without multi-purposing them? Have a dedicated stadium for NFL games only seems like it would be a laughably gigantic waste of space.

Every outdoor sports team in the LA area already has their own stadium.
    Dodgers - Dodger Stadium
    Angels - Edison Field
    Trojans - LA Coliseum
    Bruins - Rose Bowl
    Galaxy - Home Depot Center

There's really no need for an extra stadium in LA, all the kids already have their own rooms.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    You could have the world's largest outdoor strip club. That could be a thing.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Every outdoor sports team in the LA area already has their own stadium.
    Dodgers - Dodger Stadium
    Angels - Edison Field
    Trojans - LA Coliseum
    Bruins - Rose Bowl
    Galaxy - Home Depot Center

There's really no need for an extra stadium in LA, all the kids already have their own rooms.

Um, ok?

HappylilElf on