As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Bitching About Bad Comics Thread

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2009
    Preview of Batman: The Widening Gyre #3

It's in the Bitching About Bad Comics thread because the series is the worst and the art is terrible

Garlic Bread on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Cacophony was pretty bad so I didn't even bother with Smith's second Batman mini.

Lucascraft on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2009
    It's worse!

Garlic Bread on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Aside from Robin's old man face, stringy hair, and weirdly shaped mask, I think the art's pretty good. Especially for someone who seems to still be a bit of a novice at comics.

However, I find Smith writing in his verbal tic of saying, "Sir," all the time more than a little silly.

Munch on
  • RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Dear god. The last panel of this one looks like something a 5th grader would bring home from art class.

Raynaga on
    edited November 2009
    Actually, that perspective in the first panel looks like of fucked now that I think about it.

Munch on
    edited November 2009
    There is nothing good about this page.

1) I don't even think what Robin's doing is physically possible.
    2) What the hell is going on with his cape?
    3) The ceiling support beams seem to be designed by M.C. Escher
    4) That face

Garlic Bread on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So Flannigan is doing the art just because he's friend's with Smith. Right?

Kyougu on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Keith wrote: »
    There is nothing good about this page.

1) I don't even think what Robin's doing is physically possible.
    2) What the hell is going on with his cape?
    3) The ceiling support beams seem to be designed by M.C. Escher
    4) That face

At least it's not traced! *zing*

I actually don't mind the art. Ya it's not great but god knows we've seen worse.

Caveman Paws on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This is why I buy Kelly Jones Batman.

Wildcat on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »
    So Flannigan is doing the art just because he's friend's with Smith. Right?

Pretty much. It's not bad, and he seems to have gotten better since Cacaphony. It still has some rough spots in it.

TexiKen on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    yet the writing is even worse

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited November 2009
    So is this Smith arc supposed to be out of continuity? That Robin looks like Tim Drake to me. (Kinda)

Lucascraft on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Crimsondude on
    edited November 2009
    I like Takeda's art, but it isn't made for a strong emotional/hackneyed moment.

Karla is going to become Marvel's Cassandra Cain soon.

TexiKen on
    edited November 2009
    yet the writing is even worse

It's odd to me, because I can still read and enjoy Quiver, or the stuff Smith did for Oni.

It's like he had a talentectomy.

Munch on
    edited November 2009
    I cannot tolerate Kevin Smith not writing characters he created

He is not good with other people's property

He is not down with OPP

He does not know me

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think my mild dislike of Kevin Smith colors my views on his writing, but I don't think I've read anything by him that I've liked all that much.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
    edited November 2009
    So, Ambush Bug #7, huh? Wow. A formerly incomprehensible, but mildly enjoyable series managed to, with its final issue, go completely off the rails, shipping months late, with a new creative team using new art with a few pages of salvageable art from what would have been #6, effectively cobbling together a patchwork monstrosity of a comic. It was not unlike how Dr. Frankenstein would create life, so I guess it was kind of apropos that it come out in October.

Now, it's hard to say what exactly happened, but it's a bit odd that, just as the book was preparing to lampoon current events (Final Crisis, etc.), and the book's primary editor and champion Jann Jones left the company, it suddenly went MIA. What's Dan Didio have to say?

Newsarama wrote:
    DiDio: We finally get that book off our table and people are asking for it again. You know what? When we put Ambush Bug #7 to bed, I think we put Ambush Bug to bed for awhile as well. Although, that being said, Keith Giffen's rumbling about Ambush Bug in one of his other comics, so who knows where he might show up next.

Nrama: But now that #7 has been released, is there no information on why #6 wasn't published? I think the problem fans are having is there's been no explanation. You had the issue. We know Keith Giffen isn't the slacker here.

DiDio: Not at all. Not at all. It was an odd confluence of circumstances. And this will be my only answer to this. It's the answer I've been saying and I'll keep on saying: What actually happened is a lot more boring than the stories that people have come up with. I don't want to ruin that momentum, because once we tell what the real story is, it's just not fun anymore.

Nrama: OK, now that #7 is out, I'm finished using one of our 10 questions on Ambush Bug #6. It's apparently remaining a mystery no matter how much we ask. If you ever want to tell the real story, just let us know.

DiDio: I'm done with it too, so I'm happy to have it behind us both.

Basically, it seems like Didio or someone else at DC, despite assurances that Giffen would be allowed to run hog wild on the book, took offense at something in the final issue, and killed it.

Between this, and Doom Patrol and Magog's plummeting sales, I really hope Giffen goes back to Marvel and does some more cosmic stuff, once his exclusive expires.

Speaking of Giffen and bad comics, holy shit, I read Planetary Brigade over the weekend, and good God was that ever a terrible comic. While it had some good art here and there, the majority of it was either mediocre, or downright bad. In places, it didn't look so much like it was drawn by an amateur, as much as a person who had never held, or even seen, a pencil before.

The characters were all archetypes that were never fleshed out beyond being Pseudo-Superman and Pseudo-Batman, the book, due to the fact that it was a collection of one-shots and minis, was extremely disjointed, and the jokes largely fell flat.T he whole thing just seemed like Giffen and DeMatteis were out to cash in on their reputation as the funny superhero guys, while failing to bring anything else to the table.

Planetary Brigade is that rare kind of comic where, as soon as you finish it, you flip it over, check the price tag and sigh, thinking of all the things you could have better spent that fifteen dollars on. Like say, throwing it into a burning trash can.

The one redeeming factor in the entire book is Fabio Moon's small contribution, where he illustrates something like eight or ten pages.

Munch on
    edited November 2009
    dang munch dang

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • KiwiKiwi Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Raynaga wrote: »
    Dear god. The last panel of this one looks like something a 5th grader would bring home from art class.

In that 3rd panel, Robin reminds me way too much like Ragdoll, and it's freaking me out.

Kiwi on
    edited November 2009
    I wonder if Giffen took a shot at Didio sleeping with Jann Jones (still JG's wife at the time) and it never dawning on him he was being made fun of until somewhere around AB #6 being published.

DC published Puckett's Supergirl issues which were just bad, and they can't let AB#6 go to print for a knock at FC (and I bet it was more a shot at letting Morrison walk all over them and making the event a big screw up deadline-wise)?

TexiKen on
    edited November 2009
    dang munch dang

Here, let me spoil the big gag reveal at the end of the book; the Tigra/Cheetah homage character has been kicked off the Planetary Brigade and defected back to her evil masters, the Planetary Brigands. Why was she kicked off the Brigade?

Because she's a transsexual and everyone was like, totally grossed out by that!

It may very well be my least favorite comic ever.

Munch on
    edited November 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I wonder if Giffen took a shot at Didio sleeping with Jann Jones (still JG's wife at the time)

Well, aside from that stuff really isn't anyone's business but theirs, as far as I know it wasn't Dan DiDio, but James Robinson (since he and Jann Jones are engaged now)

Garlic Bread on
    edited November 2009
    Keith wrote:
    Well, aside from that stuff really isn't anyone's business but theirs, as far as I know it wasn't Dan DiDio, but James Robinson (since he and Jann Jones are engaged now)

Robinson obviously stole her from Didio. Dan, feeling spurned, fired Jones and trashed Ambush Bug.

Wheels within wheels.

Oh, and for anyone who thinks I'm overstating the problems with some of the art in Planetary Brigade, check this page out.

2ai58gw.jpg

That's drawn by Mark Badger who, judging by his blog, is actually pretty damn talented. I'm wondering if the book is like some kind of comic creator kryptonite.

Munch on
    edited November 2009
    I like that style, backgrounds aside. But it doesn't really work on a superhero book.

Garlic Bread on
    edited November 2009
    It reminds me of Roald Dahl's art, that's it. Especially the first panel.

TexiKen on
    edited November 2009
    I consider myself pretty open to styles that other people deride, like Damion Scott's, but that stuff just looks really formless and flat, and his choice of shot composition leaves a lot to be desired. I do kind of like the close up of Third Eye on the right, but then the panel's kind of hurt by the fact that the character, who is defined by the third eye in her forehead, is missing it there.

Like I said though, dude's obviously got skill.

Munch on
    edited November 2009
    that art looks like the inker ran out of inks and decided to use crayola markers instead

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited November 2009
    How does someone run out of digital ink TLB? How?

Lucascraft on
    edited November 2009
    HE RAN OUT OF COMPUTER

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited November 2009
    Sounds like the makings of a 90s tech story. Back when everyone had to tell a story about the internet being corrupted by demons. Like in Buffy.

Lucascraft on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I wonder if Giffen took a shot at Didio sleeping with Jann Jones (still JG's wife at the time) and it never dawning on him he was being made fun of until somewhere around AB #6 being published.

DC published Puckett's Supergirl issues which were just bad, and they can't let AB#6 go to print for a knock at FC (and I bet it was more a shot at letting Morrison walk all over them and making the event a big screw up deadline-wise)?

DC's published a lot worse shit than Puckett's Supergirl, which was really just mediocre-to-bad. Joe Kelly's Supergirl, Countdown (along with 99% of its tie-ins), Beechen's Teen Titans and Beechen's Batgirl mini were all fucking terrible. Not to mention Bruce Jones' Nightwing, which was possibly the worst thing I've ever read.

Anyway, seeing as Giffen killed Didio in Ambush Bug #5, it must've been worse than that to be pulled. It wouldn't surprise me if he took the absolute shit out of the editorial bullshit at DC (ala, Dwayne McDuffy and why they don't work with Mark Waid anymore) but since they'd have to buy out Giffen's contract to fire him, they put him on Magog as punishment (possibly my most hated DC character).

At least you guys know how I felt when DC/Didio decided to fuck over Legion of Super-Heroes readers with its shit last issue.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Unless he's lying, I think Giffen is on Magog because he likes working on newer characters to build around instead of old ones right now.

Lux on
  • SaphSaph Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It reminds me of Roald Dahl's art, that's it. Especially the first panel.
    You're thinking of Quentin Blake, Roald Dahl didn't draw.

Saph on
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Keith wrote: »
    I wonder if Giffen took a shot at Didio sleeping with Jann Jones (still JG's wife at the time)

They should just make that story a comic. I'd read it :winky:

Then again, I find myself liking the dramedys (aka Strangers in Paradise, Maison Ikkoku)

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • DoctorstrongbadDoctorstrongbad Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Did anybody actually read Bruce Jones' Nightwing?

Doctorstrongbad on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

2niya9v.jpg

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

I DID!!!!!!!

Hensler on
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Sounds like the makings of a 90s tech story. Back when everyone had to tell a story about the internet being corrupted by demons. Like in Buffy.

Handscanners are clearly the future of Cyberspace.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
This discussion has been closed.