As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Phalla] Steampunk: Demons Win, Ship Destroyed

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Arivia wrote: »
    Micro wrote: »
    However, one of the ACMW was kind enough to admit that their secondary win condition is to outnumber the aristocracy once the game is over (I took this as meaning that either the ship was saved or destroyed). This is obviously a negative to trusting them, but I'm happy to sacrifice a secondary win condition in order to win the game outright.

I for one trust the ACMW, but do not expect others to follow my lead..

Whereas my win condition is to outnumber the ACMW, but make sure this thing keeps flying. Ignoring the chance of BURN PHALLA, we at least have a notional "village" here.

Guys, where is all this coming from? Did anyone actually read what she wrote?

In case anyone missed that, the vote for ariva makes no sense

The context and the phrasing suggest that keeping the ship afloat is her secondary win condition, whereas everyone else so far has reported it as their primary one.

Speed Racer on
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    How does the phrasing suggest that? The usage of "but" makes it sound like she has to both things. It doesn't seem like she is indicating anything as primary or secondary.

Egos on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    you know what, I'm totally fine with voting out Daius just for that.

Just for what? Because an excuse to vote Daius would be grand. Grand indeed.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Typhus733Typhus733 Yip! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So she had poor syntax in this situation, people are overthinking this. I liked that Infidel analysis, it's better than jumping down someone's throat for not saying their objective in a sentence with proper syntax.

Typhus733 on
    edited November 2009
    The Arivia vote is dumb. You guys are being silly.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • garroad_rangarroad_ran Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Saying that the arivia vote is the most reasoned option on the table when in fact it might be the least.

garroad_ran on
    edited November 2009
    Typhus733 wrote: »
    So she had poor syntax in this situation, people are overthinking this. I liked that Infidel analysis, it's better than jumping down someone's throat for not saying their objective in a sentence with proper syntax.

I'm imaging you saying this as Billy Dee Williams....its nice <3

Egos on
  • GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yea

That vote for Arivia there is a tiny bit crap

Just sayin'

Gumpy on
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The Arivia vote is dumb. You guys are being silly.

I'm a proponent of the ShadowThomas vote (duh). The Infidel vote, while it makes some sense, probably won't get enough steam behind it to actually get him killed tonight since the vote closes in 2 hours, so it's likely somewhat of a waste to vote for him tonight.

3cl1ps3 on
  • shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    To be fair, Arivia also followed up her initial statement with this:
    Arivia wrote: »
    Hmm, this is interesting. My win condition is like Micro's. Keep the ship alive first, anything else is only good for a partial win.

What does alive mean to you, however? My PM makes a distinction between "permanent damage beyond repair to one part of the ship" and "the ship can no longer fly."

I'm not saying that she isn't village-aligned, necessarily, but from what I've seen/heard, her win condition seems a little off from what most of ours are...

shalmelo on
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You know what, I'm not liking this push on Arivia. It looks more like saving shadowthomas then killing her because of how she worded her win.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • ShadowThomasShadowThomas Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You know what. This ShadowThomas vote is silly. I'm all for voting Infidel.

ShadowThomas on
    edited November 2009

Saying that the arivia vote is the most reasoned option on the table when in fact it might be the least.

Hmmm

Hmmmmmmmm

No, we'll save him for later. This isn't enough to vote for him.

I almost feel guilty voting ShadowThomas. As way of apology, I offer this

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You know what. This ShadowThomas vote is silly. I'm all for voting nfidel.

You were voting for Arivia, not yourself. DON'T put your name in green in the hopes that you'll lower your vote total.

That's actually cheating.

3cl1ps3 on
    edited November 2009
    Unnecessary bold text

3cl1ps3 on
    edited November 2009
    3clipse wrote: »

Not really 3clipse, GMs aren't that dumb :) SThomas was just using it for flavor I believe..

Egos on
    edited November 2009
    Wellllll okay, I probably should give Burnage more credit.

3cl1ps3 on
    edited November 2009
    Man now I kinda want to get rid of 3clipse again, for being a ponce.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    edited November 2009

You were voting for Arivia, not yourself. DON'T put your name in green in the hopes that you'll lower your vote total.

Actually, that's a mean-intentioned trick. Since I never voted for myself in the first place, it wouldn't be possible to remove a vote that never existed.

BUT I DON'T POST ROLE PMs VERBATIM LIKE SOME PEOPLE.

ShadowThomas on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Egos wrote: »
    How does the phrasing suggest that? The usage of "but" makes it sound like she has to both things. It doesn't seem like she is indicating anything as primary or secondary.

If the priority order is the same, then it doesn't make sense to respond to Micro with that statement. Micro's post was about how ACMWs allegedly have keeping the airship afloat as their primary objective, and she responded by saying that her objective was to outnumber the ACMW but also to keep the ship flying. Independent of the quoted post the syntax is ambiguous but the combination of the two of them implies to me that she has reverse priorities.

Although, I really did not expect a bandwagon to form on the back of my wacky little crackpot theory.

Speed Racer on
    edited November 2009

Actually, that's a mean-intentioned trick. Since I never voted for myself in the first place, it wouldn't be possible to remove a vote that never existed.

BUT I DON'T POST ROLE PMs VERBATIM LIKE SOME PEOPLE.

Look, some of us aren't smart people, you don't need to point it out.

3cl1ps3 on
    edited November 2009
    Wellllll okay, I probably should give Burnage more credit.

All GMs do a thorough count. Not just Burn. So simma down :mrgreen:

edit:

If you think something is amiss in the thread/rule breaking , I'd be glad to clarify in the future 3clipse. Or you can ask Burnage...it might help...people not want to kill you.

Egos on
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yes, people should ask me things if in doubt.

... I haven't hit my quota of "clarification denied" for the day, you see.

Burnage on
    edited November 2009
    How many times do you have to say "clarification denied" in order to meet the daily quota?

:P

shalmelo on
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    shalmelo wrote: »
    How many times do you have to say "clarification denied" in order to meet the daily quota?

Clarification denied.

Burnage on
    edited November 2009
    Happy to help, guv'nor.

shalmelo on
    edited November 2009
    Burnage wrote: »
    shalmelo wrote: »

Clarification denied.

<3

3cl1ps3 on
    edited November 2009
    Epic Reveal (TM):

I'm a detective trailing Thomas Mulhearn. My win condition is to investigate the player playing him.

He, unfortunately, has a bodyguard that would love to beat me to death if they discover who I am.

So effectively, i'm now screwed. So either tonight or tomorrow night (if you guys turn the vote away) i'll be wounded and/or dead.

I, however, am not the guy that's placing bombs everywhere. So good luck finding them.

ShadowThomas on
    edited November 2009
    If the priority order is the same, then it doesn't make sense to respond to Micro with that statement. Micro's post was about how ACMWs allegedly have keeping the airship afloat as their primary objective, and she responded by saying that her objective was to outnumber the ACMW but also to keep the ship flying. Independent of the quoted post the syntax is ambiguous but the combination of the two of them implies to me that she has reverse priorities.

You could alternatively look at that she realized her wanting to outnumber the ACMW would get a lot of focus and wanted to use "but" to enforce the fact that she wanted to keep it afloat.

In other words end on a positive/popular note. It comes down to syntax like Typhus said.

It really would have been better if she did reverse order so as to avoid this issue. But to me it kinda suggests (at the most and this if we are just basing on what was written) that she might realize what most people have as a primary condition and saw it as less important to emphasize. In other words that she is slightly in the know.

I think what shalmelo says has a bit more substance, but I suspect it has to do with role flavor.

Egos on
  • GnershGnersh Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wow, I came home to about 6 solid pages of text. And 2 Epic Reveals in one day? C'mon people.

If anyone has a vote count then it would be great and so on and so forth.

I'm gonna reserve my vote untill then.

Gnersh on
    edited November 2009
    Hopefully the Spreadsheeter will come along and tell us who's where in terms of votes.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    well.....

Dunadan019 on
    edited November 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    well.....

confused-full1.jpg

Egos on
  • LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    well.....

Your choices are poop and butt...what'll it be?

LoserForHireX on
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I say, quite a lot of shenanigans today for me to catch up with. It appears we are at a loss as to who the saboteurs are aboard this ship are, though logically speaking there must be at least one group of them hidden amongst us. I'd rather like to locate those knaves, as they almost put me in an early grave through no fault of my own.

Savant on
  • MicroMicro Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hello chappy chaps, as I'm all but dead tonight anyway for sticking my head above the parapet I thought I'd come along and share some of the fun and frolicks that have come my way since my 'I have a dream': 'let the commoners and nobility work together' post.

So, pretty much obviously I am a member of the ACMW.

I am masoned with no one, absolutely no one, and my objectives are thus:

Primary) Stop the ship from falling out of the sky
    Secondary) End the game with more ACMW than nobility

I'm interpreting this thus:

We have BAD people on the ship that are trying to take it down, stop them. Once they're stopped we'll count the players that are left and if the ACMW outnumber the nobility then we will declare them: 'BETTER AT NOT DYING'.

I was seered last night by a member of the nobility, and we agree that the best thing to do is to take care of the primary objective and then let the secondary objective rear its head once we've sorted out whoever is trying to blow the hell out of this ship.

Thus, I suppose I've just outed myself as a spokesman for a seer. Which is nice. So I'd appreciate it if I could be guarded.

Now, for added information that has come my way.

Throughout the day, people that 'agree' with what I posted earlier, about working together and finding the real enemy have got in touch with information about their roles, about things they've picked up, etc etc.

The first, and most important piece of information (in my eyes) is that we have quasi-millers in this game.

Effectively we have 'ACMW sympethisers' and 'nobility wannabees' - people who will seer as ACMW or nobility, but whose secondary win conditions are aligned with the opposite group.

This is typical for a BURNAGE PHALLA trying to spread fear and distrust. I have had three separate people contact me saying that they're ACMW but secondary win with the nobility (or vice versa) and so I have no doubt that this is in the game.

This is largely irrelevant for the primary win condition apart from this fact - if we have two 'village factions' with millers between the two of them, we almost certainly have mafia millers.

Next piece of information

I have been contacted by a player who can 'interact with the dead'.

In their own words:

I am a person who can investigate the dead. I cannot verify where I lie on the useless ability to useful ability scale without further uses, but last night I investigated B:L's corpse and discovered that his wounds were "supernatural in origin". I can't verify yet whether this is a joke about Burnage being an all-powerful host that always kills B:L in his game, or a hint at what the mafia might actually be.

I think this is utterly delightful.

Now, there's a good chance that the ability will be largely useless, but it could also be a useful quasi-seer tool to find out what sort of person performed which (ultimately fatal) ability.

Aside from this I have been contacted by a few players claiming to be various things, all of whom could be helpful if telling the truth. As and when they become relevant I will introduce their thoughts into the thread.

So, here's the summary

1) I'm a member of the ACMW who is working with a member of the nobility (who is also a seer) - if you have any targets for this seer, or any thoughts, get in touch with me
    2) Please, please, please, please, please guard me or all of this will have been in vain - the seer has the next seer target lined up (for tonight) so you may have a new spokesman if I die, but we'd prefer to keep as many people alive as possible at this point
    3) There are millers of varying types in the game - CONSTANT VIGILANCE!

Micro on
  • Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    kime wrote: »
    Arivia

I'd be aware, though, of another (indisputably awesome) facet to what happened. So, earlier we were talking about how "even if 3clipse reveals, we don't juts automatically shift the vote off him!" So he and his mafia buddies are all worrying, and then they come up with a rather important fake role: a doctor, since we don't know how many there are but expect very few. Thus, they're important. Then, they make a fake role PM. And he posts it, then gets rid of it as directed, but now we all believe him!

It's a bit annoyingly meta, but I have to like it simply because it's rather evilly cunning :lol:.

(Please note: I do not think this happened. But I was just thinking and thought it was a rather amusing idea.)

Kime.

It will be impossible to keep a forged doctor role PM for an extended length of time. With the number of woundeds and incaps that will be around, as long as he keeps calling his heals at vote close, he'll eventually screw up unless he's some kind of crazy mafia doctor.

If I had more than 20 minutes to eat dinner and get to EMT class I would figure out which bandwagon was forming when you posted it and vote for that one, but meh.

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    wait, arivia has a different win condition?

damnit now I actually have to go back and read....

after I get home I guess.

I thought that her secondary condition was to outlast ... I thought we already cleared up that everyone had a win condition of staying aloft?

I don't. I'm cool like that.
    Gnersh wrote: »
    Wow, I came home to about 6 solid pages of text. And 2 Epic Reveals in one day? C'mon people.

If anyone has a vote count then it would be great and so on and so forth.

I'm gonna reserve my vote untill then.

I should refer you to my earlier post about what to expect this game. Essentially, we should see 1-2 "epic reveals" a day until people catch on.

Micro, you should have the seer seer me! I wanna be in the network!

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    edited November 2009
    Speaking as the player who had the "investigate the dead" role in Burnage's last mini, I anticipate that said power will be anything BUT useless.

shalmelo on
  • MicroMicro Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm coming off 3clipse and onto ShadowThomas. Like others I don't want to reward stupid but NO ONE could write a role pm with that much depth, especially not someone who is also stupid enough to post a role pm. I believe 3clipse to be a doctor of some sort, and so ShadowThomas is all I have to go on until tomorrow.

Micro on