As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

GO VOTE - 1st Tues in November (not as big as last year)[Elections]

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ject wrote: »
    The problem with you son, is that some of these "bigots" are actually otherwise good people. Sometimes even great people, such as scientists, doctors, astronauts or Presidents of the United States.

But that's not enough for you. You want all these people who oppose gay marriage to be some kind of terrible monsters who would just as easily segregate blacks and whites or be Nazis or whatever. You want everyone to hate these people and prevent them from having any say.

But that's just not the way it really is.
    That people are made of good and bad parts do not render the good parts anything but good and the bad parts anything but bad.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    No, I can't except this. If you oppose gay marriage, if you oppose granting equal rights to a minority, then you are a bigot. There can be no compromise on this, no rationale explaining how you are in fact not a bigot when every single scrap of evidence points to you being so.

Thetheroo on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2009
    The problem with you son, is that some of these "bigots" are actually otherwise good people. Sometimes even great people, such as scientists, doctors, astronauts or Presidents of the United States.

But that's not enough for you. You want all these people who oppose gay marriage to be some kind of terrible monsters who would just as easily segregate blacks and whites or be Nazis or whatever. You want everyone to hate these people and prevent them from having any say.

You seem to be acting as if having certain issues not up to vote eliminates everything else from the vote.

This isn't a black and white thing: part of what makes the USA tick is our regard to the minority and not being an absolute democracy that puts every issue to vote.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Saying that people shouldn't be bigots is different from denying them the right to be bigots. The right to be bigots is also completely different from the right to not be disliked for being a bigot.

Couscous on
  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Also, you can obviously be bigoted against one minority but not against another. The word bigot still applies. Serious logic failure up in this thread.

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    Saying that people shouldn't be bigots is different from denying them the right to be bigots. The right to be bigots is also completely different from the right to not be disliked for being a bigot.

Yes much like having the freedom of speech does not exempt you from the freedom of everyone else calling you an idiot for advocating being a bigot.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • JectJect __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    No, I can't except this. If you oppose gay marriage, if you oppose granting equal rights to a minority, then you are a bigot. There can be no compromise on this, no rationale explaining how you are in fact not a bigot when every single scrap of evidence points to you being so.

And if you support gay marriage you must also in fact be a homosexual. There is no compromise on this, no rationale explaining how you are in fact not a homosexual of some kind when every single scrap of evidence points to you being so.

Ject on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

And if you support gay marriage you must also in fact be a homosexual. There is no compromise on this, no rationale explaining how you are in fact not a homosexual of some kind when every single scrap of evidence points to you being so.

No, that's not how it works, bigot.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    edited November 2009
    This might work if being a homosexual was anywhere as bad as being a bigot.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • McDudersteinMcDuderstein Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

"I oppose granting a certain minority group equal rights, but I'm not a bigot."
    "I don't think women have a place in the workforce, but I'm not a sexist."
    "Every time I am forced to accept a guest that is black, I serve fried chicken, but I'm not a racist."

Go, Ject!

McDuderstein on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You guys should know better than to argue with someone who got into an argument with you on the very day they registered.

Henroid on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    You guys should know better than to argue with someone who got into an argument with you on the very day they registered.

So you made an alt?

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Am I also black because I think black folks shouldn't be se-

No, fuck it. The guy is a troll or monumentally stupid.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Why can't it be both?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »

So you made an alt?

My alt was taken from me by G&T mods of yester-year.

Henroid on
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009

I am a black gay female animal.

Because I think black people should have equal rights as white people. I also like that women can vote. I also think that gay people should be able to marry. I also don't think beastiality is cool.

It's nice to finally get in touch with my real self. So far I've thought that I was a straight white human male. Boy must I have been deluded.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • JectJect __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009

I was pointing out the absurdity of the original dude's post.

Ject on
    edited November 2009

whoosh

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Dude's point wasn't at all absurd.

Please, enlighten us all and explain why you're concerns about gay marriage are not bigoted views, but rather concern for the semantics.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

It's cheaper than flying to Maine and finding some natives to yell at. :rotate:

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

:lol::lol: Yea, he was the one who was being absurd.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

gf-cripes.gif

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

big⋅ot⋅ry
      /ˈbɪgətri/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [big-uh-tree] Show IPA
    Use bigotry in a Sentence
    See web results for bigotry
    See images of bigotry
    –noun, plural -ries.
    1. stubborn and complete intolerance of any creed, belief, or opinion that differs from one's own.

science.gif

ed: You know what, I think I'm just going to quote myself after prop 8.
    big·ot (bĭg'ət) Pronunciation Key
    n. One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.

I say this without animosity, I am simply stating a fact. If you voted for Proposition 8, you are a bigot. No matter the rationale you attempted to give yourself, you voted for a Constitutional Amendment which takes a group of people, segregates them, and states "No. You are less than us. You don't deserve the rights that all other humans share, simply because you are different." You have introduced discrimination into the California State Constitution, and that is utterly deplorable no matter the reason.

You will attempt to rationalize it with supposed logical reasoning, but every reason you can come up with falls short. You will attempt to justify it to yourself on the basis of religion and beliefs, but in a secular society that is not reason to define law which is imposed upon those who do not share your religion.

I am not calling you a bigot. You made yourself one. And that is something you are going to have to live with.

Jragghen on
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Khavall wrote: »
    Khavall wrote: »
    Mahnmut wrote: »
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    Well it looks like Referendum 71 (upholding gay rights) is going to be narrowly approved in Washington. Nice to see it pass but a little scary just how many people voted against it.

Yeah; I no longer believe people who say they have nothing against gay couples but are concerned about the word marriage. A long series of situations like this one has made it clear that those people are usually lying.

And? Who gives a fuck?

You don't need to provide an essay about why you are making a specific vote. You just vote. And a bigot's vote is just as good as any other motherfucker's vote. Maybe a person really can be opposed to gay marriage because they ARE worried about what it would due to the definition of marriage. Or maybe they just hate gays. Doesn't fucking matter.

Most people are in fact bigots. You're a bigot, I'm a bigot, the President himself is a bigot (he does not support gay marriage).

Doesn't mean we're bad people, just means there exist opinions and beliefs that we won't tolerate in our homes.

And that's fine, you can continue to be a horrible person all on your own.

But this isn't in your own home. This is in someone elses home. This is in a loving couples home, and they want to be married, and because you think it's icky and that you are superior to everyone else you get to decide that they can't.

So basically no one should be allowed to vote on anything that would have an outcome you don't like.

No, but that's pretty damn close to what you're saying. I'm saying that because it's an outcome you personally don't like you shouldn't be allowed to make it illegal. You're saying that because other people want to be happy in a way that doesn't negatively affect anything, they shouldn't get to, because not under your roof, right? Or any other roof apparently. Maybe you just have a huge roof.

Also I haven't said that no one should be allowed to vote against gay marriage. I've said that everyone who does is a terrible, stupid, shortsighted, arrogant bigot with a sense of superiority that is so vast that they think they know what is best for everyone else in the world.

Ultimately, it shouldn't come to a vote, because the constitution pretty well lays out that gays should be able to marry, but everyone can vote, and I haven't said anything against that. But go ahead and hate some more, that has historically made everything better.

So you believe anything that raises society's overall happiness level by even a little bit is ultimately good and should be done, always.

I'm not sure what's wrong with this philosophy, as long as the "anything" is not a human rights violation.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Lanz wrote: »
    I'm not sure what's wrong with this philosophy, as long as the "anything" is not a human rights violation.

Should probably define "happiness", because he's probably working this to where he can say "well MORE people don't want gay marriage than do, and making it illegal would have a net "happier" result, then." Or something.

Edit: Assuming he doesn't consider "marriage" a human rights violation.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    There was no historical basis to give women suffrage when the first country gave women the right to vote, was there? Nor was there a basis for giving non-property holders, blacks, and so on the vote. Historical and cultural basis is a shitty shitty reason to not extend rights to people. This is just a smoke screen for bigotry, because you don't consider homosexual relationships equal to heterosexual ones. It's pretty simple.

From a couple hours ago, but I gotta burst a little bit of a bubble here, at least as far as the US is concerned.

Wyoming didn't give women the vote out of high-minded ideal, by and large. It was partly the result of a plot by the Democratic legislature to embarrass the Republican governor. The Dems figured that advancing women's suffrage would make them look good, but figured that it was too new and different for governor John Campbell, and when he couldn't bring himself to pass it, they could get in a few good licks on him.

Then he brought himself to pass it.

There was also a measure of support behind the argument that since the blacks and Chinese had the vote by now, they might as well give it to women, particularly white women.

Then there were the people that figured it would get people to move to Wyoming.

Then there were the people that figured that if the Democrats were the party that gave women the vote, the women would vote in droves for Democrats.

Then there were the few that actually did it because they thought it was the right thing to do. There weren't many of those.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Honk wrote: »

Because I think black people should have equal rights as white people. I also like that women can vote. I also think that gay people should be able to marry. I also don't think beastiality is cool.

It's nice to finally get in touch with my real self. So far I've thought that I was a straight white human male. Boy must I have been deluded.

Why aren't civil unions good enough? They are the same thing, they just use a different word. Marriage has always been defined as a man and a woman, now because the gays want to take it over all of a sudden we need to change the meaning of the word.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    Why aren't civil unions good enough? They are the same thing, they just use a different word. Marriage has always been defined as a man and a woman, now because the gays want to take it over all of a sudden we need to change the meaning of the word.

What an awful imposition on you!

Hachface on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Careful using the word "always" unless you plan to back it up. If you're talking "for all of American history" you're closer, except that as was pointed out it has also been between a man and several women, or a man and a prepubescent girl.

And civil unions aren't good enough because despite what you or anybody else may intend, separate but equal never stays equal. And unless we're calling all registered legal partnerships that resemble marriage "civil unions," it'll probably violate the Equal Protection clause. So, you know, rights and what not.

mcdermott on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

To quote Aaron Sorkin: "Because there's no way to get to the end of that sentence without saying that homosexual love is something different than heterosexual love"

Also, it still separates the gays into their own class.

So the next question is "Why don't we just do away with Marriage in general as a civil contract and make everyone civil unioned?" With the answer "because it's about a billion times more likely to pass gay marriage than no marriage"

Khavall on
  • NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Words change in meaning all the time. This is not a big deal. They change as the socially constructed meaning for said word changes.

Get with the times.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
    edited November 2009
    Even if we gave gays civil unions, people would still call it marriage. I don't think people foresee how hollow of a victory that is.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

My solution is just get the government out of the "marriage" business altogether. You want a marriage, go to a church or something. But that marriage doesn't mean anything until you go and get your "civil union" done at the courthouse or whatever.

This is pretty much what we do already, but we've empowered religious leaders to execute marriage licenses, and the people who just go to the courthouse get "married" because that's just what we call it.

If people want to call their civil union a marriage then I really don't care, but I think part of the problem in the U.S. is that we've conflated the religious ceremony and the legal part, so you end up with people getting all worked up about the government forcing their church to marry gays or some ridiculous shit.

I'm pretty sure other countries already do this, so it's really not that far-fetched.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »

My solution is just get the government out of the "marriage" business altogether. You want a marriage, go to a church or something. But that marriage doesn't mean anything until you go and get your "civil union" done at the courthouse or whatever.

This is pretty much what we do already, but we've empowered religious leaders to execute marriage licenses, and the people who just go to the courthouse get "married" because that's just what we call it.

If people want to call their civil union a marriage then I really don't care, but I think part of the problem in the U.S. is that we've conflated the religious ceremony and the legal part, so you end up with people getting all worked up about the government forcing their church to marry gays or some ridiculous shit.

I'm pretty sure other countries already do this, so it's really not that far-fetched.

The way I understand it, no one can force a chruch to marry anyone. I can think of at least a few churches that will only marry a straight couple if they are regular members of the congregation. So this is obviously not a reason.

I should mention I agree with you 100%. Let the churches have "marriage". The legal contract shall be a Civil Union.

Houn on
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That's one of the right-wing talking points, though. "If you let the gays marry, the government is going to force your church to acknowledge gay marriage! And then they'll come to your bake sales and try and convert your kids to gayism!!!"

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Betty Bowers disagrees with you.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFkeKKszXTw

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Bullio wrote: »
    Betty Bowers disagrees with you.

I think this deserves a slow clap.

*claps slowly with gradual increase in frequency*

Houn on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    Modern Man wrote: »
    Hachface wrote: »
    Modern Man we all know this. So choose: are you actually arguing against gay marriage, or are you merely insisting on repeatedly pointing out the obvious?
    I'm opposed to gay marriage because it fundamentally re-defines the institution of marriage in a radical manner for which there is simply no historical or cultural basis.

[url]=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_marriage#History]Historical basis of same-sex marriage.[/url]

Cultural basis of same-sex marriage.

Is there anything you're not wrong about?

Edit: I realize this is from way earlier today, and I'm reading the thread to catch up, but this was just far too stupid to pass by.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Why would we want to exclude a section of our society from a wholesome institution like marriage?

What's the benefit in that? Having all those people kept outside the beneficial institutions we have that promote stable happy lives and families?

Speaker on
  • psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Speaker wrote: »

Why would we want to exclude a section of our society from a wholesome institution like marriage?

What's the benefit in that? Having all those people kept outside the beneficial institutions we have that promote stable happy lives and families?

The real fight is if marriage should be a religious, or civil, issue.

I personally would like to give religion the sole control over marriage, and then strip any legal or civil benefits from it and give the government power in these aspects and just call it something else. Hetero/Homo all the same to government and let the jesus brigade do what they want and fume when their pastor can't do shit for them.

psychotix on