As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Braid | Be kind, rewind (coming to PSN on Nov. 12 in NA)

1232425262729»

• Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm still stuck, and I got the game at release.

Nimble Cat on
  • El ExtremoEl Extremo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I played this game pretty much non-stop until I got stuck in the 6th world. Then I started playing it whenever I couldn't decide which game I wanted to play. Eventually, I got all the puzzle pieces. I was so proud of myself for not breaking down and checking a strategy guide.

El Extremo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I can't wait, I'll probably download this tonight now that it's cheaper. Woo!

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Nimble Cat wrote: »
    I'm still stuck, and I got the game at release.

o_O Which puzzle? There were a few that gave me some trouble, but I tended to figure out puzzles while I was on other puzzles and just being like IDOT! TI"S THAT SIMPLE! Then running back and doing it on the first try.

Shit, I loved this game. This is one of the games I wish I could totally forget and play again.

DrunkMc on
  • SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm not ashamed to admit I had to youtube the solutions for I think two of the levels. One of them was mainly because I was putting too much faith in the idea that it wasn't a game of precise jumping (which admittedly it's not other than the one time it is).

SUPERSUGA on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    SUPERSUGA wrote: »
    I'm not ashamed to admit I had to youtube the solutions for I think two of the levels. One of them was mainly because I was putting too much faith in the idea that it wasn't a game of precise jumping (which admittedly it's not other than the one time it is).
    Which one are you talking about? I don't remember any that required precise jumping but I do remember making a lucky jump ontop of a goombas head on my first try.

Fizban140 on
    edited February 2009
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    Which one are you talking about? I don't remember any that required precise jumping but I do remember making a lucky jump ontop of a goombas head on my first try.
    One of the ones where moving forwards and backwards moves time, you have to jump down just behind this goomba that's falling down to a platform infront of you and land behind it without killing it. It doesn't require pixel-perfect jumping or anything but I failed it the first few attempts and wasted a load of time trying to figure out another way around the level.

SUPERSUGA on
  • gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    One of the ones where moving forwards and backwards moves time, you have to jump down just behind this goomba that's falling down to a platform infront of you and land behind it without killing it. It doesn't require pixel-perfect jumping or anything but I failed it the first few attempts and wasted a load of time trying to figure out another way around the level.

If that's the puzzle I'm thinking of, killing the goomba is the fastest way to do it.
    Jump on him, climb the ladder, grab the key, then travel to the left "before" you killed him.

gjaustin on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Is that the World 4 Jumpman? That was honestly one of my favorite puzzles in the game. The way it plays off of the World 2 Jumpman and then twists it with the world's logic was awesome. I sat there for almost half an hour thinking about how the world worked, made a plan and then solved the puzzle in two minutes.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    edited February 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    Is that the World 4 Jumpman? That was honestly one of my favorite puzzles in the game. The way it plays off of the World 2 Jumpman and then twists it with the world's logic was awesome. I sat there for almost half an hour thinking about how the world worked, made a plan and then solved the puzzle in two minutes.

I think you mean Hunt, not Jumpman. That was my favorite puzzle in World 4 too. It's the first one that made you really understand what was going on. Once I solved that one, the rest of World 4 fell into place.

But I'm thinking of a different puzzle - Just Out of Reach. The first part of it is quite similar to Jumpman (except it involves a lever), but after solving the first half, there's a second half with the original problem.

Interesting. I just took a look at the FAQs for Braid on GameFaqs to figure out the puzzle name.
    Half of them tell you to make sure not to kill him, and the other half tell you to just kill him and fix it later.

I actually broke down myself and went to look at a walkthrough for part of World 6. Except I took a look at Blow's walkthrough. The one that told me just to suck it up and solve the puzzles myself, and that if my solution involved trial and error, I was doing it wrong. I then went back and figured it out myself :)

gjaustin on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If Just Out of Reach is the one I'm thinking of, there's multiple solutions to it.

Speed Racer on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Why is braid not appearing on the coming soon portion of Steam?

Fencingsax on
    edited February 2009
    Yep, Out of Reach is the one I'm talking about.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Woo, I downloaded it for cheap this morning before I left for work. I know what I'm going to do later tonight. :D

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

That's the only one I had to look up. I felt really silly for not figuring it out.

rayofash on
    edited February 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Woo, I downloaded it for cheap this morning before I left for work. I know what I'm going to do later tonight. :D

Make sure to put some plastic down on your couch.

That'll make it easier to clean up the mess after the game blows your mind.

gjaustin on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    LewieP on
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I feel bad that I looked up a few of these puzzles. Hell, more than I should have. But the thing is that after I beat these time trials and delete the game for more HD space, if I go back to it quite some time from now, I should be good to play through the whole thing without needing to cheat.

I just wanted my damn achievement points. D:

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Whoops. Double post.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well, I just finished the game myself. To my eternal shame, I did have to gamefaqs a couple pieces, but eh. And I haven't even
    BEGUN the stars, but due to to the Hub star and World 2's star
    , I don't feel as bad about youtubing that one.

Anyway....I know we discussed the meaning of Braid in general for dozens of pages, but I had a few direct comments post-Epilogue.
    First, the comment in the first epilogue book. I know Blow mentioned ICO was one of his inspirations, but did anyone else think that wasn't just an inspiration; the book was explicitely about Ico and Yorda? I mean, "enemies of smoke?" Come one.

Second, and speaking of Team ICO, who is a bigger douchebag protagonist: Tim or Wander?

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
    edited June 2009
    Well, I just finished the game myself. To my eternal shame, I did have to gamefaqs a couple pieces, but eh. And I haven't even
    BEGUN the stars, but due to to the Hub star and World 2's star
    , I don't feel as bad about youtubing that one.

Anyway....I know we discussed the meaning of Braid in general for dozens of pages, but I had a few direct comments post-Epilogue.
    First, the comment in the first epilogue book. I know Blow mentioned ICO was one of his inspirations, but did anyone else think that wasn't just an inspiration; the book was explicitely about Ico and Yorda? I mean, "enemies of smoke?" Come one.

Second, and speaking of Team ICO, who is a bigger douchebag protagonist: Tim or Wander?

Neither with the normal endings

Tim:
    Before even entering World 1, he ponders how he'll be perceived by the people who live in that world. The result is that, despite his attempts to save the Princess, he's perceived as a danger to her.

Wander:
    Wander is risking his life to save a sacrificed girl. In the process he frees an ancient entity of unknown origins and morality. Remember, Dormin doesn't do anything wrong during the game. The only aggressive move he makes is attacking the Shaman, who was trying to seal him back up. That's justifiable.

However, with the secret ending of Braid:

Tim:
    Is a complete douchebag. His obsession with the princess results in her capture and imprisonment.

gjaustin on
    edited July 2009
    On sale at Impulse this weekend (live now)

$9.99

LewieP on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    LewieP wrote: »
    On sale at Impulse this weekend (live now)

$9.99

Impulse has some great sales for puzzle game fans right now.

Braid - $10
    World of Goo - $10
    Droplitz - $5
    Puzzle Quest Galaxtrix - $10

RainbowDespair on
  • peterdevorepeterdevore Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The Braid blog just updated with two job listings that shed some light on Blow's latest project. It's a 3D puzzle-exploration game.

peterdevore on
    edited July 2009
    edited July 2009
    Ooh, I might have to buy it again.

gjaustin on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ancient bump with good news—the PSN port from Hothead Games has been announced as coming to North America next week, on Nov. 12! It'll be $15, same price as the other platforms.

I'm obviously a huge fan, so I'd definitely encourage people who haven't been able to play it on XBLA, PC or Mac to definitely check it out. The story and writing are incredibly polarizing, but even taking that part aside, you'll still get a killer puzzle game that breaks your brain a few times.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Also the music is excellent and fits the game perfectly.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

edited November 2009
    Well, I guess I will make my Mum get this, hopefully she'll be able to handle the controls.

LewieP on