As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Liquidizing! Metal Gear Solid 2! [56K MUST GO!]

Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
Metal_gear_solid_2_sons_of_liberty.jpg
2001: A blockbuster title is released. MGS2. People have been waiting for years. Things happen. Game is released to critical acclaim and roaring outrage. It's a good game, don't get the masses wrong, it's just the whole, "LOL, Snake is bak, SYKE! Play as Raiden, bitch!" thing was very mean. Anyway, you are Snake/Raiden. Terrorists have a giant walking nuclear tank. Go and take out the terrorists, rescue some hostages, and disable the giant tank. This is the great sequal to the greatest stealth action game of the 90's. The game is not about running around shooting everything that moves. It's about sneaking past the guards, taking them out indirectly, and not being seen.

Oh, but you could, if you so choose, to shoot everything that moves. It's just harder that way.
xb_metalgearsubstance.jpg
Released shortly after for Xbox, PS2, and PC, MGS2: Substance is a revamped version of MGS2. The big new feature was the VR missions, Snake Tales(additional mode where you played as snake in a variety of wierd to normal things. One mission has you taking on Godzilla guard, I believe.) Besides that, it's pretty much the same.

Demo of some shitty X-TREME sports game, but with snake, found in the PS2 version of Substance(Thank Unco-ordinated!)
ss_mgs2_substance2.jpg

Raiden makes for a bad Lightning god.
cute_electric1e0.gif

Good friends
solidshakegifc68.gif
My wallpaper
mgs2_9_d51.jpg

So, recently got back into MGS 2. Good game, confusing plot.
ITT: Let's discuss the plot, what we like about the game, maybe some MGS4 and 3 and 1 stuff. And cookies. Every thread needs cookies.

Not In This Thread: Games that are not somehow related to Metal Gear. So, if you want to recommend ZOE to everyone, you can. But no talk of DMC or something very unrelated.
No flaming the game. If you don't like it, why post here?

*I'd like to thank AL Cu Ad Solte of the SomethingAwful forums for taking these wonderous picture. I don't know you, but thanks for taking good pics.*

Note: He took more pics, but their kinda spoilery, so I'm not gonna post em right now. I just posted the one above because I really like them.

That's it, have fun.

La-le-lu-li-lo?

Gorilla Salad on

• SNESSNES Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't think I played through this enough times.

Still don't have all the dog tags. Also, I'm angry I couldn't find Substance. Argh.

SNES on
    MP:H-2019-3115-7752
    MKDS Friend Code: 476-802-986-689
    AC:WW Friend Code:3823-1420-6253
    Pokemon Friend Code: 3222 2050 0417
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Wait, you don't play as Snake in this game?

Then what the fuck is he doing on the cover?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Because the main character is still Solid Snake.

Kami on
    edited March 2007

You play as him, yeah.

At first.

SNES on
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

There are two chapters. You play as Snake for the first, short, Tanker chapter. Then you play as Raiden for the rest of the game, in the Plant chapter.

He is also the main focus of the story, regardless.

mntorankusu on
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Gets more money because if they put raiden on the cover, then it's, "That game has a fag on the cover. Not buyin it." With snake, it's, "Wow, that guy looks like a total badass. I'll take 8! Woobwoobwoooobwoob"

Very simple.

Gorilla Salad on
  • CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I liked the whole Raiden thing

Not because you got to play as Raiden, but that you got to see Snake from a third person. Sure, being Solid Snake and taking down a ton of soldiers is awesome, but teaming up with Solid Snake to take down a ton of soldiers is sorta awesomer.

CangoFett on
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Senor Fish wrote: »

Gets more money because if they put raiden on the cover, then it's, "That game has a fag on the cover. Not buyin it." With snake, it's, "Wow, that guy looks like a total badass. I'll take 8! Woobwoobwoooobwoob"

Very simple.
    TV2006070722405900.jpg

South Korea wins.

mntorankusu on
    edited March 2007

Very simple.
    TV2006070722405900.jpg

South Korea wins.
    I hate south korea.

Gorilla Salad on
    edited March 2007

Very simple.
    TV2006070722405900.jpg

South Korea wins.

I don't understand why we didn't get that cover. Besides the whole 'lol secret Raiden' thing.

SNES on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

Wait, you entered a MGS2 thread and have no idea about Raiden five and half years after MGS2 was released? O_o

Anyway, I played MGS2 to death. I have all the dogtags in the normal release, but still haven't gotten around to getting them all in Substance.

Btw, the skateboarding mode (which was a demo of one of Konami's shitty extreme sports games) was only available in the PS2 version of Substance.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    edited March 2007

Wait, you entered a MGS2 thread and have no idea about Raiden five and half years after MGS2 was released? O_o

Anyway, I played MGS2 to death. I have all the dogtags in the normal release, but still haven't gotten around to getting them all in Substance.

Btw, the skateboarding mode (which was a demo of one of Konami's shitty extreme sports games) was only available in the PS2 version of Substance.
    Thanks. Got to update the OP now.

Gorilla Salad on
  • LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    uhohsmg.jpg
    zomgmg.jpg
    ohnoesmg.jpg

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
    edited March 2007
    Lork wrote: »
    uhohsmg.jpg
    zomgmg.jpg
    ohnoesmg.jpg
    Awesome.

Gorilla Salad on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

Basically I didn't own a PSX, don't own a PS2, and have no plans of owning a PS3.

My only Metal Gear experience comes from owning the NES original, the GBC release, and playing the original via Bleemcast on my Dreamcast.

Considering picking up Portable Ops for my PSP, however.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    edited March 2007

Basically I didn't own a PSX, don't own a PS2, and have no plans of owning a PS3.

My only Metal Gear experience comes from owning the NES original, the GBC release, and playing the original via Bleemcast on my Dreamcast.

Do you have an Xbox or an Alright PC?

Gorilla Salad on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

The PC version was awful. Do not recommend it.

Daedalus on
    edited March 2007

The PC version was awful. Do not recommend it.
    But you can find the PC version of Substance for like $5 now. I bought it just to have in my collection.

And, unfortunately, Portable Ops pretty much relies on you having played MGS3, and preferably 1 as well. I wouldn't recommend it if you haven't played the rest of the series.

mntorankusu on
    edited March 2007
    *quote tree must be trimmed*
    I never played the PC version. Found the Xbox one for 8 bucks. Best 8 bucks spent in my life.

Gorilla Salad on
    edited March 2007
    There's nothing wrong with the PC version that wasn't wrong with the Xbox version. That is to say, there are some transparency issues and it's missing that snowboarding minigame; that's it.

Lork on
    edited March 2007
    20011130h.gif
    There's nothing wrong with the PC version that wasn't wrong with the Xbox version. That is to say, there are some transparency issues and it's missing that snowboarding minigame.

Except the Xbox controller was essentially the same as the PS2 controller, whereas the PC version's controls sucked ass.

Daedalus on
    edited March 2007
    Except the Xbox controller was essentially the same as the PS2 controller, whereas the PC version's controls sucked ass.
    So...it doesn't support gamepads?

mntorankusu on
    edited March 2007
    There's nothing wrong with the PC version that wasn't wrong with the Xbox version. That is to say, there are some transparency issues and it's missing that snowboarding minigame.

Xbox360Controller.jpg
    It even supports rumble.

Lork on
  • AHH!AHH! Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I tried playing with my keyboard before I got a gamepad

I couldn't aim in first person mode and shoot since it required like 5 buttons to be pressed

AHH! on
  • gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    And, unfortunately, Portable Ops pretty much relies on you having played MGS3, and preferably 1 as well. I wouldn't recommend it if you haven't played the rest of the series.

MGS3 is completely spoiled by MGS: PO, but you don't need to play any games in the series besides those two to fully appreciate either. Personally, I find MGS3: Subsistence to the best entry in the series by far, and would recommend starting with that.

gtrmp on
    edited March 2007

Xbox360Controller.jpg
    It even supports rumble.

I know of no PC gamepad with analog buttons. But if you know of one, then by all means, tell me so I can buy it. Even my PS2->USB adapter doesn't do analog buttons.

Daedalus on
    edited March 2007

Xbox360Controller
    It even supports rumble.

I know of no PC gamepad with analog buttons. But if you know of one, then by all means, tell me so I can buy it. Even my PS2->USB adapter doesn't do analog buttons.
    You could do a Google search for something like "pressure sensitive pc gamepad" and look at one of the many positive hits like I just did. I believe an Xbox Controller S or Duke with an adaptor will also work.

Or you could bind the "Soft" command to the left analog stick (when clicked) in the controls menu. That works pretty well too.

Lork on
    edited March 2007
    Either way, you should get some version of the game.

Gorilla Salad on