As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Changing resolutions in Windows... From Linux [SOLVED]

LorkLork Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
My monitor just died and I don't have enough money to buy another one at the moment.

The good news: I have an ancient monitor that goes with a 386/DX I have in the closet and I was able to get up and running at 640x480 in Ubuntu Linux.

The bad news: Some setting in Windows XP is too high for this monitor, even in safe mode. I suspect it's trying to run at 800x600, but I can't be sure that the refresh rate or something else isn't what's too high. One thing that might complicate things a bit is that my Windows partition is NTFS.

So is there anything I can do about this?

Steam Profile: Lork
Lork on

• Options
    TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    You get the bios though right? When exactly does it all go blank?

My guess is resolution settings are in the registry somewhere.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    Patches7o9Patches7o9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Press F8 during boot, then choose Enable VGA mode.
    Enable VGA Mode: This option starts Windows in 640 x 480 mode by using the current video driver (not Vga.sys). This mode is useful if the display is configured for a setting that the monitor cannot display.

Source

Patches7o9 on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I managed to borrow a monitor from a friend which is working very nicely, but now I have a new problem. When I tried VGA mode, it caused a BSOD right after the login screen which persists when I try to start Windows normally or in safe mode. Hap! Hap!

Lork on
  • Options
    Patches7o9Patches7o9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If you constantly getting a BSOD try booting off a Windows install disc, go to Recovery Console and run "chkdsk /r".

I dunno, it fixes most of the problems I have at work. :)

Patches7o9 on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Patches7o9 wrote: »
    If you constantly getting a BSOD try booting off a Windows install disc, go to Recovery Console and run "chkdsk /r".

I dunno, it fixes most of the problems I have at work. :)
    Chkdsk froze at 50%, but apparently it solved the problem because I'm posting from Windows. Thanks!

Lork on
This discussion has been closed.