As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Champions Online - Men in Tights (and Furries, Oh God the Furries)

• Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, I can find a good bit about the thirteen heroes and all, but the rest of the event is mostly just described with brief overviews. For the most part, I'm curious about the whole werewolves/hunters thing.

Also, any word on if the zombie cabin hero game is going to stay, or if it is just for the duration of the blood moon event?

Dizzen on
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Dizzen wrote: »
    Yeah, I can find a good bit about the thirteen heroes and all, but the rest of the event is mostly just described with brief overviews. For the most part, I'm curious about the whole werewolves/hunters thing.

Also, any word on if the zombie cabin hero game is going to stay, or if it is just for the duration of the blood moon event?

Zombie survival mode is going to stay. Werewolf/hunter is not, which is most unfortunate.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    TagTag Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So next thread... "Champions Online - Even Our Holiday Events are for Furries"?

Tag on
    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Tag wrote: »

I've been warning people about this for years.

Ten years from now furries will be the new anime.

D:

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So the free trial opens in 15 minutes. Anything I should know?

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    So I had this sudden urge after getting the Woof action figure. Took a lot of experimenting to get it to look even this close.
    screenshot_2009-11-02-01-44-24.jpg
    screenshot_2009-11-02-01-45-03.jpg

Sadly the character is sorely lacking an Uzi and a Picnic Basket.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Tag wrote: »

I've been warning people about this for years.

Ten years from now furries will be the new anime.

D:

To be honest, the hatred towards furry creatures is a lot newer than the use of furry creatures in works of fiction, on the order of hundreds of years.

I mean, if you want to get historical and all.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    True that.

And the reason for the current "furries=perverts!" thing has remarkably specific roots.

But it's going to be a long time before the furry thing regains the old mainstream neutrality.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It's not our fault they took something clean and fun and made it wrongbad.

GungHo on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I have really enjoyed my time with Champions Online

I am sad now that I must go

But you know

The economy

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Man, this game has really shaped up since the beta, and playing on a 360 controller is a ton of fun. I'm definitely gonna buy it once I get some cash.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    ParadisoParadiso Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've had my eye on Champions for a while, but I lacked the machine to pull it off. Seeing the trial this weekend I leaped at the opportunity to check it out. I was not disappointed. The level of fun was absurd. Flying around with rocket boots, launching salvos of missiles from my chest, and hurling snowmobiles at villains' heads was everything I dreamed it would be.

Sadly, I'm one of those clowns participating in NaNoWriMo this month so getting balls deep in Champions is not a good idea. But December, oh, December...

Paradiso on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    then december you can make CO characters out of your nanowrimo characters

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I never got the missile power

But I wanted it so badly

Sigh. Someday

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    AgahnimAgahnim Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The drops from the bloodmoon heroes are pretty amazing. Hurray for permanent devices!

Agahnim on
    2.jpg
    3DS FC: 2148-8300-8608 WiiU: AgahnimD
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    wait what. perm devices?

edit- ok http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=83072&page=3
    AtPlay wrote:
    Amazing Grace - Amazing Grace
    Crusher - Center of Gravity
    Eclipse - Revanancy
    Firefight - Revenant of Firefight
    Flechette 2 - Hacked Orbital Cannon Codes
    Goblin - Supernatural Possession
    Johnny Hercules - Fists of Compliance
    Nimbus - Nimbus of Force
    Radion - Radion's Revenge
    Shadowboxer - Coward's Lament
    Tiger - Will of the Tiger
    Vanguard - Archer's Memory
    Vigil - Eroded Shard

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I got the Center of Gravity and it is pretty fun.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    GungHo wrote: »
    It's not our fault they took something clean and fun and made it wrongbad.

Have you seen the Avatar trailers? (the blue one, not the Nick cartoon one)

It's furries without the fur.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So are the zombie crypt missions supposed to be group ones? I got through one OK with my Single Blade guy, just had to be careful about the zombie swarms, but damn if that last boss isn't a bitch to kill. Lots of HP, and he hits too hard for me to go all out on him.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, 3-man missions.
    But the highest level ones are like 27, most are in the 15-18 range. So if you're high enough you can just breeze through them.

Invisible on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    For almost all the crypts the whole team was sidekicked to a 40 and we just annihilated all that grey shit.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I've been soloing with a low-to-mid-20s character, but can't manage to do the very hardest of the things. Going to level up once or twice and finish the damned things up.

Now that I have all the 1K Zombies though, those missions of so much less obnoxious with tunneling.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well guys, I've hit 40 with my main, and am sorely dissapointed in the Unity missions.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I think it's time to put Champions aside for a while.

I'll be back, for sure, once they introduce more content and make it worth my while to go through the game again with a different Champ but, for now, I think I'm done.

Note to Cryptic: If you're going to make a game based on replayability and alt-itis, you need to make sure you have way, way more content out of the gate. It's absolutely fun to make varied builds and looks, but when the content is the same every time, there's very little incentive to play the game the whole way through with a new character. Playing with a new build is fun, but re-playing the same content I've done with another character is not.

Oh, and Lemuria... Lemuria needs a lot of work. Too many buggy missions, and making some travel powers (super jump and swing come to mind) completely useless in that zone was a pretty bad design decision, but at least you unlock your second travel power by then so there's a work-around. Also, certain main instances, specifically Viper's Den, are also wonky.

Insulator will be back when you raise the level cap, absolutely, and I will likely try playing through with another character at some point in the future when more "along the way" content is added as well.

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I guess my issue is that as I run through the game with a couple of people, I'm obviously going to be doing the same content, every time. It'd be nice if there were multiple paths, especially in the early-to-mid game.

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Note to Cryptic: If you're going to make a game based on replayability and alt-itis, you need to make sure you have way, way more content out of the gate. It's absolutely fun to make varied builds and looks, but when the content is the same every time, there's very little incentive to play the game the whole way through with a new character. Playing with a new build is fun, but re-playing the same content I've done with another character is not.
    Really? Nah. Not for me. I'm fine doing the same content with different characters.

And I'm so glad that since everyone dislikes "goodbye" posts/threads in the CO forums that we could have one posted here.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Pony's idea to create "leveless" content that scales to the character is a great idea that they should implement. Each area could be insular with a few ties to other areas of the game world, to promote some exploration or may a side arc/quest.

The Canadian Mountie hero is a great example of why they should do it. The mountie has no reason whatsoever to go to Millenium City, unless a story arc takes them there to protect something in Canada. Instead of level gating content, you gate it with story arcs.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    pipe dreams. really like the idea, though.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    yeah, i think it's a good idea but i obviously don't think it at all is going to be possible

Pony on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Oh god you're doing Nanowrimo. Dear god. (This is mostly a post of envy)

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    yeah, i think it's a good idea but i obviously don't think it at all is going to be possible

Actually, it's quite possible. It would be easier to design an insular world like that with a few ties between the regions, then try to manage all the storylines together.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    SkyCaptain wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »

Actually, it's quite possible. It would be easier to design an insular world like that with a few ties between the regions, then try to manage all the storylines together.

Perhaps you misunderstand. I am saying this game isn't going to do it. I would've liked that, but at this point we are beyond the stage where that kind of change could happen.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    It's quite possible that Microsoft and Apple will have a merger. It's quite possible Microsoft games division and Sony Games division will have a merger. It's quite possible for sony and nintendo to make a handheld game system that will play GBA, DS, PS1, PS2, and PSP games.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    floodriptidefloodriptide Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    A dev diary on champions power balance here:
    http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/76328

For those of us that feel compelled to dig up the numbers and formulas... or suffer from Powerhouse Agoraphobia.

floodriptide on
    Pelloquin @ The Secret World-TSM
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    A dev diary on champions power balance here:
    http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/76328

For those of us that feel compelled to dig up the numbers and formulas... or suffer from Powerhouse Agoraphobia.

Mathematical balancing is bad. It is almost never applied until months after a game is released, and the formula invariably calls for massive nerfs to stuff that was working just fine and players are used to. The "one player equals a lieutenant and two minions" bullshit they tried to pull in CoH was bad enough.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    bootzillabootzilla Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Does anyone know the macro language to switch between stances? I want to combine the usage of a power and a stance switch (and a potential costume switch tied to the stanch switch).

I know I saw this eons ago in the PA threads but now for the life of me, I can't find it.

bootzilla on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    what's a stance switch?

the answer is probably b for builds, and F5-F10 to change builds

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    bootzillabootzilla Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Stance switch = builds = i.e. moving from tanker (Protector role) to DPS (Avenger role) for instance

bootzilla on
  • Options
    TagTag Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    bootzilla wrote: »
    Does anyone know the macro language to switch between stances? I want to combine the usage of a power and a stance switch (and a potential costume switch tied to the stanch switch).

I know I saw this eons ago in the PA threads but now for the life of me, I can't find it.

/bind BUTTON "PowerSlots_SetCurrent X $$ PowerTrayExec 1 Y"

Where:
    BUTTON = bind target key
    X = build (0-3)
    Y = slot the power you want to activate is in (starting with your autoattack at 0 iirc and then going up along your bars to 14 and 15 for travel and 16 for block)

Edit: Unrelated, but unless someone else volunteers I'm happy to make the next thread when I get home from work. Too hard to do it from a phone atm though.

Tag on
    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Is there any friend referral type thing for Champions? Someone was telling me that they had trials people could give out, so I'm trying to find any info on this (if it's true or not) and if anyone could possibly hook me up?

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Kaseius wrote: »
    Is there any friend referral type thing for Champions? Someone was telling me that they had trials people could give out, so I'm trying to find any info on this (if it's true or not) and if anyone could possibly hook me up?

I too am interested in superhero shenanigans. Again.

I hate not having a job.

BlueDestiny on
This discussion has been closed.