As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Engadget "confirms" black Xbox 360 Elite, w/ 120 GB and HDMI

167891012»

• ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'd pay extra for a console with a metal casing like my other AV stuff. And it would cool better.

ben0207 on
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Einhander wrote: »
    I'd guess less. The problem with the matte black is that it tends to just look old after a while. My oxbox looks awful, for instance. I prefer the shiny, myself, even if it does get dusty.

The oxbox is actually a really, really dark green (you can tell if you hold it up to sunlight), but both it and all of the other matte black consoles I have lose their "new" look really quickly.

Really? I didn't know that about the green. Maybe I should take my oxbox outside some time.

Nah.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Depending on what city you live in, you might have to get a parking permit to move it outside.

Einhander on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited March 2007
    HAY GUYS!

New Details on Migrating to the Elite
    Reposted from 360a

I don't think it really gets much clearer than this:
    AVS wrote:

Source

XCN: There have been a lot of rumours that the black Xbox 360 would come with a built-in HD-DVD drive. Why have you decided to not do this, especially since PS3 comes with a built-in Blu-Ray drive?

Mike Newey: We've taken great care to listen to what our customers want, and we've heard that the majority of people do not necessarily want an HD DVD player built into their Xbox 360. The big thing for us at Xbox is to offer you as much choice as possible, so rather than forcing you to pay for an HD-DVD drive you might not want to use we have made the external Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive available. If you're keen to watch DVDs in high definition you can purchase the HD-DVD drive separately - but we're not forcing you to pay more for it if you don't want it.

Another item of note for current 360 owners considering an Elite:

XCN: Will the Elite console come with one of these migration cables?

Mike Newey: We don't think there will be a lot of current Xbox 360 owners who want to buy an Elite console and transfer data from their old 20 GB hard drive, so there will not be a migration cable bundled with the Elite console. However, we know that some current Xbox 360 owners will want to upgrade to the Elite console, so if they get in touch with us we will be more than happy to supply a migration cable free of charge.

Well thats good news.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Okay, so they will gladly send us a migration cable. But they are still silent on the DRM issue. At least we're getting somewhere.

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'd guess less. The problem with the matte black is that it tends to just look old after a while. My oxbox looks awful, for instance. I prefer the shiny, myself, even if it does get dusty.

The oxbox is actually a really, really dark green (you can tell if you hold it up to sunlight), but both it and all of the other matte black consoles I have lose their "new" look really quickly.

Really? I didn't know that about the green. Maybe I should take my oxbox outside some time.

Nah.

You can fit yours through a door? I had to build my house around it.

As for the free transfer cable - I thinks I'll just order me one of those anyway. I get the feeling Microsoft might be regretting that statement roughly ten million times :)

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited March 2007
    Threepio wrote: »

Nah.

As for the free transfer cable - I thinks I'll just order me one of those anyway. I get the feeling Microsoft might be regretting that statement roughly ten million times :)
    how much do you want to bet they will ask for the serial of your elite first?

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Ownage JonesOwnage Jones Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    syndalis wrote: »

Nah.

$0.01 :)

And the oxbox has nothing on the behemoth known as the PS3. I remember sticking it into my entertainment center and realizing that the only thing that would share space with it was the PS2. :lol:

Back on topic, I'm waiting until this hits and hopefully doesn't share the (perceived?) instability of the Premium. Then I'll get one. That $179 HD is still a rip-off though.

Ownage Jones on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Currently playing: Infamous, Resident Evil 5
    Need to play: Shadow Complex, Uncharted 2, Ratchet and Clank: ACIT, MW2, Alpha Protocol
    edited March 2007
    syndalis wrote: »

Nah.

$0.01 :)

And the oxbox has nothing on the behemoth known as the PS3. I remember sticking it into my entertainment center and realizing that the only thing that would share space with it was the PS2. :lol:

Back on topic, I'm waiting until this hits and hopefully doesn't share the (perceived?) instability of the Premium. Then I'll get one. That $179 HD is still a rip-off though.
    Yeah, it is pretty bad.

Sixkiller mad a good point in that they should practically be giving them away or subsidizing the cost, considering the bulk of what you will be storing on it is paid marketplace content.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • DJDeeJayDJDeeJay Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Well, I can say that my brother is going to be very happy come this release. I told him as a late Christmas present, that I would get him either a PC or a game console. He choose PC, so I built my self a new rig and gave him my previous (which is still a nice machine, AMD 3200, 1.5GB RAM, ATIx1900GT, etc).

Looks like he's going to get my hand me down 360 also.

It's going to be nice putting my as of yet unused HDMI port to use, along with freeing up the component for continuous use for the Wii. Plus the bigger HD drive is very nice.

Taken from Microsoft's xBox site (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/viewer.aspx?productId=1795&assetTypeId=1&shotId=0)
    360eliterb7.th.jpg

They probably just didn't show it, but it would be pretty sweet if it really doesn't have the external brick.

DJDeeJay on
    FrozenMonk.png
  • FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    oh it has the brick

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • DJDeeJayDJDeeJay Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    oh it has the brick

shazbot.

DJDeeJay on
    FrozenMonk.png
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So. I guess there's a 80GB PS3 in the pipes.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    edited March 2007
    So. I guess there's a 80GB PS3 in the pipes.

That was debunked earlier. Doesn't make sense.

Ownage Jones on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Need to play: Shadow Complex, Uncharted 2, Ratchet and Clank: ACIT, MW2, Alpha Protocol
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Aside from the fact that I feel like Microsoft has given me the proverbial finger (or the literal finger, I don't know for sure), I don't like the black all that much.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    The only part that justifies it is the 100$ cheaper big-ass HD.

Otherwise the Premium is still the best value for the dollar.

FyreWulff on
  • gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I bought a Premium a few days ago and, now that it seems Microsoft will not lower the price of the Elite, I don't feel even a little disappointed. I would buy it again in a second. The larger HDD and HDMI are not worth an extra $80. Also, the white will match my future Wii better.

gilrain on
  • superslothsupersloth Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    The only part that justifies it is the 100$ cheaper big-ass HD.

Otherwise the Premium is still the best value for the dollar.

In terms of pure economic value the elite is the better value. In terms of marginal value it's a premium/elite toss up.

supersloth on
    elsupersloth.jpg
    muh.
  • WuckFarcraftWuckFarcraft Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Sorry if this was already asked/mentioned before but is there any news/rumors going around about a price drop for the 400 dollar version?

WuckFarcraft on
  • El VientoEl Viento Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, so, turns out this thing is only using the HDMI 1.2 spec.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=10176889&&#post10176889

It doesn't support DD+, TrueHD or 5.1 PCM lossless sound. That kinda cripples it if you're a movie buff. Or like awesome sound in games.

El Viento on
    vf5bannerok6.jpg
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    El Viento wrote: »

It doesn't support DD+, TrueHD or 5.1 PCM lossless sound. That kinda cripples it if you're a movie buff. Or like awesome sound in games.

OH NOES! MY BRAIN CANDY!

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Don't think much of the console, but my next controller will def be one of those black ones. Just so I stand out a bit at big Gears matches.

ben0207 on
  • Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb.

Recoil42 on
    edited April 2007
    Recoil42 wrote: »

Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb.

Yea, that's disappointing. I wonder why? The 1.3 spec is set already. Are they planning on releasing another one with HDMI 1.3? It makes no sense.

Edit: Ok, I just read a little deeper into that thread, and he mentions that they'd started work on this one before the 1.3 HDMI was finalized...but the PS3 has it, so something doesn't mesh with that. It was finalized in June 2006.

http://www.hdmi.org/press/pr/pr_20060622.asp

Also, for those who don't know, this is what HDMI 1.3 does:
    With the adoption of Deep Color™ and the xvYCC color space, HDMI 1.3 removes the previous interface-related restrictions on color selection. The interface will no longer be a constraining pipe that forces all content to fit within a limited set of colors, unlike all previous video interfaces.

New HDMI 1.3 capabilities include:

Higher speed: HDMI 1.3 increases its single-link bandwidth from 165MHz (4.95 gigabits per second) to 340 MHz (10.2 Gbps) to support the demands of future high definition display devices, such as higher resolutions, Deep Color™ and high frame rates. In addition, built into the HDMI 1.3 specification is the technical foundation that will let future versions of HDMI reach significantly higher speeds.
    Deep color: HDMI 1.3 supports 30-bit, 36-bit and 48-bit (RGB or YCbCr) color depths, up from the 24-bit depths in previous versions of the HDMI specification.
    o
    Lets HDTVs and other displays go from millions of colors to billions of colors
    o
    Eliminates on-screen color banding, for smooth tonal transitions and subtle gradations between colors
    o
    Enables increased contrast ratio
    o
    Can represent many times more shades of gray between black and white. At 30-bit pixel depth, four times more shades of gray would be the minimum, and the typical improvement would be eight times or more
    Broader color space: HDMI 1.3 removes virtually all limits on color selection.
    o
    Next-generation “xvYCC” color space supports 1.8 times as many colors as existing HDTV signals
    o
    Lets HDTVs display colors more accurately
    o
    Enables displays with more natural and vivid colors
    New mini connector: With small portable devices such as HD camcorders and still cameras demanding seamless connectivity to HDTVs, HDMI 1.3 offers a new, smaller form factor connector option.
    Lip Sync: Because consumer electronics devices are using increasingly complex digital signal processing to enhance the clarity and detail of the content, synchronization of video and audio in user devices has become a greater challenge and could potentially require complex end-user adjustments. HDMI 1.3 incorporates an automatic audio/video synching capability that allows devices to perform this synchronization automatically with accuracy.
    New lossless audio formats: In addition to HDMI’s current ability to support high-bandwidth uncompressed digital audio and currently-available compressed formats (such as Dolby® Digital and DTS), HDMI 1.3 adds additional support for new, lossless compressed digital audio formats Dolby® TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio™.

For the majority of folks who pick up an HDTV later in the year, it will probably have this. It's not a deal-breaker, but would've been nice.

Ownage Jones on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SpikedFreakSpikedFreak Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    does 1.3 support true 1080p?

SpikedFreak on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007

... what's wrong with optical, exactly?

I guess I'll never understand.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

HD-DVD spec does not support losseless PCM audio like Blu-Ray. The same probably goes for some of the rest. I dunno if no spec support means no player support on alternate streams, but I doubt it.
    Shadowfire wrote: »

... what's wrong with optical, exactly?

I guess I'll never understand.

Umm, a lot. For one, not many switchers switch optical and DVI together. HDMI fixes that.

CZroe on
  • CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Recoil42 wrote: »

Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb.

Yea, that's disappointing. I wonder why? The 1.3 spec is set already. Are they planning on releasing another one with HDMI 1.3? It makes no sense.

Edit: Ok, I just read a little deeper into that thread, and he mentions that they'd started work on this one before the 1.3 HDMI was finalized...but the PS3 has it, so something doesn't mesh with that. It was finalized in June 2006.

http://www.hdmi.org/press/pr/pr_20060622.asp

Also, for those who don't know, this is what HDMI 1.3 does:
    With the adoption of Deep Color™ and the xvYCC color space, HDMI 1.3 removes the previous interface-related restrictions on color selection. The interface will no longer be a constraining pipe that forces all content to fit within a limited set of colors, unlike all previous video interfaces.

New HDMI 1.3 capabilities include:

Higher speed: HDMI 1.3 increases its single-link bandwidth from 165MHz (4.95 gigabits per second) to 340 MHz (10.2 Gbps) to support the demands of future high definition display devices, such as higher resolutions, Deep Color™ and high frame rates. In addition, built into the HDMI 1.3 specification is the technical foundation that will let future versions of HDMI reach significantly higher speeds.
    Deep color: HDMI 1.3 supports 30-bit, 36-bit and 48-bit (RGB or YCbCr) color depths, up from the 24-bit depths in previous versions of the HDMI specification.
    o
    Lets HDTVs and other displays go from millions of colors to billions of colors
    o
    Eliminates on-screen color banding, for smooth tonal transitions and subtle gradations between colors
    o
    Enables increased contrast ratio
    o
    Can represent many times more shades of gray between black and white. At 30-bit pixel depth, four times more shades of gray would be the minimum, and the typical improvement would be eight times or more
    Broader color space: HDMI 1.3 removes virtually all limits on color selection.
    o
    Next-generation “xvYCC” color space supports 1.8 times as many colors as existing HDTV signals
    o
    Lets HDTVs display colors more accurately
    o
    Enables displays with more natural and vivid colors
    New mini connector: With small portable devices such as HD camcorders and still cameras demanding seamless connectivity to HDTVs, HDMI 1.3 offers a new, smaller form factor connector option.
    Lip Sync: Because consumer electronics devices are using increasingly complex digital signal processing to enhance the clarity and detail of the content, synchronization of video and audio in user devices has become a greater challenge and could potentially require complex end-user adjustments. HDMI 1.3 incorporates an automatic audio/video synching capability that allows devices to perform this synchronization automatically with accuracy.
    New lossless audio formats: In addition to HDMI’s current ability to support high-bandwidth uncompressed digital audio and currently-available compressed formats (such as Dolby® Digital and DTS), HDMI 1.3 adds additional support for new, lossless compressed digital audio formats Dolby® TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio™.

For the majority of folks who pick up an HDTV later in the year, it will probably have this. It's not a deal-breaker, but would've been nice.

Other than Deep Color, the audio and sync features are really more of a feature for your HDMI receiver than your display. All that other crap is just saying that they tightened up the signal tolerances for the spec to guarantee that level of performance (IOW, "only well-made cables meeting these specs may apply"). Obviously, many HDMI1.1 cables exceed the 1.3 signal specifications, but they can't "prove it" to the device without being HDMI 1.3.
    does 1.3 support true 1080p?

All HDMI specifications support 1080p. 1.3 only added DeepColor and some more signaling crap (audio sync with a video processor's delay by informing the 1.3 compliant device of the video latency over the HDMI cable).

The step didn't go from 1.2 to 1.3/ There's a 1.2a in there too. ;)

CZroe on