As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Computer Issues after Windows 7 installation

ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I need to bounce some ideas off the lot of you.

Issue 1

I completed a Windows 7 installation this morning after formatting my C drive which had XP on it.

The installation seemed to complete successfully, but during the initial Windows Update my monitor went on standby and my USB devices turned off. I was a little concerned, but monitors going to standby after a Win7 upgrade seemed a pretty common issue on Google. I attempted to reboot, but neither button on the tower would get the system to respond, so I cut the power at the back.

Turned the machine on, booted to Windows and updated/activated windows. I also got MSE installed for antivirus. When I began my installation of Chrome, the monitor once again went on standby and all USB devices turned off.

Cut the power again, rebooted and went to power save features and told it basically to never turn off certain devices. Went and installed Steam, and the issue repeated itself about halfway through the installation of Borderlands.

Issue 2

I have 2 hard drives on my machine. Drive C on which 7 is installed, and drive E, which my software/junk drive. They look fine in Windows. If I tell the system to boot from drive C, it says "BOOTMGR not found" but will boot fine if I select drive E. Now, when I went to do a repair installation of Windows, it only detected a valid installation on drive D, which is my optical drive.

I did a Bootrec /RebuildBcd from a command prompt in the repair screen, and it only detects Windows on D.

Issue 3

I shut down my computer after doing that because Windows had told me that my Cable Tuner card was not compatible with 7. I removed the card from my PC, and also unplugged the secondary hard drive I was using because I wanted to see if I could get the system to boot only from C. Now the machine does not post.

All lights in the case turn on. CPU fan and case fans spin. Video card fan spins for a moment and stops. The power LEDs are not on on the MB, but the power button for the MB will turn the system on. I cut the power again and remounted all components, and also attmpted to boot with each stick of RAM itself.

The only thing I can think of is I managed to short the MB with all the hard cuts I had to do to the power, but the final shut down was through the system.

Any ideas?

Artereis on

• ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well I purchased a new power supply and still no posting. Hopefully Newegg will rescue me when the new motherboard arrives.

Artereis on
  • Torque MonkeyTorque Monkey Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Does your board have video integrated, or just your video card for an output? If it is integrated, unplug every peripheral(HDD, Optical, Video, any PCI devices and extra memory) and attempt to POST. If still nothing, have you reset the CMOS?

Torque Monkey on
    Gojira2.png
  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Did you check your RAM? I had really bizarre issues installing stuff when one of my RAM sticks went bad. Eventually my system just stopped posting but that took a month or two.

shadowane on
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    No integrated video, and I attempted to boot with each DIMM. The motherbord power LEDs are dead, so I'm really leaning toward it being the issue.

It survived a couple PSU deaths in the past. I think it finally gave up the ghost. The new MB should arrive in a day or two, so I'll know for sure then.

Artereis on
  • TopweaselTopweasel Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ignore drive letters you have mentally assigned to drives. Chances are when you installed Windows 7 it saw a different drive in SATA or IDE 0 and that became the primary drive. This would be where the MBR is stored, from that point on it doesn't matter what partition of what drive you installed, that drive must be the drive to boot from.

For Example I have a Raptor 160GB, 1TB Hitachi, and a 1.5TB Seagate. If windows 7 sees the 1 TB Hitachi as Drive 0 then that is where the MBR is stored even if I installed Windows onto the first partition of the Raptor 160GB drive. Now the partition that I installed windows on might show up as C: and the only partition on the Hitachi might show up as E: but technically I would be booting from E: (the Hitachi) while the files are loading from C:(the Raptor).

Drive assignments are second to actual Hardware assignments. This is why you should only install Windows with only 1 HDD and one Optical drive.

Topweasel on
  • TopweaselTopweasel Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Artereis wrote: »
    No integrated video, and I attempted to boot with each DIMM. The motherbord power LEDs are dead, so I'm really leaning toward it being the issue.

It survived a couple PSU deaths in the past. I think it finally gave up the ghost. The new MB should arrive in a day or two, so I'll know for sure then.

If you have a paper clip you can plug the power in and "hotwire" the computer power switch to see if power supply is actually working without having any thing plugged into the computer. Even if your sure the Power Supply is working its good to give this a shot just to make sure, because even boards with all sorts of power issues tend to still get power to the power LED's unless some capacitors have exploded.

If you can tell me what the Model number is of you Power Supply I can tell you what pins to short together.

Topweasel on