As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Worstcase and Anatomy! NSFW p.5

worstcaseworstcase Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Artist's Corner
Well I've posted around here a little bit but I've finally decided to take the plunge and make a thread. Some of this was posted in the doodle thread earlier, but i figure i might as well round it all up here. Any crits or comments would be lovely!

SmallBluedragon.png
weird thing
OWLCOMIC.png
sketchbook comic
MysteryTeam.png
comic done for my school newspaper
SoldierSOLDJA.png
black and white project for my art class. I don't like his face very much.
WatercolorWinter.png
Watercolor picture of some girl
DetailWatercolor.png
detail
LilRed.png
Little red riding hood oil painting. It's very small.
SeaHairOLLD.png
Pen and ink of a mermaid thing. I just wanted to draw hair.
HandsforPHOTS.png
Lots of hand contours
StillLife.png
Still life. I had a lot of trouble with this. How can you get a smooth realistic pencil shading?
SmallDouble.png
I am not very good at painting with photoshop. I am amazed at the highly realistic stuff that is on DA or here. I don't really get how to...blend? It's pretty dang hard.
WatercolorCardboardd.png
watercolor on cardboard
BirdHat.png
Posted this in the challenge thread a while ago.
SmallerREEDD.png
Red riding hood! Wooo
Frances.png
photo montage for art class. Its meh friend. She hates her eyebrows in this picture.

My camera is pretty sucky. Ignore the dates on some of them, they're wrong.
I know that's a lot of pictures, but any feedback would be really appreciated!

worstcase on

• Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    love your stuff man, especially the way you render hair

what kind of pencils did you use for the still life? dull and mechanical pencils i would not recommend, but what you really seem to have problem with is contrast. figure out the lighting with simple crosshatching first, find out how dark and light your tools go (my art teacher used to make us do lines of gradient with our pencils) and then work from light to dark without overthinking it

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    LexxyLexxy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh my fuck it's a fatbird hat <3333

Lexxy on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    finally. I told you to do this ages ago.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I. can't. believe. that. hair.

how long did it take you to do the mermaid thing?

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    are you familiar with sergio toppi? I think you would like him.

http://images.google.com/images?pws=0&q=sergio%20toppi&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Lexxy wrote: »
    Oh my fuck it's a fatbird hat <3333

This made me laugh way too hard for unknown reasons.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Mensch-o-matic: I used the pencils that go from H to whatever. G? I remember that the ebony one did not erase, even when i used the gummy eraser. I think i will give another shot at still life. I've never cross hatched before but i think i will try that.
    Lexxy: I think that fat bird thing is probably the most loved thing ive ever done.
    Manovon: I know! I finally did it! It only took me a year.
    Srisizzy: That probably took me....4-5 hours. Maybe 6. Yeah that hair took awhile but I really like how it came out! Thanks!
    Kendeath: Wow thanks for the link! I really love his stuff, its so....i don't even know. WonderfuL? :)
    Godfather: when "fuck" "fat" and "bird" are combined it produces laughter. It's scientifically proven.

worstcase on
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So I was zoning out and randomly clicking all over the PA forums and somehow managed to find this thread. Now I'm like "Woa". True story.

I love, love, love your stuff, and I can't get enough!

Also, this:
    SmallDouble.png
    background is my go-to texture for making everything look cool and grungy. It has yet to let me down.

Cristoval on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Hahha, thanks so much! I too love that texture...so much. It truly makes everything grungier and grittier!

worstcase on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    holy crap, the hands!
    i love that, the style, the look, everything. i would wall paper this. i would wear it on a jacket, or on a scarf. i would use it as a cover for anything!

mully on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Thats probably the nicest comment ive ever recieved ever.

:)

worstcase on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Oh my fuck it's a fatbird hat!

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Soooo my scanner is messed up right now

In the meantime, here is a doodle of a kid with an owl on his head
    Owlonheaddoodle.png

worstcase on
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That kid is so fucking stoked to have an owl on his head. Surely he does not recognize the danger of it's talons.

Cristoval on
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    TALONS

PROX on
  • Options
    spacepotatospacepotato Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    i normally don't even look at this subforum, but the thread title intrigued me. your little red riding hood pieces are all amazing. the rest of your stuff is fantastic, too-- you've got some serious talent-- but the red riding hood stuff grabs me. i hope you don't mind my stashing them and using them as wallpapers.

if you ever sold these as prints, i'd buy 'em.

spacepotato on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Thanks! Of course you can use them as wallpapers! Serious, go for it. I have a minor obsession with little red riding hood, I love drawing her cloak!

worstcase on
  • Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Definitely have to agree about Red Riding Hood. I'm not a fan of the colouring in the first comic, but the second one I love love love. Everything about it.

This is great stuff!

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Oh yeah that first comics coloring is not to spiffy. I actually really like the other one though, thanks!
    HOKAY so this is old but i meant to post it up with the other junk. Its a tshirt i made a while back of Audrey Hepburn:
    Thy_Name_Shall_Be_Audrey_by_worstca.jpg
    Two oil paintings done for school. I tried to emulate Egon Schiele but it pretty muched failed. My teacher likes them though, so thats....nice.
    TheQuietandTiredDETAILSnakk.png
    SlashedSmall.png
    Doodle i guess.
    HairHeart.png

EDIT: Also that ear is small on first guy. That one is actually part of a larger painting, ill post the rest of it when i get a good picture of it. The background doesnt have any paint on it because my teacher thinks that makes it look cooler, I'm fine with that. That means less work for me!
    Yayayayayy....yyyay

worstcase on
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Nice stuff man. In your first post I thought the paintings were your weakest things, but the ones you just posted are really awesome. You have a great style.

Food on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    the cig looks awkward in that one painting. then again, outside of chuck close, paintings and drawings of people smoking often do looked forced.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Cigs really are the most awkward things ever. Have you ever looked at one? Like, really stared at one for awhile?
    Now think about bananas. Bananas are an awkward fruit.
    Seriously, the adjectives used to describe banana are "elongated yellow fruit"

That makes me feel extremely uncomfortable right there.

worstcase on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Oh and thanks food! Yeah painting is something that i really want to get better at. The problem is that I believe that I am actually pretty decent at a "sketchbook" style, or kind of a cool loose type of painting and drawing. And while I think i have gotten better at tightening things in my pencil work and pen work, I think my painting can still use a lot of work. Even though personally i do love some splattery unfinished type stuff, but i know that you need to build off fundamentals to really and truly pull that stuff off.

I will post some of my hand contours and pencil work later this week

worstcase on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I forgot to post these! I had to make a tshirt that had splatters coming from the bottom and the splatters turning into birds for this charity my friends are in charge of. So far I have three things but we are probably going to use the bottom one.
    BirdUNO.png
    BirdDOS.png
    BIRDTres.png

worstcase on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Neato!

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Whoops I bumped myself off!
    BirdUNO.png
    BirdDOS.png
    BIRDTres.png

worstcase on
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The bottom one is by far the strongest. IT would be good if you showed a couple more of the splatters part way into transforming into a bird. Id also play with the bird flying in different directions(not all facing the same way) and varying the size of them a little more. Maybe just one dominate bigger birdshape would do it..

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    So I sorta forot about...having a thread and all...
    but Kendeath your crits are seriously wonderful, but I unfortunately didn't have time to implement them as we were told to make a t-shirt on very short notice. But I still appreciate the life out of em!
    But here are the finished t-shirt designs! Chaney(The designer) fixed em' up and they are now being sold for the charity Adopt-a-Jesus.
    LIfeRenewedWhite.jpg
    LIfeRenewedGreay.jpg
    oh and here is a doodle
    HairHeart.png

worstcase on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I made a dante t-shirt for a friend!
    DanteSMALL.png

worstcase on
  • Options
    Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    worstcase wrote: »
    So I sorta forot about...having a thread and all...
    but Kendeath your crits are seriously wonderful, but I unfortunately didn't have time to implement them as we were told to make a t-shirt on very short notice. But I still appreciate the life out of em!
    But here are the finished t-shirt designs! Chaney(The designer) fixed em' up and they are now being sold for the charity Adopt-a-Jesus.
    LIfeRenewedWhite.jpg
    LIfeRenewedGreay.jpg
    oh and here is a doodle
    HairHeart.png

I love that doodle. The t-shirt design I hope isn't the actual colours, because that looks weak compared to the previous stuff.

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Thanks! I love drawin me some hair.
    The colors look very different on the actual t-shirts. I was a little disappointed myself, but in the end they made the final decision. Still, we sold a lot of t-shirts which was good.
    I, personally, like the first design the best, but i guess I was in the minority

worstcase on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Okay My art teacher's daughter really wants to buy this painting, and i have no idea how to price it. If i sell this it would be my first painting to ever sell, and I really don't want to accidently overprice it. Its oil on canvas, and I don't have it with me but the size is not that big, maybe the size of...like a few inches smaller than a compy monitor. I really need help with this, it would be extremely appreciated.
    Painting.png

worstcase on
  • Options
    Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    work out your material costs, work out how long it took to paint, and work out a fair hourly rate.

Jake! on
  • Options
    CrowlestonCrowleston Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The common method used to price paintings goes like this.

Add up all the expenses for producing the piece of art. This included the canvas, stretcher bars, turpentine, photo shoot expenses (did you hire a model or rent costumes) etc. It can even include a fraction of the rent for your studio and a fraction of the brushes and paint. I say a fraction because you’ll be using the brushes and paint for more than one painting.
    Decide your hourly rate and multiply by the time you spent on producing the masterpiece.
    Add it all up and that’s your price.

Taken from http://www.stanprokopenko.com/blog/2009/07/paintings-overpriced/ which is a pretty quick and interesting read. I recommend it.

Crowleston on
    useless but necessary objects of society.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hooo sweet deals. Thanks so much Jake! and Crowleston. I think it'll be priced pretty cheaply, probably around $75, more or less depending on their reaction

worstcase on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I drew hands!
    HANDSTUDIES.png

worstcase on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Skeetch dump(spoilered for lots of stuff)
    Cover.png
    DoodleONe.png
    doodlethree.png
    doodletwo.png
    doodlefive.png
    doodleseven.png
    doodleten.png
    doodle8.png
    doodlesix.png
    doodleseventeen.png
    doodleeleven.png
    doodletwelve.png
    doodlethirteen.png
    doodletwentyone.png
    doodletwenty.png
    doodlefifteen.png
    doodlesixteen.png
    doodlefourteen.png

I'd put more up here but im terrified of running over my photobucket bandwith. I have alot more to add though.....

worstcase on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    you ever find your dog?

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeah! Finally! I missed her too, she is an old black poodle. But we found her in a weird park.

worstcase on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I also drew these two bird things...(First one was a small drawing on deviantart, i loved it so much i made my own strictly personal version of tiny tiny birds)
    Birdsonalilines.png
    Burrdesa.png

worstcase on