As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A United Europe?

1234568»

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    SO HOW ABOUT THAT CONTINENT THAT RANGES FROM COUNTY GALWAY TO THE RIVER VOLGA AND FROM SICILY TO PETSAMO, HUH?

I know such opinion polls may not have been taken, seeing as referendums are not due to occur in either of these countries, but is there any hint as how much the Polish/Czech people want the Treaty to go through?

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The further away Poland can get from Russian influence, the better.

theSquid on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Having been in Poland for a few days, I think the average Warsawvian would agree with you. There's no love lost between them.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    theSquid wrote: »

So you're saying that it's split between going with Russia and going with Germany?

moniker on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    There's no love lost between them either.

BUT, the EU has been pretty good to young Polish workers seeking employment, so I suspect they'll swallow that pill.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    moniker wrote: »

So you're saying that it's split between going with Russia and going with Germany?

Pretty much. I'll remind you that even before World War One when Poland was divided between Russia, Germany and Austria-Hungary, the Russians went out of their way to ban Christianity and the Polish language from them. You do not want to try to take God away from the Polish. Even during World War 2, the Russians were absolute fuckwits when they came through Poland. Their strategy was basically "let the Polish resistance clog up the German tank treads, then we'll attack. If there's any resistance members left, we'll line them up for an awards ceremony, then shoot them."

EDIT: That being said, I have relatives living in Germany (I'm Polish, so are they) They do not speak the Polish language in public there. Apparently it makes people think less of them. All in all, Europeans pretty much have good reasons to hate practically every neighbour they have. But right now, Russia's the one that's actually a threat.

theSquid on
  • Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=12249 - the times they are a changin'.

That'll be interesting, if nothing else.

I don't recall any TD's stance on gay marriage ever being an issue at the last general election, so i wonder how this'll pan out.

HerrCron on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    NATIKNATIK DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Europeans pretty much have good reasons to hate practically every neighbour they have.

I would say it's pretty much correct, we all dislike/hate each other but work together despite this, even among the Scandinavian countries which are almost identical there is a lot "those guys are silly and do silly things" but that pales in comparison to how the average Dane feels about the German or Polish.

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    There is a lot of bad blood between countries in the EU, but if Ireland suffered an eight hundred year brutal invasion and occupation by Britain and leaves its resentment behind within a meagre eighty or so years (apart from a few thugs working under the cover of religion and nationalism), then people in other countries across Europe can do the same.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    Saint MadnessSaint Madness Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    HerrCron wrote: »
    http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=12249 - the times they are a changin'.

I don't recall any TD's stance on gay marriage ever being an issue at the last general election, so i wonder how this'll pan out.

Irish opinion polls show huge support for same sex marriage, we don't really have a religious conservative party over here. Unless of course Cóir decide to become one.

As far as I know though, Sinn Féin and Labour support full same sex marriage and the other parties support civil unions.

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Ok so, the Czech Republic is expected to ratify the treaty by the end of the year and Poland is expected to ratify it within the next month or so.

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Rohan wrote: »
    There is a lot of bad blood between countries in the EU, but if Ireland suffered an eight hundred year brutal invasion and occupation by Britain and leaves its resentment behind within a meagre eighty or so years (apart from a few thugs working under the cover of religion and nationalism), then people in other countries across Europe can do the same.

The IRA dude

The IRA

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

The IRA dude

The IRA

Over the last several years the IRA has diminished into total obscurity, although there seems to be some attempt at a comeback in recent months.

Honestly, if you told someone living in Ireland during the 1980's that we'd have this level of peace in Northern Ireland in 25 years time they'd have laughed in your face.

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    HerrCron wrote: »

Irish opinion polls show huge support for same sex marriage, we don't really have a religious conservative party over here. Unless of course Cóir decide to become one.

As far as I know though, Sinn Féin and Labour support full same sex marriage and the other parties support civil unions.

Well Cóir have made noises about putting forward some candidates in the next general election, no idea how successful they'd be though.

While it shouldn't be an issue, i have a nagging feeling that someone in the Dail will decide to make an issue out of it.

HerrCron on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Saint Madness on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That's going to put considerable pressure on the Conservatives who are demanding a referendum but are not likely to get one.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2009
    Man, The Economist, why you gotta freak me out with this.

4109LD2.jpg

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    The juxtapositon of that image with your signature pic is most (un)fortunate.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2009
    Wow, that is awesome.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    This is beginning to get ridiculous.
    For a man standing alone between Europe and its future, Vaclav Klaus is playing hard to get. Last week a trip to Albania, this week Russia; the Czech president has performed a vanishing act just when he has the rest of Europe dancing to his tune.

He relishes being at the centre of a showdown. But it appears he is currently more interested in selling copies of his tract on global warming denial.

Last week, as a panicky campaign was launched in Berlin, Paris, Brussels, Stockholm, and Prague to try to force Europe's biggest renegade into line, Klaus was dining by the Adriatic.

For five days he refused to return phone calls from Fredrik Reinfeldt, the Swedish prime minister and current EU president saddled with the Klaus emergency. Jan Fischer, the Czech Republic's caretaker prime minister, has an even less enviable task, as mediator between Klaus and the rest of Europe's leaders. But Klaus won't give him the time of day. Fischer admitted he had managed to get him briefly on the phone, but not to arrange a meeting.

Klaus was in Albania to promote Blue Planet in Green Shackles, his book arguing that the only thing man-made about climate change is that it is a myth. Today he decamped to Moscow, promoting a Russian edition of the book.

Isolated in Prague Castle surrounded by yes men, Klaus has embarked on a one-man campaign to stop Europe in its tracks by bringing down the Lisbon treaty, the reform charter aimed at making Europe pull its weight in the world. The treaty has been eight excruciating years in the making and is now on the brink of coming into force. But not if Klaus gets his way.

"I fear a deepening integration of the European Union. For me this is something of vital importance," he said in Moscow. "The idea that I can forget what I have said is not well-founded." He added that he had explained his position to the Russian president, Dmitry Medvedev. This appeared to be a calculated snub to the 27 EU government chiefs who have been denied an explanation.

"This is very political, it's very personal. The president is completely neglecting the interests of the country," said Ivan Gabal, a Prague sociologist and political consultant.

"He's acting like some oriental despot," said Jiri Pehe, a prominent political scientist. "Two chambers of parliament, the constitutional court and the governments of 27 countries support Lisbon. But the representatives of 500 million people are wrong and he's right. He really thinks he has a monopoly on the truth."

Czech analysts say that the 68-year-old president is a case study in contradiction. Klaus despises Europe, yet he led the Czech Republic into the EU.

In 1997 he and the German chancellor, Helmut Kohl, signed a declaration of postwar reconciliation. Yet Klaus claims he cannot sign the Lisbon treaty as it could trigger another German invasion – of people seeking to recover property their grandparents lost when deported from Czech lands at the end of the second world war.

A womaniser, who despises feminists and mocks environmentalists, Klaus regards his fellow Czech politicians as political pygmies. The only man he fears, envies and despises in equal measure is his great rival Vaclav Havel, the former president.

Despite that, Klaus has been extraordinarily successful. Twice elected prime minister, and twice president, he has been at the top of Czech politics almost uninterruptedly since the Velvet Revolution at the end of 1989 ended communism.

He can claim to have masterminded the most successful transition from communism to capitalism of all the former Soviet bloc countries. Klaus, a trained economist with no dissident pedigree, was a late addition to the Havel-led revolutionary class of 1989. But he quickly undermined Havel's Civic Forum, plotted its fragmentation, created and led his own conservative party, and ruthlessly broke up Czechoslovakia to lead a new Czech Republic.

As prime minister to Havel's president, the two sparred for years. Things got so bad that Havel cancelled their weekly audience. He accused Klaus of leading a regime of "gangster capitalism". Klaus had the last laugh: succeeding Havel in Prague Castle as president.

The rivalry runs deep. The contest for a place in the history books may partly explain current conduct:\ Klaus emerged the clear political victor, but Havel remains the moral conscience of the country and probably the greater historical figure. "It's very strange. Havel has not said anything about all this," said Pehe. "We're all waiting for Havel to say something fundamental."

Klaus remains popular in his country, more respected than loved. In Europe only David Cameron shares his contempt for the Lisbon treaty. He is unique among central European leaders in preferring Vladimir Putin to José Manuel Barroso, president of the European commission.

Opinion is divided in Prague and Brussels over what Klaus intends. He is notoriously unbiddable. Is he seeking a face-saving formula from a European summit at the end of the month? Or are his demands deliberately maximalist so that they cannot be met and the treaty remains unratified?

If, as expected, the Czech constitutional court dismisses claims against the treaty and he still refuses to sign, there could be attempts to impeach, suspend, or otherwise bypass Klaus.

Trick or treaty

The standoff in Prague over the Lisbon treaty derives from the Czech constitutional system, which makes the country a parliamentary democracy but leaves President Vaclav Klaus as head of state with more than merely ceremonial powers. He has a veto over legislation, meaning that he can send bills back to parliament before signing them into law. The parliament cannot change the Lisbon treaty, however.

The treaty was negotiated and agreed by the government. It was then endorsed by both chambers of the parliament. The constitutional court in Brno ruled that the treaty does not violate the constitution.

Still Klaus refused to sign it, waiting for the Irish referendum. On 2 October the Irish voted two-to-one in favour, but Klaus still refused. If the constitutional court rules in favour of Lisbon on a second complaint, probably on 27 October, and Klaus still refuses to sign, there could be a constitutional crisis. He could face impeachment or be deemed unable to perform his duties and suspended from office.

Either of these options, however, could take a long time, leaving the treaty vulnerable to a British referendum if the Conservatives gain power with Lisbon still unratified.

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

The IRA dude

The IRA

Sorry, should have emphasised maybe. The IRA had a purpose once, and was filled with honourable people. But it quickly turned into an excuse for violence. The vast majority of Irish people respect what they once were, but have hated them for a long time now.

Re: above

What a freaking idiot. I hope there'll be repercussions for him after it is all done and over with.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    And it looks like the Lisbon Treaty will go ahead.

tl;dr - Mr Klaus has signed it.

I wonder how this will fare for David Cameron?

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

He's probably relieved. It's a campaign promise they no longer have to hold, yet they can still bang on about Labour being liars.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    moniker wrote: »

He's probably relieved. It's a campaign promise they no longer have to hold, yet they can still bang on about Labour being liars.

I dunno, I heard a lot of rumblings that people may try to force a referendum somehow, or have one on EU membership all together.

The Conservatives have a hard time showing a united front on Europe. If I recall correctly, it was a not-insignificant factor in ousting Margaret Thatcher.

RMS Oceanic on