As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Charter throttling Bit torrent and Hulu?

JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
In about the past month or so I've been having bandwidth problems with Charter. I have 20mb/2mb internet with them and yet when I run ANY bit torrent at all -- even when UL is only going at like 5k/sec and DL at around 50k/sec it will cause surfing websites to be totally unresponsive and does the same thing for my roommate surfing at the same time (with no DLs). Hulu also seems incapable of streaming faster than 50-100k/sec at any time of day or night -- it basically requires pausing to fill the buffer every 10mins.

I have BT properly forwarded as well, and using the same settings as I've used for years.

Anyone else experienced this or have suggestions for masking my activity so they can't destroy my connection completely while using BT at all?

JediNight on

• MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Go up to the local office and ask them about it. You'll get some anecdotes that concur here, but you're likely to get good results if you speak to them directly (not by phone).

MKR on
  • ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Could also be that youre flooding your router with too many connections. For example, on our shitty rogers cable modem/router, i have to limit the number of connections to ~100 globally, otherwise our net connection dies. Before when i was using just the rogers modem and my own router (Linksys flashed with DD-WRT), i could set the global connections to ~400 with no issue.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.