As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

food dump

2»

• beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    it reminds me of the stuff people in my classes are doing
    so i'm going to guess college.

beavotron on
  • FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I don't know if you meant to insult me, but I feel insulted.

Anyway, yeah it's for college. I'm trying to get better, so if something sucks let me know why. That's why this thread is here.

Food on
    edited October 2009
    i insulted you?
    i said it looks like the work my classmates in college do!

beavotron on
  • LexxyLexxy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Beav--pretty sure he's talking about Manovan, not you :3 Which is understandable, because how you can think that's for high school I'm not sure I understand.

Lexxy on
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, I was talking to manonvon, and I shouldn't have gotten all defensive anyway. But here's some other stuff:

IMG_1838.jpg

IMG_1840.jpg

IMG_1845.jpg

IMG_1846.jpg

IMG_1851.jpg

IMG_1852.jpg

IMG_1847.jpg

IMG_1848.jpg

IMG_1850.jpg

Trying to get better at faces.

Food on
    edited October 2009
    yeah it definitely doesn't look of a high school level
    you're doing lots of great studies, and that's wonderful, keep doing this stuff :) though the more experimental things are fun too, I love doing contour stuff, it's really relaxing.

beavotron on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I wasn't talking about the quality of his work, just the type of projects he's working on. I've spent the last couple of years studying secondary art education, and observing the high school art environment under a multitude of teachers. I've seen high schools that have had life drawing, not necessarily nude, but I have seen high school students take nude life drawing classes or sessions outside of the k-12 environment.

But the national geographic collages, the blind "only use complementary colors" thing, the "surrealist study" and all of the sporadic works shown look much more like high school art "projects" and not serious university "assignments." Again, this is more of an observation based on the assignments, not on the quality of the work being produced. So, any "judgment" being passed there, so to say, would be on the instructors not on the student.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited October 2009
    Ok, I see what you're saying. Yeah, I go to the local community college so it's hardly a serious university. On top of that there aren't a lot of options in terms of classes so this semester, for example, I'm not taking any real drawing courses at all because they won't be offering any that I haven't already completed until the spring. I do my best, though, because I feel like I can learn something from any assignment if I make the effort, and at the same time I try to keep up with my life drawing on the side. Hopefully next year I'll be able to transfer to a 4 year art school.

Food on
    edited October 2009
    that'd make sense. community colleges generally have pretty poor art programs. It's good that you're making the best you can out of it. In my experience though, students coming into a 4-year program trying to shave off a year or two through community college do so at a great disadvantage. So, if art is what you're going for I'd say move on to a serious school as soon as you can.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited October 2009
    Thanks, I'm always looking for advice about applying to art school. Since I've been here for almost 3 semesters I was wondering whether I should apply as a sophomore or a freshman. Ideally I'd be a junior as I'm 21 but to be realistic I've probably taken less studios than even a freshman at any art school. You seem to be familiar with the process, so based on my level of skill what do you think I should do?

Food on
    edited October 2009
    if you apply to a university with this level of stuff you will most likely be put into a first year program
    i was put in a first year program and i was already working professionally for 2 years.
    they may or may not let you skip a few courses based on what you show them... like color theory courses for example.
    but...yeah, prob first year. I hope that's not insulting, i don't intend for it to be.

beavotron on
    edited October 2009
    you'll find differing opinions here, I actually have had a great experience at a university known for focusing on the formal aspects of art, and I'll pass on my advice based on such.

It depends on the focus of the university. I would suggest stop taking art classes at community college, find a university with a respected art program. Take all of your bullshit science and history and english, etc. classes at community college. Transfer all of your "core" classes, and start the art program at uni from scratch, year one.

It's not going to reduce the number of years spent there (although it may guarantee only 4, not more), but it will most definitely make your studies easier because you aren't fretting about writing papers on microbiology and shit when you need to finish 30-100 paintings for midterm.

e: if it wasn't clear, I was suggesting retaking each art class at the 4-year school even if they offer to let something transfer.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited October 2009
    Ok, thanks for the advice both of you. I've probably taken more than enough core classes already so that's out of the way. I suppose being a freshman again wouldn't be too terrible. I was already kind of leaning towards it as the foundation classes at all the schools I've looked at seem so much more intense than the ones I've taken.

Food on
    edited October 2009
    I made a few more self portraits today but this is the only one that came out halfway decent:

IMG_1900.jpg

I really need to learn how to set up faces better. Is there a website that'll let me know about facial proportions, like how the eyes relate to each other, the relative length of the nose etc.?

Food on
    edited October 2009
    Here's the sculpture I was talking about earlier:

IMG_1978.jpg

If you go around the other side you'll notice there's a hole through the head that you're supposed to look through:

IMG_1979.jpg

Food on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited October 2009
    Food wrote: »
    I made a few more self portraits today but this is the only one that came out halfway decent:

I really need to learn how to set up faces better. Is there a website that'll let me know about facial proportions, like how the eyes relate to each other, the relative length of the nose etc.?

http://www.meadowpaint.com/head1.pdf
    http://deadoftheday.blogspot.com/search/label/artist%27s%20studio

Since you're looking for school advice, I might ask as to what your goals are in art. Modern fine art? Classical fine art? Illustration? Concept design? I'm seeing a lot of school work here, which may or may not be in line with the sort of stuff you want to be doing at the end of the day.

I know it's quickly becoming a cliche to bring up ateliers whenever art schools are mentioned, but if you're looking to bump up your traditional skills more than anything, and aren't so much about the wild and crazy modern art stuff or formal art theory, they'd be worth taking a look at. As far as I can tell, most of them are open enrollment and just allow ala carte class sign-ups, so you could try one over a summer break and then go back to college if it's not what you're looking for.

http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/atelier_list.asp

Given my own university education, I'm skeptical of a lot of university programs personally, barring a few (usually very expensive) exceptions; I'd guess if you picked a university by throwing darts at a map, the actual art component of their art program is likely to be little better than what you're doing now- you really need to be picky if you want to be sure you're going to get your money's worth. But admittedly, my goals may be different from yours, and anecdotal evidence blah blah blah, so your mileage may vary.

Full disclosure, Cakemikz, Loomdun and myself all go to Watts Atelier, and those .pdfs up there come from a Watts teacher. So, you know...we're admittedly biased, especially since all of us have gone to real college-colleges before and didn't think much of how they taught things.

Also we're trying to lure basically everyone from the forum over here. :P

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited October 2009
    Thanks for the links, I'm putting them to use right now.

And thanks for the school info too. I hadn't even considered an atelier until now, however the teacher of the classes I took over the summer came from one of the them, and although the work could get a little bit mind numbing my technical skills improved a huge amount and that was from just 5 hours of studio a week for a month. That said, I'm more interested in modern art and illustration but I do have a lot of respect for the atelier system and I'll probably look into it.

Food on
    edited October 2009
    IMG_1983.jpg

I just got back this one piece from an earlier project.

Food on
    edited October 2009
    what was the goal in that assignment?

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited November 2009
    We had to make a print of our signatures and then make some sort of painting using the print. The other pictures from that project are on the last page.

Food on
    edited November 2009
    Here are some sketches I did over the week. Still trying to draw faces, not sure I'm getting any better.
    IMG_2065.jpg
    IMG_2067.jpg
    IMG_2068.jpg
    IMG_2069.jpg
    IMG_2071.jpg
    IMG_2072.jpg
    IMG_2073.jpg
    IMG_2075.jpg
    IMG_2076.jpg
    IMG_2078.jpg
    IMG_2081.jpg
    IMG_2085.jpg
    IMG_2086.jpg
    IMG_2087.jpg
    IMG_2088.jpg
    IMG_2089.jpg
    IMG_2094.jpg

Food on
    edited November 2009
    They finally had another figure drawing session at my school. A couple of my drawings that didn't completely suck:

IMG_2199.jpg

IMG_2200.jpg

Food on
    edited November 2009
    So I guess we can post music here? I don't have any exciting art to post recently so here are some songs I made:

perestroika.mp3

gelatinous innards.mp3

_o0O0o..mp3

The drums on the second and third one are garage band loops but I kind of cut them up and stuck them together to change them up a little. I was just sick of midi drums.

Food on
    edited November 2009
    another self p

IMG_2444.jpg

Food on
    edited November 2009
    Oh yeah, I'm also taking pictures. Are these good enough to stick in my portfolio? Is it bad to have all drawings and then a few photographs?

IMG_1938.jpg

IMG_1944.jpg

IMG_1942.jpg

Food on
    edited January 2010
    Here are a few random things from the past month or so:

IMG_2701.jpg
    IMG_2700.jpg
    IMG_2699.jpg
    IMG_2698.jpg
    IMG_2697.jpg

Food on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Nice looking figure studies fo sho. I really like that ink thing with the buildings and the faces. Its awesome.

earthwormadam on
    edited January 2010
    thanks, I wasn't sure about that one. maybe I'll something else like that and put a little more thought into it.

Food on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This isn't going to be too helpful, but i love when artists include little scribbles on the sides of their work and "I was a weird kid and wanted to be weird again" is a pretty awesome quote.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
    edited January 2010
    heh, thanks

Here are some gesture drawings that I thought came out pretty well from last night and then some other semi-recent drawings that I dug up in my room:

IMG_2704.jpg
    IMG_2706.jpg
    IMG_2705.jpg
    IMG_2707.jpg
    IMG_2708.jpg
    IMG_2621.jpg
    IMG_2709.jpg
    IMG_2710.jpg
    IMG_2713.jpg

Food on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    More cool stuff. Was that profile of the skull in the upper left hand corner of the last one intentional? Cause everytime I look in the sky over the building I see it and it scares me.

earthwormadam on
    edited February 2010
    That skull was not intentional but I wish it was.

here's stuff from the figure drawing class I'm taking:

IMG_2776.jpg

IMG_2767.jpg

IMG_2769.jpg

IMG_2770.jpg

IMG_2775.jpg

Food on
    edited March 2010
    whoops, first time that's happened to me. Funny how they missed the last one somehow. What's an image hosting site that's not dumb?

Food on
  • lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm pretty sure if you use imageshack.us they won't take it down. That's what I've used for nude drawings in the past.

lyrium on
    edited May 2010
    hey it's been a while but I've started painting. here are some paintings. I'm pretty bad at painting from life but I'm working on it. also I got into an art school so that should be fun!

IMG_2900.jpg

IMG_2899.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Food on
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    1st Painting: Not really sure what to make of this one. Is it rocks with plants growing on it? Or completely abstract? The circles in the upper left seem to the focal point and I'm guessing they shouldn't be.

2nd Painting: Burning buildings? Red, white and blue? Stars? Something about America? Stronger than the first painting.

3rd Painting: haha. Yoda in bed with a shoe. I think the subject is more interesting than the execution. I could be wrong, but it looks like part of the canvas might be poking through? Not a fan of that. I would either put down an entire layer of neutral gray, or put down a different color as part of an underpainting and selectively let parts of that background color show through.

4th Painting: My favorite of the group. Colors have a nice mood. My eye moves throughout the painting. Really nice.

Some interesting techniques, keep on pushing that. At the same time, drawing what you see and not what you think will help you render more accurately (Yoda) and then you can concentrate on stylizing objects (4th painting). Keep it up!

NibCrom on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I like the first and the fourth paintings. I really like the fourth one, if it were a little tidier I would happily hang it on my wall.

The other two feel incomplete and rushed and Yoda looks like a cross between fozzi bear and kermit.

Mustang on
    edited May 2010
    haha thanks guys. yeah, yoda is pretty bad, I know. like I said, I'm bad at painting from life but I'll work on that over the summer. the 4th one is the most recent so it's good to know you both like it the best. thanks for the advice, I'll post more soon.

Food on