As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This is the [Droid] you're looking for - $199 with 2-year Contract, hits 11/6

• Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The Droid doesn't actually require, from what I have read (I would source it but I can never seem to find these again) any additional backend information to sync with an exchange server. Verizon may tell you it requires the $45 plan, but it should work no problem with the $30 plan.

Verizon corporate stores have Cellebrite machines (dedicated phone book transfer machines) instore. All they do is transfer your contacts from one phone to another, so yes, it can be done and then those contacts will all automatically upload to your Gmail account.

JAEF on
  • Options
    RobobanditRobobandit Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yep.

Boygeniusreport confirms that personal accounts can access exchange servers with the $30 plan.. The $45 plan is only for business accounts.. just like every other carrier.

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/11/04/verizon-droid-data-plan-30-with-exchange-support-for-consumer-lines/

Robobandit on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    RBach wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm/deny Infoworld's claim that you'll need to pony up for the $45/month data plan (instead of the $30/month plan) to get access to Exchange servers?
    It's true. The exchange server requires a lot more work and goes through your company's firewall. Because of that, there is a lot more involved and so it is a bit more pricey. Your work should seriously pay for it though, unless they don't require you to have a phone that supports it. If they only will pay for it if the line is in their name, have them perform an AOL to take your line from you and assume the contract. (AOL = Assumption Of Liability)
    This just in:
    Phandroid wrote:
    Gearlog talked with Verizon HQ to clarify the much debated extra $15 for Exchange confusion. The official response was good.

The bottom line is this: For personal accounts, the 30$ data plan includes everything – including Exchange. Business accounts have $45 data plans – and they too include Exchange.

So there you have it. The price depends solely on whether or not you’ve got a personal or a business account. There’s no “extra” for Exchange.

So cool. :^:

Edit: beat like a tiny kitten with too much energy. :(

gilrain on
  • Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    gilrain wrote: »
    RBach wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm/deny Infoworld's claim that you'll need to pony up for the $45/month data plan (instead of the $30/month plan) to get access to Exchange servers?
    It's true. The exchange server requires a lot more work and goes through your company's firewall. Because of that, there is a lot more involved and so it is a bit more pricey. Your work should seriously pay for it though, unless they don't require you to have a phone that supports it. If they only will pay for it if the line is in their name, have them perform an AOL to take your line from you and assume the contract. (AOL = Assumption Of Liability)
    This just in:
    Phandroid wrote:
    Gearlog talked with Verizon HQ to clarify the much debated extra $15 for Exchange confusion. The official response was good.

The bottom line is this: For personal accounts, the 30$ data plan includes everything – including Exchange. Business accounts have $45 data plans – and they too include Exchange.

So there you have it. The price depends solely on whether or not you’ve got a personal or a business account. There’s no “extra” for Exchange.

So cool. :^:

Edit: beat like a tiny kitten with too much energy. :(

Fair enough. Every other smartphone we sell requires the 45.00 plan for exchange.

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Man, all that rationalization for the steep price wasted, what a shame.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    Man, all that rationalization for the steep price wasted, what a shame.

I work there, I was just explaining how it was explained to me. Really, Exchange Server is all through the corporation. Why we charge more for it doesn't make any sense to me.

Dignified Pauper on
  • Options
    pheknophekno Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    In regards to transferring your contacts to your Gmail account:

If you have Verizon's Backup Assistant (I think that's what it's called) you can get a printable list of your backed up contacts and put it through a third-party parser which will then put it in to a CSV file which can be imported in to your Gmail contact list. You might still have to go through and merge some contacts, but it seems to work fairly well. I don't remember the name of the parser, it's somewhere on the interwebz. You cut and paste the printable list in to a web page and it converts everything to a CSV. One issue you might want to address before importing the contacts, though, is that the page adds some shitty note in to your contact, so you'd have to remove it. I used it for my wife and it worked pretty well.

Edit: Here's a link to some instructions and the web based script to perform the export, change and import. http://danshultz.blogspot.com/2009/01/import-verizon-backup-assistant.html

phekno on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    So, is anyone else waiting up until 12:30 AM (can't find out which time zone, so I'll start refreshing at 12:30 AM EST, to be safe) and ordering from My Verizon? If so, we should hang out here while we wait, as it gets closer. My god, I am sooo glad I have fun plans for this weekend, or else waiting for Monday would be murder. :P

gilrain on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I wish. My mother throws a shit fit whenever I mention anything about wanting it. "Its YOUR money do what YOU want with it." Which is another way of saying I will throw you out on the street if you buy it. Maybe they'll be restocked in time for my birthday (8 weeks from now)?

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'm not waiting up tonight, but I'm getting up early to make it to the store before it opens tomorrow (apparently the one I'm going to (in Minnesota, where I live) opens at 8). I'm going to try to pick up two, one for me and one for my wife. I'm not sure if they'll allow that. My NE2 date was Wednesday and she has an early upgrade credit to use and apparently she's a VIP so I guess that means she gets some other discount. Do you guys think they'll give me any grief for trying to get two? I also need to make changes to our account, too. We're going to try to switch to a family plan.

phekno on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, seems like everyone is going to the stores tomorrow, rather than order online. What, don't you bums work? ;P

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I work, but work is flexible and I have "errands" to run. :winky:

phekno on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    phekno wrote: »
    I'm not waiting up tonight, but I'm getting up early to make it to the store before it opens tomorrow (apparently the one I'm going to (in Minnesota, where I live) opens at 8). I'm going to try to pick up two, one for me and one for my wife. I'm not sure if they'll allow that. My NE2 date was Wednesday and she has an early upgrade credit to use and apparently she's a VIP so I guess that means she gets some other discount. Do you guys think they'll give me any grief for trying to get two? I also need to make changes to our account, too. We're going to try to switch to a family plan.
    As long as both your lines are eligible to upgrade, you'll be fine. You will get the opposite of grief. Most people use their upgrade face-to-face time to discuss their plans and make changes. For many that's the only time they do.

JAEF on
  • Options
    PlasticLackPlasticLack Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Waiting for midnight to roll around ...I'll be doing my purchase via Verizon's site.

Is anyone else concerned about size/weight of this sucker? I've always been one to keep my phone in my pants pocket. But a lot of the reviews are saying it's a bit too hefty for that.

PlasticLack on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Waiting for midnight to roll around ...I'll be doing my purchase via Verizon's site.

Is anyone else concerned about size/weight of this sucker? I've always been one to keep my phone in my pants pocket. But a lot of the reviews are saying it's a bit too hefty for that.
    I always keep my phone in my dedicated, right pocket. I've heard some reviews mention that it has a (usually described as nice) heft, but its size seems comparable to other, similar phones. I haven't held one, but based on the specs, I don't anticipate a problem.

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    15 minutes!

Dignified Pauper on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    So visual voice mail is a separate fee on Verizon. Does Android have an integrated visual VM, or does this still need to be added separately?

PlasticLack on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Woo! Ten minutes! I haven't been this excited for a release since, hm... Black & White? Yeah, I'm not generally a release day kind of guy. And Black & White was underwhelming, so I'm due a good release. ;P

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'm logged into my account and the Droid has been available since a couple minutes after midnight! GET THERE NOW!!

Edit: Also, it's taking FOREVER to process my order.

PlasticLack on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    So visual voice mail is a separate fee on Verizon. Does Android have an integrated visual VM, or does this still need to be added separately?

I saw something on Android Market that was similar to VVM.

Dignified Pauper on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'm logged into my account and the Droid has been available since a couple minutes after midnight! GET THERE NOW!!

Edit: Also, it's taking FOREVER to process my order.
    I don't see it listed. D:

gilrain on
  • Options
    Iceman2343Iceman2343 The sun went down with practiced bravado. Bel Air, MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    gilrain wrote: »
    I don't see it listed. D:
    Yeah I don't see it listed either.....

Iceman2343 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Mine is taking ages to load.

Dignified Pauper on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Well I think Verizon's servers are exploding right now, so that might explain some inconsistencies.

PlasticLack on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, now nothing is loading at all. They must be getting hammered. Honestly, with the sort of nerd-targeted commercials, I didn't expect a server-overloading response. :P

gilrain on
  • Options
    Iceman2343Iceman2343 The sun went down with practiced bravado. Bel Air, MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    What I am probably seeing, is what my browser has cached. That would explain why I don't see the droid listed but I see the other phones.

Iceman2343 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Man, this sucks. BOO. I even work there ad have to order online.

Dignified Pauper on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I got it here for $180. It's $150 with a new account. Nice. It seemed a little weird... but Phandroid is legit, so...

http://phandroid.cmail3.com/t/y/l/uyhtti/kilhsjyy/y

gilrain on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    VWZ has it for $150 for NE2. slick

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    All right y'all, I'm off to bed. The link I posted is speedy, if VZW keeps acting up. Hopefully ordering from a third party like this won't screw me over too bad. :P

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I don't have the ability to order through third party, DAMNIT!

Consensus among my fellow employees think Verizon locked us out from upgrading right away.

Dignified Pauper on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm gonna call my dad today and see if I can get either this or the Droid Eris soon.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    RobobanditRobobandit Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I was going to go to Verizon this morning to pick it up.. but then I checked best buy's website and found that my store got them in stock.. so I'm just going to roll up at 10 am and pick up my pre-ordered droid.

Robobandit on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm not usually one for early adoption, but I think I talked my boss into getting me this.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I was able to order it today! YES!

Dignified Pauper on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I imagine about a day's worth with the 1400.

Dignified Pauper on
  • Options
    KrizKriz Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    found it, haven't been reading the full reviews:

http://gizmodo.com/5396168/motorola-droid-review

Kriz on
  • Options
    TheGreat2ndTheGreat2nd Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Big question on my mind:

Motorola Droid or HTC Eris.

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
  • Options
    risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Just ordered. $150 with new every 2 for the win. Also got a higher discount on data then I was expecting. Wins all around.

Waiting will suck, but ordering online and not dealing with mail in garbage is worth it.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Got mine this morning at the local Verizon place. Really, really slick. I love the way it integrates your contacts into your Facebook as you add them (you can add them all at once, but I wanted to micromanage it)... Really great. My Imagio did FB syncing, but you had to select each contact one by one... The Droid does it all at once, and it's just so fast! I added a few Verizon-approved apps (SportsTap, Weather Channel, whatever), but there actually seem to be a ton of apps available, so that's exciting.

EDIT: Figured out my FB syncing issue by removing the account and re-adding it.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G