As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Free MMO Überlist (updated: Oct 11)

1525354555658»

• ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Mith wrote: »
    Zandracon wrote: »
    Valkyrie Sky has been fun, though there are some parts of it that I'm still trying to figure out, like pets, no idea what they can do, they have an ability tab though.

The main thing is that you can collect resources (wood/fabric/rock/metal) with them on the world map, from those small floating rocks you see around. I'm not sure whether they get better at this or other side benefits pop up.

Yeah, Dac told me about that. It gives you something to do when you're waiting for night to end, so that's nice. Dunno how much this stuff goes for on the auction house, but I could probably make a bit if I tried.

Zandracon on
  • tibbitstibbits Registered User new member
    edited November 2009
    NAND NOR wrote: »
    So would you guys say that Dragonica Online is pretty good as a casual time waster? I'm not playing any pay to play MMOs right now, but have thinking of finding a free game I can just pick up now and again.

I guess I'm just looking for a game that isn't too grindy, or at least doesn't feel that way.

Dragonica is definitely pretty grindy from like level 20 onward, however; the pvp so far has proved to break up the monotony rather nicely. Assuming you are into pvp, quirky humor, and sharkpirates wielding sawfish I would recommend trying it out.

tibbits on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Anybody playing Jade Dynasty? It's actually pretty good. There's low variety in the creatures (you'll have to do 4-5 quests that require you to kill the same mob) but the storyline is at least somewhat interesting and the graphics are quite good for a free MMOG.

EDIT: There are also some features that reduce the monotony of grinding. For one, you can meditate, which is something to do while you go AFK. You gain small amounts of exp periodically and it doesn't require any reagents or anything. The second is honest-to-goodness botting. You can set up what kind of skills you want to use, when to use them, how often to use potions, when to use them etc. The quest journal also track NPC/mob locations, so all you have to do is click the name and you'll automatically go there. Clicking anywhere on the map also allows you to set a waypoint.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Meta T. DustMeta T. Dust Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Are there instances, and can a party set up macros in a way to manage this instance without human interference.

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Anybody playing Jade Dynasty? It's actually pretty good. There's low variety in the creatures (you'll have to do 4-5 quests that require you to kill the same mob) but the storyline is at least somewhat interesting and the graphics are quite good for a free MMOG.

EDIT: There are also some features that reduce the monotony of grinding. For one, you can meditate, which is something to do while you go AFK. You gain small amounts of exp periodically and it doesn't require any reagents or anything. The second is honest-to-goodness botting. You can set up what kind of skills you want to use, when to use them, how often to use potions, when to use them etc. The quest journal also track NPC/mob locations, so all you have to do is click the name and you'll automatically go there. Clicking anywhere on the map also allows you to set a waypoint.
    Wait what? If it is that easy to bot, how much fun is the actual combat?

Aldo on
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Aldo wrote: »

Actually combat is as "fun" as any other MMO.

The botting in it can get your character killed though. So you don't want to let it run for too long unattended. You can set it to loot only certain items, or you can set it to not loot specific things. You can also set it to only attack the mobs you need for your quests.

I didn't get far enough in that I was in need of grouping. But they do have the basic MMO class sets. (One class you pick is considered the Tank, one is considered the Healer and the others are various forms Damage Dealing. And in the starting area, there are quests that test your control with mouse and keyboard. Jumps into specific trees, or on to walls/rooftops.

Seg on
  • LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So, Dungeon Fighter Online is the best free MMO I've ever played, and may just be the best free game I've played.

LibrarianThorne on
    edited November 2009
    So, Dungeon Fighter Online is the best free MMO I've ever played, and may just be the best free game I've played.

Have you played Dragonica?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited November 2009
    Seg wrote: »

Actually combat is as "fun" as any other MMO.

The botting in it can get your character killed though. So you don't want to let it run for too long unattended. You can set it to loot only certain items, or you can set it to not loot specific things. You can also set it to only attack the mobs you need for your quests.

I didn't get far enough in that I was in need of grouping. But they do have the basic MMO class sets. (One class you pick is considered the Tank, one is considered the Healer and the others are various forms Damage Dealing. And in the starting area, there are quests that test your control with mouse and keyboard. Jumps into specific trees, or on to walls/rooftops.
    So combat: not fun. :P

It still sounds interesting, though.

Aldo on
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So combat: not fun. :P

It still sounds interesting, though.

I enjoyed combat when I was at the keyboard. I also enjoyed combat in Perfect World.

Seg on
  • sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Some screenies of Allods Online:
    AOgame2009-10-3018-14-10-30.jpg
    Random NPC

AOgame2009-10-2517-21-37-99.jpg
    Arisen mage (Arisen being the only race that really does the "barely there armor" thing, and it's more scary than sexy)

AOgame2009-10-2514-16-36-57.jpg
    I like sun flares.

AOgame2009-10-2523-19-51-44.jpg
    Yes I do!

AOgame2009-10-2521-40-53-76.jpg
    Inside a Galleon... I think.

AOgame2009-10-3018-29-49-16.jpg
    NOT a Blood Elf >_>

AOgame2009-10-3018-44-23-57.jpg
    It burns us preciousssss

sidhaethe on
    edited November 2009
    Is Allods as cool as it looks? And those Gibbler things, do you play 3 at a time?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited November 2009
    I can't speak much to how cool it is past level 5 or so, but til then I think it's slightly better than your same-old MMO experience. As for Gibberlings, yeah, you control all three as one.

sidhaethe on
    edited November 2009
    sidhaethe wrote: »
    I can't speak much to how cool it is past level 5 or so, but til then I think it's slightly better than your same-old MMO experience. As for Gibberlings, yeah, you control all three as one.

That's pretty much an instant sell for me. How can anyone resist? It's three vicious little fuzzy white monster poodles.

I'm going to give this here Archlord a shot, and see how she goes. JD is alright, but I realize now that I spend 90% of the time meditating. The rest of the game, in spite of being good to look at, is not very enjoyable.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited November 2009
    In short: Archlord is not good. I waited 2 and a half hours to download and patch the client, and played for 10 minutes. In 10 minutes, I consumed about 20 potions fighting level 1 and 2 monsters, and I only had 20 potions because of the Halloween events. The graphics are awful, and the controls lag.

Avoid.

EDIT: And just to add something to the list, Godswar Online. No idea what it's like. Not willing to find out.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited November 2009
    Allods looks wicked, I'm very interested in playing it one day.

Added:

GodsWar
    Cutesy MMO in an ancient Greek setting. Nothing sets it apart from other MMOs

Aldo on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Have you played Dragonica?
    I've played a lot of dragonica and a little bit of DFO. I liked DFO's controls more. Looked like almost everything combat wise could be done with two buttons.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    http://www.mmorpg.com/newsroom.cfm/read/15391/Warhammer-Online-Experience-Tier-1-For-Free-Forever.html

Warhammer Online : Experience Tier 1 For Free, Forever!
    Posted Oct 30, 2009 by Michael Bitton

Nestled away in the overview of of Version 1.3.2 "Path of Conquest" in this month's WAR newsletter are details of some pretty significant changes coming to Warhammer Online.

This month's newsletter reveals that the currently available 10 day free trial will soon be free of any time restrictions, meaning that players can essentially play the game free of charge as long as they remain in Tier 1. This sounds awfully similar to the "Freemium" model that the Chronicles of Spellborn had been utilizing not long ago.

There aren't currently any details on whether or not any additional restrictions would be applied, though it would probably be safe to assume that any restrictions (such as being limited to Tier 1) that are currently part of the 10 day trial would remain.

For more information about the Free Trial, read the Trial FAQ here.

citizen059 on
    edited November 2009
    I thought Tier 1 PvP was enjoyable, so that's cool. Might grab some new customers, too.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited November 2009
    I've got so much stuff to add to the list now. There was some F2P news in my gaming magazine too (Mytheon most notably) and the bloke who linked his blog a page or 3 ago also had some games I was missing.

Now, I've got 2 days off after Friday, so I'm thinking about making a new thread then. But then again, why would I waste my only two days off on such an administrative list like this?

Aldo on
  • CastigadorCastigador Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Oh wow, Allods Online looks pretty promising. Hoping to grab a beta key soon.

Castigador on
    edited November 2009
    I've got so much stuff to add to the list now. There was some F2P news in my gaming magazine too (Mytheon most notably) and the bloke who linked his blog a page or 3 ago also had some games I was missing.

Now, I've got 2 days off after Friday, so I'm thinking about making a new thread then. But then again, why would I waste my only two days off on such an administrative list like this?

Because you love/hate us? :)

Also, that guy was a spammer.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited November 2009

A spammer who got some games listed I didn't have.

Which is the important part. :P

Aldo on
    edited November 2009

A spammer who got some games listed I didn't have.

Which is the important part. :P

Still got the link on hand?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited November 2009
    yes

Aldo on
    edited November 2009
    Thanks. Time to download more shitty games that make me feel empty inside

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited November 2009
    :(

Did you play the Torchlight demo yet?

Aldo on
    edited November 2009
    :(

Did you play the Torchlight demo yet?

Demo? I own the game, but I'm itching for a good/acceptable MMO. Dekaron is okay, if only because it doesn't try to hide the fact that all you can do is grind, but MMOs never fail to disappoint me.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited November 2009
    Massively's giving away closed beta keys for Allods Online here:

http://www.massively.com/2009/11/05/massivelys-allods-online-closed-beta-key-giveaway/

CB starts Nov. 10th.

Edit: And Onrpg is also giving out 1000 keys:

http://www.onrpg.com/MMO/event/Allods-Closed-Beta-Key-Give-Away

Edit again: MMORPG joins the brigade:

http://www.mmorpg.com/giveaways.cfm/offer/118/Allods-Online-Closed-Beta-1-Keys.html

sidhaethe on
    edited November 2009
    I tried my hand at Zu Online, it's pretty good. Graphics are neat and things move pretty smoothly. If you have some time to burn, Zu is probably one of the better grindfests on the list.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited November 2009
    So being the masochist I am...I'm going to work on a new thread. Before I do that, I've come up with some new categories (as I'm going to claim about the whole first page of the thread).

How does this sound:

RPG
    Strategy
    In-browser management
    Racing
    Shooter
    Arcade (things like Dragonica, Valkyrie Sky, Lunia, GhostX)
    Sports
    MUD
    Other

My problem is that the RPG category is so huge. I'd like to make a division in there that is more enjoyable than the alphabet. However, I can't think of anything. I can go for 2D/3D but what does that matter when what we care about is gameplay.

Aldo on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    In browser? You really want to keep track of those? Even by free mmo standards they're pretty much all a huge waste of time.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
    edited November 2009
    It sounds like a huge undertaking, Aldo, but I have no issues with your categories - looks good!

sidhaethe on
    edited November 2009
    Page- wrote: »
    In browser? You really want to keep track of those? Even by free mmo standards they're pretty much all a huge waste of time.
    In-browser management specifically. At the moment most of those games are hidden in 'MMO-strategy'. And yes they're a cesspool and that is exactly why I want to put them in their own category. Now you can conveniently skip them all together.

Yes, it is a huge undertaking, but I need to make a new thread anyway and the current setup is bloated and the 'other' category is pretty damned useless.

Aldo on
    edited November 2009
    RIP

Elysaria
    Is this even a game?

We hardly knew you.

Aldo on
    edited November 2009
    RIP

Hello Kitty Online
    I'd write a very serious text here, but the site offers no information. Suffice to say that this is a game for manly men.

Good bye Kitty, it seems.

Aldo on
    edited November 2009
This discussion has been closed.