As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

GO VOTE - 1st Tues in November (not as big as last year)[Elections]

• Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    And Palin, Rush and Beck aren't involved in the NRSC in any way.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well it looks like Referendum 71 (upholding gay rights) is going to be narrowly approved in Washington. Nice to see it pass but a little scary just how many people voted against it.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Modern Man wrote: »
    Hachface wrote: »
    Modern Man we all know this. So choose: are you actually arguing against gay marriage, or are you merely insisting on repeatedly pointing out the obvious?
    I'm opposed to gay marriage because it fundamentally re-defines the institution of marriage in a radical manner for which there is simply no historical or cultural basis.

Straight marriage is utterly unchanged by gay marriage. It is not redefined, sullied, or altered in any way, shape or form. Gay marriage merely extends marriage rights to another class of people.

There was no historical basis to give women suffrage when the first country gave women the right to vote, was there? Nor was there a basis for giving non-property holders, blacks, and so on the vote. Historical and cultural basis is a shitty shitty reason to not extend rights to people. This is just a smoke screen for bigotry, because you don't consider homosexual relationships equal to heterosexual ones. It's pretty simple.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    Well it looks like Referendum 71 (upholding gay rights) is going to be narrowly approved in Washington. Nice to see it pass but a little scary just how many people voted against it.

Yeah; I no longer believe people who say they have nothing against gay couples but are concerned about the word marriage. A long series of situations like this one has made it clear that those people are usually lying.

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

So, for those of us in California...

We just lost the game, didn't we?

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Gosling wrote: »
    And Palin, Rush and Beck aren't involved in the NRSC in any way.

Right, they're caving to the Tea Partiers. It's great. That's funding Crist doesn't get, though apparently the next big target according to DeMint is to get a winger to run for Senate in California. Barbara Boxer has never heard better news.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Modern Man wrote: »
    Hachface wrote: »
    Modern Man we all know this. So choose: are you actually arguing against gay marriage, or are you merely insisting on repeatedly pointing out the obvious?
    I'm opposed to gay marriage because it fundamentally re-defines the institution of marriage in a radical manner for which there is simply no historical or cultural basis.

I hate to take a page out of Mrdobalinas book, but, Prove it.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Mahnmut wrote: »

Yeah; I no longer believe people who say they have nothing against gay couples but are concerned about the word marriage. A long series of situations like this one has made it clear that those people are usually lying.

Worst part its not fucking over for these chuckle fucks.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2010196421_elexref7104m.html

"We're praying that the vote comes through for us," he said. "If the vote doesn't come through tonight, we'll try again."

This is just round fucking 1. So two bullshit lies exposed.

1. That they will listen to the will of the people.

2. That its about the sanctity of marriage.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Dac wrote: »

Ref. 71 is for identical-to-marriage domestic partnerships, which is more or less the situation in California even after that state fucked up last November.

Mahnmut on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Dac wrote: »

Ref. 71 is for identical-to-marriage domestic partnerships, which is more or less the situation in California even after that state fucked up last November.

My mixed feelings on this cannot be adequately conveyed in text.

Dac on
  • Options
    JectJect __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009

And? Who gives a fuck?

You don't need to provide an essay about why you are making a specific vote. You just vote. And a bigot's vote is just as good as any other motherfucker's vote. Maybe a person really can be opposed to gay marriage because they ARE worried about what it would due to the definition of marriage. Or maybe they just hate gays. Doesn't fucking matter.

Most people are in fact bigots. You're a bigot, I'm a bigot, the President himself is a bigot (he does not support gay marriage).

Doesn't mean we're bad people, just means there exist opinions and beliefs that we won't tolerate in our homes.

Ject on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Great thing about Gay marriage, much like Abortion. You don't like it, DON'T HAVE ONE!

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ject wrote: »

And? Who gives a fuck?

You don't need to provide an essay about why you are making a specific vote. You just vote. And a bigot's vote is just as good as any other motherfucker's vote. Maybe a person really can be opposed to gay marriage because they ARE worried about what it would due to the definition of marriage. Or maybe they just hate gays. Doesn't fucking matter.

Most people are in fact bigots. You're a bigot, I'm a bigot, the President himself is a bigot (he does not support gay marriage).

Doesn't mean we're bad people, just means there exist opinions and beliefs that we won't tolerate in our homes.

And that's fine, you can continue to be a horrible person all on your own.

But this isn't in your own home. This is in someone elses home. This is in a loving couples home, and they want to be married, and because you think it's icky and that you are superior to everyone else you get to decide that they can't.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

And? Who gives a fuck?

bigots matter because they deny rights to other people

DEM GAYS ARE BAD is not a harmless opinion because that 'harmless opinion' usually translates into a woman not being able to visit her dying wife in the hospital and so on. Bigots vote. There's a reason we don't have a direct democracy.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Preacher wrote: »
    Great thing about Gay marriage, much like Abortion. You don't like it, DON'T HAVE ONE!

But if it's legalized, I'll be forced to marry 10 gay men and get 3 abortions despite being a man!

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    False equivalence. Everybody being a bit racist doesn't mean you need to think other races shouldn't have the same basic human rights.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

And? Who gives a fuck?

I think hating a person because of how they're born or, in some cases, how they choose to live their life, when said life doesn't hurt anybody and, in fact, makes someone else happier, is not something that should be protected by the "right to the ballot box".

Your "bigot vote is just as good as your vote" is irrelevant as fuck from anything but the strictest legal standpoint, and not really addressing the issue.

Dac on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

But if it's legalized, I'll be forced to marry 10 gay men and get 3 abortions despite being a man!

The sad part? Thats not much further than what the ads against gay marriage spout.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited November 2009

And? Who gives a fuck?

Or my home, apparently, though I'm not sure why you think you have any business there.

Look, duder -- your motives may not say much about the validity of your vote, but they say tons about the quality of your character.

I mean, really? Who gives a fuck about lying? Damn, you're cold.

Mahnmut on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Khavall wrote: »

And? Who gives a fuck?

But this isn't in your own home. This is in someone elses home. This is in a loving couples home, and they want to be married, and because you think it's icky and that you are superior to everyone else you get to decide that they can't.

So basically no one should be allowed to vote on anything that would have an outcome you don't like.

Ject on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

The sad part? Thats not much further than what the ads against gay marriage spout.

Dac on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

And? Who gives a fuck?

So basically no one should be allowed to vote on anything that would have an outcome you don't like.

Do you have a point or are you just behaving like an infant?

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

And? Who gives a fuck?

No, but that's pretty damn close to what you're saying. I'm saying that because it's an outcome you personally don't like you shouldn't be allowed to make it illegal. You're saying that because other people want to be happy in a way that doesn't negatively affect anything, they shouldn't get to, because not under your roof, right? Or any other roof apparently. Maybe you just have a huge roof.

Also I haven't said that no one should be allowed to vote against gay marriage. I've said that everyone who does is a terrible, stupid, shortsighted, arrogant bigot with a sense of superiority that is so vast that they think they know what is best for everyone else in the world.

Ultimately, it shouldn't come to a vote, because the constitution pretty well lays out that gays should be able to marry, but everyone can vote, and I haven't said anything against that. But go ahead and hate some more, that has historically made everything better.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

And? Who gives a fuck?

My point is that calling people bigots just because they oppose gay marriage is like calling someone in an argument an infant when they actually aren't.

Ject on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

My point is that calling people bigots just because they oppose gay marriage is like calling someone in an argument an infant when they actually aren't.

You oppose a minority group being granted rights because you don't like their life style and feel it affects your rights if they get more. THIS IS THE ENTIRETY OF YOUR ARGUMENT!

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited November 2009

And? Who gives a fuck?

No, but that's pretty damn close to what you're saying. I'm saying that because it's an outcome you personally don't like you shouldn't be allowed to make it illegal. You're saying that because other people want to be happy in a way that doesn't negatively affect anything, they shouldn't get to, because not under your roof, right? Or any other roof apparently. Maybe you just have a huge roof.

Also I haven't said that no one should be allowed to vote against gay marriage. I've said that everyone who does is a terrible, stupid, shortsighted, arrogant bigot with a sense of superiority that is so vast that they think they know what is best for everyone else in the world.

Ultimately, it shouldn't come to a vote, because the constitution pretty well lays out that gays should be able to marry, but everyone can vote, and I haven't said anything against that. But go ahead and hate some more, that has historically made everything better.

So you believe anything that raises society's overall happiness level by even a little bit is ultimately good and should be done, always.

Ject on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Main Entry: big·ot
    Pronunciation: \ˈbi-gət\
    Function: noun
    Etymology: French, hypocrite, bigot
    a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

So being intolerant against memebers of a group isn't bigotry because... you like to redefine words outside of, you know, their definition?

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

And? Who gives a fuck?

I have yet to see an argument opposing gay marriage that was logical or backed up by facts in any way, shape, or form.

People may not BE bigots, but that doesn't mean that they're not acting in a bigoted way when they vote against gay marriage using some of these bullshit justifications.

As an example see illdoc's distinction between "what they did" and "what they are."

Dac on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

You oppose a minority group being granted rights because you don't like their life style and feel it affects your rights if they get more. THIS IS THE ENTIRETY OF YOUR ARGUMENT!

I have opposed greater things with far less than that.

Ject on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Might want to keep that to yourself bill.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited November 2009

a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

So being intolerant against memebers of a group isn't bigotry because... you like to redefine words outside of, you know, their definition?

Not everyone opposed to gay marriage is a true bigot under that definition. Only some.

Believe it or not there really are people who are only worried about the semantics. You just can't seem to accept that. Why?

Ject on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

That's not quite a convincing argument that you're not a bigot.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Are you seriously advocating a totalitarian democracy?

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited November 2009

So you believe anything that raises society's overall happiness level by even a little bit is ultimately good and should be done, always.

Are you deliberately being obtuse, or are you actually this much of a moron?

What does "that doesn't negatively affect anything" mean in your world? I mean I know since you don't actually know what a bigot is words seem to be confusing to you, but try and actually read before you respond.

Also, something with only positive consequences and no negative ones probably should be done yes.

And I should get out of this thread. I feel too strongly about people actually having rights and other people blindly trying to deny them, and defending it by proudly talking about how horrible they are to remain civil.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

That's not quite a convincing argument that you're not a bigot.

No, I'm probably a bigot.

Doesn't really matter though. Nothing I can do about it. Beliefs are beliefs.

Ject on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Not everyone opposed to gay marriage is a true bigot under that definition. Only some.

Believe it or not there really are people who are only worried about the semantics. You just can't seem to accept that. Why?

Semantics? What the fuck is there to worry about fucking semantics?

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Gay Marriage: Dudes'll be buttfucking in your living room, like for realz. Vote no! Keep your living room poop-chute-fuckin' free.

You don't like being called a bigot, Ject? Don't act like one. You don't like gay marriage in your home? Don't let gays get married in your home. But you can fuck off with your "being a bigot doesn't make me a bad guy, I've just got a different opinion" bullshit.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2009
    Because denying people rights over semantics is perfectly rational.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Semantics? What the fuck is there to worry about fucking semantics?

A roving gang of semantics murdered my entire family once syphon!

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Are you deliberately being obtuse, or are you actually this much of a moron?

What does "that doesn't negatively affect anything" mean in your world? I mean I know since you don't actually know what a bigot is words seem to be confusing to you, but try and actually read before you respond.

Also, something with only positive consequences and no negative ones probably should be done yes.

And I should get out of this thread. I feel too strongly about people actually having rights and other people blindly trying to deny them, and defending it by proudly talking about how horrible they are to remain civil.

The problem with you son, is that some of these "bigots" are actually otherwise good people. Sometimes even great people, such as scientists, doctors, astronauts or Presidents of the United States.

But that's not enough for you. You want all these people who oppose gay marriage to be some kind of terrible monsters who would just as easily segregate blacks and whites or be Nazis or whatever. You want everyone to hate these people and prevent them from having any say.

But that's just not the way it really is.

Ject on