As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW-Warriors] Blizzard's perfect class. Envy us.

JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid?Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
edited January 2011 in MMO Extravaganza
Ability_Warrior_ShieldBreak.png
"Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result." - Tien T'ai

This is the new Warrior thread. Same as the old one. Things haven't changed much for us. Very minor changes since 3.0. We're pretty much the untouchable class.

Last Updated 11/16/2009

Prot
Specs
Impale and Deep Wounds - Highest Threat Generation Spec
No Deep Wounds - Highest Avoidance Spec
Shield Wall Spec - For those fights when a 2 minute Shield Wall will save your ass.

Gearing
Prot gearing is relatively simple. Your number one goal is a defense of 540. This makes you uncrittable to raid bosses. Your second goal is 26 expertise. At 26 expertise, your attacks become dodge capped and it lowers the amount you are parried. Past 26 expertise, both Hit and Expertise offer the same amount un-boss-avoidance (seriously need a word for that). All three stats I mentioned are harder to get on early gear (ilevel 200 or less) but you'll be drowning in all 3 stats in higher gear levels (ToC/Uld). Beyond that, Stamina is your next most important stat. It's your health bar. Unfortunately WoW is suffering from discrimination in tanking. A lot of people won't take a tank with less than 30k hp, which is easy for Druids, DKs and Pallies to reach but much harder for Warriors. I do not recommend gemming/enchanting for stamina over defense if you're below 540 but if you find yourself dealing with a lot of dicks about your HP, you may have to. Also, as a last tip, don't gem for dodge, parry or block. Your avoidance will come with your gear.

Fury
Specs
Standard 18/53/0 spec - Points in Booming Voice, Commanding Presence, Weapon Mastery, and Heroic Fury are swing points. I recommend points in Cleave instead of Weapon Mastery and Heroic Fury.

Gearing
Two handers. Two handers. Two handers. Obviously Titan's Grip means you want two handers. Gearing for Fury is relatively easy. Because of your talents, you only need 5% hit to be special capped. 4% if you're a space cow (or raid with one frequently). Beyond that, hit will help your white hits but it shouldn't be prioritized for. 26 expertise is again needed to be dodged capped, a key when you have a offhand. Beyond that, you lower the amount of parries you deal with but it's not a bigger boost. The other three main stats for Fury are Crit, Strength and Armor Penetration. You want to aim for roughly 55% ArP if you have a Grim Toll or Mjolnir Runestone. Strength increases your AP by a lot because of the Imp. Berserker Stance talent and Crit, is well, it's Crit. You can't ever crit too much. Your biggest DPS increase will always be your weapons though. Jumping from a 226 to a 245 weapon will always be worth it, no matter what stats are on there. Except for speed, slower weapons are better.

Arms
Specs
Starter PVE DPS
Incite Build for higher gear levels

Gearing
Now I'm a bit biased because I'm an Arms warrior when I DPS, but I think Arms is the most complicated of the three Warrior specs. The main DPS stat is Armor Penetration. 100% is the goal, no joke. This is really tough to reach at lower gear levels and will require you dropping into Mail* and Leather to achieve it. At ToC/Uld levels, you can achieve this much easier. 2 pc Tier 9 is your best friend (6% ArP) and Banner of Victory (another 6% ArP) should be your first epic trinket. Arms Warriors need 8% hit because we lack the talent and other wise build up Crit and AP. Strength is less important for than it is for Fury, but AP is what is needed. Expertise is an odd stat for Arms, if an Arms Warrior gets dodged, it procs Overpower. Yes it will suck to lose that previous hit, but 30% crit, Overpower has an 80% crit chance. It's a guaranteed Crit practically, which keeps Deep Wounds rolling. New thoughts seem to be not to actively gear for Expertise, but if it comes your way, don't deny it. It's low on the priority list. As far as weapons go, Arms Warriors look for 2 Handed Axes and Polearms. Poleaxe spec is the best but if you're using a 200 Axe and a 245 Mace becomes available, don't be stupid and pass it up. Take it. You can always get a Justicebringer or Archon Glaive later. ;)

*-Mail gear has Int, so I know what you're thinking, but Int is budgeted out of Stamina. So you're not losing anything.

Other
Solo Old Content

So this spec was brought to my memory again. Basically what the spec does is allow you to have Bloodthirst so you can solo older content much easier. Level 70 heroics, Level 60 raids, etc. Floater points in Fury are Unbridled Wrath and 1/2 Imp. Intercept. Blood Craze, Enrage and Dual Wield Spec are worthless though. You'll be wearing 540 defense so you won't ever proc Blood Craze and Enrage is better handled for 2 points in the Prot tree. You'll be Sword & Boarding for this spec so no need for Dual Wield Spec. The Prot tree gives you many of the good lower tier Prot talents. The floater points are Imp Spell Reflect. Other suggestions are Imp. Disciplines or Imp. Bloodrage. You still need to maintain 540 defense because bosses are still Skull level, but mixing in as much DPS gear as possible would help your kill speed. I've personally used this spec to solo level 60 Onyxia.

Leveling
So what spec is best to level with? The nice thing about Warriors is that all three specs are viable to level with. Senshi summed this up pretty well, I think.
Senshi wrote: »
Well, all specs have their advantages. It's basically

do you enjoy large swords? Arms.
do you enjoy zero downtime? Fury.
do you enjoy pulling all the mobs for the quest at once? Several times over, maybe? Prot.

and another one for fun: do you enjoy steamrolling low-level battlegrounds? Prot.

Mods
Rating Buster - Converts all those pesky values into percentages so you know where you stand. It also compares what you're wearing to whatever you mouse over. Great mod.

Useful Websites
Elitist Jerks Warrior Subforum - http://elitistjerks.com/f81/
Tankspot - http://www.tankspot.com

JustinSane07 on

• MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I just noticed your name, you're not the same justinsane that plays a warrior on burning blade by chance are you? (Long shot and highly doubtful but thought I'd ask)

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Well it's spelled Justinsain (some level 10 horde has the correct spelling, boooo), but yes, I am.

I fear that I have something to apologize for.

JustinSane07 on
    edited November 2009
    I'm Katrice, I'm buddies with Raben, we used to raid together some nights.

I just remember you being a bit too serious about the game sometimes heh.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
    edited November 2009
    Did Raben quit? After BC broke up, like everyone from the guild just kind of vanished. I don't see anyone from them around anymore.

Also, you remember me being a bit too serious? Surely you jest.

JustinSane07 on
    edited November 2009
    Nah Raben and I took a break and we're doing up some horde characters, (Pally for me, Mage for him) and we're just enjoying a more casual play style for a while, but once both those characters hit 80 I'm sure we'll be back to raiding, but this time on horde heh.

If you remember Drak he took a big quit for a while though, dunno if he's come back or not.

MoSiAc on
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Warrior reunion thread!

forty on
  • JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hello, new warrior thread!

Justin, here's the Arms PVE spec I'm currently using. It is pretty standard I think.

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LhbGbfIt00bRdGuioGx00xb:msqz0M

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    For the Arms section of the OP:

Improved Execute build. Use this one if you're just getting started.

Incite build. May require a slightly higher gear level, as it relies on good rage generation.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2009
    Yeah I ripped Grundle's old specs from the main page of the last thread. I can't get on any of the WoW sites to build one. I'll grab those two links, Iroh.

JustinSane07 on
    edited November 2009
    OP updated with a whole bunch of shit.

JustinSane07 on
  • KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Here's an alternative Fury spec, Justin: Fury 18/53/0

It has glyphs in, too! Swing points can be put where they're needed (Imp. Execute, Improved Bloodrage, Heroic Fury, Furious Attacks, or Improved Intercept)

Glyph of Execute can be switched to glyph of Cleave if you're mainly doing heroics or just want to look good on meters.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    ugh, so I'm so rediculously poor in money and badges on my warrior and I need 4 epic gems and I've already taken so many from the gbank, that and I rarely have time to do anything other than raid so farming for shit is kinda tough. fml.

I also have 37 expertise, wtb gloves off anub and a new ring.

Minerva_SC on
    "If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Is it ever fashionably appropriate to *not* take Precision? I am so over the hit cap that I can remove the points, replace Stormedge with Edge of Agony, and still have the required 8%. I figured I'd give it a whirl, and I put the points into Furious attacks, since I mostly just raid now and the healing debuff comes in handy for ToC champions. Sort of "set it and forget it" in terms of screwing their healing and stuff.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Glyphs for Prot Warriors! I'm thinking Bloodrage, Charge, and Command for minors, and I can't decide on my last Major--I've already got Devastate and Blocking. Glyph of Last Stand? Shield Wall? Revenge? Shockwave? Resonating Power (Thunder Clap)? Sunder Armor?

It all depends on whether or not it's an MT or an OT, doesn't it? The more frequent cooldowns is great for the MT, whereas the extra AoE threat is great for an OT. Shit, I dunno.

HALP

Senshi on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I prefer cleaving and resonating power for AOE threat.

815165 on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    if you're tanking ToC or Ulduar hardmodes, go for Glyph of Shield Wall since the OT and the MT both take roughly the same amount of damage in most of the fights in there. Otherwise go for Revenge.

Dhalphir on
    edited November 2009
    Senshi wrote: »
    Glyphs for Prot Warriors! I'm thinking Bloodrage, Charge, and Command for minors, and I can't decide on my last Major--I've already got Devastate and Blocking. Glyph of Last Stand? Shield Wall? Revenge? Shockwave? Resonating Power (Thunder Clap)? Sunder Armor?

It all depends on whether or not it's an MT or an OT, doesn't it? The more frequent cooldowns is great for the MT, whereas the extra AoE threat is great for an OT. Shit, I dunno.

HALP

Rather than bloodrage I'd take glyph of thunderclap, to help combat mobs being stupid with their positioning.

The last major glyph for prot largely depends on what your warrior mainly tanks. Raids? Shield wall is a good idea. Heroics? Glyph of Cleave will go a long, long way toward holding shit off trigger-happy AoE DPS. Revenge is always a good glyph, too. Don't get Resonating Power, since 5 rage off thunderclap is insanely significant while tanking elites of any sort.

Kainy on
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I use:

Major: Blocking, Shield Wall, Last Stand
    Minor: Thunder Clap, Charge, Commanding Shout

When I was farming heroics constantly and my gear wasn't as good I ran blocking/devastate/cleave, but now my focus is hard modes so I switched to shield wall and last stand for 2 minute CDs.

Joshmvii on
  • JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I love how many viable glyphs Prot has. If only Arms and Fury had more actual choices.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited November 2009
    Jesuits wrote: »
    I love how many viable glyphs Prot has. If only Arms and Fury had more actual choices.
    The problem with DPS glyphs that in certain situations some of them will always be better than others, whereas with tanks and healers it seems it's alot more down to personal preference. I can't think of a way they could make this any different. :(

815165 on
    edited November 2009
    Too bad a lot of the prot glyph viability is in glyphs that get your cooldowns to the point where they're on par with the other tanks' baseline cooldowns.

forty on
    edited November 2009
    forty wrote: »
    Too bad a lot of the prot glyph viability is in glyphs that get your cooldowns to the point where they're on par with the other tanks' baseline cooldowns.
    I'm much happier having longer cooldowns that I'm less dependant on than the other way round.
    Iroh wrote: »
    Kainy wrote: »
    Rather than bloodrage I'd take glyph of thunderclap, to help combat mobs being stupid with their positioning.
    I used to think that, but that glyph is what, two yards extra? With a little finesse you can definitely do without it, whereas Bloodrage should be getting used frequently to keep the Heroic Strikes coming, and doing damage to yourself is slightly counter-productive from a tanking perspective.
    It's so little damage, though, if it makes the difference between life and death then the Bloodrage wasnt the problem anyway. A mob being just outside of your TC and gibbing your healer is a much bigger concern to me really.

815165 on
    edited November 2009
    I used to think that, but that glyph is what, two yards extra? With a little finesse you can definitely do without it, whereas Bloodrage should be getting used frequently to keep the Heroic Strikes coming, and doing damage to yourself is slightly counter-productive from a tanking perspective.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2009
    815165 wrote: »
    I'm much happier having longer cooldowns that I'm less dependant on than the other way round.
    Which class is the other way around?

Edit: And for hard mode/progression shit, you pretty much have to glyph for the shorter cooldowns and be dependent on them.

forty on
    edited November 2009
    On my DK, who's better geared than my Warrior, I feel super squishy for a tank between my CD's.

815165 on
    edited November 2009
    The only thing that should really be making your warrior less squishy than your DK is blocking, which everyone seems to say doesn't make much difference against any difficult raid encounters except for the dual wielding blenders like Thorim/Algalon.

forty on
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The only thing that should really be making your warrior less squishy than your DK is blocking, which everyone seems to say doesn't make much difference against any difficult raid encounters except for the dual wielding blenders like Thorim/Algalon.

Well how much damage reduction is the armor on the shield?

Seg on
    edited November 2009
    Forty is right about that. It's pretty stupid that Warriors have to take a talent that doesn't give any other benefits and glyph just to get a 2 minute shield wall. I won't compare to druids/DKs because their CDs are different enough not to really parallel, but Paladins get their shield wall to 2 minutes via a talent that also gives stamina.

Of course, Paladins are the bake everything in tank. Attack speed slow, AP debuff, it all gets baked into abilities they already use, so I don't know why it would make any more sense for Warriors to have it easy in the CD department. =)

Joshmvii on
    edited November 2009
    Seg wrote: »

That's accounted for by Frost Presence.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, warriors and DKs should be right around the same armor level, if not DKs being slightly higher. Warriors get 2% more damage reduction than non-frost DKs, but they also get 3% less stamina bonus than blood DKs, so that shouldn't be a major issue either.

forty on
    edited November 2009
    Seg wrote: »

That's accounted for by Frost Presence.

Does Frost Presence also account for Defensive Stance?

edit: I can understand why someone would feel squishier as a DK. Having a shield helps you feel like you can handle more then not having a shield. I also know that Blizzard tries to compensate for it with various skills and abilities.

Seg on
    edited November 2009

The damage bloodrage does is pretty insignificant. 1300 isn't going to be your margin of survival against bosses that hit for 10k+, and if it is, you should know better than to bloodrage while at low health. Rage for heroic strikes, between focused rage, improve heroic strike, and getting a full rage bar every time you're smacked, is pretty much a nonissue.

Finesse matters little when mob pathing is being retarded, I think. I've had mobs walk through me to stand behind me and attack, after pulling them, so many times that I'm going to do everything I can to prop up my lackluster AoE threat's area.

Kainy on
    edited November 2009
    The bloodrage glyph is fully pointless to have as Prot. 90% of the time when I use bloodrage it's so I can put up commanding shout about 30 seconds before I pull the boss. If you're raid tanking, you aren't going to need to bloodrage mid boss fight, and if you do, all you did was shave 1200 damage of your healers overhealing.

Joshmvii on
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Finesse matters little when mob pathing is being retarded, I think. I've had mobs walk through me to stand behind me and attack, after pulling them, so many times that I'm going to do everything I can to prop up my lackluster AoE threat's area.

I'm running into this CONSTANTLY. I don't feel like it's realm lag or anything, since I'm typically 20-30ms latency. I'll have something in front of me, and it'll do whatever it can to get behind me. May be a bug from the patch that made pets do that? It's doubtful since it doesn't happen every time, but annoying as hell. Groups yell at me to stop moving the boss/mobs around... but I'm not as effective when I'm completely surrounded.

On typical packs of mobs, I solve this by backpeddling until they're all in front, then Shockwave to stun them in place while I stand where I want.

GPIA7R on
    edited November 2009
    Honestly for the last few weeks I've been having all kinds of weird mob pathing issues (stuff running behind my druid when I'm tanking it, mobs evade bugging while running to my warlock on level, unobstructed ground, and an underground elite kicking my warlock's ass across 1/4 of dragonblight).

I wonder if it's a global issue or if I'm just spectacularly unlucky

Kainy on
    edited November 2009
    GPIA7R, be glad you're not a Tauren. Our huge hitboxes mean that the slightest twitch in movement makes mobs do some really screwy stuff. But then again, my weapon is bigger than a Blood Elf, so it's a trade off I can live with. :mrgreen:

Joshmvii on
    edited November 2009
    GPIA7R wrote: »

I'm running into this CONSTANTLY. I don't feel like it's realm lag or anything, since I'm typically 20-30ms latency. I'll have something in front of me, and it'll do whatever it can to get behind me. May be a bug from the patch that made pets do that? It's doubtful since it doesn't happen every time, but annoying as hell. Groups yell at me to stop moving the boss/mobs around... but I'm not as effective when I'm completely surrounded.

On typical packs of mobs, I solve this by backpeddling until they're all in front, then Shockwave to stun them in place while I stand where I want.

I have found this happening to me as well, what tends to help me is letting the mobs settle and then tapping my key to step back a tiny bit. I couldn't give you a theory about why it is happening except that it reminds me of some of the wierd stuff that would happen when I would charge at a mob that was running towards me.

Seg on
    edited November 2009

The damage bloodrage does is pretty insignificant. 1300 isn't going to be your margin of survival against bosses that hit for 10k+, and if it is, you should know better than to bloodrage while at low health. Rage for heroic strikes, between focused rage, improve heroic strike, and getting a full rage bar every time you're smacked, is pretty much a nonissue.

Are we talking heroics or raid encounters here? If you ever raid tank, glyphing TC over Bloodrage is plainly stupid. Having rage on demand in threat-sensitive fights like General Vezax or Hodir is important, and not jeopardizing your survival for it is several times more valuable than being able to be sloppy on your 5-man pulls. For the 9 deaths out of 10 where you wouldn't have survived by that amount of HP, your argument holds water, but personally I am not okay with it happening even just that one other time.

I really don't have a clue how mobs walking behind you presents issues for your Thunderclap range, either.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2009
    The issue isn't the walking behind me, it's the constant walking around and repositioning of themselves that frequently will move mobs out of TC's very small radius.

I am, however, primarily a heroic tank, I only tank raids when it's absolutely necessary, since I really dislike warrior tanking. The only reason I tank heroics as often as I do is because I don't feel like waiting in LFG for an hour and a half with the other 30 DPS in the system :lol:

Kainy on
    edited November 2009
    I have not encountered a "threat sensitive" fight in WotLK. There is not a single fight I've had agro issues on.

But we also have really good rogues and hunters in my guild.

JustinSane07 on
This discussion has been closed.