As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Malstrom (Wii Disruption guy) takes on Tycho!

1235»

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2009
    Anyone who so much as posts a curt comment on their boards will be banned from these ones.

Tube on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Fuck. After all his stupid rants against digital distribution, this blog post is fucking priceless.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Anyway, once Infinity Ward decided that promoting the use of homophobic slurs in their advertising for the game was a good idea the substandard multiplayer options dropped down a peg or two on the list of reasons not to buy the game.

Oh? Where was this?

Edit: And we need more Malstrom kicking in this thread. The man is a walking embodiment of fail.

Sorry, should have included a link or explanation there.

Infinity Ward recently put out a promo for MW2 on their youtube channel (and promoted it on their various facebook/twitter accounts) that was a faux PSA about grenade spamming, calling grenade spammers "pussies" then at the end had "brought to you by Fight Against Grenade Spam" or F.A.G.S.

Even ignoring the last "joke" it wasn't really funny. To me, a video game developer should be trying to eliminate the homophobia and racism in their online communities, not condone their behaviour. Playing online with random people is already pretty bad in this respect, a developer giving such behaviour a free pass seems insanely stupid to me. I can't begin to fathom how they thought it would be a good or even acceptable thing to do.

They've since pulled the video, but haven't offered any public apologies yet afaik. Bowling posted some half hearted things on his twitter but he just skirted round the issue and never really condemned the language. "I think it was more of a social commentary joke of that stereotype than it was a fist-bump of acceptance to it." and "I think the core gag is great, the end is a bit too far from the intent of the joke & can appreciate the concerns. Pulled." I would have at least expected something along the lines of "IW in no way endorses or condones homophobia" but they don't seem to care or be concerned. So fuck them.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I guess I've just become desensitized to that kind of thing within the context of games. Its so prevalent, particularly in online gaming, that a type of player being called a pussy or the group calling another group pussies are fags just doesn't scream "Oh, hell no."

Hell, go into SE++

This is odd, since in any other medium or context I would find it ignorant and offensive.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    JudgementJudgement Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Dear -SPI-,

True Hardcore gamers tend to use language in-game and on the internet that is normally not socially acceptable. Reasons tend to vary from gamer to gamer, but the most common two for shooter fans(aka those who like quick and easy satisfaction) are (a) They are college douchebags who couldn't beat Puzzle Quests tutorial level and (b) the safety and comfort of knowing they can't be touched or punished for what they say. This leads developers to try and appeal to the majority within certain gaming groups by using language they're naturally comfortable with.

I wouldn't have expected an apology for it, and actually would've been very surprised if they had. They tried to relate to their "audience" and failed miserably with their inherently stupid message. But in their attempt they used "gamer lingo" and thus have no reason to apologize(while admitting they messed up). It's sad, I know, but I can expect such incidents to increase in the future, as the Internet is a wonderful thing that lets you play pretend every once in a while.

the worst Spy in history,
    Ray(Judgement)naga.

Judgement on
    309151-1.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I....I'm a spy?

Do I get a cool car?

Raynaga on
  • Options
    JudgementJudgement Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Raynaga wrote: »
    I....I'm a spy?

Do I get a cool car?

Team Fortress 2 joke, my friend.

And no, no cool cars for bad spies.

Judgement on
    309151-1.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Dammit, I always wanted an Aston Martin.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'm wondering how Malstrom will explain this.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    Everybody's down this year.

You should how much the music games dropped.

consoleperf1.png

I mean I guess Nintendo's cash pillows will just be slightly less comfortable this year.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    XaevXaev Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Everybody's down this year.

You should how much the music games dropped.

consoleperf1.png

I mean I guess Nintendo's cash pillows will just be slightly less comfortable this year.

That doesn't look like Nintendo or Microsoft's profits are down, it looks like they just went up more slowly.

Xaev on
    Steam - Lysus || XBL - Veax || PSN - Lysus || WoW - Lysus (Korgath - US) || Guild Wars - Lysus Yjirkar || Starcraft II - Lysus.781 || League of Legends - Lysus
    Feel free to add me on whatever network, it's always more fun to play with people than alone
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    We're solidly between console releases at the moment as well.

What actually surprises me about that graph is how slowly Microsoft is regaining ground. I'd have thought they were doing better than that this cycle. Of course I guess compared to last cycle they are doing much better :P

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm actually all for PC's no longer being a gaming machine, or atleast to not have any PC exclusives. I hate the hassle of making sure I have the right specs for something, then updating. I like having a simple "Do I own the correct machine for this: Y/N". And I'm pretty sure the argument could be made one way or another, but I always found a certain elitism in pc gamers that really turned me off from it.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Eh, for me making sure my PC has the right specs isn't a whole lot more than "CPU, RAM and GPU outdated? No? Ok, good to go."

But if I could plug a keyboard and mouse into a console and have them work reliably I probably wouldn't care if PC gaming faded away. Until then though I very much hope the PC remains a viable gaming machine for at least RTS/FPS games.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Eh, for me making sure my PC has the right specs isn't a whole lot more than "CPU, RAM and GPU outdated? No? Ok, good to go."

Then thank Microsoft. Before DirectX, it was a nightmare to play games.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Good lord, I still remember trying to get Quake to work on one of my old computers.

Part of it involved buying my first graphics card. And I didn't have the internet to help out. Bad old days.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited November 2009

I've been playing PC games since Sopwith so yeah, I'm aware :P

HappylilElf on