As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Step 5: Remove [DOODLES] from microwave, mix in content of flavor packet. [NSFW]

• beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    legg: I find that sort of thing so unclassy, the "hey i'm the [insert classy item] of [insert profession]" it really screams unprofessional to me
    If I were you, I'd try a few other approaches for designing your identity.

beavotron on
  • FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Not to mention that kind of hubris is bound to leave a negative first impression. Your work itself should show that you are the Grange of design, not the slogan.

Now if somebody of importance were actually quoted as dubbing you the Grange of design, that would be a different story

Fugitive on
  • PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Fugitive wrote: »
    Not to mention that kind of hubris is bound to leave a negative first impression. Your work itself should show that you are the Grange of design, not the slogan.

Now if somebody of importance were actually quoted as dubbing you the Grange of design, that would be a different story

His mom could say it. But dont say it was a quote from your mom. Just put quotations around it.

PROX on
  • Guy BellGuy Bell Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Legs is the Grange of Design. You may quote me on that. (But i'm not a big fan of Shiraz)

Guy Bell on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

I honestly think that even somebody who is super-advanced, at a high professional level...shouldn't say something like that.

It doesn't come off well in any case, I feel.

[edit] unless somebody else calls you that, right.

NightDragon on
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    oh beavo, you're the maple syrup of crits

desperaterobots on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    i'm the undercooked calzone of pictures

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited November 2009
    I'm the old Wonderbread crust of concept art that's molding under the fridge.

NightDragon on
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    im the dog turd that you stepped on on your way to the house and forgot about and it smells pretty bad of drawing

Projeck on
    edited November 2009
    I'm the 5 dollar footlong of painting.

PROX on
    edited November 2009
    I'm the Fug of making out of drawing

Fugitive on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2009
    PROX wrote: »
    Warm up doodles:
    I accidently drew iruka.
    meeeee

Wait, are they both me? Is that a rifle-scythe? Either way awwwwessssoooommeee

Iruka on
  • ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm the shrunken left out cucumber of drawing

also, this
    2i6hvlt.jpg

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
    edited November 2009
    Iruka wrote: »
    PROX wrote: »
    Warm up doodles:
    I accidently drew iruka.
    meeeee

Wait, are they both me? Is that a rifle-scythe? Either way awwwwessssoooommeee

Nah just the dragon one. The scythe was an extra doodle that I liked. Glad you like it!

PROX on
  • SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Thane wrote: »

also, this
    2i6hvlt.jpg

I always thought it referred to the black keys of a piano keyboard? but I don't listen to them, so I don't know...

You are talking about the band, right?

Sublimus on
  • LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Thanks for the comments guys. The orange splotches didnt work out as i wanted but I guess i chose to leave them in. I like the type layout that you suggested to. Allot cleaner.

Also- I think the word 'grange' is fine because its seen as 'best' in a few industries eg cars etc. It just means top of the line. The whole concept was just to give it ago, Design isnt my strong point and I've always wanted to learn more layout skills. I dont really have a problem with the quote. Its just something I threw in there to see what it looked like after I did the graphics *shrugs* its only a 20 minute doodle thingy

Anyone have any good texts on typography?

Leggraphics on
    edited November 2009
    These guys are doing some pretty amazing things.

http://www.houseind.com/

Guy Bell on
  • Skelly BSkelly B Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Sublimus wrote: »
    I always thought it referred to the black keys of a piano keyboard? but I don't listen to them, so I don't know...

these were my exact thoughts

Skelly B on
  • LexxyLexxy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I drew a thing! A friend of mine and I were going to go on a zombie bar crawl this weekend, but he's not good at zombie makeup, so I said I'd paint on some bite marks once he got there. He thought it would be kind of cute if I gave him the bite marks, and I told him I would only bite him a little bit. Then we got to thinking about how cute Zombie Lexxy nibbles would be, so I drew it.

zombienibbles.png

Plans have changed and we're doing something else now, but the drawing is still yay!

edit:
    Also- I think the word 'grange' is fine because its seen as 'best' in a few industries eg cars etc. It just means top of the line ... Design isnt my strong point ...

This is exactly why the rest of us are discouraging you from using it. Why would you imply that you're the best or top of the line at something when you yourself recognize it isn't your strength? It's egotistical. It makes people who aren't that good at what they're professing to be good at look delusional, and it makes people who ARE good at it look like pompus asshats.

Not saying that I think you're full of yourself, just saying that's what using that kind of language implies.

Lexxy on
  • J-PJ-P Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    w00tz, finished.

biosml.jpg

J-P on
    Ray gun and sharpies.
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Lexxy wrote: »
    (Lexxy's Drawing)

That is the most eerily adorable thing.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
    edited November 2009
    (Lexxy's Drawing)

That is the most eerily adorable thing.

:< i want zombie nibbles...

PROX on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    PROX uses creeper!

It's super effective!

Tam on
    edited November 2009
    If it makes you feel better Prox having a girlfriend would probably mean you wouldn't be as good at drawing

Fugitive on
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    NooooOOOOoom noooOOOm noOOOOoom noooom nooooOOOOOOOOOom!

[tiny]I could delete this TotP, but I won't.[/tiny]

BotP:
    zombienibbles.png

J-P wrote: »
    biosml.jpg

Flay on
    edited November 2009
    If it makes you feel better Prox having a girlfriend would probably mean you wouldn't be as good at drawing

My Amazing Professor apparently had a wife once, and had a daughter with her.......

...apparently years ago, she said something to the effect of "it's either the art, or me" to him.....and I guess he chose the art.

NightDragon on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited November 2009
    That is adorable Lexx.

But you already knew that.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Mes3Mes3 Lurking behind your toilet Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Crappy cellphone pic ahead...

l_87016e7188ca4230a4f98010fae0446a.jpg

I'm gonna redo this (sometime soon) so composition is a bit different. Don't like it as is.

Mes3 on
    http://rjnewman.blogspot.com/ | Follow me on instagram @ messiah3x
  • brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Mes3: I really dig that Stained Glass/Salior Jerry feel going on, but yea, some things are out of place: The tree limb seems to come out of nowhere, and the rose up top is creeping pretty close to the hourglass. I get the ying/yang concept and your style is tight.

I know the actual Ying Yang design is overused, but it is a classic for a reason. Variations on that theme in terms of the use of negitave space are great, as in The Great Wave off Kanagawa. I don't know if my ramblings are helpful, but I am really looking forward to where you go from this...

Lexxy: awwWWWWwww

brokecracker on
    edited November 2009
    Mes, you just need to make the banner and script much bigger and loosen up the roses some.

Guy Bell on
  • LexxyLexxy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ehee~ :3

J-P, her boobs look like they're made of some kind of bumpy, ripply material D; Smooth that shading out!

Lexxy on
  • ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Sublimus wrote: »
    Thane wrote: »

also, this
    *thane's black key drawing that we don't need taking up anymore space*

Most band names go with the duel meaning, it could alot of things

i think at least

Also Zombie Red Riding Hood is my favorite thing to emerge from the forum

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I always thought it meant black bags of cocaine

brokecracker on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    ...apparently years ago, she said something to the effect of "it's either the art, or me" to him.....and I guess he chose the art.

Thats pretty ridiculous. Silly wife of your professor.

I want to shake her and tell her that plenty of great artists have spouses.

Wassermelone on
    edited November 2009

Thats pretty ridiculous. Silly wife of your professor.

I want to shake her and tell her that plenty of great artists have spouses.

Yeah, I mean....honestly? I would've made the same choice.

I can understand the whole "you're spending a lot of time in your studio, and not with me instead" argument...but at the same time, I think it has to be understood that if you're with an artist, you're going to have to allow them to have their "art time"...which in the vast majority of cases, probably does not include the you. I guess she just felt that he was spending too much time on his art.

For this guy especially, though, art is his life...so her ultimatum was a pretty ridiculous one...though it would be a silly one to make for most artists, I assume.

NightDragon on
  • Mes3Mes3 Lurking behind your toilet Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Mes3: I really dig that Stained Glass/Salior Jerry feel going on, but yea, some things are out of place: The tree limb seems to come out of nowhere, and the rose up top is creeping pretty close to the hourglass. I get the ying/yang concept and your style is tight.

I know the actual Ying Yang design is overused, but it is a classic for a reason. Variations on that theme in terms of the use of negitave space are great, as in The Great Wave off Kanagawa. I don't know if my ramblings are helpful, but I am really looking forward to where you go from this...

I totally agree with what your saying. Looking at again and your right, the limb needs to be more integrated. Thanks!
    Guy Bell wrote: »
    Mes, you just need to make the banner and script much bigger and loosen up the roses some.

I don't know how I feel about making MUCH bigger, but I could actually stylize the script and have it spill outside the banner (if you know what I saying). By loosening up the roses, do you mean making em more free flowing? If so, I think you may be right!

Mes3 on
    http://rjnewman.blogspot.com/ | Follow me on instagram @ messiah3x
  • J-PJ-P Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ehee~ :3

J-P, her boobs look like they're made of some kind of bumpy, ripply material D; Smooth that shading out!

Done and done.

No need for me to re-post the image here, but it does look way better. Thanks lady :D

J-P on
    Ray gun and sharpies.
    edited November 2009
    Mes3 wrote: »

I totally agree with what your saying. Looking at again and your right, the limb needs to be more integrated. Thanks!
    Guy Bell wrote: »

I don't know how I feel about making MUCH bigger, but I could actually stylize the script and have it spill outside the banner (if you know what I saying). By loosening up the roses, do you mean making em more free flowing? If so, I think you may be right!

Yeah, I think your right about having the script spill over the banner (at least the first letter). For the rose I meant less petals and just looser flowing lines.

Guy Bell on
  • AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    10 minute narwhal doodle. :(

narwhal.jpg

AlyceInWonderland on
  • VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    oh man that is so awesome!

Veritas on
This discussion has been closed.