As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dark Horse! I have access to everything! What to read???

EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles.Portland, ORRegistered User regular
edited November 2009 in Graphic Violence
So I was just studying at the Portland State Library and I look to my left and what do I espy (and this is just a small section of it).

4047554109_2101af6011_o.jpg

I guess last year the founder of Dark Horse (and PSU Alumni) donated three of EVERYTHING Dark Horse has ever published and will ever publish to PSU.

Where do I start? I've done all the Hellboy and BPRD stuff. Kinda interested in the Star Wars series'? Halp. I didn't look too closely, but they had all the single issues as well as the graphic novels.

Esh on

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Personally, I'm a fan of The End League and Gigantic.

Munch on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The Goon is pretty good. Also, if I was there I'd read Conan and Usagi Yojimbo. I've never read them, but I assume they're good.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I like Conan.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Oh yeah, Kurt Busiek and Cary Nord's Conan is awesome. And Robos, you should totally read some Usagi Yojimbo if you have a little disposable income.

Other things to read; Achewood: The Great Outdoor Fight, Hard Boiled, Umbrella Academy, Aliens v.s. Predator, Red Rocket 7, Concrete, Groo, The Escapist, The Escapists, Badger, Nexus, Big Guy and Rusty the Boy Robot, Grendel, Martha Washington, The Mask, and Spyboy.

Munch on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Barkley vs. Godzilla.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Munch wrote: »
    Oh yeah, Kurt Busiek and Cary Nord's Conan is awesome. And Robos, you should totally read some Usagi Yojimbo if you have a little disposable income.

Other things to read; Achewood: The Great Outdoor Fight, Hard Boiled, Umbrella Academy, Aliens v.s. Predator, Red Rocket 7, Concrete, Groo, The Escapist, The Escapists, Badger, Nexus, Big Guy and Rusty the Boy Robot, Grendel, Martha Washington, The Mask, and Spyboy.

I forgot that Onstad is publishing under Dark Horse now. Hard Boiled is amazing. I remember reading that when it came out...

Esh on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    Didn't Dark Horse get the rights (in the states) to Battle Angel Alita back in the day?

Ah, a list of their publications:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dark_Horse_Comics_publications

Further edit: Eh, I liked what I read of Ghost. Interesting character ideas, and the art didn't hurt.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    All the star wars books, but especially the Tales series.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Anything from the LEGEND imprint (Next Men, Sin City, Madman, Hellboy, Concrete, etc).

Goon.

Nexus.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The Star Wars books are pretty great.

And like Munch said, The End League is good fun, depending on how up to date the library is.

The new Solomon Kane series that Dark Horse is putting out is good, if you like pulp heroes. From the same guy that created Conan, but about a Puritan monster hunter and all around badass in the Victorian era.

Buffy: Season 8 if you even remotely liked the Buffy series.

The Cal MacDonald stories are Dark Horse's answer to Hellblazer. Several really good, but dark, paranormal mysteries there.

Dark Horse is the current publisher of Fear Agent, but the series started out with Image. It's the best straight up sci-fi book around.

You said you've read Hellboy and BPRD, but make sure to check out the spin-offs too. Lobster Johnson, Witchfinder, and Abe Sapien all have good books. Or anything else with Mike Mignola's name on it.

Hensler on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Bloods End wrote: »
    All the star wars books, but especially the Tales series.

And super especially KOTOR

Furu on
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited November 2009
    Hensler wrote: »
    The Cal MacDonald stories are Dark Horse's answer to Hellblazer. Several really good, but dark, paranormal mysteries there.

yes yes yes yes yes yes yes

yes yes

Whippy on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Since no one else has mentioned any of their manga, Beserk and Eden: Its an Endless World are two series very worth reading.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I used to own the Cal McDonald novels. I liked the one where he beat a giant brain by dosing it with drugs.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    If we're talking about paranormal comics, I firmly believe everyone should read Dylan Dog: Case Files. One of Italy's most famous comics, a big chunk of it was recently collected by Dark Horse, and released in a 680 page volume.

Munch on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    definitely the goon, but DEFINITELY lone wolf and cub

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I liked the art from the Conan books. It grew on me after the first trade.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    it's cool because it's not inked, which gives it an interesting flair

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    bigwillchbigwillch Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Concrete and Flaming Carrot

bigwillch on
    fss.png
    xbox GT: Big Will C H
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited November 2009
    Of the stuff that's been mentioned I want to emphatically second

Hellboy
    Madman
    Next Men
    Concrete
    Sin City
    Flaming Carrot
    Nexus
    Martha Washington

and also add Dork (Evan Dorkin's wonderful comedy series), Grendel (the long-running dark action/horror book) and pretty much the entirety of Dark Horse Presents, an amazing anthology series featuring a huge rotating cast of creators in which a lot of the best of this stuff originally premiered, and which also featured several short pieces and serials that have yet to be collected anywhere else.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    BrimfieldBrimfield Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser

Brimfield on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    xbl: brimfields
  • Options
    Junior YankJunior Yank Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Dark Horse published Akira in six volumes, a few years ago. I think that they're out of print, but hopefully your library got them. Classic stuff.

Also from the same creator: Domu: A Child's Dream.

Junior Yank on
  • Options
    VermisVermis Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Usagi Yojimbo, though the first seven collections are published by Fantagraphics, not Dark Horse.
    Do they have the latest BPRD arcs? They were cracking, too. And I second Akira, if you have enough space on your wall for a big flow chart to keep track of it.
    I haven't read much (any) SW stuff in the last few years - falls to close to the Eps 1-3 tree for me - except for the Purge one-shot. A terrifyingly badass Vader almost makes up for Hayden Christensen. Older SW stuff... Jabba the Hutt is fun. (The Dynasty Trap!) And the reprints of the old newspaper strips.

Godzilla, if only to laugh at Art Adams' chins.
    Servo wrote: »
    it's cool because it's not inked, which gives it an interesting flair

It takes food out of the mouths of inkers and their waifs, which is why you should boycott it and write to your congressman/MP. I support the Inkers' Union - 'It's not just tracing!'

But seriously, see if they have The Art of Comic Book Inking too. ;)

Vermis on
    rulksig.jpg