As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Borderlands: Shoot zombies on Nov. 24 for consoles and unknown date for PC.

• pantsypantsy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ok, rehosted the pictures!

NEW HAVEN CHEST RUN;
    Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and WOOOOOOOO GUNS

First, the treasure map!
    chestmap.png

To help clarify how to get to all these in (I think) the least amount of time, here is a step-by-step run through the town:
    After loading in at the New Haven spawn point, turn 90 degrees to your right. You will see a staircase in front of you:

chest1.png

Run up these stairs and proceed straight across the buildings, following the planks that bridge the gaps.

You will come to the last building which has a ledge around the left side:

chest2.png

Hop the ledge and turn to the right around the corner. Chest #1!

Now, turn north and look along the town wall. You will see a platform with a cloth awning above it:

chest3.png

Run down the wall and jump your way on top of the awning.

Next, turn back to the south and look at the building we just came from:

chest4.png

Sneaky! Chest #2!

Now turn and look across the courtyard to your left. You will need to jump down and run across to a shack with a small hole in the wall:

chest5.png

Run to it and crouch to get in:

chest6.png

Sneaky again! Chest #3!

Now we turn due south and sprint to the weapons vendor outside Marcus' shop. Here I sell all the junk I have and check for any good deals.

From the weapon vendor, keep heading south and run up the staircase on the left side of the street:

chest7.png

Up the stairs to our next jump. Hop onto the washing machine, and then the small box on top of it. This lets you get to the roof:

chest8.png

The chest is behind the satellite dish. Chest #4!

Now head to the south edge of the building. This is tricky. Sprint and jump down to the protruding ledge of the next building to the south:

chest9.png

Upon landing, continue to sprint south along the edge. When you hit the end, leap across to the awning on the side of the garage building. You will have to sprint to make this leap! If you fall, hop on the barrel right there to get back up.

Once you are upon the lower roof, you can climb up the protruding metal sheet to get roof access:

chest10.png

Gaining the roof will reward you with Chest #5!

chest11.png

Turn south once more and drop down to the ground. Sprint across the road through the gap in the junk and follow the path up and to the left:

chest12.png

Chest #6 is under an awning. Note: hug the wall to the left side to avoid aggroing the scythids that can spawn there:

chest13.png

And there you have it! Just exit the game and reload to do it again. If you sell at the vendor each time you won't have to worry about getting full on items. Also, to the east of the last chest is a small bandit camp I like to use to test new guns I found.

Enjoy!

pantsy on
  • KivutarKivutar Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Speaking of oranges, I just found my very first immediately after equipping a +2 rare items Catalyst mod.
    shotty1.jpg

Hum, I just realised my Firefly mod is terrible - this whole time, I've been convinced I had a great class mod & was selling off everything I found without even bothering to compare them.

Kivutar on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Swipe + Ransack + Bird of Prey + raider camp = field of waist high, multicolored grass.

It's insane.

I'm afraid I may forget how to shoot things after using this bird so much.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • GammarahGammarah Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Swipe + Ransack + Bird of Prey + raider camp = field of waist high, multicolored grass.

It's insane.

My Bloodwing is so insane, I'm actually scared to spec anything else. So even though I just got this great orange repeater I'm afraid to step away from the tremendous power of the mighty Bloodwing, who smites motherfuckers with great intensity and frequency.

Gammarah on
  • nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

It's insane.

I can't bring myself to spec into the birdie. I wanna spec Sniper/Gunslinger but I'm thinking I'm gonna give in and be Sniper/Birdie.

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    so, class mods that add skill points to certain skills, do I have to already have a point in that skill for it to take affect?

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • GammarahGammarah Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    DeMoN wrote: »
    so, class mods that add skill points to certain skills, do I have to already have a point in that skill for it to take affect?

Yes.

Gammarah on
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Speccing into birdie gets old after you beat the game. I ended up going Gunslinger/Hunter just cause the 2nd playthrough enemies kick our ass so hard.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • JucJuc EdmontonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Sooooooooo, I just fought the Rakk Hive.

There sure are a lot of vagina monsters in games lately. Which makes me think some people are a little too afraid of the female body.
    Or know my ex's.

Is there a pair of boob monsters later in the game?

Juc on
  • IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    As a form of protection against data loss while playing multiplayer, some clever people have created batch files which automatically backup and date your save folder, then run the game. Only problem is the ones I've encountered use a lot of hard coded paths which don't work reliably for everyone. I've created a modified version which relies upon only one path (to run the game).

Instructions are contained within the batch file. They're very simple, but essential so please read them.

Right Click to save as.

Updated Nov/02 10:18PM Eastern Time

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Gammarah wrote: »

It's insane.

My Bloodwing is so insane, I'm actually scared to spec anything else. So even though I just got this great orange repeater I'm afraid to step away from the tremendous power of the mighty Bloodwing, who smites motherfuckers with great intensity and frequency.

Why can't you do both? You can get the top levels of two trees, and the Hunter tree only has 4 skills you should take.. the others are kinda useless, IMHO.
    Arikado wrote: »
    Speccing into birdie gets old after you beat the game. I ended up going Gunslinger/Hunter just cause the 2nd playthrough enemies kick our ass so hard.

The wife and I just started the second playthrough, and I find the bird is still incredibly useful. Particularly against large groups of bad guys... even if he doesn't kill them all, he does stun them all.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Yes.

if it's already full is there any bonus?

Iriah on
  • musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    My 50 mordecai is all sniper/gunslinger, but my revolver has completely wrecked everything in the game since about level 40. It's like 150 damage x7, and with all my talents I fire at a ridiculous rate. It has actually taken a toll on my desire to play the game because I wreck everything so easily. My friends are like "I'm not playing with you anymore I never get to kill anything." and I agree...I didn't think I was going to be UPSET I kill everything but it's really unfair.

The only thing that gives me trouble are the lance guards, but with a caustic revolver they're a joke. This is the first game I've ever gotten 1000 gamer points for, and I'm almost certainly going to trade it in next week for MW2 :(

It was a good run. I'll finish my second playthrough pretty soon and call it a big win.

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • Operator-COperator-C Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I really, really, really hate that this uses GameSpy (PC version obviously). The server browser is crap. Makes me wish I got the 360 version...sometimes. Ah well. It's still fun.

Operator-C on
    camo_sig2.png
  • AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Iriah wrote: »

Yes.

Most of the time, except for skills like Aerial Impact where having higher than 100% chance is useless.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
    edited November 2009
    Operator-C wrote: »
    I really, really, really hate that this uses GameSpy (PC version obviously). The server browser is crap. Makes me wish I got the 360 version...sometimes. Ah well. It's still fun.

I really don't want to make this a console vs pc war, but I was a PC gamer for so long and one of the biggest reasons I've gone to console is that it's just so damned easy. Friends buy xbox and voila we're playing the same games together...

PC versions have a lot going for them (or have in the past) but I have such a tough time justifying all the bullshit and upgrades anymore.

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Man New Haven chest runs are so bad if you're a loot whore. Got to New Haven at 22 and just started looping over...and over...and over again.

Found my first orange that way, an orange shotty with 45x9 damage, 72.9 accuracy, 4x zoom (wtf?) and x1 shock damage. 20 round clip. Weird shit.

Then I started killing the bug things near chest 6 and an artifact dropped. Sadly it was a level 20 Brick artifact that adds corrosive damage during berserking. Sad day for me.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Yes.

Yes. Of course, shit that doesn't make sense like 120% chance to daze guys with melee attacks for Lilith is obviously pointless.

You can get pretty ridiculous cooldown on Brick's Berserk with a +4 mod.

Also, any suggestions for a Roland spec? Seems like there's only 2 decent specs, support or turret. I'm going turret build (which is me basically taking most of the "turret" related bonuses) since I have little desire to play support. Just so many underwhelming skills :[

aBlank on
  • SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I like to think of the New Haven chests as the midgame supply system; you run the gauntlet until you've got a suitable loadout and replace the stuff you're been scraping by with, and then you go on with your game.

And speaking of the special artifacts, has it been said how high their levels can go? I've got Explosive 6 on my soldier man.

EDIT: Depends on how you play, I like to run and gun it while the turret lays down support and corrosive fire and serves as a nice distraction:

Impact and Overload for maximum gun effectiveness (I use SMGs primarily so Assault doesn't really help me)
    Sentry, Refire, Barrage and Deploy for turret effectiveness (the rocket thing doesn't sound too useful)
    Defense and Fitness for maximum man effectiveness (I'd like to get Stat instead of Cauterize when playing solo but that'd mean cutting into something else, besides which I found a shield with Quick health regen so I already have something working for me)

And I usually run around with a Support Gunner mod that does something like 20 team ammo regen and +3 to impact and barrage methinks.

Sorenson on
  • WhiteSharkWhiteShark Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So I can't host a game for my friend, and I could the other day. All ports are forwarded. What more do I need to do?

WhiteShark on
    edited November 2009
    aBlank wrote: »

Yes.

Yes. Of course, shit that doesn't make sense like 120% chance to daze guys with melee attacks for Lilith is obviously pointless.

120% chance to daze guys your own level. What about higher level ones? If you have a 160% chance on dudes your own level, will that make it a 100% chance on a critter a few levels higher as well?

Shadowfire on
  • GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    WhiteShark wrote: »
    So I can't host a game for my friend, and I could the other day. All ports are forwarded. What more do I need to do?
    How many times did you try? And sometimes restarting the game seems to help.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WhiteSharkWhiteShark Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Quite a number of times. I tried already having entered the game, waiting in the lobby, having my friend already in a game when I invite him, etc.

I guess I can try restarting Borderlands again...

WhiteShark on
  • trednistrednis Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    about to hop online. lv 50 loot running and weapon training (stupid alien weapons). also have a 21 brick and lv 7 hunter. 360 tag: rudy the tall

trednis on
  • Crazy LarryCrazy Larry Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    aBlank wrote: »

Yes.

120% chance to daze guys your own level. What about higher level ones? If you have a 160% chance on dudes your own level, will that make it a 100% chance on a critter a few levels higher as well?

I can't be sure on the exact chances, but I noticed a pretty steep decline on daze probabilities on higher level monsters with Mind Games on Lilith. I know one time I pumped a full clip (~50 bullets) from my SMG into a skag two levels above me and didn't daze. This was a Badmutha Skag though, so maybe that effected it some? Actually, that seems to be the case whenever I have trouble dazing something - it's both multiple levels above me and an 'elite' version of the mob, although that could just be that only the elites are spawning above my level at the moment.

Crazy Larry on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Oh yes. Finished the game. The last boss was kind of a dick!

urahonky on
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    huh, glad i looked at the new haven chest map, I didn't know about #6.

Morkath on
  • Rogue_KRogue_K Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    eredian.jpg

That is all.

Imagine the high level epic version of this...

Rogue_K on
    And through it all i gamed.
    ssig-654898.jpg
    edited November 2009
    It's official. My bloodwing is a far more efficient killer than I. I just did Treacher's Landing without reloading my shotgun.

They should make the last boss of the game your own bloodwing. Now THAT would be terrifying.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited November 2009
    Rogue_K wrote: »
    eredian.jpg

That is all.

It never gets high enough level that the bullet moves more than 15 miles an hour.

OptimusZed on

• MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    eredian.jpg

That is all.

I have one that does 689 or some permutation of those numbers. If anyone wants it, add me and I'll give it to you. I hate Eridian weapons. Kinetic weapons are just more satisfying.

Mechanical on
    edited November 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    Oh yes. Finished the game. The last boss was kind of a pussy!

;-)

Shadowfire on
    edited November 2009
    Mechanical wrote: »
    eredian.jpg

That is all.

I have one that does 689 or some permutation of those numbers. If anyone wants it, add me and I'll give it to you. I hate Eridian weapons. Kinetic weapons are just more satisfying.

I sold one that did like 1300 damage, such a piece of shit.

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
    edited November 2009
    eredian.jpg

That is all.

It never gets high enough level that the bullet moves more than 15 miles an hour.

True, but the one shot it does is nice.

Rogue_K on
    ssig-654898.jpg
  • DeadlySherpaDeadlySherpa Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    What I don't get is why it's totally ok for treasure hunters to have magic powers like phasewalking and creating killer birds out of thin air but everyone else is depressingly normal, and don't find it unusual at all that there is some magic motherfucker walking around killing bandits

DeadlySherpa on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited November 2009

Hate them huh? The general concensus seems to be this. How disappointing.

Rogue_K on
    ssig-654898.jpg
    edited November 2009
    What I don't get is why it's totally ok for treasure hunters to have magic powers like phasewalking and creating killer birds out of thin air but everyone else is depressingly normal, and don't find it unusual at all that there is some magic motherfucker walking around killing bandits
    Lancers have turrets, Ninetoes has pet skags, King Wee Wee has some sort of artifact shock thing. The world isn't devoid of magical powers outside of PCs.

OptimusZed on

• BuchwaldBuchwald Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Dude if the planet was over run with bandits and monsters would you complain when a badass shows up and starts to clean house?

Buchwald on
    "That theory is just the looniest of a whole bunch of complete nonsense that is spouted by Amanda Winn Lee and her cohorts in the Audio Commentary."
  • MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hate them huh? The general consensus seems to be this. How disappointing.

If the projectile actually had some speed to it, it might be worth using to me. I like bullets. They go where I tell them much faster.

Mechanical on
    edited November 2009
    Hate them huh? The general consensus seems to be this. How disappointing.

If the projectile actually had some speed to it, it might be worth using to me. I like bullets. They go where I tell them much faster.

Now that you mention it. I had picked up an Eridian hand gun around level 20 or so. It shot like a shot gun with all the randomness but without the power. Two weak shots that didn't hit their target then i had to have it recharge. Sold it right away.

Rogue_K on
    ssig-654898.jpg
This discussion has been closed.