As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

a

GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
edited August 2017 in MMO Extravaganza

GPIA7R on

• MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I role played a lot more in SWG than I think I have in any other MMO. Maybe that was because of lack of content or lack of me wanting to look at their content and make up my own. I was a Twi'lek TK dancer so I said that my skills dancing had always lead to me being a rather good TK, and would mix my dance moves into fighting (RP wise) etc. There was another person I was friends with who RP'ed as my long lost sister and we danced together in our city's cantina which was really good just to goof off with.

I've wrote a few stories about my characters in WoW, none of which are actually worth sharing, but yeah playing a part is sometimes just as fun if not more than the real game.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I RP'ed more when I was younger. For some reason, I don't care to anymore. It's probably because to a large percentage of the people that play these games roleplaying = "Make the cheesiest, most over the top, played out, cliche RP personality I can, and run with it until it does a horrible, slow death". The ones who sit in The Park in SW and RP in Ye Ole English are part of the group I am talking about, especially since not once in any Warcraft game did anyone talk in old english.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited August 2017

GPIA7R on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Now- Disclaimer. I don't actually RP in WoW. However, I DEFINITELY spend at least as much time as The Muffin Man does on his characters.

Each one of my 'toons' must have a convincing enough history in order for me to play them.

Hamcrusher, my main character, is a Dwarf Priest. I got his name from Thud by Terry Pratchett, as he is one of the first 'grags' (dwarven spiritual leaders) to be murdered. His death arguably allows an unnamed evil to enter into the land. Thus, I am a dwarven shadow priest. He is very racist, especially toward trolls, who he views as "horrible savages".

My paladin is ALSO kind of a dick. He is supposed to be a caricature of a fundamentalist religious crusader. He HATES orcs, the scourge, and distrusts anything but Dwarves. And he only trusts dwarves because of their love of money, meaning that they can be depended on to be slightly greedy and love to explore. Of course, by exploring new land you also get to CLAIM that new land FOR THE ALLIANCE. He LOVES Varian Wrynn.

I am struggling with my death knight, because I KIND of want him to be a gnome. Right now he just lacks...motivation. As a gnome, my idea was for him to have been a leper gnome who Arthas promised a 'cure' for. Arthas sensed his power, and decided he would make a fit lieutenant. Once he regained his mind he realized that he could now ALSO control the diseases in his blood, allowing him to re-join the alliance.

Right now all my DK IS though is a dwarf paladin who has come back fueled by unholy power and bent on wiping out the scourge. It lacks so much.

My best achievement, however, is going to be my gnome warrior "Cogwhistle". As soon as I get the badges, I am snagging him a Lava Dredger and RP'ing him as a "Gnome Engineer" to the fullest. Gear-based weaponry, plate armor, bombs, a helicopter, and a motorcycle.

Arch on
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I RP'ed more when I was younger. For some reason, I don't care to anymore. It's probably because to a large percentage of the people that play these games roleplaying = "Make the cheesiest, most over the top, played out, cliche RP personality I can, and run with it until it does a horrible, slow death". The ones who sit in The Park in SW and RP in Ye Ole English are part of the group I am talking about, especially since not once in any Warcraft game did anyone talk in old english.

Its always been this way. Along with many RPers being into creepy ERPing, a large proportion are into it for self-insertion fantasies. Like being a cyborg night elf with super strength, or an immortal wizard from another world. Not making those ones up.

I gave RP a shot back in the early days of WoW. Thing is, I'm not really the type to sit around. I usually make personalities for my characters, but I haven't really played in character for years, mostly because no one else does and MMORPGs are fucking terrible for this sort of thing. Also, most people who do RP are into ERP, which is creepy.

I actually had some really good experiences before the massive influx of new players/active destruction of server communities by Blizzard around the time of TBC. The only MMO character I've really RP'd to any extent is my paladin in WoW, I didn't start off as an RPer, I just ended up joining a guild that was run by a guy who played in character, and then joined a major RP guild after that one collapsed. In fact, if I had started WoW with TBC, I likely never would have done any RP at all, because most people had given it up to go GRINDAN. I actually probably had the most fun playing in character back in the days before I ever knew what a raid was and those will be my best MMO memories by far.

Anyway, I like this topic, I think I'll share my story, but it'll take a while to type up.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited November 2009

Its always been this way. Along with many RPers being into creepy ERPing, a large proportion are into it for self-insertion fantasies. Like being a cyborg night elf with super strength, or an immortal wizard from another world. Not making those ones up.

I gave RP a shot back in the early days of WoW. Thing is, I'm not really the type to sit around. I usually make personalities for my characters, but I haven't really played in character for years, mostly because no one else does and MMORPGs are fucking terrible for this sort of thing. Also, most people who do RP are into ERP, which is creepy.

I actually had some really good experiences before the massive influx of new players/active destruction of server communities by Blizzard around the time of TBC. The only MMO character I've really RP'd to any extent is my paladin in WoW, I didn't start off as an RPer, I just ended up joining a guild that was run by a guy who played in character, and then joined a major RP guild after that one collapsed. In fact, if I had started WoW with TBC, I likely never would have done any RP at all, because most people had given it up to go GRINDAN. I actually probably had the most fun playing in character back in the days before I ever knew what a raid was and those will be my best MMO memories by far.

Anyway, I like this topic, I think I'll share my story, but it'll take a while to type up.

This is really really my problem. I just want to play in character, and it is strange that MMO's are really bad for this. Unless it is champions. But, I am a lifer for a reason.

Arch on
    edited November 2009
    Ok- now I KNOW that there are some people on these boards who are ON RP servers, and who raid a lot. Do you guys play characters or is it an occasional thing? are you just 'rp-friendly?'

What I am saying is I want both raiding AND RP. Less "ok moar dots. move out of fires. ok increase heals. ok rape the boss. Ok loot him." and more...I dont know...character play without it being YAR YAR HUMP HUMP

Arch on
    edited August 2017

GPIA7R on
    edited November 2009
    Arch wrote: »
    Ok- now I KNOW that there are some people on these boards who are ON RP servers, and who raid a lot. Do you guys play characters or is it an occasional thing? are you just 'rp-friendly?'

What I am saying is I want both raiding AND RP. Less "ok moar dots. move out of fires. ok increase heals. ok rape the boss. Ok loot him." and more...I dont know...character play without it being YAR YAR HUMP HUMP

I think that some people consider Vent as OOC when it comes to that, and stuff you type in /say is for RP purposes.

I don't think I could go so far as to RP in vent.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I have generally put time and effort into character names when I play MMOs (or any sort of free-range single player game akin to Oblivion), as well as some general basic character stuffs. The exception is when I'm learning the MMO in particular, or my only interest in the game is to play with people who I know damn well aren't going to give a damn for RP.

Not that I seek RP to fill the entirety of the gameplay, but sometimes it's amusing. I guess it's my need to build a narrative.

It's why I crave Star Wars: TOR so damn much, because I want this story thing to play out. My hope is that I'll get involved with a guild with a mix of people willing to at least RP a little, and we'll get into genuine arguments about decisions to make, actions to take, etc.

The unfortunate thing about RP is that it stops being fun once you know the layout of the story and plot. I think it's more fun finding things out for the first time or being caught off guard by them and having to react on the spot appropriately to the character.

Henroid on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I RP'd a lot back in pre-Trammel UO in some of the swank taverns in the urban sprawl past Minoc. No Olde Englishe dialogue, even though that's how every NPC talked in the game, just a lot of in-character stuff. It was easy to RP a bouncer or keeper of the peace at a bar that was actually being run as a bar because UO allowed for that kind of thing.

After that, I did a little bit of RPing in Asheron's Call, but beyond that and a little bit of in-character dialogue in teams in City of Heroes, I'm pretty much just in the same boat as GnomeTank:
    I RP'ed more when I was younger. For some reason, I don't care to anymore. It's probably because to a large percentage of the people that play these games roleplaying = "Make the cheesiest, most over the top, played out, cliche RP personality I can, and run with it until it does a horrible, slow death".

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    edited November 2009
    MoSiAc wrote: »

I think that some people consider Vent as OOC when it comes to that, and stuff you type in /say is for RP purposes.

Well, what I am saying is I want a guild that will use "say" and emotes for things other than /e has slapped your ass! Good hustle son!

over
    and over
    and overrrr

Arch on
    edited November 2009
    Damnit GPIA7R. I need an alliance- side RP friendly guild for my gnome death knight!

Arch on
    edited November 2009

Well, what I am saying is I want a guild that will use "say" and emotes for things other than /e has slapped your ass! Good hustle son!

over
    and over
    and overrrr

I understand where you're coming from, honestly if I felt I had any leadership abilities I might even think of trying to start a guild on an RP server for just that ideal, but I lack in motivation and am sure it would fall apart.

MoSiAc on
  • TheTishTheTish Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I guess I RP a bit. It seems to just happen naturally to me really. Tisha is the cute giggly girl deep inside me i suppose. I jump around, giggle, and go nuts for cute critters.

Within that giggly little girl is a dark mischievous evil which likes to kill things. :winky:

TheTish on
    sig-1117080.jpg
    -- Gnome mage enchantress and inscriptionologist... er scribbler --
    sig-1497520.jpg
    sig-1497534.jpg
    edited November 2009
    I do usually play a female character when I play MMO's since I'm a guy that can be marked as a type of RP. Course it also gets me marked for a bunch of other things. Though I'm not gay, or a tranny, or anything to that extent.

I just think I get to act a little different, let my character laugh a little more often. Maybe I make a negative image for female game characters, but when I play a girl I seem to take things way less serious.

MoSiAc on
  • eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Furries?

In my MMORPGS?

Get out of here!

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
    edited November 2009

I've pvp'd in character, I've never raided in character. By the time I started raiding, I actually had pretty much stopped RPing, because, entirely in character, I had estranged myself from pretty much any guild. :lol: My character was nearly unlikable.

So anyway, the only character I ever played in character for long (I played my two trolls, Doktari and Draksajin IC occasionally) was my paladin on Cenarion Circle, Viscira. She still exists, though I'll likely never play WoW again. The game simply no longer has any of the things that initially drew me to it.

She was basically a total psychopath. Not in a lolrandom way, but in a very deliberate "cleanse the lands of undesirables" way. She had a consuming, burning hatred of all enemies of Stormwind, as well as most of its allies. About the only things she didn't hate were Dwarfs and Gnomes, and Trolls, which she saw as worthy enemies. She especially loathed warlocks and the forsaken, who hid behind pretenses of being "good guys".

I specifically went out of my way to avoid all the usual pitfalls of RP characters. My paladin was not particularly strong (though, in game terms, certainly not weak, had decent blue gear and this was before warriors and warlocks were buffed), had no super natural abilities other than class basics, and no particularly unusual background (Commoner, though she despised commoners, especially after becoming a knight, and then Commander).

The initial problem lay in the fact that my guild, Sisters of Mercy, was fairly pacifist, and my character didn't really fit. The only reason I was really in it was because when the core of the guild left to join the earliest raiding guilds, I, along with one other member, were the only people who remained to rebuild it into one of the most respected RP guilds.

This character's style was frequent raids into horde territory, leaving trails of dead quest givers, guards, npcs, and anything else horde related. This was accompanied by long, sometimes eloquent rants about the undead, warlocks, orcs, and other enemies in guild chat. Eventually, after one particular gruesome raid, that involved most of Kalimdor, and got some realm forum response from hordies, the guild leader (Ehlina, who probably still plays) gave me an ultimatum: stop the massacres or leave the guild. This was taken as a personal affront, since my character saw herself as one of the reason's for the guild's very existence. But, not only this, she saw Ehlina as basically her only friend. After much brooding, she left the guild, then summoned Ehlina to meeting and challenged her to a duel to the death. My character was defeated (I purposely wore RP gear though, there was basically no way I could have lost if I wore my normal gear. Paladin vs. Warrior?) and demanded that Ehlina kill her, which she refused, leaving my character stunned.

That particular fight and IC conflict (I still kept in contact with the player afterwards, though I could obviously never rejoin the guild) is my personal favourite RP storyline, and I did it entirely without any meta-gaming or letting the other players know OOC what I was doing. That sort of IC drama is great, but the OOC shit I got from horde characters really pissed me off, and helped contribute to my eventual ceasing of roleplaying. From what I hear, horde players who played villains also got the same sort of OOC shit.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Oh, and RP is dead in WoW because of all the people who automatically think you want to cybersex them or something. It's like:
    "Hail, sister druid."
    "oh my, you're a grizzly looking man... want to come over to my place?"
    "OOC: What?"
    "OOC: a/s/l?"

Henroid on
    edited November 2009
    I do usually play a female character when I play MMO's since I'm a guy that can be marked as a type of RP. Course it also gets me marked for a bunch of other things. Though I'm not gay, or a tranny, or anything to that extent.

I just think I get to act a little different, let my character laugh a little more often. Maybe I make a negative image for female game characters, but when I play a girl I seem to take things way less serious.

Don't look too much into it- the OP only plays women. And he is a fag...i mean guy

guy

Arch on
    edited November 2009

I've pvp'd in character, I've never raided in character. By the time I started raiding, I actually had pretty much stopped RPing, because, entirely in character, I had estranged myself from pretty much any guild. :lol: My character was nearly unlikable.

So anyway, the only character I ever played in character for long (I played my two trolls, Doktari and Draksajin IC occasionally) was my paladin on Cenarion Circle, Viscira. She still exists, though I'll likely never play WoW again. The game simply no longer has any of the things that initially drew me to it.

She was basically a total psychopath. Not in a lolrandom way, but in a very deliberate "cleanse the lands of undesirables" way. She had a consuming, burning hatred of all enemies of Stormwind, as well as most of its allies. About the only things she didn't hate were Dwarfs and Gnomes, and Trolls, which she saw as worthy enemies. She especially loathed warlocks and the forsaken, who hid behind pretenses of being "good guys".

I specifically went out of my way to avoid all the usual pitfalls of RP characters. My paladin was not particularly strong (though, in game terms, certainly not weak, had decent blue gear and this was before warriors and warlocks were buffed), had no super natural abilities other than class basics, and no particularly unusual background (Commoner, though she despised commoners, especially after becoming a knight, and then Commander).

The initial problem lay in the fact that my guild, Sisters of Mercy, was fairly pacifist, and my character didn't really fit. The only reason I was really in it was because when the core of the guild left to join the earliest raiding guilds, I, along with one other member, were the only people who remained to rebuild it into one of the most respected RP guilds.

This character's style was frequent raids into horde territory, leaving trails of dead quest givers, guards, npcs, and anything else horde related. This was accompanied by long, sometimes eloquent rants about the undead, warlocks, orcs, and other enemies in guild chat. Eventually, after one particular gruesome raid, that involved most of Kalimdor, and got some realm forum response from hordies, the guild leader (Ehlina, who probably still plays) gave me an ultimatum: stop the massacres or leave the guild. This was taken as a personal affront, since my character saw herself as one of the reason's for the guild's very existence. But, not only this, she saw Ehlina as basically her only friend. After much brooding, she left the guild, then summoned Ehlina to meeting and challenged her to a duel to the death. My character was defeated (I purposely wore RP gear though, there was basically no way I could have lost if I wore my normal gear. Paladin vs. Warrior?) and demanded that Ehlina kill her, which she refused, leaving my character stunned.

That particular fight and IC conflict (I still kept in contact with the player afterwards, though I could obviously never rejoin the guild) is my personal favourite RP storyline, and I did it entirely without any meta-gaming or letting the other players know OOC what I was doing. That sort of IC drama is great, but the OOC shit I got from horde characters really pissed me off, and helped contribute to my eventual ceasing of roleplaying. From what I hear, horde players who played villains also got the same sort of OOC shit.

Holy shit. EPIC. Also- your paladin has the EXACT same story as mine, you just said it better. However, my paladin KNOWS he is hot shit because he can toss the light around (or at least THINKS he is) and thus, since he has gained the "light" he believes all other races that haven't been blessed by the Light (meaning, can't be paladins) are inferior. Draeni, Dwarves, and Humans should be the only ones in the Alliance, according to him. He is going to be so confused when tauren can be paladin.

Arch on
    edited November 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    Oh, and RP is dead in WoW because of all the people who automatically think you want to cybersex them or something. It's like:
    "Hail, sister druid."

In WAR, you actually get angry, furious rants from neckbeards when people use the orcspeak mod about how much they hate roleplayers. Its kind of sad. The haters are still playing a game where they are pretending to be an elf.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited November 2009
    "Hail, sister druid."

In WAR, you actually get angry, furious rants from neckbeards when people use the orcspeak mod about how much they hate roleplayers. Its kind of sad. The haters are still playing a game where they are pretending to be an elf.

Oh god. There is an orcspeak mod. That makes me REALLY REALLY want to play WAR now.

Seriously, a game with THAT much fertile ground for AMAZING characters and people get pissy about orcspeak?

Arch on
    edited August 2017

GPIA7R on
    edited November 2009
    I would like some RP guilds that only have one class like a guild of Druids that have some Cenarion type deal going on, or a guild of just paladins. You know some hybrid class that can actually progress in the game, but a really good feeling of group to the whole thing.

MoSiAc on
  • NeylaNeyla Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

There were raids on Feathermoon that were lead by Rp'ers. As in no vent, all typed out, in character. Nothing can compare to an angry dwarf telling night elves what to do while drunk... I should of kept a screen shot of that chat log. Best time I ever had in SSC :)

Neyla on
    13142111181576.png
    edited November 2009
    Holy shit. EPIC. Also- your paladin has the EXACT same story as mine, you just said it better. However, my paladin KNOWS he is hot shit because he can toss the light around (or at least THINKS he is) and thus, since he has gained the "light" he believes all other races that haven't been blessed by the Light (meaning, can't be paladins) are inferior. Draeni, Dwarves, and Humans should be the only ones in the Alliance, according to him. He is going to be so confused when tauren can be paladin.

I forgot and left out the part afterwards where my character began a solo crusade against the night elves. I don't even remember her reasoning for it anymore. Lets just say that when I wanted to start doing raids in Silithus, I encountered difficulties. D:

Anyhow, on an amusing note, when I joined the premier raiding guild on my server back in vanilla, one week they decided to bring along a particularly loud forum troll to a BWL farming run for the hell of it and gear him up. However, before inviting him, the guild leaders set up the rules: all info in raid chat, and ventrilo was to be RP only. One of the rogues was disturbingly good at faux olde English.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • TlexTlex Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've played with 2 semi hardcore/hardcore guilds both on RP servers in WoW, and my experiences were pretty similar on both. The general rule is that while you're in raids, everything is OOC, but when you're out of raids you have to abide by realm policies, and not intentionally disturb RP'ers.

Tlex on
    edited November 2009
    Neyla wrote: »

There were raids on Feathermoon that were lead by Rp'ers. As in no vent, all typed out, in character. Nothing can compare to an angry dwarf telling night elves what to do while drunk... I should of kept a screen shot of that chat log. Best time I ever had in SSC :)

Does....do things like this still go on? If so I am SERIOUSLY making a gnome death knight on your server (see earlier bio).

Arch on
    edited November 2009
    Highly, highly doubtful. RP servers were drastically different in the early days of WoW.

Its always possible, though. There are still people who do their best to RP in MMOs.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    I once met a player that went on a personal crusade to rid the RP server of anyone that didn't RP. They reported people constantly. I can't possibly see how anyone could enjoy playing like that.

These are the same people that go around and report every 15 year old they see standing on the side walk, because they must be doing something "sinful" and deserve to be punished. Or the old lady on your street that reports every single HOA violation you have, because she thinks it's her job to teach others a lesson (I really have one of these, so I started reporting every tiny, even might be, HOA violation she has, and she seems to have stopped with the insanity).

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • NeylaNeyla Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Neyla wrote: »

Does....do things like this still go on? If so I am SERIOUSLY making a gnome death knight on your server (see earlier bio).

I don't know honestly. Since my guild turned towards more progression I have lost touch with the RPing community. I haven't even peeked at the wow forums lately. There usually some story line posted there as well as roleplaying events (ie Azeroth Old World Tours i believe it was called).

I will look into it though, I know a few guilds around that are RP and see what they still do.

But as a side note, I recently had a discussion with a friend about RP being dead on the server. He mentioned that Flag RSP is still a highly used tool for finding/interacting with other Rp'ers. I may start using that add-on again on my newly made warrior and see if it works :)

Neyla on
    13142111181576.png
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I have a hard time viewing roleplaying in MMORPGs, RP Server or no, as anything more than a joke. Mostly because I don't believe that simply sitting down and saying "I'm going to roleplay" is enough to cultivate a well characterized...character. You need an element outside your control, and I don't just mean mobs. The worlds of MMORPGs are static, unchanging, immersion-breakingly-groundhogs-day-esque in how the clock keeps turning back on plots. People talking to you and saying words you can't control doesn't really account for the entirety of what I'm saying either, reacting to just words is a flimsy test of character. Or at least an incomplete one.

Without a DM who is not you you have total control over what is going on and are, in effect, just writing fanfiction and occasionally using the fanfics of others. An actual DM cultivates situations to test you, his own curiosity, and forces you to estimate how this persona would react on the fly through actions.

MMORPGs just can't do that.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
    edited November 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    I have a hard time viewing roleplaying in MMORPGs, RP Server or no, as anything more than a joke. Mostly because I don't believe that simply sitting down and saying "I'm going to roleplay" is enough to cultivate a well characterized...character. You need an element outside your control, and I don't just mean mobs. The worlds of MMORPGs are static, unchanging, immersion-breakingly-groundhogs-day-esque in how the clock keeps turning back on plots. People talking to you and saying words you can't control doesn't really account for the entirety of what I'm saying either, reacting to just words is a flimsy test of character. Or at least an incomplete one.

Without a DM who is not you you have total control over what is going on and are, in effect, just writing fanfiction and occasionally using the fanfics of others. An actual DM cultivates situations to test you, his own curiosity, and forces you to estimate how this persona would react on the fly through actions.

If you want that sort of experience in a video game, you are pretty much limited to the fugly spectacle that is neverwinter nights.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited November 2009
    "Hail, sister druid."

I've seen people get mad at other people for writing out accents in speech, like for trolls or dwarves (in WoW).

Henroid on
    edited November 2009

If you want that sort of experience in a video game, you are pretty much limited to the fugly spectacle that is neverwinter nights.

Yep. The graphics didn't bother me personally, but I would still love to see another game like it one day.

Fiaryn on
    edited November 2009

Yep. The graphics didn't bother me personally, but I would still love to see another game like it one day.

On the other hand, I couldn't have done half the stuff that defined my character in a game like NWN. My constant RP-PVP, city raids, and other large events against actual people. Or the large world to roam around in.

Plus, I actually loved the pvp from a purely gameplay perspective.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited November 2009

On the other hand, I couldn't have done half the stuff that defined my character in a game like NWN. My constant RP-PVP, city raids, and other large events against actual people. Or the large world to roam around in.

Yes you could have :)

You may not have played on them, but more than one NWN1 server attained all or most of those things. The ones I personally frequented didn't cater to the former two much, but they were most certainly out there and well populated.

Fiaryn on
  • KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

I'm with you on the bolded part especially. I mean, I can never talk to anyone about where I picked something cool up or what I've killed or made due to the fact that it's supposed to be a unique item or a significant, one time event. It seriously hampers things. I could never say that I've killed The Dragon even if I have because chances are my friend's killed The Dragon too and that's really not OK to talk about.

Kazaka on
    edited November 2009
    Kazaka wrote: »

I'm with you on the bolded part especially. I mean, I can never talk to anyone about where I picked something cool up or what I've killed or made due to the fact that it's supposed to be a unique item or a significant, one time event. It seriously hampers things. I could never say that I've killed The Dragon even if I have because chances are my friend's killed The Dragon too and that's really not OK to talk about.

My character added a self proclaimed "Godslayer" title to herself after slaying C'thun (server first, bitch). But by that time I did not really RP anymore.

However, if you think about it, its not like you can permanently kill players either, unless they are just quitting. You merely defeat them, just like the monsters.

RPing is something I've wanted to get back into, but never have gotten around to it. It would probably help if more games encouraged it.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg