As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Screen gets dark when windows boots

Racist JokeRacist Joke Registered User regular
I hope someone can help me out here. I have an LG L226W Flatron monitor. Recently, as soon as my desktop shows up (Got Vista Ultimate x64), the screen gets darker. Now, the thing is, I can see the screen is normal for about a second, and then it gets dark. It doesn't always happen, and when I turn it on everything is fine, but sometimes it will darken.

The thing is, any game I run looks fine, they aren't dark at all. As soon as I exit the game, gets back to being dark. So it looks like it isn't the monitor itself, but some stupid little setting. I have increased the brightness and contrast on my monitor, but it really doesn't do anything noticeable, and it does not fix the problem.

I have checked the connections at the back of both my computer, and the monitor itself.

Edit: Forgot to mention, my mouse pointer looks fine, that isn't dark at all.

Steam
Xbox Live: Kunohara
Racist Joke on

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sounds like a colour profile kicking in. Did you recently run a software update related to either your monitor, your printer, your photoshop-equivalent software or your graphics card? Each of those is a likely candidate to mess with the profile.

Also, does your monitor have any sort of ambient light sensor? Those can also cause darkening in certain conditions.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Sounds like a colour profile kicking in. Did you recently run a software update related to either your monitor, your printer, your photoshop-equivalent software or your graphics card? Each of those is a likely candidate to mess with the profile.

Also, does your monitor have any sort of ambient light sensor? Those can also cause darkening in certain conditions.

I have updated my graphics card recently, but that was a few weeks ago, and this problem just started a couple of days ago.

That's the only thing that I've updated.

I don't think my monitor has an ambient light sensor, or else it would have kicked in ages ago.

I just restarted, and the screen is fine again. This is weird. Where would I go about looking for any colour profiles?

Racist Joke on
    Steam
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Depends on your OS (naturally) In windows it's in the control panel under the monitor settings. Depending on the particular version of windows, it could be under advanced, or settings or settings>advanced. Or Colour Management (<3 W7).

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Depends on your OS (naturally) In windows it's in the control panel under the monitor settings. Depending on the particular version of windows, it could be under advanced, or settings or settings>advanced. Or Colour Management (<3 W7).

Well, I went to Colour Management and it said all my profiles were the default.

My screen hasn't darkened for a couple of days now, hopefully it will stay that way.

Racist Joke on
    Steam
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Alright, it is happening alot more frequently now and it is really fucking pissing me off. I have reinstalled my graphic drivers, cleaned out old versions, installed the latest, and still the same fucking thing. Normally I can restart the computer, and it fixed it, but I just did that 4 fucking times and it is still dark. It has to be some colour setting or stupid shit like that even though I haven't touched anything of the sort ever. I know this because my mouse pointer is still the same colour, that hasn't darkened at all.

I really wanna get this fixed.

Racist Joke on
    Steam