As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box

1234568»

• MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    http://www.professorlaytonds.com/find/

The Professor is touring 4 cities in promotion of Diabolical Box! Now, this one of the few times where Miami turns out to be socially relevant in the sense of videogames so I will be on the scene taking snappies and such.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    MarioG wrote: »
    http://www.professorlaytonds.com/find/

The Professor is touring 4 cities in promotion of Diabolical Box! Now, this one of the few times where Miami turns out to be socially relevant in the sense of videogames so I will be on the scene taking snappies and such.

What they should have done is expand the tour to more cities and make people do the travelling salesman problem if they want to determine the order the tour's going in.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    After buying this Day 1, I finally finished this the other day after picking it up from my backlog. Loved it to pieces, and now I just sit here and wait for the third one.

I have no idea why, but I love the characters and plot in both of these games. There's so little characterization, but it's all done so nicely, and the setting is so well realized that I find myself genuinely interested in the narrative plot of a game that's just a series of logic puzzles. Simple, but touching.

And yes, fuck those sliding block puzzles with a broomstick. Other than that, the game was sheer gold. My favorite new franchise in years!

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I still haven't solved "The Diabolical Box", but I did recently grab all of the weekly puzzles I've been ignoring and plowed through them.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I still need to get this.

Is the story as good as the first one Lunker?

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I still need to get this.

Is the story as good as the first one Lunker?

I liked it a lot. In retrospect, though, I don't think it's as evenly paced as the first one. There's a slow drip of info at the beginning, and then you get hit with a lot right at the end. And the general plot is kind of silly when you look back on it, but then again the first one's story was pretty silly when you look back on it (Layton 1 plot spoiler):
    Hey, I built an entire town and populated it with robots to watch over my daughter!
    But just as with the first game, I think the way it's told is strong enough that you buy into the story, even if it's a little crazy. If you liked the plot in the first one, you'll really dig the second. What I like about both games is that they have a very strong storybook vibe; the world and characters are really relateable, and if there were a Layton movie I'd be there day 1 to see it because I love those animation sequences—the one at the end is awesome.

And the puzzles are still spot on; I didn't cry bullshit as much as I did in the first one, but maybe I was more liberal with my hint coins this time. And yes, sliding block puzzles can still go eat a dick. But I felt there was more diversity of puzzles, and I dug the camera and hamster minigames a lot.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    and if there were a Layton movie I'd be there day 1 to see it because I love those animation sequences—the one at the end is awesome.

I'll just leave this here then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9qn56teC2o

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yes, i really want that Layton movie to make it to the states.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    From what I understand, a lot of Layton 2's puzzles were put in Layton 1 when it was brought to America. This caused a few issues when Layton 2 now didn't have enough puzzles, so I think they may have just made some new puzzles for us.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • swiftswift Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I know its slightly late but I finally finished this after getting side tracked by my dissertation. Thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing and can't wait for more Layton, really wish there were more enjoyable puzzle games like this.

swift on
    nexx360.png