As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This is the [Droid] you're looking for - $199 with 2-year Contract, hits 11/6

• gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I can't figure out if I can get the upgrade price if I sign a contract extension or not. It hasn't been quite two years since I signed (short a few months), but then I read some FAQs on Verizon's site that indicated several different ways to get the upgrade price. It didn't make a lot of sense. :P
    Verizon wrote:
    By extending your contract, you may qualify for a discounted price, depending on when you last purchased a new phone at a discounted price, and your contract term.

- Customers on a one-year contract may upgrade at a discounted price after 10 months.
    - Customers on a two-year contract may upgrade at a discounted price after just 20 months.

Plus, if you're currently enrolled in our New Every Two program*, you will be eligible for an additional discount with a two-year contract extension.

You can get a new phone every year with Annual Upgrade. Sign up for a 2-year agreement on a calling plan of at least $49.99 and you can purchase a new phone at its promotional price through My Verizon every year with a 2-year renewal (upgrade fee may apply).

Now, the first bits are like, "yeah yeah, upgrade every two years, we all know this." Then, though, the bolded part seems to imply you can upgrade every one year, as long as the extension you sign is for $49.99 or more... which it is now, and certainly would be with the required data plan.

So, Verizon experts... can I get a Droid for $200 or am I out of luck?

Also, if not, how keen is Verizon support on keeping customers? If I called and asked for the upgrade price or I'd switch to iPhone, would that have an affect? My friends who have switched said Verizon reps tried all sorts of shit to keep them on, some of it pretty generous.

Edit: it would be a hollow threat, by the way. I've really enjoyed Verizon. I get to chuckle at my friends when I, often, have coverage when they don't. Heck, during a recent local emergency, all phones were out except Verizon. I was a communications hub keeping my friends in touch with loved ones. Go go Verizon. :P

gilrain on
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, I just left Sprint and I didn't leave them much in the way of options. Just "I just can't afford it" and bam. Because Sprint coverage here is balls.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You have to have been on a $50 plan or higher for a year to qualify for that early upgrade. If you're a secondary line on a familyshare you have to wait the full 20 months. You might be able to get a standard 2 year upgrade from a nice customer service rep if you're not eligible. But then again, you might not.

JAEF on
    edited November 2009
    JAEF wrote: »
    You have to have been on a $50 plan or higher for a year to qualify for that early upgrade. If you're a secondary line on a familyshare you have to wait the full 20 months. You might be able to get a standard 2 year upgrade from a nice customer service rep if you're not eligible. But then again, you might not.
    Aha, I have been on a $50 plan for more than a year! Yay, thanks! :D

gilrain on
  • Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    gilrain wrote: »
    I can't figure out if I can get the upgrade price if I sign a contract extension or not. It hasn't been quite two years since I signed (short a few months), but then I read some FAQs on Verizon's site that indicated several different ways to get the upgrade price. It didn't make a lot of sense. :P
    Verizon wrote:
    By extending your contract, you may qualify for a discounted price, depending on when you last purchased a new phone at a discounted price, and your contract term.

- Customers on a one-year contract may upgrade at a discounted price after 10 months.
    - Customers on a two-year contract may upgrade at a discounted price after just 20 months.

Plus, if you're currently enrolled in our New Every Two program*, you will be eligible for an additional discount with a two-year contract extension.

You can get a new phone every year with Annual Upgrade. Sign up for a 2-year agreement on a calling plan of at least $49.99 and you can purchase a new phone at its promotional price through My Verizon every year with a 2-year renewal (upgrade fee may apply).

Now, the first bits are like, "yeah yeah, upgrade every two years, we all know this." Then, though, the bolded part seems to imply you can upgrade every one year, as long as the extension you sign is for $49.99 or more... which it is now, and certainly would be with the required data plan.

So, Verizon experts... can I get a Droid for $200 or am I out of luck?

Also, if not, how keen is Verizon support on keeping customers? If I called and asked for the upgrade price or I'd switch to iPhone, would that have an affect? My friends who have switched said Verizon reps tried all sorts of shit to keep them on, some of it pretty generous.

Edit: it would be a hollow threat, by the way. I've really enjoyed Verizon. I get to chuckle at my friends when I, often, have coverage when they don't. Heck, during a recent local emergency, all phones were out except Verizon. I was a communications hub keeping my friends in touch with loved ones. Go go Verizon. :P

You upgrade 4 months before the end of your CED (Contract End Date). That said, if you're contract is 4 months out, you're golden. If it's 5... Ask for an exception. Sometimes they are made. As far as threatening to cancel, really, just be sincere. I turn down more threats, because in the end, I know they are just threats. So long as someone isn't asking ME to cancel a line right then and there, I'm not going to do anything. And even then, depending on their attitude, I won't, because I don't believe in entitlement.

That said, I think if you're 5 months out, You should be able to get your upgrade processed as an exception over the phone, with a mail-in-rebate. Usually, we're willing to process an upgrade 30 days early.

Edit: Also, the first flaw I found on the Droid was trying to copy from the browser. It kept zooming in.

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    My friends went to best buy last Friday to try and get this pre order and they said they were "out". How do you run out of pre orders. Then they continued to tell my friends that they would get in more pre orders tomorrow.

Maybe I'm confused on the term "pre order", but I thought that meant that you can mark yourself down for one when the shipment arrives you get one, and there isn't a daily limit as to how many can be ordered per day, but per shipment.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    MoSiAc wrote: »
    My friends went to best buy last Friday to try and get this pre order and they said they were "out". How do you run out of pre orders. Then they continued to tell my friends that they would get in more pre orders tomorrow.

Maybe I'm confused on the term "pre order", but I thought that meant that you can mark yourself down for one when the shipment arrives you get one, and there isn't a daily limit as to how many can be ordered per day, but per shipment.

Probably ran through their first runs of preorders and don't want to take any more before the could guarantee they would be able to stock them.

Remember the mess that was the Wii's launch?

Kyougu on
    edited November 2009
    I dunno just seems odd to say "we know we're getting more pre orders, but we won't let you do it tonight."

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
    edited November 2009
    You upgrade 4 months before the end of your CED (Contract End Date). That said, if you're contract is 4 months out, you're golden. If it's 5... Ask for an exception. Sometimes they are made. As far as threatening to cancel, really, just be sincere. I turn down more threats, because in the end, I know they are just threats. So long as someone isn't asking ME to cancel a line right then and there, I'm not going to do anything. And even then, depending on their attitude, I won't, because I don't believe in entitlement.

That said, I think if you're 5 months out, You should be able to get your upgrade processed as an exception over the phone, with a mail-in-rebate. Usually, we're willing to process an upgrade 30 days early.

Edit: Also, the first flaw I found on the Droid was trying to copy from the browser. It kept zooming in.
    Hm, okay... as an experiment, I walked through the steps on My Verizon to buy a different, already-out smartphone with the same pricing, including instant rebate... and I was able to get all the way to checkout for the low price. Now, maybe it would have stopped me from actually ordering (I canceled at that point, obviously), but it looked to me like I was going to get the upgrade pricing/rebate.

I'm just going to cautiously get my hopes up, and we'll see how it goes on Friday. :)

gilrain on
    edited November 2009
    If you were logged in under your number and it showed you the upgrade price, you'll get the upgrade price.

JAEF on
    edited November 2009
    JAEF wrote: »
    If you were logged in under your number and it showed you the upgrade price, you'll get the upgrade price.
    :^: Lovely. :)

gilrain on
    edited November 2009
    gilrain wrote: »

Hm, okay... as an experiment, I walked through the steps on My Verizon to buy a different, already-out smartphone with the same pricing, including instant rebate... and I was able to get all the way to checkout for the low price. Now, maybe it would have stopped me from actually ordering (I canceled at that point, obviously), but it looked to me like I was going to get the upgrade pricing/rebate.

I'm just going to cautiously get my hopes up, and we'll see how it goes on Friday. :)

If so, you're good to go on upgrade. I wonder if we're going to include a Saturday ship option.

Dignified Pauper on
    edited November 2009
    I echo engadget's sentiment that the keyboard on this thing is a catastrophe. So sad.

JAEF on
    edited November 2009
    It's not a CATASTROPHE... it's just not great.

Dignified Pauper on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wait? The rebate is going to come on a credit card and not a check?

RoyceSraphim on
    edited November 2009
    Wait? The rebate is going to come on a credit card and not a check?
    Visa debit card. You can transfer the balance to a bank account through the 800 number. Or get it at Best Buy and skip that shit.

JAEF on
    edited November 2009
    Or, you can order it online and have instant rebate. Or you can call us and pay your bill wth it. It's much safer than a paper check.

Dignified Pauper on
    edited November 2009
    Or, you can order it online and have instant rebate. Or you can call us and pay your bill wth it. It's much safer than a paper check.

Do you have to wait till the 6th to order online? And then of course wait for the phone to come?

MoSiAc on
    edited November 2009
    Yes. But it's worth it for not paying extra taxes. All employees have to do it. If you don't, you're paying an additional tax on the 100 that isn't auto taken off. I care about these small dollars.

Dignified Pauper on
    edited November 2009
    Yes. But it's worth it for not paying extra taxes. All employees have to do it. If you don't, you're paying an additional tax on the 100 that isn't auto taken off. I care about these small dollars.

Hey it makes sense, and if I had the money for the phone I'd probably do this so I don't have to go to one of the walk in stores.

MoSiAc on
    edited November 2009
    California charges taxes on phones based on the full retail price. Not sure where you're at. Even online through VZW's website. So if you live there, that wouldn't change a thing.

JAEF on
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Artreus wrote: »
    The lack of multi-touch is kind of disappointing, since I've gotten so used to it with an ipod touch and palm pre, but it still looks pretty nice. I am seriously considering figuring out a way to get the droid with my parent's family plan.

Dignified, you might know this. The Droid is $200 with a 2-year contract and $500something with no contract. My phone is up for renewal but only for a new phone of the same price. My dad used the upgrade option that the plan had for his phone already I believe. So is there some sort of in-between option for me getting the Droid for less than $lots with the plan? Also would they have to add data for everybody or would it be easy to just set up a Data plan for one person. (it is entirely possible they've already gotten data for themselves, I need to check.)

I apologize if this is really random and all over the place.

Also, while it does look like I am almost definitely getting this, the HTC Passion looks like it might eventually maybe be awesome if/when it comes out.

The annoying thing is that the European version of the Droid ("Milestone") does have multitouch pinch/stretch zooming.

I'm guessing with the US, since it is capable of multitouch, it's probably a patent issue.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
    edited November 2009

wait wait what?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
    edited November 2009
    I'm too lazy to look it up, but will the 199 with 2 yr contract still be good say on the 13th? That's my birthday and perhaps the best time for me to get myself a DROID.

MoSiAc on
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Stopped in at the Verizon store today to make sure that I would be able to swap my Imagio for a Droid on its 30th day. Everything looks good to go - I just need to get there around 8 AM on Friday (when this particular store opens) and make the swap. The one thing that puzzled me was when the employee told me that I needed a Google account to get the phone... Yes, it's a Google Experience device, so obviously it's at its best when being used for gmail and the like, but... I don't like using gmail. I have an account, but all of my things have been registered forever on my Hotmail.

Does it make sense to sign up with my existing gmail account and then avoid the gmail feature of the phone in favor of traditional mail (is that even possible, if I don't use a corporate Exchange server?), or should I make a gmail account with a name that I actually like, forward all of my Hotmail mail to it, and use that from now on? I'm just really against the idea of change, I think. Would I be missing out if I didn't really use gmail? Is the phone going to be sorta nonfunctional without it? Or is the signing up with Google thing just a stipulation made by the company to Verizon in order to encourage more people to join the Google loop and it really shouldn't matter in my use of the device?

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
    edited November 2009
    Google requires you set up an account so it can sync and backup your contacts, among other things. I'd say register a new email address that you plan to use for X. What X is is up to you. As an example I have a gmail under my internet handle I use for internet stuff, registrations, newsletters, etc. and I have one under first.middleinitial.lastname that I use for talking with family or college professors. Have it on my business cards as well since it looks professional. My buddy has one that is just firstinitialmiddleinitiallastname which works well. Try and figure out what makes sense for you and take it from there. There's no reason to have a completely pointless email account attached to a device you're going to be using for two years.

JAEF on
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well I think I'll be caving in and getting a Droid, upgrading from my pre-paid simple phone. Though I still loathe cell phone contracts, vendor lock-in and pricing schemes they have. I hate that I have to swallow all their garbage in order to use a mobile internet device.

Anyway it will be nice not to be stuck in Fry's unable to look up product reviews.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hm. Going back to my previous point... I didn't realize (since I'm pretty far out of the loop with Google stuff) that a Google Account is different from a GMail account. That solves my problem, I suppose - I've got a new Google Account that's registered with my Hotmail address and I can always make a GMail account within that. I assume that this is what the Verizon lady was talking about today, and that I won't need a GMail e-mail address to get the Droid.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
    edited November 2009
    Lanz wrote: »

wait wait what?

That was in reference to the rebate card and those two sentences clearly did not go together. I must not have been paying close attention to my own words.

Dignified Pauper on
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The lack of multi-touch is kind of disappointing, since I've gotten so used to it with an ipod touch and palm pre, but it still looks pretty nice. I am seriously considering figuring out a way to get the droid with my parent's family plan.

Dignified, you might know this. The Droid is $200 with a 2-year contract and $500something with no contract. My phone is up for renewal but only for a new phone of the same price. My dad used the upgrade option that the plan had for his phone already I believe. So is there some sort of in-between option for me getting the Droid for less than $lots with the plan? Also would they have to add data for everybody or would it be easy to just set up a Data plan for one person. (it is entirely possible they've already gotten data for themselves, I need to check.)

I apologize if this is really random and all over the place.

Also, while it does look like I am almost definitely getting this, the HTC Passion looks like it might eventually maybe be awesome if/when it comes out.

The annoying thing is that the European version of the Droid ("Milestone") does have multitouch pinch/stretch zooming.

I'm guessing with the US, since it is capable of multitouch, it's probably a patent issue.

I was under the impression that this was an Android failure.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    [snip]

Not a failure, a deliberate self-limitation. There are apparently bits of hidden/disabled multi-touch support even in pre-2.0 Android. Google doesn't want to anger Apple over its touch interface patents in the US, or at least not yet. (The Euro GSM Droid called Milestone apparently has real multi-touch and is still an Android 2.0 device.) But with Android's increasing success, I doubt they'll be able to avoid multi-touch support in the US for long.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
    edited November 2009
    [snip]

Not a failure, a deliberate self-limitation. There are apparently bits of hidden/disabled multi-touch support even in pre-2.0 Android. Google doesn't want to anger Apple over its touch interface patents in the US, or at least not yet. (The Euro GSM Droid called Milestone apparently has real multi-touch and is still an Android 2.0 device.) But with Android's increasing success, I doubt they'll be able to avoid multi-touch support in the US for long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM1JSFXnQpg

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hrm, so it's just not supported in any default apps? :x Does having it only in third-party apps relieve Google of potential liability? Doesn't make sense to me that way.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Can anyone confirm/deny Infoworld's claim that you'll need to pony up for the $45/month data plan (instead of the $30/month plan) to get access to Exchange servers?

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2009
    I believe that's true, yes. I've always wondered about people it bothers, though. Every company I've worked for that expected me to be that connected to work, at least had the decency to pay for my plan in return. :P

gilrain on
    edited November 2009
    RBach wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm/deny Infoworld's claim that you'll need to pony up for the $45/month data plan (instead of the $30/month plan) to get access to Exchange servers?

It's true. The exchange server requires a lot more work and goes through your company's firewall. Because of that, there is a lot more involved and so it is a bit more pricey. Your work should seriously pay for it though, unless they don't require you to have a phone that supports it. If they only will pay for it if the line is in their name, have them perform an AOL to take your line from you and assume the contract. (AOL = Assumption Of Liability)

Dignified Pauper on
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Do they need to know you are connecting to an Exchange server? 8-)

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I have a gmail account as my primary email, however I don't have the contacts fleshed out at all. Really just contains the automatic adds as I email people. Will verizon be able to transfer over my current numbers to the droid and then have that populate my google contacts?

Or should I start filling out my google contacts if I am thinking of getting the Droid?

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    risumon wrote: »
    I have a gmail account as my primary email, however I don't have the contacts fleshed out at all. Really just contains the automatic adds as I email people. Will verizon be able to transfer over my current numbers to the droid and then have that populate my google contacts?

Or should I start filling out my google contacts if I am thinking of getting the Droid?

If VZW doesn't, bitpim might be able to help instead of doing it all by hand.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

It's true. The exchange server requires a lot more work and goes through your company's firewall. Because of that, there is a lot more involved and so it is a bit more pricey. Your work should seriously pay for it though, unless they don't require you to have a phone that supports it. If they only will pay for it if the line is in their name, have them perform an AOL to take your line from you and assume the contract. (AOL = Assumption Of Liability)

That's a load of shit. Exchange data is no different than any other data. If it required more "work" it would only be because Verizon was actively blocking it specifically so they could charge more to unblock it.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.