As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Song of Ice and Fire: HBO TV Series!

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Supposedly the manuscript for Feast of Crow has been sent to the publisher. all that remains is editing, typesetting, printing and shiiping the book. I'd give it a couple more months at least. On the birghter side at least we know he's already got a headstart on the next one since they split this one up.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2005
    Supposedly the manuscript for Feast of Crow has been sent to the publisher. all that remains is editing, typesetting, printing and shiiping the book. I'd give it a couple more months at least. On the birghter side at least we know he's already got a headstart on the next one since they split this one up.
    Unless he inflates it horribly and it too has to get split.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2005

Release date on Amazon is November 8 (I know how inaccurate they've been with this book, but with the manuscript done...).

THE DAY BEFORE MY BIRTHDAY.

w0000000000000000t!

Shadowen on
  • Options
    PrincepsPrinceps Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Fucking Britain gets it in like the middle of October....with a cooler cover. Screw the Revolutionary War I'll pay taxes without representation just give us your book release schedule

Princeps on
    It goes like this
    The fourth, the fifth
    The minor fall, the major lift
    The baffled king composing Hallelujah
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2005
    The discussion on Martin's books got me to finally register.

I kicked this one around with my wife :

[spoiler:27d8994a63]
    Near the end of Storm of Swords, there's a piece of conversation overheard by Jon at Castle Black. It involved about a rumour that Stannis had burned a man alive at Storms' End so Melisandre could control the winds and get his fleet there ASAP.

Anyone think it's true, and if so, might it have been Davos?

He had just committed treason by removing Edric Storm from his king's keep.

And given Stannis' track record of punishing even those who do him great service (fingers and onions), I could see him executing Davos even though the Onion Knight had called the king's attention to where it needed to be.
    [/spoiler:27d8994a63]

Great discussion. I'm enjoying it immensely.

Come on, November 8th!

trm

Unknown User on
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    No, [spoiler:36ecfa6050]Martin's website mentions an upcoming Davos chapter.[/spoiler:36ecfa6050]

VishNub on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    There was one thing I was wondering about Stannis [spoiler:0d7a926e51] There was, IIRC, a part where Davos walks in on Stannis having sex with the priestess chick. Stannis looked drained or something and said it was what he had to do. I think that in order to create the spectre things she sends to kill people Melasandre is draining Stannis life force. Maybe I'm remembering this wrong I haven't read the books in ages [/spoiler:0d7a926e51]

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    PrincepsPrinceps Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    There was one thing I was wondering about Stannis [spoiler:304e41d0a9] There was, IIRC, a part where Davos walks in on Stannis having sex with the priestess chick. Stannis looked drained or something and said it was what he had to do. I think that in order to create the spectre things she sends to kill people Melasandre is draining Stannis life force. Maybe I'm remembering this wrong I haven't read the books in ages [/spoiler:304e41d0a9]

My friend mumbled something about that and I thought he was insane. But if you noticed it to I must be the unobservant one, and plus that whole situation makes a good amount of sense.

Princeps on
    It goes like this
    The fourth, the fifth
    The minor fall, the major lift
    The baffled king composing Hallelujah
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    There was one thing I was wondering about Stannis [spoiler:f84c2e42bc] There was, IIRC, a part where Davos walks in on Stannis having sex with the priestess chick. Stannis looked drained or something and said it was what he had to do. I think that in order to create the spectre things she sends to kill people Melasandre is draining Stannis life force. Maybe I'm remembering this wrong I haven't read the books in ages [/spoiler:f84c2e42bc]

I thought that was coming through loud and clear.

[spoiler:f84c2e42bc]Especially when the shadow creature killed the youngest Barentheaon(sp). I think that was actually described as a shadow of Stannis, was it not? [/spoiler:f84c2e42bc]

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    AriochArioch Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Dammit, I'm new here and I can't figure out how the devil to switch on spoiler tags, which is rather irksome in this thread.

Yes, yes, mock me if you like. Enlighten me, O more clever ones!

Arioch on
  • Options
    DagrabbitDagrabbit Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Sorry if I missed it, but most of this thread is spoiler-tagged, but what makes this series so great? I ask this as someone who used to read some fantasy (Eddings and Jordan mostly), but stopped for a couple of reasons:

1) The writing in the genre is, in general, pretty bad. Neat ideas, bad execution.

2) I don't really like seven to twelve book series that are totally going to wrapped up by 2024. Honestly. If you can't say it in a trilogy, it doesn't need to be said.

You might guess that Robert Jordan is the author that broke me from these two points, and you'd be right. However, I like fantasy settings in general and if these are very good fantasy novels, I'd like to give them a try.

I'm willing to assume that number one isn't an issue for this series, but what about number two? How long is this series supposed to be? Does it move along at a good clip without five hundred pages of padding each book (like Jordan)?

Dagrabbit on
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Dagrabbit wrote:
    I'm willing to assume that number one isn't an issue for this series, but what about number two? How long is this series supposed to be? Does it move along at a good clip without five hundred pages of padding each book (like Jordan)?

I gave up on Jordan on book 6 or 7. I really can't remember. But basically there was a book that once i read it seemed like really nothing overall had happened in the entire book and lost any desire to read the rest.

I haven't had that happen with Martin yet. But granted thats only after 3 out of so far 7 books. I would say the potential is there for it to go the way of Jordan. But I tend to think it wont. That said. It may very well be 2024 before this thing is done.

And also, even though I gave up on finishing out the Wheel of Time. I did still enjoy first 5 books quite a bit so I don't take it as a waste of time. Just disappointing.

For ASOI&F
    Writing quality is high. The main high points for most people is the somewhat initial realism grounded nature of the stories. There are magical elements that increase more and more through the series, but to the characters in the stories it's more of a Holy Crap! not, oh thats just Fizzlegrub playing with magic again. Alot of political elements.

Very wide scope. Gritty violence, which for some will be a negative as it can be taken as gratuitous. All depends on how you want to look at it. Same with sexuality in the book. No clear cut good vs evil. Most everyone is in shades of grey. You may end up liking those you reviled and watch your good guys do some bad and or stupid shit. Highly character driven with revolving points of view. And at least for me, very very unpredictable.

Edit: felt i should add that not only have I felt enough happened in each volume, but that the volumes only became more and more active plot wise. Storm of Swords blew my mind on several occassions and moved at a really good pace.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Martin's books are very very different from Jordan. This series is more of a realist setting. He draws much more on the real Dark Ages than most fantasty writers do. Magic and supernatural creatures exist but are very rare and fantastic. His characters are very human. each chapter is from a different character's perspective so you get multiple viewpoints all the time. There's a couple that you peg as unimportant or jsut plain evil and then he shows things from thier perspective and changes everything.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Not to mention Martin is a homicidal maniac when it comes to his characters.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited August 2005

That's part of what makes it exciting and more realistic. When you live by the sword, you die by the sword.

Also, I think the political intrigue is quite interesting.

There are so many layers to the characters and plots that I'm always interested. That's the trump for me.

Also, Jordan is just a terrible story teller. He could put jibberish for 50 pages and it would amount to the same in most of his later books. There is no plot progression at all.

Derrick on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2005
    Yeah, I've been caught by surprise a few times. I like authors that treat their characters with an iron fist. Keeps me on my toes.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Arioch wrote:
    Dammit, I'm new here and I can't figure out how the devil to switch on spoiler tags, which is rather irksome in this thread.

Yes, yes, mock me if you like. Enlighten me, O more clever ones!

You can use spoiler and /spoiler enclosed in the usual square brackets for spoiler tags.

Operative21 on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Dagrabbit wrote:
    You might guess that Robert Jordan is the author that broke me from these two points, and you'd be right. However, I like fantasy settings in general and if these are very good fantasy novels, I'd like to give them a try.

I suspect I come from a reading background similar to your own. My own introduction to fantasy started with Eddings and Robert Asprin when I was six. Much like you, I also started reading Jordan and after book five became pretty much utterly disillusioned with most fantasy works. Not that there isn't good fantasy out there, but alot of it tends to become pretty formulaic stuff after while.

That being said, I'd highly recommend Martin to someone like yourself. His character dialogues are descriptive but unlike Jordan, the dialogues don't degenerate into what is essentially banter or filler that serves little purpose other than padding the pages of the book. One of the biggest selling points with Martin however, is the way he develops and differentiates his characters. For example.....ever notice how Jordan's female characters share essentially the same grumpy and seemingly (if you'll pardon the expression) "bitchy" personality? I often find I can't read a Wheel Time novel without eventually developing the urge to gag when it comes to his female characters. The same cannot be said of Martin's characters, who although they are highly varied in terms of personality, share an ability to inspire sympathy in a reader. He also does a fantastic job of blurring the lines between antagonist and protagonist - creating alot of grey areas in terms of his characters' morality. In many ways, it serves to deepen a reader's interest in the characters, since they cannot be easily judged or classified according to existing fantasy stereotypes.

Operative21 on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Derrick wrote:

That's part of what makes it exciting and more realistic. When you live by the sword, you die by the sword.

Also, I think the political intrigue is quite interesting.

There are so many layers to the characters and plots that I'm always interested. That's the trump for me.

Also, Jordan is just a terrible story teller. He could put jibberish for 50 pages and it would amount to the same in most of his later books. There is no plot progression at all.

In the game of thrones iether you win or you die? ;)

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    MishraMishra Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Derrick wrote:
    There was one thing I was wondering about Stannis [spoiler:81714b0d12] There was, IIRC, a part where Davos walks in on Stannis having sex with the priestess chick. Stannis looked drained or something and said it was what he had to do. I think that in order to create the spectre things she sends to kill people Melasandre is draining Stannis life force. Maybe I'm remembering this wrong I haven't read the books in ages [/spoiler:81714b0d12]

I thought that was coming through loud and clear.

[spoiler:81714b0d12]Especially when the shadow creature killed the youngest Barentheaon(sp). I think that was actually described as a shadow of Stannis, was it not? [/spoiler:81714b0d12]

I thought this was standard fair in general for the magic of the light god.
    [spoiler:81714b0d12]Remeber the one knight who keeps being brought back to life saying he feels more and more hollow[/spoiler:81714b0d12]

I'm glad some other folks share my suspicion about jon with regards to his ancestery, I suspected as much as soon as Lyanna whispered promise me to Ned.

My theory is that Daenerys and John and Arya will reunite the seven kingdoms. This would complete a "cycle" if you will where the New kingdom will be founded in the same way as the old kindom, by a Tarygren and his two sisters on the backs of three dragons.

Mishra on
    "Give a man a fire, he's warm for the night. Set a man on fire he's warm for the rest of his life."
    -Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    KaLogainKaLogain Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Well if the theory were true she would be jon's aunt.

KaLogain on
    I drank what? - Socrates

I wore a Kashmir sweater to class yesterday. The Indian girls and Pakistani girls started fighting over me.
  • Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    I am reading A Game of Thrones still and I am at the part where Catelyn meets up with... [spoiler:8b0f4ec476]Lysa at they Eyrie. And Lysa is introducing her son, and saying how John told her to say... "The seed is strong". It dawned on me... Is John referring to Robert's bastard son?[/spoiler:8b0f4ec476]

Mgcw on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Magicawe wrote:
    I am reading A Game of Thrones still and I am at the part where Catelyn meets up with... [spoiler:1f993e39ba]Lysa at they Eyrie. And Lysa is introducing her son, and saying how John told her to say... "The seed is strong". It dawned on me... Is John referring to Robert's bastard son?[/spoiler:1f993e39ba]

[spoiler:1f993e39ba] ding ding what do we have for him johnny!!???[/spoiler:1f993e39ba]

KaLogain on
    I drank what? - Socrates

I wore a Kashmir sweater to class yesterday. The Indian girls and Pakistani girls started fighting over me.
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    KaLogain wrote:
    Well if the theory were true she would be jon's aunt.

True it wouldn't be perfect, but I don't think there's ever been a hard prophecy about the resolution(something I like), It just seems like a likely path for things to go in my opinion.

Mishra on
    "Give a man a fire, he's warm for the night. Set a man on fire he's warm for the rest of his life."
    -Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Mishra wrote:
    My theory is that Daenerys and John and Arya will reunite the seven kingdoms. This would complete a "cycle" if you will where the New kingdom will be founded in the same way as the old kindom, by a Tarygren and his two sisters on the backs of three dragons.

...another theory being kicked around the web is that Tyrion is a child of the Targaryens.

[spoiler:d44df86dba]There was that one throwaway comment fromt he Giant of Lannister, in response to someone commenting that he was Tywin's son...something like, "Really? Do tell my father sometime. I gather he's never been quite certain." So perhaps Tywin was always so distant with Tyrion because he wasn't certain Tyrion was his son.[/spoiler:d44df86dba]

But other than that, the theory is the same. Daenerys, the full-blooded Targaryen, and the Stark- and Lannister-birthed Targaryens, as the three heads of the dragon.

[spoiler:d44df86dba]Remember, with Jaime's reformation, and Tyrion's often-quite-moral machinations, we're seeing that the Lannisters, while those of them in direct power are often cold and cruel, are not all bastards. What better way to end a story than with the reconciliation of ancient enemies like Star and Lannister?[/spoiler:d44df86dba]

(Damn, the Targaryens get around, eh? Must be the silver hair and violet eyes. Looks exotic.)

Shadowen on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Oh I never meant to take away from the theory, just a little fact I guess or whatever. It's still a good plan, it's a "family."

KaLogain on
    I drank what? - Socrates

• Options
    edited August 2005
    KaLogain wrote:
    Oh I never meant to take away from the theory, just a little fact I guess or whatever. It's still a good plan, it's a "family."

Ah. I thought you might not have heard that one, is all.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Shadowen wrote:
    Mishra wrote:

...another theory being kicked around the web is that Tyrion is a child of the Targaryens.

[spoiler:7ea4559a58]There was that one throwaway comment fromt he Giant of Lannister, in response to someone commenting that he was Tywin's son...something like, "Really? Do tell my father sometime. I gather he's never been quite certain." So perhaps Tywin was always so distant with Tyrion because he wasn't certain Tyrion was his son.[/spoiler:7ea4559a58]

But other than that, the theory is the same. Daenerys, the full-blooded Targaryen, and the Stark- and Lannister-birthed Targaryens, as the three heads of the dragon.

[spoiler:7ea4559a58]Remember, with Jaime's reformation, and Tyrion's often-quite-moral machinations, we're seeing that the Lannisters, while those of them in direct power are often cold and cruel, are not all bastards. What better way to end a story than with the reconciliation of ancient enemies like Star and Lannister?[/spoiler:7ea4559a58]

(Damn, the Targaryens get around, eh? Must be the silver hair and violet eyes. Looks exotic.)

I don't buy this simply because its made quite clear Lord Tywin hates Tyrion and would disown him at the drop of a hat, even on flimsy evidence. He never would have sufferd him as a son.

Mishra on
    -Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Interesting though that we don't know much about Mrs. Tywin Lannister. Was she ever mentioned?

Arioch on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Also, I can't help but think that it would be just like GRRM to pit Starks against Targaryens towards the end: have both sides we like best and sympathize best with at odds.

To be fair, though, who the hell has any idea what's going on in that crazy man's head?

Arioch on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Arioch wrote:
    Interesting though that we don't know much about Mrs. Tywin Lannister. Was she ever mentioned?

So far as I can remember off the top of my head, I believe the only person who's particularly referred to Mrs. Tywin Lannister would be Ser Kevan. All we know from his statement was that Tywin was apparently extremely fond of his wife. This may or may not be part of his resentment towards Tyrion since she died giving birth to Tyrion. I gather, that it was added insult to injury that Tyrion turned out to be a physically disfigured dwarf when he was born.
    Arioch wrote:
    Also, I can't help but think that it would be just like GRRM to pit Starks against Targaryens towards the end: have both sides we like best and sympathize best with at odds.

Its always possible, but at the same time I would think it unlikely. It really doesn't seem as though any of the living Starks hold any aspirations towards seeking rule of the Seven Kingdoms. Not to mention, none of them are in a particularly good position to make a bid for the crown. Then again, its still fairly early in the game so to speak.

Operative21 on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    I think the Starks want thier own Kingdom again much more. of course they have to deal with the real assholes in thie midst [spoiler:1b66e56370] The Greyjoys and the Boltons [/spoiler:1b66e56370]

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    KaLogain wrote:
    Magicawe wrote:
    I am reading A Game of Thrones still and I am at the part where Catelyn meets up with... [spoiler:e2fbad0f35]Lysa at they Eyrie. And Lysa is introducing her son, and saying how John told her to say... "The seed is strong". It dawned on me... Is John referring to Robert's bastard son?[/spoiler:e2fbad0f35]

[spoiler:e2fbad0f35] ding ding what do we have for him johnny!!???[/spoiler:e2fbad0f35]

[spoiler:e2fbad0f35]I'm pretty sure that's referring to Robert's blood- his dark genetic features that are in every child he has. Thus, you can look at his "son" by Cersei and know it isn't Robert's. [/spoiler:e2fbad0f35]

Derrick on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    I dunno, man. I think Sansa's gonna want what's coming to her and is gonna be ruthless.

I mean, GRRM has already taken characters we hate (Jaime, for example--and Cersei probably in the next book) and made them sympathetic. Wouldn't it be just like him to take a character we've spent three books feeling sorry for and make her someone we end up hating?

Arioch on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Arioch wrote:
    I dunno, man. I think Sansa's gonna want what's coming to her and is gonna be ruthless.

I mean, GRRM has already taken characters we hate (Jaime, for example--and Cersei probably in the next book) and made them sympathetic. Wouldn't it be just like him to take a character we've spent three books feeling sorry for and make her someone we end up hating?

You know, that's actually an excellent point. For all that she's been through, in some ways, Sansa's had chances to learn from (or at the very least, exposure to) arguably the most ruthless people in all the Seven Kingdoms. Take that into account, with the fact that she's now in the hands of Littlefinger, and that's definitely a recipe for a deceiver in training.

Operative21 on
  • Options
    siliconenhancedsiliconenhanced __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2005
    Hmm....Sansa guided by Littlefinger, and protected by the Hound?

siliconenhanced on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Hmm....Sansa guided by Littlefinger, and protected by the Hound?

I wonder...

If Sansa grew to loathe Littlefinger, and became as ruthless as he was, would she kill him? I don't think he'd see that coming.

As for the Hound, I always thought the two of them had a Beauty and the Beast thing going on, and what with Martin having worked on a show based on the story in the past, I wouldn't put it past him for them to end up together.

Heh. He might even, to some degree, like her more cunning side.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Arioch wrote:

So far as I can remember off the top of my head, I believe the only person who's particularly referred to Mrs. Tywin Lannister would be Ser Kevan. All we know from his statement was that Tywin was apparently extremely fond of his wife. This may or may not be part of his resentment towards Tyrion since she died giving birth to Tyrion. I gather, that it was added insult to injury that Tyrion turned out to be a physically disfigured dwarf when he was born.
    Arioch wrote:

Its always possible, but at the same time I would think it unlikely. It really doesn't seem as though any of the living Starks hold any aspirations towards seeking rule of the Seven Kingdoms. Not to mention, none of them are in a particularly good position to make a bid for the crown. Then again, its still fairly early in the game so to speak.

[spoiler:a5ad03de25]Yeah, Tyrions mother died giving birth to him. They don't really dwell on it too much, but we obviously see its the reason why Tywin is so bitter to Tyrion.

I don't think a Stark will end up with the throne. It would be too cliche` and plus the person on the throne would still be a Usurper King. The Starks really have no real claim to the throne except that Ned was supposed to be acting King until Joff came of age.

Also, about Catelyn, she is just really screwed up right?
    I remember someone saying she was a zombie/wight? [/spoiler:a5ad03de25]
    :?

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Dublo7 wrote:
    Arioch wrote:

Arioch wrote:

[spoiler:a90b9bd15d]Yeah, Tyrions mother died giving birth to him. They don't really dwell on it too much, but we obviously see its the reason why Tywin is so bitter to Tyrion.

I don't think a Stark will end up with the throne. It would be too cliche` and plus the person on the throne would still be a Usurper King. The Starks really have no real claim to the throne except that Ned was supposed to be acting King until Joff came of age.

Also, about Catelyn, she is just really screwed up right?
    I remember someone saying she was a zombie/wight? [/spoiler:a90b9bd15d]
    :?

[spoiler:a90b9bd15d] She's probably going to be like the knight they keep bringing bac from the dead. Alive yes but everytime they do it he loses some of himself. Also they mention she can't talk anymore because her throat was slit [/spoiler:a90b9bd15d]

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited August 2005
    I'd like to see

[spoiler:0c8b048538]Either Arya or Sansa being Queen in the North, whilst Daenarys holds the Iron Throne[/spoiler:0c8b048538]

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
This discussion has been closed.