As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Questions, Discussion and Tutorials

• TamTam Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Anyone know of a way to make an animated gif where the view scrolls across an image smoothly without using a bajillion frames?

Tam on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Tam wrote: »
    Anyone know of a way to make an animated gif where the view scrolls across an image smoothly without using a bajillion frames?

That's more of a flash thing, Tam. Animated .gif files work the same way as filmstrips, the only way to make a smooth sliding motion is to use so many frames that the viewer can't tell you're actually moving the image along a frame at a time.

Brolo on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Rolo wrote: »

That's more of a flash thing, Tam. Animated .gif files work the same way as filmstrips, the only way to make a smooth sliding motion is to use so many frames that the viewer can't tell you're actually moving the image along a frame at a time.

well dang it

Tam on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2009
    you can always put it into a program like premiere or after effects, export it as a video (that will automatically create motion blur and such) and then re-import it as frames into photoshop and export it as an animated gif

which is basically way too much work and won't look all that great

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • deadlydoritodeadlydorito __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Is there a way to make the color pallete in photoshop into an AWSOME wheel like in corel painter?

deadlydorito on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Rolo wrote: »

You could do it with CSS, too.

mattharvest on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2009
    Is there a way to make the color pallete in photoshop into an AWSOME wheel like in corel painter?

You can change the pallete in photoshop a bit (you can ignore my sloppy handwriting )
    http://iruka.iseenothing.com/2.jpg

If you leave your swatch window open, you also have some options with swatch sets:
    http://monkeyslunch.deviantart.com/art/Color-Wheel-Swatch-Set-for-PS-81083319

http://jadotx.deviantart.com/art/color-wheel-swatch-skin-hair-139453656

Iruka on
  • CrowlestonCrowleston Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Iruka wrote: »
    Ah, thats better than nothing. Thanks mensch! Still not quite what Im looking for, I guess PS is my only option for having multple images tiled. I guess I can also adopt the "stitch all the images into one" method.

Do you have Adobe Bridge?

Crowleston on
    useless but necessary objects of society.
  • worstcaseworstcase Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Oh sorry this is so late, but thanks ND that helped a lot!
    Manovon, ha, well i saw this really cool one that was a photograph. I think i am going to try and make one later this week.

It shall be interesting

worstcase on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    there're old school cameras that look like viewfinders or weird fancy little binoculars that take stereoscopic pictures.

also, the university has linear topography maps and these cool viewers that slide over the top to view them too. very rad.

but yeah, for a photograph, wikipedia says to take the pictures roughly 65mm apart. I would assume ensuring that the two pictures are focusing on the same object would help.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited November 2009
    Crowleston wrote: »
    Ah, thats better than nothing. Thanks mensch! Still not quite what Im looking for, I guess PS is my only option for having multple images tiled. I guess I can also adopt the "stitch all the images into one" method.

No, I don't. But they have it on campus, so I can play with it. What about it?

Iruka on
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So a whiiiile back, someone posted a site that had script for what I believe was a javascript gallery to create a portfolio on your website. Anyone have the link? I know I bookmarked it, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Prospicience on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    Was it this?

Orikaeshigitae on
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That would indeed be it or if it's not, it's still pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Thank you good sir!

Prospicience on
  • CrowlestonCrowleston Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Crowleston wrote: »

No, I don't. But they have it on campus, so I can play with it. What about it?

Sorry I should have continued. I think it's what you are looking for. It tiles images for view, and you can resize, and rearange according to pretty much anything you want.

Crowleston on
    useless but necessary objects of society.
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hey fellas, im working on an acrylic painting and am planning to add finer details in with coloured pencil. DOes anyone know the best way for me to seal it when i finish? Ive got a can of spray varnish and also a can of sealant spray. Is that enough? What do you guys do?

winter_combat_knight on
    edited November 2009
    Wait what? Does that work? What type of color pencils? Sounds kinda cool.

If it wouldn't smudge, Id say a layer of matte medium over it would seal it pretty decently, but I usually spray fix drawings, myself. Just do that shit outside, spray fix is terrible.

Also, Crowleston, thanks! Ill check it out :D

Iruka on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I might do some tests on some old paintings.
    The acrylic/colour pencil idea i got from looking at Drew Struzans work.

winter_combat_knight on
  • JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Does anyone know a good program, or a good way to digitalize images?

By this I mean, say I draw something, how do I draw over it/change it digitally so that it looks more computer designed? Or how do I just make changes in general, and what's the best thing to do this with?

basically, I'm going to be putting designs on T-Shirts, and need a way to make the designs from pencil to ink.

Johannen on
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Johannen wrote: »
    Does anyone know a good program, or a good way to digitalize images?

By this I mean, say I draw something, how do I draw over it/change it digitally so that it looks more computer designed? Or how do I just make changes in general, and what's the best thing to do this with?

basically, I'm going to be putting designs on T-Shirts, and need a way to make the designs from pencil to ink.

Scan, trace in Illustrator or Photoshop.

NibCrom on
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Illustrator > Live Trace > Expand

then you can have it automatically traced and edit it from that point.

mully on
    edited November 2009
    So.... Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop to load it up and get it ready, then Live Trace to auto trace it before updating it and adding to it back with Photoshop/Illustrator again, and then Expand?

I'm not great when it comes to this.

Johannen on
    edited November 2009
    Well if you're starting from a pencil drawing, you need to get it onto the computer somehow, so you're going to need a scanner.

Scan it using the scanning software that came with the scanner (or go to Photoshop, select File > Import > (Your scanner name here).

Now you have your image on the computer. How you clean it up/copy it is up to you. Using either Photoshop or Illustrator (or really any image program) you can use your pencil drawing as a template for your finished product. So you can keep the original scan on a layer in Photoshop, and paint over it on a new layer.

Illustrator would work fine too. Depending on what kind of image you are using, it might be more appropriate. Generally Photoshop is for raster art (pixel-based) and Illustrator is for vector art (shapes, etc.). You can do the same sort of thing in Illustrator. Put your original art on a layer, and trace over it on a new layer.

When Mully is talking about Live Trace, it's a feature in the Illustrator program. Depending on how clean your original art is, it can work pretty well. I usually don't have much luck with it and just end up drawing it the old-fashioned way.

NibCrom on
    edited November 2009
    Is it a good idea to get a Wacom tablet or something for this kind of work?

Johannen on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So guys, I could sure use some help on understanding color theory.

But wait! Before you all jump down my throat, note that I have scanned through the OP thoroughly, and am fully aware of all the nifty color theory books and websites. However, i'm afraid that I can't afford them all, and i'd much rather have a physical copy of material to work with than having to read a website for hours on end.

Which one of the books listed is the best one to go with? Or maybe there's an unlisted book that's the superior pick?

I'll be doing my entire painting exercises in gouache, and I know how different color mediums react differently with one another at times, so that's something to think about. Also despite how renowned she is, I can't stand reading through Betty Edwards.

Just ugh.

So long as it's not her writing style I have to put up with i'm good.

Any help is appreciated!

Godfather on
    edited November 2009
    Johannen wrote: »
    Is it a good idea to get a Wacom tablet or something for this kind of work?

A Wacom tablet can be a big investment. A larger one is about $500. If you learn how to use Illustrator, you won't need to rely on a tablet (although you could certainly use one). If you're unfamiliar with illustration/design, I would not suggest investing in a tablet unless you know you're going to be using it. Concentrate on learning the programs first.

NibCrom on
    edited November 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    So guys, I could sure use some help on understanding color theory.

But wait! Before you all jump down my throat, note that I have scanned through the OP thoroughly, and am fully aware of all the nifty color theory books and websites. However, i'm afraid that I can't afford them all, and i'd much rather have a physical copy of material to work with than having to read a website for hours on end.

Which one of the books listed is the best one to go with? Or maybe there's an unlisted book that's the superior pick?

I'll be doing my entire painting exercises in gouache, and I know how different color mediums react differently with one another at times, so that's something to think about. Also despite how renowned she is, I can't stand reading through Betty Edwards.

Just ugh.

So long as it's not her writing style I have to put up with i'm good.

Any help is appreciated!

Betty Edwards pretty much sucks when dealing with color. I would stick with books from Johannes Itten or Josef Albers.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited November 2009
    Oh thank God. I was afraid I was going to have to stomach another one of her books!

Also, Josef Albers isn't listed in the OP. Am I looking for the book titled Interaction of Color?

Godfather on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Godfather, you should get Alla Prima. Also Gurney's book on light and color if it ever comes out...which it probably won't for at least a year or more.

rts on
    edited November 2009
    That book looks pretty sweet cake. I'd love to get you to sit down and write a list of books you own/like in general.

Iruka on
    edited November 2009
    yeah, that'd be it.

As for Itten, I'd go for the Art of Color from Itten instead of Elements. Unfortunately both are costly compared to their page count.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited November 2009
    That book looks pretty sweet cake. I'd love to get you to sit down and write a list of books you own/like in general.

I might do that. There used to be this awesome list of books on Erik Gist's old forum but he took the forum down awhile ago. I will try to put together a small list of must-own books. Alla Prima (and Kevin will easily recommend it as well..and has on this forum a few times) would pretty much be at the top of that list for painting.

rts on
    edited November 2009
    That would actually give me a reason to exploit the amazing library mica has in my last year. I'd appreciate it alot.

Iruka on
    edited November 2009
    cakemikz wrote: »
    Godfather, you should get Alla Prima. Also Gurney's book on light and color if it ever comes out...which it probably won't for at least a year or more.

That looks pretty slick Cake.

How's it read? On a scale of Edwards (eye-gouging) to Burne Hogarth (fan-fucking-tastic)?

Godfather on
    edited November 2009
    Well I don't like either of those people but I like Schmid. It's not the most exciting read in the world but it is probably the best book on painting that exists today.

Iruka go ahead and give me a maximum number of books to put on the list and I will go ahead and make one.

rts on
    edited November 2009
    Burne Hogarth does all those Dynamic Figure/Anatomy/whatever books.

Has the most approachable writing style i've ever read in an art book.

He got me to read about the history of anatomic study. Holy shit.

Godfather on
    edited November 2009
    Yeah...he's not terrible. I think he is overrated though. And at Watts we use his dynamic drapery book as an example of how not to draw drapery.

rts on
    edited November 2009
    Well I don't like either of those people but I like Schmid. It's not the most exciting read in the world but it is probably the best book on painting that exists today.

Iruka go ahead and give me a maximum number of books to put on the list and I will go ahead and make one.

I think I can only rent out 5 at a time, so like 25-30? I'm particularly interested in color, painting techniques, figure studies, and pattern.

Iruka on
    edited November 2009
    Ironically, that's the one book of his that I don't own!

But yeah, some of his studies work great, and some of them are so completely off it's hilarious.

But it's the writing that keeps you coming back for more, so it's a balance I suppose.

EDIT: Wait, shit, I DO own that book. Damn.

How do I correct this problem?

Godfather on
    edited November 2009

I think I can only rent out 5 at a time, so like 25-30? I'm particularly interested in color, painting techniques, figure studies, and pattern.

I'll get on that then.

rts on
This discussion has been closed.