As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Root Canal

BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Social Entropy++
So because I like candy and haven't had dental insurance in a while
I've had to have two root canals in as many months
I just got through with the second one today
It was pretty painful
The weird thing is it always seems to hurt during a different part of the procedure
This time it was the actual rooting at the beginning
Last time it was the different kind of rooting at the end
When I had the procedure done like five years ago the actual root canal was fine
but fitting the crown hurt like hell

So what painful medical things have happened to you guys
more diseases than accidents
accidents always end up as just bragging

Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
BusterK on

• ferrets54ferrets54 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    My wisdom teeth are coming through. There is a tiny slither of flesh over the biggest.

ferrets54 on
  • GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Watch me brag about it anyway.

I had my wisdom teeth taken out, but I didn't use any of the painkillers they gave me to use for the month-or-so afterwards. It was a sort of self-control thing.

And it's the whole BLOOD COMING OUT OF YOUR MOUTH FOR WEEKS part that is worse than the pain of any of it.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    GSM wrote: »

I had my wisdom teeth taken out, but I didn't use any of the painkillers they gave me to use for the month-or-so afterwards. It was a sort of self-control thing.

Just the top or all four?
    cause I swelled up like a chipmunk when I had all four pulled out

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • ferrets54ferrets54 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I've already had a tooth out with no aenesthetic, and I have no intention of ever repeating the experience.

ferrets54 on
    edited March 2007
    BusterK wrote: »

All four.
    I still looked like I was eating something, but not as much as I expected.

GSM on
  • Eastern GlowEastern Glow Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    BusterK wrote: »

All four.
    I still looked like I was eating something, but not as much as I expected.

Hey me too. I think the best part of the ordeal is when you can see all the blood and nerves splatter all over the dentist's goggles (?) and you can smell the mist of bones coming from the confines of your mouth. Then theres the whole ungodly amount of blood spilling out of your mouth for weeks on end. Then the worst part...dry sockets....D:

Eastern Glow on
  • BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    My doctor was a fucking idiot when I had my wisdom teeth extracted and prescribed me asprin
    Guess who had to go to the hospital within a few hours cause he couldn't stop bleeding?
    On the bright side it was the first time I ever got to go to the head of the line in triage

BusterK on
  • ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This is the part where I consider not eating these Skittles to avoid this crap

Scrumtrulescent on
    edited March 2007
    I consider it and then do it anyway

BusterK on
  • ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Oh, yeah.

You think I'd actually stop eating them?

Scrumtrulescent on
  • QuadropheniaQuadrophenia Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm getting my wisdom teeth out this summer. I don't know how I feel about it.

Quadrophenia on
    I'm so tired of partying.
  • Eastern GlowEastern Glow Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm getting my wisdom teeth out this summer. I don't know how I feel about it.

Are you going to be put out or awake through it?

Eastern Glow on
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So far I have seen hide nor hair of my wisdom teeth.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    edited March 2007
    I have no idea. Hopefully put out. I can't remember what my brother did when he got his out. All I remember was him coming home fucked up on the drugs they gave him. It was pretty funny.

Quadrophenia on
  • BergyBergy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Maybe some drilling on an anal cavity is in order.

Bergy on
    ChicagoBulls01.jpg
    I've been trying to reach you, but your extension cord doesn't reach that far.
  • ThaoxThaox Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
  • scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Wha

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hey I didn't

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
    edited March 2007
    So far I have not seen hide nor hair of my wisdom teeth.

Maybe that's because teeth have neither hide nor hair?

GSM on
  • Captain CthulhuCaptain Cthulhu Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm a fucking giant, so my wisdon teeth came it, I went to the dentist expecting him to want to take them out but he was all, nah, those are fine. So Mines are just there and happy.

Captain Cthulhu on
    edited March 2007
    Butters wrote: »
    So far I have seen hide nor hair of my wisdom teeth.

It's because you're more highly evolved than us and don't have them.

Quadrophenia on
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I have a hole in my tooth still from when I walked outa the dentists because he wasn't using enough novacaine and was being a dick.

I found a new dentist though that is much better, he's very nice and uses enough novacaine that I didn't even feel it when he was doing a root canal on me.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I had a root canal back in the day. It really didn't hurt at all. Then a few years later, the tooth was pretty fucked again, and they decided to just pull it out. The younger dentist at the place was doing it and he went to give me another shot to numb stuff and ended up hitting the nerve or something. It hurt like fuck, and was the only time anything at the dentist had ever hurt enough to make me tear up.

The next day I had a damn bruise on my face, which also happened to be during the big annual 4-H event, where I had to MC the little fashion show. The dentist ended up being there and when he saw my face he apologized repeatedly for the rest of the night.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I had my wisdom teeth out last year (all 4). 3 of them were impacted which means being put under for oral surgery and
    impactedwisdomtoothaner6.gif

Weretaco on
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I cracked a tooth in the back of my mouth playing rugby, and it needs to be removed. The nerve was exposed for a while, but it seems to have totally died.

I really should go to a dentist, but strangely I am more scared of a dentist than I am of the pain and probable health problems I am causing myself.

Reginald on
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    my friends sister went to have her wisdom teeth pulled out. They drugged her up so bad, that right when she stepped foot outside the building she fell on her face and broke tons of teeth and had to wear headgear for like 2-3 months.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
    edited March 2007
    Nogs wrote: »
    my friends sister went to have her wisdom teeth pulled out. They drugged her up so bad, that right when she stepped foot outside the building she fell on her face and broke tons of teeth and had to wear headgear for like 2-3 months.

That's one hell of a scam that dentist's got going.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    uhhh impending litigation.

Reginald on
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    yeah it was pretty damn ironic.

EDIT: I dunno if they ever sued, this was like 5 years ago when I was in high school

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
    edited March 2007
    I still had two baby teeth senior year of high school. Towards the front of my mouth too, a bicuspid and a canine, I believe. One of them, the new tooth had come in, broken the old one in half and only pushed half of it out. So I had half a tooth that basically still had all the root on it. The canine, the new tooth had come in kinda in front of it, but the old tooth was still entirely there.

I go to the dentist and he looks at them and think that the back one is mostly gone so he's gonna pull that one first, while we get the front half of my mouth numbed up. They give me a couple shots, a big one in the front and a little one in the back. He goes to pull the back tooth and finds out how much root was left.

Seeing all of the root there, he assumes that pulling it must've hurt like hell when it actually didn't, and proceeds to give me another shot for the pain.

This was all done during my open hour in the morning so I went to my first class completely numb on half of my face and unable to blink properly. On top of that, I'd been sick for the past week, and the teacher of this first class was the worst teacher I'd ever had. I believe I ended up leaving class because he kept grilling me about shit and I was too fucked up to think very hard.

Also this teacher fucking cried on the first day of class, and usually would be in tears by the end of every class.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Jordyn wrote: »
    I still had two baby teeth senior year of high school. Towards the front of my mouth too, a bicuspid and a canine, I believe. One of them, the new tooth had come in, broken the old one in half and only pushed half of it out. So I had half a tooth that basically still had all the root on it. The canine, the new tooth had come in kinda in front of it, but the old tooth was still entirely there.

I go to the dentist and he looks at them and think that the back one is mostly gone so he's gonna pull that one first, while we get the front half of my mouth numbed up. They give me a couple shots, a big one in the front and a little one in the back. He goes to pull the back tooth and finds out how much root was left.

Seeing all of the root there, he assumes that pulling it must've hurt like hell when it actually didn't, and proceeds to give me another shot for the pain.

This was all done during my open hour in the morning so I went to my first class completely numb on half of my face and unable to blink properly. On top of that, I'd been sick for the past week, and the teacher of this first class was the worst teacher I'd ever had. I believe I ended up leaving class because he kept grilling me about shit and I was too fucked up to think very hard.

Also this teacher fucking cried on the first day of class, and usually would be in tears by the end of every class.

I made a teacher cry in high school

We were in an English class of like 10 people. She assigned a dumb homework assignment, and no one did it. (something along the lines of "drag home your giant literature book, read this 20 page story, and write down how it makes you 'feel') Not even the straight 'A' girl did it. She asked to see it and no one made a move; she started to break down.

I actually felt kinda bad since she was a good teacher other than that one assignment.

ZeroFill on
    edited March 2007
    This teacher was a complete asshat. He would cry at nothing. We wouldn't even do anything and oh god open the floodgates. It only took about a week of this for absolutely no one to respect him. It was his first and last year at our high school. He was the most unstable fuck in the world. He moved away from his wife and kids to take the job, make some money and then move them and oh lord did he rub that great "sacrifice" in our faces every chance he got. No one even fucking cared after a while. He'd start gassing on and it was like "Fine, so fucking leave."

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2007
    I've had 5 root canals

I have very bad teeth

but only the 5th one hurt. the rest were actually more "comfortable" than getting cavities filled

the dentist that did them had hands as soft as clouds

Garlic Bread on
  • ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    I've had 5 root canals

I have very bad teeth

but only the 5th one hurt. the rest were actually more "comfortable" than getting cavities filled

He was dreamy, wasn't he

ZeroFill on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2007
    ZeroFill wrote: »
    Keith wrote: »
    I've had 5 root canals

I have very bad teeth

He was dreamy, wasn't he

during one of them I was like "man, if I got a boner, this would be awkward."

then i was like "man, if I got a boner, it would be sexy"

but instead i almost fell asleep

Garlic Bread on
    edited March 2007
    I was surprised mine today didn't use a dental dam
    When I asked him about it
    He said, "Nah that's for college kids."

He only took like 25 minutes for the whole thing though
    So I trust he knew what he was doing

BusterK on
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Spinal tap.

I was 5 and I remember the pain.

Not the band.

Meiz on
  • J. GrantJ. Grant Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Just now, at the age of 32, had my damn last 2 wisdoms out.

You kids: go get them out NOW. Before they get all nasty and infected.

J. Grant on
    edited March 2007
    Meiz wrote: »
    Spinal tap.

I was 5 and I remember the pain.

Not the band.

You know I wanted people to not just talk about teeth
    I should have titled this "painful medical procedures"

BusterK on
    edited March 2007
    J. Grant wrote: »
    Just now, at the age of 32, had my damn last 2 wisdoms out.

You kids: go get them out NOW. Before they get all nasty and infected.

But I don't even have them yet.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg