As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

GO VOTE - 1st Tues in November (not as big as last year)[Elections]

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Guys, the result you were all waiting for;
    Dave Bing has won the Mayoral election in Detroit.

They still have mayors in Detroit?

I figured they just passed the conch around nowadays.

Also, is the whole "you can never increase revenues again you fuckers" initiative something that's just going to show up on every state/local ballot everywhere for the rest of time? I can't remember the last time I didn't have to vote against that nonsense.

Good to see 71 looks like it'll pass...I mean, bleh to domestic partnerships but it's better than nothing which seems to be the alternative..

mcdermott on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    And one thing needs to be said-

It's ALWAYS good to see Tim Eyman get kicked in the jibblies by the electorate.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Guys, the result you were all waiting for;
    Dave Bing has won the Mayoral election in Detroit.

They still have mayors in Detroit?

I figured they just passed the conch around nowadays.

Also, is the whole "you can never increase revenues again you fuckers" initiative something that's just going to show up on every state/local ballot everywhere for the rest of time? I can't remember the last time I didn't have to vote against that nonsense.

Good to see 71 looks like it'll pass...I mean, bleh to domestic partnerships but it's better than nothing which seems to be the alternative..

1033 was your standard Tim Eyman douchebaggery. There'll be another one next election too.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    So the village's narrative is going to be interesting to watch. Palin-Armey-Pawlenty-Beck loose in Upstate New York, hated Governor in NJ gets ousted, VA continues its curse to Governors who share their party with the White House, and Maine breaks against gay marriage by ~25k votes while WA favours it in everything but name.

Either they're going to be ignoring all the bad news for Republicans part, squabbling over which election represents the true referendum on Obama, or their heads are going to explode from cognitive dissonance. Should be fun.

Definitely not this. The smart republicans have built up an immunity to cognitive dissonance. The dumb ones can't figure it out.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    mcdermott wrote: »

TABOR is the bad penny of American politics.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Heh, Balloon Juice is making my joke in their tags. Every post is being tagged with "Good News for Conservatives."

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    psychotix wrote: »
    And fuck yes, it looks like Tom Carr is getting his ass handed to him. Pro-cop, anti-nightlife, pro-war-on-drugs cocksucker needed to go.
    Nothing wrong with being pro police, it's like being pro fire department, they fill a role, even if they can be jerks.
    o_O

What the hell is your problem with fire departments?

Fire departments are filled with people.

This occasionally leads to problems.

RedTide on
    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    And fuck yes, it looks like Tom Carr is getting his ass handed to him. Pro-cop, anti-nightlife, pro-war-on-drugs cocksucker needed to go.
    Nothing wrong with being pro police, it's like being pro fire department, they fill a role, even if they can be jerks.
    o_O

What the hell is wrong with your cops? Sorry but pillaging the cops and military is a standard progressive stance, along with not joining them, EVER.

psychotix on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    And one thing needs to be said-

It's ALWAYS good to see Tim Eyman get kicked in the jibblies by the electorate.

At this point, I just vote "no" on anything Eyman is pushing. It's helped that his ideas are universally bad ideas, but at this point he could push an initiative that ends hunger and brings about world peace and I'd still vote no. If the dude wants to be involved in local politics so fucking much, he needs to just run for a fucking office instead of passing every tiny pet tax break he can think of into an initiative. So I can watch him get crushed like the worm that he is.

Houn on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    o_O

What the hell is wrong with your cops? Sorry but pillaging the cops and military is a standard progressive stance, along with not joining them, EVER.

Well, progressives do prefer to graduate.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I have to say I was really not expecting the Owens win at all. It's nice to go to bed upbeat.

I'll get all depressed about Maine and such silliness tomorrow morning.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    o_O

I could give you a rather hefty list of structural and institutional problems that need to be addressed by policy, and of which individuals have no impact --outside of the policy makers. Can't quite do the same with regards to firefighters and EMS workers around here.

Don't really know of any examples with regards to military personnel since Vietnam, and that's more due to damn hippies than anything else. Everything else is budgetary and/or pork.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »
    o_O

Hey, thanks douchebag.

RedTide on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    o_O

Nice attack but you can still graduate and join any of them, and get a promotion and have more influence over them. But when they don't, and just rant about them from the side lines it makes "LOL liberals hate the military and the cops" a rather valid statement, it's also why boating Kerry worked.

psychotix on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    I have to say I was really not expecting the Owens win at all. It's nice to go to bed upbeat.

might as well get depressed about it now, the yes votes have all but won

Rust on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

I'd have preferred the results were switched, but cest la vie. I wonder which state is up next for gay marriage, which will likely be a 52/48 split in our favour.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Rust wrote: »

might as well get depressed about it now, the yes votes have all but won

I swear to god If I end up losing my pension plan in favor of a 401k, I'm going to ruin every family gathering from here to retirement.

RedTide on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    o_O

I could give you a rather hefty list of structural and institutional problems that need to be addressed by policy, and of which individuals have no impact --outside of the policy makers. Can't quite do the same with regards to firefighters and EMS workers around here.

Don't really know of any examples with regards to military personnel since Vietnam, and that's more due to damn hippies than anything else. Everything else is budgetary and/or pork.

Being in NOVA we have a ton of military officers here and our economy depends on them. I know of a couple fire departments (I'm looking at your Burke) that managed to burn their own firehouse down :lol:, the cops are fine.

psychotix on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Fuck you Maine.

Fuck YOU!

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I know of a couple fire departments (I'm looking at your Burke) that managed to burn their own firehouse down

Volunteer or paid?

it's funny either way and shit happens, but I'm curious.

RedTide on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    o_O

Nice attack but you can still graduate and join any of them, and get a promotion and have more influence over them. But when they don't, and just rant about them from the side lines it makes "LOL liberals hate the military and the cops" a rather valid statement, it's also why boating Kerry worked.

Yeah, being a liberal who is also station chief or a veteran detective isn't going to solve policy issues or change any of the lobbying dynamics.

And swiftboating Kerry worked for a lot of reasons; most of them not having anything to do with 'lol liberals hate the military.'

moniker on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    RedTide wrote: »
    I know of a couple fire departments (I'm looking at your Burke) that managed to burn their own firehouse down

Volunteer or paid?

it's funny either way and shit happens, but I'm curious.

A mix. But when my parents got sick of Arlington/Georgetown and moved to Burke the City FD burned to the fucking ground and had to beg for money, not the first time crap like that has happened. I laughed.

psychotix on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Being in NOVA we have a ton of military officers here and our economy depends on them. I know of a couple fire departments (I'm looking at your Burke) that managed to burn their own firehouse down :lol:, the cops are fine.

None of which addresses my points, and all of the cops I've ever known or interacted with have been great as individuals. That doesn't make the structural problems any less real. But then this isn't really the thread for it either.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    AP calls it for bigotry.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    o_O

At which point the troops bitch about how you're too stupid to have not gotten into college. Because somehow being able to earn a degree is a sign of incompetence.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    A mix. But when my parents got sick of Arlington/Georgetown and moved to Burke the City FD burned to the fucking ground and had to beg for money, not the first time crap like that has happened. I laughed.

Irony and tragedy make for the funniest of bedfellows.

RedTide on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    o_O

Yeah, being a liberal who is also station chief or a veteran detective isn't going to solve policy issues or change any of the lobbying dynamics.

And swiftboating Kerry worked for a lot of reasons; most of them not having anything to do with 'lol liberals hate the military.'

It did here, in NOVA of all places, because the military/serving your country is something that the far left says only flunkies do. That's an attitude most of the left displays.

If the dems are ever not going to be the "party that hates our troops" that shit needs to change.

psychotix on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yes, clearly the party with leadership that never served themselves that sends troops into harms way for bullshit political reasons and no actual gain have MUCH more respect for those who serve.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Bloomberg got a pretty awful return on his $100 million. A win by only 50k votes? Yeah, he won the race, but damn. Not that it really matters to him to begin with.

And BOOO! to Maine. Maine, you're on notice (again)!

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    So at this point, who isn't in the hole.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I wonder what kind of effect the whole "Hey, let's change the term limits so I can run again" thing had on Bloomberg's results.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    o_O

At which point the troops bitch about how you're too stupid to have not gotten into college. Because somehow being able to earn a degree is a sign of incompetence.

Ummmm, NO.

But the far left which comes from good economic backgrounds can pay for it they don't join, a ton of people on the far right join the service so they can pay for it. You're attitude on this is horrid.

Fact is, more rich conservatives join the service who don't need to for economic reasons, then liberals do. Hence why the military, has been, and remains, part of the right in majority. Till you get the progressives to start serving in the officer corps post college in good amounts, the military will remain Republican, and no arguments from the left will hold water with them.

I'd like to see that change, but attitudes like yours are why it will not.

psychotix on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    So a little over half a million people voted in Maine, and that constitutes about half of their voting populace.

Man some states are tiny.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

The gays.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

New York isn't last I checked, though our state level shenanigans are getting a bit excessive.

werehippy on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

The gays.

[Insert glory hole joke here]

moniker on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    RedTide wrote: »

Irony and tragedy make for the funniest of bedfellows.

Indeed

psychotix on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    o_O

Ummmm, NO.

But the far left which comes from good economic backgrounds can pay for it they don't join, a ton of people on the far right join the service so they can pay for it. You're attitude on this is horrid.

Fact is, more rich conservatives join the service who don't need to for economic reasons, then liberals do. Hence why the military, has been, and remains, part of the right in majority. Till you get the progressives to start serving in the officer corps post college in good amounts, the military will remain Republican, and no arguments from the left will hold water with them.

I'd like to see that change, but attitudes like yours are why it will not.

[citation]

More to the point, as awesome as your cutting insight into the flaws of the far left is, how about you start a thread for people who at least theoretically give a shit about whatever weird mental model of the world you've built so the election thread stops getting crapped up.

werehippy on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Here's a simpler explanation psychotix: the military tradition in this country is largely southern and white. White southern males are overwhelmingly Republican.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Here's a simpler explanation psychotix: the military tradition in this country is largely southern and white. White southern males are overwhelmingly Republican.

Not to mention the uneducated.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]