As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Questions, Discussion and Tutorials

• TamTam Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I remember picking up Hogarth's anatomy book and doing a few of those drawings. A few days later, I opened an anatomy textbook, looked at my drawings, then the ones in the book, and was like "buh?!?!?"

Tam on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hogarth constructed this elaborate system for constructing anatomy from imagination.

And it works! But you gotta know what's going to work and what's the bullshit.

Godfather on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well my list is up to 22 books. There are a few that I can think of that I don't have though, that I would like to get the exact names and authors from Erik or Lucas before I post the list. I am also going to try to take the time to write a little about each one so you have some idea of what it is before you go out and buy it.

rts on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Do already have Everybody Poops on your list?

Tam on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hogarth's drawings have no fat or skin, they are just muscle groups held together by magic. I don't think I've ever seen a Hogarth drawing of an obese or elderly person.

Brolo on
  • Guy BellGuy Bell Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    cakemikz wrote: »
    Well I don't like either of those people but I like Schmid. It's not the most exciting read in the world but it is probably the best book on painting that exists today.

Iruka go ahead and give me a maximum number of books to put on the list and I will go ahead and make one.

I agree. I think it's one of the "must have" art books. Just wondering what you thought of the work of one of his students, Casey Baugh. I like his technique and he's obviously extremely talented, but it almost looks like fashion photography. All of his female subjects are these beautiful European looking models.

Guy Bell on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Rolo wrote: »
    Hogarth's drawings have no fat or skin, they are just muscle groups held together by magic.

Ahahah! Oh, you made me laugh so much!

MagicToaster on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Guy Bell wrote: »
    cakemikz wrote: »
    Well I don't like either of those people but I like Schmid. It's not the most exciting read in the world but it is probably the best book on painting that exists today.

Iruka go ahead and give me a maximum number of books to put on the list and I will go ahead and make one.

I agree. I think it's one of the "must have" art books. Just wondering what you thought of the work of one of his students, Casey Baugh. I like his technique and he's obviously extremely talented, but it almost looks like fashion photography. All of his female subjects are these beautiful European looking models.

He looks like he paints a lot like the LA guys, Lipking and such. Though I would say where he is losing his edges feels really forced. But very very nice paintings for sure.

rts on
  • KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Here are my two cents about color theory

Color theory the way its talked about in books and all never really resonated with me. Schmidt does color charts but immersion is the only thing that worked for me. Meaning I just went out and did a lot of landscape painting, and a lot of still lifes and a couple master copies. I usually painted over studies as soon as they were dry. Most important thing I came to understand was warm and cool relationships, light is thick, shadow is transparent, and its all very relative. What works in one painting doesnt work exactly the same in the next. If you start thinking oh this mixture= this then you end up with alot of paintings that all look alike. Just do it enough that you just start going with gut reactions. I learned the principles of color, which if Im having trouble I refer to but not really part of my thought process usually. I dont really get the idea of color charts either. "this is the color of chinese skin in moonlight" or this is 1 part yellow and 2 part red oxide but that color will change the second you put another next to it.

Kendeathwalker on
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So I'm on my university break now and I'm looking to take on some design comissions. Really easy beginner style stuff, just to test the waters and figure out how this system works. Any advice on how to get started, where I should look and other useful things?

Flay on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    OK, when you talk about color theory, what exactly are you referring to? To me, color theory is weather the color model you're using is additive or subtractive and what colors you mix in each to make x color.

MagicToaster on
  • wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Anyone know any good video tutorials on zbrush? Like, I can make heads and busts all day long but I don't even know where to begin doing a full model.

I have 2 months to ace this shit, but everywhere I look I just get a preview of a tutorial.

wakkawa on
  • worstcaseworstcase Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hey do any of you know what would be a good idea for a t-shirt for homeless peeps?
    We have the tshirt design its splattery bird things but we need a good slogan-words on the shirt.
    We came up with: Love on impulse and Love Act. But we need something a little less gay.
    Any help would be super super super super supeerr

worstcase on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    wakkawa wrote: »
    Anyone know any good video tutorials on zbrush? Like, I can make heads and busts all day long but I don't even know where to begin doing a full model.

I have 2 months to ace this shit, but everywhere I look I just get a preview of a tutorial.

What exactly are you looking to do? Model with ZSpheres? Or are you planning on making a low-poly model in Max or Maya and bringing it into ZBrush for editing and detailing?

Eat chyo haht out:

http://www.pixologic.com/zclassroom/

If you go to the ZBrushCentral tutorial forum, and click "rating", that should bring the best tutorials up-front. Some of 'em are video tutorials.

NightDragon on
  • wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    wakkawa wrote: »

What exactly are you looking to do? Model with ZSpheres? Or are you planning on making a low-poly model in Max or Maya and bringing it into ZBrush for editing and detailing?

Eat chyo haht out:

http://www.pixologic.com/zclassroom/

If you go to the ZBrushCentral tutorial forum, and click "rating", that should bring the best tutorials up-front. Some of 'em are video tutorials.

Pretty much make everything in zbrush. I want to learn maya, but zbrush seems a little more fun. I do know that they work deliciously together though.

wakkawa on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hey fellas, could anyone please recomment me a good PDF hosting website?

winter_combat_knight on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hey fellas, could anyone please recomment me a good PDF hosting website?

like just to host .pdf files, or am I reading this wrong?

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited November 2009
    aye correct. Host .PDF files. ive got a 4mb file which i want someone to see, but i dont want to cram their email inbox :)

winter_combat_knight on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    fuck 4 megs isn't shit for email anymore.

also, why don't you have your own webspace yet? it's cheap as shit.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited November 2009
    If someone could recommend me a great beginner-friendly book to learn Flash, i'd really appreciate it!

Godfather on
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    If someone could recommend me a great beginner-friendly book to learn Flash, i'd really appreciate it!

Have you tried Flash CS4? I found it much easier to learn than CS3.

NibCrom on
    edited November 2009
    aye correct. Host .PDF files. ive got a 4mb file which i want someone to see, but i dont want to cram their email inbox :)

Would Google docs work for this? Don't know if that is free, but I know it can host PDFs.

NibCrom on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Other than Paypal, what are my options as far as getting paid by someone in Australia (Im in the US) for freelance?

Wassermelone on
  • Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wassermelone, there's always http://www.westernunion.com/info/selectCountry.asp
    I'm sure if you just search "online money transfer" you'll get a couple more places.
    Oh god I just told you to Google something, I'm so sorry.

Arden Canelo on
  • NatriNatri Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Newbie question: I was just about to get rid of a shitload of cardboard boxes when out of the blue I figured I could use them for painting on. I have practically zero experience with painting, which is why I thought it could be a cheap way to practice, instead of buying expensive paperpads. My question is, what do I have to do with the cardboard before actually painting on it? Is it even a good idea to start painting on cardboard?

Natri on
    www.instagram.com/ceneven
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Natri wrote: »
    Newbie question: I was just about to get rid of a shitload of cardboard boxes when out of the blue I figured I could use them for painting on. I have practically zero experience with painting, which is why I thought it could be a cheap way to practice, instead of buying expensive paperpads. My question is, what do I have to do with the cardboard before actually painting on it? Is it even a good idea to start painting on cardboard?

You can paint on cardboard generally the same way as with paper. You can gesso it if you want a more fixed surface, but the paper should generally be fine.

mattharvest on
  • AwkAwk Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Im considering purchasing a new laptop and im thinking of getting one with a smaller screen. Anyone draw on a small screen like that before? Should i expect it to be ok? It will be for casual drawing and stuff like that.

Awk on
    edited November 2009
    NibCrom wrote: »

Would Google docs work for this? Don't know if that is free, but I know it can host PDFs.

Cheers mate. Google docs works!

winter_combat_knight on
    edited November 2009
    NibCrom wrote: »

Cheers mate. Google docs works!

Yay!

NibCrom on
  • mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Awk wrote: »
    Im considering purchasing a new laptop and im thinking of getting one with a smaller screen. Anyone draw on a small screen like that before? Should i expect it to be ok? It will be for casual drawing and stuff like that.

depends how small you're looking for. i draw on a 15'' just fine, and i doubt something like 12'' would be a big deal, but if your thinking about, like, an EEE i doubt it'd be very fun for your eyes. but if by 'casual drawing' you mean around an hour of not-very-detailed stuff you should be fine.

mensch-o-matic on
  • KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    anybody here using painter 9 or later.. I have a question for you.. there is a clear impasto command that elimantes everything on the canvas. Is there a way you can slelect areas and clear the impasto only there?

Kendeathwalker on
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hmm... I have a problem on my hands.

I'm currently studying a double degree of design in visual communication and international studies, but I'm starting to have doubts as to whether I should continue with the international studies course or drop it and focus solely on design instead.

If I continue the way I'm going, I'll start studying Japanese language and culture next year, and in my fifth year I'll have the opportunity to study overseas at a Japanese university for one or two semesters.

However, there are some downsides. By studying International Studies, I miss out on the opportunity to study a sub-major in my viscomm course. Sub majors include things like illustration, video production and photography. Also, visual communications alone is a four year course, but with international studies it becomes a six year one, but to be honest this doesn't really bother me.

I would LOVE to study Japanese, and to spend time overseas (since I never have), but I'm worried I'll miss out on an opportunity to learn something extremely valuable for my future as a designer. I was hoping someone could offer some insight as to what I should do.

Thanks guys.

Flay on
  • Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I come to you, my fellow artists, with a question. Is a man not entitled t...not that question. I could look it up, but you guys are so much fun to ask. And you have life experience.
    I started doing business with a person today and they wanted to know my rates. I said I'd have to get back to them since I'm fairly new to this. I've had at least some industry experience, but not a whole bunch. What I want to know is what how much should I charge for illustrations in a children's book? Sketches? Completed work? Hourly pay? I've worked with a few companies before so I'm not a total amateur. Can someone tell me a few things like this from personal experience in the artist world? Thanks.

EDIT: I'm an idiot who doesn't use Google. I'll fix that now...

Arden Canelo on
    edited November 2009
    Ugh, i'm starting to get frustrated with both my intuos 3 tablet and CS4.

I finally got some free time to get aquainted with my tablet via learning the set-up, functions, and all that jazz. I've used a tablet in my flash class before, so this should be a cinch, right?

Wrong.

For some ungodly reason Photoshop CS4 outright refuses to recognize pressure sensitivity, period.

I've installed the latest driver from Adobe, made sure the pressure sensitivity is on in the Shape Dynamics menu, even clicked Remove for All Users in the Tablet File Preface Utility folder.

Nothing is fucking working, and it's driving me up the goddamn wall.

On a side note, there is an extreme lag on whatever I draw when it comes to CS4. I'm pretty sure my system requirements fit the bill (i'm using an HP Pavillion dv7-1025 Notebook PC with a Vista 64-bit operating system), so this should not be happening!

What the flying fuck is going on here? Grah!

Godfather on
  • WastingPenguinsWastingPenguins Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hey Godfather, prolly a silly question but have you tried just rebooting your computer? My photoshop will sometimes randomly refuse to recognize pen pressure too. I can usually get it to work simply by: unplugging tablet, shutting system down, re-plugging, reboot system. As long as the drivers are properly installed it should work. If not then, who knows!

As for the lag -- I'm running a similar computer, also with Vista64, and lag is a sure sign that my system resources are tangled up elsewhere and my system needs a simple reboot.

WastingPenguins on
    edited November 2009
    Well, I don't know why or how, but suddenly my pressure sensitivity is recognized by CS4. I didn't restart it or anything, it just happened. Hrm.

The lag is still there however, but this might be one of those programs that requires me to shut down everything else in order to use it cleanly. I'll keep you updated if there's any major change, thanks guys!

Godfather on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    Well, I don't know why or how, but suddenly my pressure sensitivity is recognized by CS4. I didn't restart it or anything, it just happened. Hrm.

The lag is still there however, but this might be one of those programs that requires me to shut down everything else in order to use it cleanly. I'll keep you updated if there's any major change, thanks guys!

Literally two days ago, I was having these problems with CS4 and my Intuos3 on my Win7 system. I re-installed the Wacom drivers, rebooted, and it was fine I don't know if that would help you, or if you've tried it.

mattharvest on
  • bentbent Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I was having really similar problems with my tablet; it was fixed when I re-installed the drivers but irritated the crap out of me for quite some time.

bent on
    sig1.png
  • GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Flay wrote: »
    Hmm... I have a problem on my hands.
    I'm currently studying a double degree of design in visual communication and international studies, but I'm starting to have doubts as to whether I should continue with the international studies course or drop it and focus solely on design instead.

If I continue the way I'm going, I'll start studying Japanese language and culture next year, and in my fifth year I'll have the opportunity to study overseas at a Japanese university for one or two semesters.

However, there are some downsides. By studying International Studies, I miss out on the opportunity to study a sub-major in my viscomm course. Sub majors include things like illustration, video production and photography. Also, visual communications alone is a four year course, but with international studies it becomes a six year one, but to be honest this doesn't really bother me.

I would LOVE to study Japanese, and to spend time overseas (since I never have), but I'm worried I'll miss out on an opportunity to learn something extremely valuable for my future as a designer. I was hoping someone could offer some insight as to what I should do.

Thanks guys.

Do what sounds like the most fun.

A degree doesn't dictate what you can 'study' or 'focus on' and you will not miss out on anything "extremely valuable" that you cannot teach yourself.

If you have never been overseas, then you should go to Japan -- the experience will be far more valuable to you than any curriculum design shite they teach you at drawy-school.

Good luck!

Grenn on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Blender question, and it's pretty vague. I've been using Blender for a while, and it's always bothered me how blocky my low-poly models look, because each polygon is lit individually. But I looked at someone else's mesh today, and it didn't have that at all. The other ones isn't subsurfed, and there are no textures applied. What confuses me even more is that the breast polygons on my model aren't as blocky as other parts, and I don't know why. How do I make my model (left) look like the one on the right in the editor (not the render engine)?

lighting.png

Delzhand on
This discussion has been closed.