As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Omegathon

13»

• Options
    MtWjakeMtWjake Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    When are they ending the random drawing for the omeganauts. I want to know if I still have a chance.

MtWjake on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2005
    MtWjake wrote:
    When are they ending the random drawing for the omeganauts. I want to know if I still have a chance.

They've all been chosen and contacted already.

:|

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    JoshEEEJoshEEE Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    I'm bummed that I didn't get back in. I took third last year dangit! I should at least be an alternate or something. :D

Kevin, damn you and your rocket camping Quake skills that got you past that 2nd place tiebreaker between us last year. I still look back on the controversy of that Quake match when I think about the Omegathon I wonder what would have happend if my kill had counted and I had gotten to play Sean in the finals. I was one bad judgement call away from that and I'll never get to know.

For most of you that have no idea/don't care what I'm talking about, Kevin and I were neck and neck for second place behind Sean in Quake and at the buzzer I got the final (what should have been winning) kill as they shut down the game server and called out the scores and declared a tie for 2nd.

They "officially" decided that my last kill didn't count because our enforcer didn't see it and the server was reset instead of just stopped, so they had us play a tiebreaker, which I lost rather decisevly to Kevin and his rockets.

In the end, he lost to Sean....but at least now he gets to go back for redemption and I get to.......watch from the cheap seats. :D

All sour grapes about not getting back in myself aside, I congratulate Kevin and Matt on getting back in and I will be putting my money on one of you guys to win it all this year. There are a few repeat games, and if I remember correctly...you both did well at all of them.

Good luck!

JoshEEE on
    Bring it

GWgFmYD.png
  • Options
    Shin AtariShin Atari Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Hey JoshEEE, I have my money on Kevin too!

Nice job getting picked again this year Matt and Kevin as well.

I'll probably only be attending on Saturday...but hey isn't that when Round 4 is!

Shin Atari on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2005
    To answer the questions regarding the "Repeat" Omeganauts, Kevin Potter was chosen deliberately as we thought having the Runner-Up participate in the following year would be a cool tradition.

As far as Matt Foster goes- he was randomly selected, just like everyone else.

No other previous Omeganauts are in.

Please allow me to sum up all future negative replies:

I wasn't selected, thus your selection methodology is fundamentally flawed.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    apotheos wrote:
    To answer the questions regarding the "Repeat" Omeganauts, Kevin Potter was chosen deliberately as we thought having the Runner-Up participate in the following year would be a cool tradition.

As far as Matt Foster goes- he was randomly selected, just like everyone else.

No other previous Omeganauts are in.

Please allow me to sum up all future negative replies:

I wasn't selected, thus your selection methodology is fundamentally flawed.
    I guess some people are just unnerved by the SHEER ODDS of someone being an Omeganaut two times in a row.

I'm not gonna calculate it.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    QuizMasterQuizMaster Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Well, those odds do seem rather steep. Mind you, perhaps a lot of people turned down the chance to be Omeganauts. Then yes, eventually there would be repeats.

QuizMaster on
  • Options
    BeatByAGrrlBeatByAGrrl Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    I am in shock -- I am an Omeganaut.

That's the best title I've ever had.

And to think I almost turned it down. **slaps her own face**

:arrow: ALSO -- Please check out the PAX Room Share thread as I am offering to share my room for Friday and Saturday night. I also need a place to crash Thursday and Sunday night.

BeatByAGrrl on
    when you punish a person for dreaming his dream, don't expect him to thank or forgive you. the best ever death metal band out of denton will in time both outpace and outlive you. hail satan!
  • Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited August 2005
    QuizMaster wrote:
    Well, those odds do seem rather steep. Mind you, perhaps a lot of people turned down the chance to be Omeganauts. Then yes, eventually there would be repeats.

People win the lottery twice all the time- those odds are 1 in 10,000,000. This is merely 1 in 3000. It's not that significant.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2005
    I know I'm going to be cheering for Matt, after all he was the one who was driving when we took 3rd (or was it second?) in Mario Cart (and to think I practiced for like 15 hours only to be the passenger!), and like my self he was taken out in the brutal Dance Dance round. Plus he's a cool guy.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Hi. I'm an Omeganaut, and I'm sooooo freaking nervous because I'm a freaking Camp Counselor and I haven't been able to play anything since june. I really want to win, but I really, _REALLY_ want to be in round four. ^_^ I've never played Karaoke revolution, but I can sing, and I'm one of those freaks who loves to be in front of crowds. Hey, if I don't make it that far, can I do it anyway? Just for fun? ^_^;;;;;

Oh, and if anybody has crash space, please let me know.

P.s. do we get any chances to practice there? Because i seriously need to.

~k8

Unknown User on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Just got back from a road trip to Louisiana, utterly cut off from the internet for the entire week. It was dreadful. I'm still shaking from withdrawal.

Got a chande to play some Diceland, and that game is really fun. A pretty decent amount of luck involved, but just enough strategy that I won't feel too cheated if I go out. I also brushed up on my Mario Kart skills a bit, but that led to a few questions - how's that round gonna work in the tourney? Straight up race between all contestants, each one controlling on kart? Random pairings of Omeganauts for co-op races? Battle mode? If you don't wanna release that kind of information, I understand, but I'm a little curious.

Also, good luck to the fellow Omeganauts on the board. Should be good times.

And I'm still fucking lousy at Karaoke Revolution.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    GaminGamin Brockport, NYRegistered User regular
    edited August 2005
    I don't think they will pair us up. Personally I would like straight up 4 player matches. I just wish there was some way to shut off blue shells.

I just got Diceland in the mail and have to play it a bit.

I have a question though... When you say "Quake" you are talking about the first one right? Just making sure.

Gamin on
    Damn i really like Ferrari, but they are letting the fans down because other car companies sell more cars than them!
  • Options
    CorruptedDataCorruptedData Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Omegathon Final Prediction: Super Mario Bros 3 Time Trial.

We all know that 11 minutes is possible.

CorruptedData on
    My signature sucks
  • Options
    JoshEEEJoshEEE Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    I don't think they will pair us up. Personally I would like straight up 4 player matches. I just wish there was some way to shut off blue shells.

Last year they paired us up in Mario Kart. This was a shame, because you had to partner up with people you'd never played with before. I ended up with Kevin and we still managed to do pretty well....though he later beat me in Quake. :D

And yes..Quake 1. No mouse. Just keyboard.

JoshEEE on
    Bring it

GWgFmYD.png
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2005
    Omegathon Final Prediction: Super Mario Bros 3 Time Trial.

We all know that 11 minutes is possible.

No...it isn't.

Unless there's a different one other than the one of the guy that uses save states every split second.

Legacy on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Have these names been announced yet, then...? :? Excuse my ignorant soul.

Quiz!!! :D Greetings, Dood!

Unknown User on
  • Options
    SimethosSimethos Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    call me lazy, i dont feel like sifting thru the numerous posts and pages, but how were the participants selected again? I heard that tycho was going to be calling people who pre-registered? was that the only means in which you were selected?

Simethos on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Simethos wrote:
    call me lazy, i dont feel like sifting thru the numerous posts and pages, but how were the participants selected again? I heard that tycho was going to be calling people who pre-registered? was that the only means in which you were selected?

Yes.

Only Pre-Registrants were eligable. They, then, took all the names and pulled ten out of a hat(well, metaphorically) and called them. If one of the people didn't want to do it, they pulled another one until all the spots were filled.

Next year, on the Pre-Registrant page, they should have a checkbox that you have to check if you don't want to be eligable, just to save time...

Legacy on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2005
    de4dmeta1 wrote:
    apotheos wrote:
    The phone is the easiest and most reliable way to get in contact with people, with instant response time.

Maybe less money on PAX and more money on the phone bill would have been a better idea.
    Hey, I just had my phone die a week ago, and I've been paying the bills. We've got phone line saboteurs running around up here, cutting lines because of the telecommunications strike. Bad juju. Maybe somethng similar is going on in Oregon.

Speaking of which, if I missed an Omega-call because of that particular juju, I'm going to be just slightly irate. :evil:

BTW, VERIZON SUCKS! wasn't my fault that phone was out. Was a bill issue but verizons policys sucks though. The issue was fixed. The whole golden ticket would of been much more enjoyable instead of being excited the phone might ring. For that matter, What if i was at work or doing something (supposedly) more important then pax?

just a thought.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2005
    I can only presume there was not a requirement to be home all day to be an Omeganaut. Perhaps they left voice mails. If they didn't, then I guess our Omeganauts are selected from a keen array of losers, the unemployed, and the extremely lucky people who used flex time in a freak coincidental manner.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    apotheos wrote:
    I can only presume there was not a requirement to be home all day to be an Omeganaut. Perhaps they left voice mails. If they didn't, then I guess our Omeganauts are selected from a keen array of losers, the unemployed, and the extremely lucky people who used flex time in a freak coincidental manner.

It's not like they didn't get everyone's email address when they registered for PAX.

Legacy on
  • Options
    GaminGamin Brockport, NYRegistered User regular
    edited August 2005
    apotheos wrote:

...or people that bring their phones to work.

Gamin on
    Damn i really like Ferrari, but they are letting the fans down because other car companies sell more cars than them!
  • Options
    RedBeastMageRedBeastMage Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    A few things to say here:

Thanks for everyone who is rooting for me. I need the support in the early rounds(especially quake).

Josh, it was Doom. Doom 95 to be exact last year. This year is Quake, which i am nervous as shit about.

and i believe i got picked out of 800 2day preregistrants last year, and out of 3000? prereg this year. So that like, 20*19/800*3000= 1 in 6666.66 chance. My odds were not all THAT bad.

And to all omeganauts. Pray that they dont' do 1vs1 in karaoke this year like in DDR. It was the only event where the more skilled didn't nessicarly all move on, due to random pairings.

RedBeastMage on
    I swear, I'm retiring from any game with the word 'Revolution" in the title. I must be the only person who breathed a sigh of relief at not being called for the Omegathon this year.
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    They probably will do 1vs1 pairings. It wouldn't be very fair to compare scores on a cross-song basis.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    apotheos wrote:

I know in my case they left a message with my mom, and I had to call back. It was cool. I had a phone conversation with _the_ Tycho of Penny Arcade. My friends were all jealous.

Oh God, I'm so nervous right now.

~K8

Unknown User on